Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how's your studying going guys? are you freaking out? burned out?

this will be our stress relief thread....or our group anxiety thread, whatever..... :laugh:

I'll start.... has anyone seen Dark Water with Jennifer Connelly yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Nikki2002 said:
I think those are great b/c you don't have to worry too much about them--i mean if you happened to lose it or break it it's not like you spent $400 on it. plus they are so little. my nano is like my baby--i'm so attached to that thing. My bro had to get a usb port adapter in order to make the computer recognize his shuffle--if you plug yours in and your computer doesn't recognize it just go to radio shack and get an adapter.

Yeah I got it for my volunteer abroad trip this summer. I don't want to worry about scratching my ipod mini so got this one instead to take the abuse. It's taking forever to charge for the first time... :(

ZipsPwn said:
has anyone else come across alot of people that when you told them you'd been studying for the MCAT.. they don't know what that is?

I like telling people I'm going to be a pathologist. I get very strange looks. :laugh:

I think people either think I am going to be a CSI or spend all my time in a morgue.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
You should start a poll and try to guess it. I know the answer but I'm keeping it a surprise because I'm mean and want to torture you. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
I'm guessing its Q ... or hey it could be nikki too, she had that smiley filled post.

Speculation is fun. I am so excited because I've waited awhile for this. Now I can actually do some good with all the time I spend on here (as well as list it as an EC). I really enjoy this site and getting to chat with people from various backgrounds. Its kinda dorky but its nice when you lose physical friends to replace with virtual friends.

And to procrastinate from a final tomorrow :D

I like my hair, but my complexion is not that great. I have always had acne here and there since puberty hit, and it still has not gone away, even though I wash my face 2x a day (morning shower and before bed) and exfoliate. I also have very pink skin, with red cheeks, and some stupid coarse hairs that are in the weirdest places on my face and I have to pluck them. Makeup typically covers it up.

I usually use a cream foundation with a sponge, either with saliycilic acid in it or a topical l ayer underneath. I also use concealer, powder, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara.

I've had tons of compliments, so I'm really not worried about looking like a hooker, but I definitely look 1000% better with makeup on than without.

As for makeup, I was wondering because I'm trying "bare escentuals" a makeup brand since I'm having skin issues as well as I don't wear make up much. I want something quick easy and light. I have such fair skin that most makeup makes me look bad with that stupid line under my chin or doesn't look natural.

Members don't see this ad :)
now matter how hard i try... i fall asleep during my greek archeology class.

shame, he's a funny guy too.

mshheaddoc said:
As for makeup, I was wondering because I'm trying "bare escentuals" a makeup brand since I'm having skin issues as well as I don't wear make up much. I want something quick easy and light. I have such fair skin that most makeup makes me look bad with that stupid line under my chin or doesn't look natural.

I got this stuff for my birthday and I love it. I have rosacea and extremely sensitive skin and this is the first makeup I've ever been able to wear that didn't cause burning after a full day/make me break out/look like it was slathered on with a trowel. I was worried because the powder makeup I've tried in the past has always looked too cakey, but this stuff looks great. It doesn't hide all my redness but nothing does, so I can't really complain.

MollyMalone said:
I got this stuff for my birthday and I love it. I have rosacea and extremely sensitive skin and this is the first makeup I've ever been able to wear that didn't cause burning after a full day/make me break out/look like it was slathered on with a trowel. I was worried because the powder makeup I've tried in the past has always looked too cakey, but this stuff looks great. It doesn't hide all my redness but nothing does, so I can't really complain.

hey molly! you have rosacea? sucks, i have it too. i always have this reddish hue on my face like i'm blushing, some people say its cute i think its annoying.

btw, congrats on the promotion. :)

MollyMalone said:
Molly,

I'm so glad that you like it. I'm nervous b/c I think, its just powder? Will it really cover? I'm anxious ot try it. I also sweat alot :oops:

Arsenic said:
hey molly! you have rosacea? sucks, i have it too. i always have this reddish hue on my face like i'm blushing, some people say its cute i think its annoying.

