Rant Thread

We're getting at least 20-30 cm on Wed (snow storm apparently)....

Now, for my actual rant. I have a sub in bio today, and I would totally love that, but we have a test tomorrow (she said it is still there) and now it's hard to ask her questions in person (i mean we can ask her online, but it's not the same)...

Now, onto my lock - I don't want to go the office and ask, because I went down already and they said that I should keep trying and the receptionist asks like a billion questions and she stares at me accusingly and makes me feel so freaking small!!!

God I hate when desk peiple do that! Its like they're trying to make you angry :mad:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad.

I got a rant for today (and the morning has only just begun :mad:)

So I'm in spanish class, and we have been working on a project for only 4 days. We had to make a video about our house (Did i mention the entire video has to be in spanish?). My macbook that the school gave us has been unable to read my videos for the past 2 weeks. I couldn't tell my teacher this due to her being gone to run a marathon for 2 days (Friday and Monday). So here it is, tuesday and I tell her it's not working. She tells me that's my problem. I try to remain calm and explain, but instead she continues to tell me that It's my fault. She even goes far enough to tell me that i will lose 20 points off my grade because my computer was open while someone was presenting (even though the problem was beyond my control) and then sends me out of the class for "arguing" even though I never once raised my voice.

I got to spend the rest of the class relaxing (due to a sympathetic counselor who understood my plight). Thank goodness for people like them!

I have a similar rant: My spanish teacher sucks. Pretty much it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar rant: My spanish teacher sucks. Pretty much it.

:thumbup: best rant I've ever seen :D

Seriously, idk why there are so many teachers though that are just so miserable. You became a teacher, you should be able to get through the year without being a b---- to students every single day..

:thumbup: best rant I've ever seen :D

Seriously, idk why there are so many teachers though that are just so miserable. You became a teacher, you should be able to get through the year without being a b---- to students every single day..

Apparently in college it gets better. The professors actually care about the material.

Yeah, I seriously hope so.

I've actually noticed that my dual enrollment classes at my CC actually has better teachers who actually have a passion for the material too.. Like they get so into it haha

I greatly dislike having the fourth bomb threat at our school in a month. Ridiculous. School is out for the third time, and we will probably have to go into the summer. RANT!!

I greatly dislike having the fourth bomb threat at our school in a month. Ridiculous. School is out for the third time, and we will probably have to go into the summer. RANT!!

I feel your pain. This one guy a couple of years ago shot himself in the school bathroom and we didn't have school for ~5 days. All 5 days had to be made up over the summer.

I feel your pain. This one guy a couple of years ago shot himself in the school bathroom and we didn't have school for ~5 days. All 5 days had to be made up over the summer.
Seriously? We have no drama in our schools, our crime rate is really low (knocking on wood - cuz I'm superstitious).

My rant...hmm...It's snowing right now so there is probably a snow day tomorrow (because today and tomorrow is supposed to be a storm). So, hopefully our chem test will be on Thurs instead, and I will be able to study tomorrow.

The downside to the snowstorm, I had to pick up my siblings, and the stupid wind is extremely strong so I have to dig my feet in the ground every time so I won't get "blown away".

Seriously? We have no drama in our schools, our crime rate is really low (knocking on wood - cuz I'm superstitious).

We have normal High school drama. The backstabbing girls and the angry guys. Not too much crime either. Though you would think with a name like "City of Medicine Academy" there wouldn't be drama at all!

We have normal High school drama. The backstabbing girls and the angry guys. Not too much crime either. Though you would think with a name like "City of Medicine Academy" there wouldn't be drama at all!

You go to a medicine magnet school?

You guys, I have a $25 gift card to Thinkgeek... should I get the STFU shirt and pixel sunglasses or wait until the organ transplant lunchbox is back in stock? I really like the lunchbox, but I never actually... use lunchboxes.

Actual rant part: I hate making decisions. I hate spending money. I need a job, man.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys, I have a $25 gift card to Thinkgeek... should I get the STFU shirt and pixel sunglasses or wait until the organ transplant lunchbox is back in stock? I really like the lunchbox, but I never actually... use lunchboxes.

Actual rant part: I hate making decisions. I hate spending money. I need a job, man.
The organ transplant lunch box is so freaking cool! I want one now. I have to order it :) ...Oh and here comes my rant. (Inspired by this)...

The stupid shipping costs and taxes for Canadians for stuff in thinkgeek doesn't make sense for them to buy it. So, they open up http://www.geekcantina.com/?AffId=1 Which is just a cheap imitation, and doesn't even have 1/4 of the same things....So, now here I am...ranting about unfainess :(

If you have enough for the lunchbox, I'd get the sunglasses and the shirt :D

.. Atleast get the sunglasses. They're beast,

But yeah, kinda wish I had money too. But then again, I want to focus on school at the same time.. High school probz

I like the lunch box haha. I want. eu quero

Do you think there is still bias towards D.O.'s? I'm asking because one of my cousins (who has a D.O) felt this was the case.

