WAMC/School List Help! (cGPA 3.9, MCAT 515, URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglover324

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m a first time applicant, so I just want some advice on my school list and if it’s reachable!
  1. cGPA: 3.91 sGPA: 3.9
  2. MCAT 515 (129/129/127/130)
  3. State of residence: OH
  4. Race: Black/AA
  5. Undergraduate institution: mid-level private institution. I also have an MPH (3.96 GPA) that I got because I’m really interested in public health!
  6. Clinical experience: medical scribe (60 hours at submission but 1800+ projected) and Caregiver for my grandparent (600 hours)
  7. Research: About 250 hours in a neurobiology lab for 2 ish years, 5 presentations (both oral and poster), no pubs
  8. Shadowing: 80 hours (online and in person - addiction medicine and ENT)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: around 400 hours (hospital navigator, NICU volunteer, intern for a tobacco prevention coalition, after school helper) and 1000 as a volunteer assistant coach and mentor for over 5 years
  10. Other extracurricular activities: I also was a D1 athlete and was a leader for a media symposium focusing on social advocacy
  11. Gap year: 1 year - volunteering at a food bank and place that helps families with food insecurity during my gap year, as well as scribing. I also want to learn Spanish because I really enjoyed it!
  12. Relevant honors or awards: dean’s list every semester, several student athlete honors and awards, part of an honor society
  13. I had an IA my freshman year for being in the same room as alcohol, but I owned up to it and did the necessary modules.
My list:
Northeast Ohio
Ohio state
Wright state
Toledo
Cincinnati
Case western
Pitt
Brown
Loyola
Indiana
Duke
Emory
Quinnipiac
Michigan
Howard
Morehouse
Icahn
Saint Louis
Oakland
Western Michigan
UChicago
Uniformed Services
Creighton
Georgetown

Do these look good? Or am I reaching to high - please let me know. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

How many in person physician shadowing hours do you have ? Virtual shadowing has no value. What do your hospital navigator and NICU volunteer activities involve and how many hours with each ?

How many in person physician shadowing hours do you have ? Virtual shadowing has no value. What do your hospital navigator and NICU volunteer activities involve and how many hours with each ?
I have around 60 total shadowing hours in person and am projected to do around 30 more. I only have around 20 online that’s it and it was during COVID. For NICU (80 hours in around 6 months due to graduating) I let people into the NICU unit and assisted the nurses with bottle cleaning and stock. I was able to hold babies too! For the hospital navigator (70 hours and it got cut off due to COVID) I assisted visitors to their destination and gave directions. I also helped push wheelchairs around the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could include the NICU hours in your clinical volunteering. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Kaiser
Miami
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Mount Sinai
NYU
Boston University
Washington University (in St. Louis)

You could include the NICU hours in your clinical volunteering. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Kaiser
Miami
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Mount Sinai
NYU
Boston University
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Okay great. Thank you so much for this!