Where's molly going? :eek:

A- you wanna try some "bare escentuals"? Maybe that will help :p

1. it's interesting.
2. it's a general education requirement for graduating (which i'm not anymore)
3. it was a quarter class
4. i don't study for it and i have an A

Arsenic said:
beary, PLEASE tell me 5 weeks to study for step 1 is seriously enough. :scared:

That is definitely enough. I remember that I took the test on June 4 and had done very little studying before the semester ended (which is really what everybody does - there is just no way to study before). Remember that all your studying for all your med school tests has been boards studying. I pretty much studied 8-6 every day for those last few weeks and then took two days off before the exam. I thought for sure I was going to fail but actually did quite well. You already know A LOT.

lilithny said:
1. it's interesting.
2. it's a general education requirement for graduating (which i'm not anymore)
3. it was a quarter class
4. i don't study for it and i have an A

ha, reminds me of my "world nutrition" class when i was an undergrad. what a joke. it was 3 credits AND upper division. :eek:

5. it really does piss me off when med/dent and pre-med/pre-dent question the classes i take. i unlike you would rather have some ****ing sanity, thank you very much. i don't need to ass kiss each and every professor in my "sciences only" schedule

not aiming that directly at you... but seriously... i think some of y'all (and i mean that in the vaguest sense) have one damn splintered stick up yer ass

I have been feeling pissed off lately by this attitude in clinics that single people should have to stay later than those folks with spouses and kids. I TOTALLY respect family life and how demanding it must be, but just because I am single should not mean I have to do other people's work so they can go home and be with their kids. /rant

lilithny said:
5. it really does piss me off when med/dent and pre-med/pre-dent question the classes i take. i unlike you would rather have some ****ing sanity, thank you very much. i don't need to ass kiss each and every professor in my "sciences only" schedule
dude, i totally understand. i just wanted to know if you were taking the class out of interest or because it was a requirement.

beary said:
That is definitely enough. I remember that I took the test on June 4 and had done very little studying before the semester ended (which is really what everybody does - there is just no way to study before). Remember that all your studying for all your med school tests has been boards studying. I pretty much studied 8-6 every day for those last few weeks and then took two days off before the exam. I thought for sure I was going to fail but actually did quite well. You already know A LOT.
:love: beary

ok, my panic level just dropped about 2 points. studying this past month during PBL was just so hard with all the other curriculum things going on. i'll probably get done in 1 week what took me a month during PBL.

gawd *someone* here is a little pissy today. meow! WHAT THE HELL--is mushy seriously not being promoted b/c that's just wrong. rosy cheeks are super cute *sigh*

i :love: mushy

EDIT: MAKE THAT TWO VERY PISSY PEOPLE

mwahahaha.... it is a good class. its one of those cross listed ones, judaic studies and archeology. majority of the class talked about jewish archeological history, the last two classes have been on christianity and magic in popular culture. hillarious stuff these people came up with

beary said:
I have been feeling pissed off lately by this attitude in clinics that single people should have to stay later than those folks with spouses and kids. I TOTALLY respect family life and how demanding it must be, but just because I am single should not mean I have to do other people's work so they can go home and be with their kids. /rant
jeebus, they're working you until the last minute huh beary?

Arsenic said:

Thanks! Can't wait for it to be official! :D

Yes, rosacea sucks ass. I'm sorry to hear you're a fellow sufferer. :( I generally look like a tomato all the time unless I wear makeup, in which case I look like a tomato with makeup on. :D

Seriously, though, I think the Bare Escentuals does a really nice job, mushy. You can totally control how much coverage you want by how much you use and which sort of brush you use. I was also really skeptical of how the concealer brush would work but it actually does a very nice job. You do need to make sure your skin is well moisturized/exfoliated because the powder will tend to clump a little on dry/flaky areas. If that happens, you can jsut buff a little more and it usually takes care of it. (My derm tells me I can't exfoliate so I just moisturize real well.)

I would actually be kinda interested in doing rosacea research since the current level of understanding is rather pathetic. Dunno if I'll be competitive for derm, though. :eek:

Arsenic said:
rum raisin baby, just add some extra rum. :laugh:

if only i liked rum raisin! I think I might get a large vanilla twist with rainbow sprinkles.... then maybe gorge on indian for dinner

i had rice and beans for lunch....... sooooooooooooooo good. go go goya!

beary said:

I hear you... it's really frustrating! I remember when my hospital was really short-staffed and we were getting mandatoried to do double shifts left and right. We were supposed to take turns in order but all the people with kids got out of it and us singletons got stuck working 3 pm to 7 am all the freaking time. Grrrrrrrr. Our lives are important, too, dammit!

gujuDoc said:
You ruined my fun. I wanted Mushy to make a poll about it.

:laugh: :laugh:

We like to torture her remember!!! Just kidding. :p

Oh and Nikki, I think I'll pass on modship. I like talking with ya all, but keep me away from having to be the person who would have to break up fights and close threads if it came down to it. I'd rather stay out of that.

its really not that bad. all you do is tell people to chill if they're getting out of hand and move around ads and stuff. we try not to close stuff if we dont have to and usually there's a warning first that takes care of it.