There are still a lot of DOs with a serious inferiority complex. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. Some of the best medical students I've had rotate through my ED have been from DO schools; partially because they felt they had to work that much harder to overcome some perceived inferiority. At the same time I've worked with some fantastic MD students. So it has very little to do with the school and more to do with the person.

As for bias? Bias implies a negative thought against you. I think that the battle for DOs isn't against bias; it's against a lack of brand recognition. People don't avoid DOs; it's just that some people don't realize what a DO is. That problem is much less now than it was 30, 20, even 10 years ago, but it's still out there in some places. Fortunately in most big cities it's not an issue.

In some fields it's a non-issue. Nobody asks what initials are after my name when they come to the ED. If you have a hospital based practice of any kind it won't matter. It only becomes a PR concern to some if you are going to have an office based practice and will have to advertise for work. With that being said, more and more clinics are multi-doctor practices and so have fancy names which draw clients in and don't rely on the individual's credentials.

Bottom line; the medical community has very little bias toward DOs, the lay public doesn't have a negative opinion of DOs, but there may be a lack of brand recognition which works against DOs.

Oh, and just one other question not specifically pertaining to this topic:

What made you go into military medicine?

I didn't want any debt. I joined so that they would pay for medical school. You will read lots of threads debating the pros and cons of military medicine, as well as different financial reckonings as to which course is best (taking out loans and going to work as a civilian after residency, versus having the military pay for school and working for them for 4 years after residency). There is no right and definitive answer. My financial choices and the aspects that matter to me tipped the balance toward the military. Plus I get to practice medicine in environments that most people don't get the opportunity to experience (for better or for worse).

It would be much appreciated if you can start a thread about yourself and Military medicine here on hSDN. Another family medicine physician laid out his schedule and described his workday, etc.

A lot of that information is covered ad nauseam in the military medicine forum of SDN. However, if there's an aspect you're interested in, or have specific questions, start a thread in hSDN and I'll respond to it :)

You go to a medicine magnet school?

Yep.

I just saw the lunch box and decided it was extremely awesome!! will be getting one was well!

Stupid city. Stupid snow. Stupid slush.

Urgh! The stupid city hasn't cleaned the snow off of the sidewalks, and the weather is warmer today, (1 degree celsius, 34 degrees fahrenheit), so majority of the snow has melted into slush. And so my boots, socks and the bottom half of my pants are SOAKED!!! Plus, the "intersctions" (where sidewalk meets road), there are these huge mountains of snow, that you have to climb up and down to make it across...

Stupid city. Stupid snow. Stupid slush.

Urgh! The stupid city hasn't cleaned the snow off of the sidewalks, and the weather is warmer today, (1 degree celsius, 34 degrees fahrenheit), so majority of the snow has melted into slush. And so my boots, socks and the bottom half of my pants are SOAKED!!! Plus, the "intersctions" (where sidewalk meets road), there are these huge mountains of snow, that you have to climb up and down to make it across...

Do they cancel school when it snows for you? It sounds like they don't.

If we event et a rumor for snow, we get a 2 hour delay. If a snowflake falls, we get closures. It's wonderful! :naughty:

If we event et a rumor for snow, we get a 2 hour delay. If a snowflake falls, we get closures. It's wonderful! :naughty:

You're so lucky. I'm from Vermont. Here there need to be like 50 car accidents for the school to deem the roads "unsafe" and delay or close it.

We had a snow day yesterday...so today there was school (it wasn't snowing, but there was slush everywhere. It was horrible!

We had a snow day yesterday...so today there was school (it wasn't snowing, but there was slush everywhere. It was horrible!

Did you have vacation last week? I'm on vacation right now.

Did you have vacation last week? I'm on vacation right now.
No...I have my march break the week after the upcoming week (so starting from the 8th to the 18th) - with 8th being the last day before break, and 18th being the first day back (but, no one goes to school on those days)...

I am sooooo bored!!!! I really don't feel like studying for Advanced Functions....and no one is on!!!! (Well no one I want to talk to is on - on facebook, skype, twitter even hSDN!!!)

I am sooooo bored!!!! I really don't feel like studying for Advanced Functions....and no one is on!!!! (Well no one I want to talk to is on - on facebook, skype, twitter even hSDN!!!)
I'mmmm bacckkkkkk

You're so lucky. I'm from Vermont. Here there need to be like 50 car accidents for the school to deem the roads "unsafe" and delay or close it.

Yeah. In the South, we fear the cold weather.

Sounds bleak :thumbdown:

dang str8 :p

But then again, we never get snow days :thumbdown:thumbdown

Do you ever get heat days? I have a friend in Brazil, she says sometimes the school just closes because it's too hot.

Do you ever get heat days? I have a friend in Brazil, she says sometimes the school just closes because it's too hot.

:wtf: i wish :cry:

so if you can't tell, i kinda love sdn's emoticons

Haha! Heat Days. That's a funny name. :laugh:

But nah, it could be 150 Degrees here, and we'd probably still have school!

When you make these amazing plans with friends...but then they get the date wrong and you had to postpone your plans. And you are at home...:( all alone. When there is this amazing restaurant just calling your name....;(

Oh and everyone's at semi...and I would love to go to semi, except for the fact that the only people that actually go to our school's semi are the druggies, the smokers and the ones who get it on, on the freaking dance floor or the bathroom. And I refuse to be anyone of those people, so I am at home.

I have officially become one of those people. The ones that lose their regular locks and use the ones with the key. Because they can't remember their code or just can't open their lock. So now I am a key and chain lock kind of person. :(

This was a kinda pathetic and sad rant :( for me...-__-

If any of your lives are currently worse than mine, please go ahead and post. It might not be guaranteed to make me feel better, but you'll get an A+ (4.0) in effort for me.:) (And you can go on ahead and tell those interviewers, that @futuresurgeon00 gave you a 4.0 in effort :) Hopefully that will boost up all of your GPA's :)

(And you can go on ahead and tell those interviewers, that @futuresurgeon00 gave you a 4.0 in effort :) Hopefully that will boost up all of your GPA's :)

if only it were that easy -_______________-

if only it were that easy -_______________-
I know...I wish....-___-

But I am slightly less pathetically sad now, b/c my friends and I did end up going out...at like 9 and coming back at 3 :) So totally tired...but totally happy :)

I know...I wish....-___-

But I am slightly less pathetically sad now, b/c my friends and I did end up going out...at like 9 and coming back at 3 :) So totally tired...but totally happy :)

lol that's cool. Meanwhile, I had my cousin come over for this weekend so we could play Black ops 2 for 10 hours straight. That's my idea of fun ;)

My rant:
Neurosurgery programs have increased in length. They are now 7 or 8 year programs starting in 2014.

My rant:
Neurosurgery programs have increased in length. They are now 7 or 8 year programs starting in 2014.
Are you freaking kidding? Seriously? (I have partially stolen your rant and it is mine as well)....Really?????? Do you know why though?

Are you freaking kidding? Seriously? (I have partially stolen your rant and it is mine as well)....Really?????? Do you know why though?

My guess is as good as yours. Probably it's because attending neurosurgeons thought that graduates needed more training.

Apparently in college it gets better. The professors actually care about the material.

True. But some suck at teaching and the evaluations are very inconsistent from professor to professor. In college you just get better at self-directed learning, which is a big part of dental school/medical school.

True. But some suck at teaching and the evaluations are very inconsistent from professor to professor. In college you just get better at self-directed learning, which is a big part of dental school/medical school.

Well then I know I'll be going to their office hours a lot :laugh:

So I'm back home :( from my cruise :( and I have school tomorrow....My march break is over :(

Anyway, the saddest yet totally funniest thing ever....My flight was earlier than my friends flights...so I reached in the afternoon...however, it started snowing like 2 hours ago...so they are stuck in New York and there flights are delayed and two of them even have major tests tomorrow...I'm not really sure whether I should just feel bad or laugh or be thankful I was saved - thought if our flight was delayed I wouldn't have to go to school tomorrow (there original arrival time was at 10 pm...so....yeah)...

• I hate sciolists.
  • USAD needs actual science content for the science section, not just history.
  • People getting pissed because I post in the Lounge. I'm old enough, I can handle myself. >.>

I hate it when I hear "If you want ____ badly enough, you will try harder/achieve it."

I don't really see myself loving anything that intensely. Everything is so uncertain; why should I care about anything? Is it possible to make it through not just the medical school process, but any admissions/judgement/study-based career path without that devotion?

Even if I turned to becoming a professional artist, I would have to put my heart and soul into it. And maybe that's what scares me. I've seen artists break down over the constant scrutinizing, sense of stagnation, and perceived failure. The same thing happens in medicine.

When I achieve things, I either feel nothing, or something nice, followed by emptiness. I could climb Mt. Everest or cure cancer and it wouldn't mean anything the next day. It might not even mean anything on the day itself.

I read the "How did you react when you found out you were accepted thread." and got mad because no one had a stoic reaction. No one just went "Yeah, okay."
Reading that thread and seeing the scattered "You don't want it badly enough" comments everywhere (not just sdn) just pissed me off. I'm someone who is motivated by being doubted, but when you don't care in the first place, it doesn't really matter.

So I guess I just wish I cared deeply about anything. Or wasn't afraid to care. Or something.

(I do realize the antithesis is "Everything is so uncertain, so try as hard as you can and makes the most of life" and I want to think like that. This is my current mood/state of mind, however.)

When I achieve things, I either feel nothing, or something nice, followed by emptiness. I could climb Mt. Everest or cure cancer and it wouldn't mean anything the next day. It might not even mean anything on the day itself.

Seriously, I can agree with this. I mean I actually think it's kind of funny though, because it's like when you do something amazing it feels great, but that goes away real quick. I find that regret/pain stays much longer, which kiiiiinnnnnda sucks.

I guess it's good that you can always look back on the amazing thing you did though and feel a little better :) :thumbup:

People walking in front of you in a hallway and they suddenly stop without any warning. :bang:

Or they decide that the middle of the hallway is the best way to catch up with their friends and hug everyone they haven't seen for the last hour....

or make out with their girlfriend/boyfriend just to show how truly in love they are

My rant.... Ben Carson retired from neurosurgery and will be going into politics.

Well not really a rant, just a new topic.