Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how's your studying going guys? are you freaking out? burned out?

this will be our stress relief thread....or our group anxiety thread, whatever..... :laugh:

I'll start.... has anyone seen Dark Water with Jennifer Connelly yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Nikki2002 said:
no way!! really?

*eats vanilla pudding cup and teddy grahams*

Hmm......i just ate a whole 10-ounce bag of Cheetos in two sittings today.

beary said:
I got my hair cut quite a bit shorter tonight and that made many more gray hairs become visible. :eek: I bet I am all gray by the time I finish residency. (It runs in my family. My brother is two years younger than me and his beard is all gray).
I've had gray hairs since I was in HS. But the good part is, people usually think I'm much younger than I really am. It must be how immature I act. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
I've had gray hairs since I was in HS. But the good part is, people usually think I'm much younger than I really am. It must be how immature I act. :smuggrin:

I've been going gray since I was 18. Nice .... Thank goodness for Miss Clairol. I don't even know what my natural color is anymore (except for the gray part).

Nikki2002 said:
oh i had some baked cheetos the other day *sigh*

lol I had the baked ones too. I swear they spiked it because I just can't stop eating :laugh:

oxeye said:
I've been going gray since I was 18. Nice .... Thank goodness for Miss Clairol. I don't even know what my natural color is anymore (except for the gray part).
I'm totally natural: no dye. I don't even wear make up. The benefit of that, of course, is that no one can wonder what I really look like. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
oxeye said:
:thumbup: I wish I could do that. I scare too many people if I go out without makeup on. :eek:
I very rarely wear make-up. To the point that a friend of mine almost didn't recognize me at the dance this weekend and when he did, his first response was, "Are you wearing eyeliner?" :eek:

oxeye said:
Woohoo! Did you go with the gunfire opening?
Sure did, ended up telling more of the story too... if anyone wants, PM me and I'll cut and paste that part if you'd like to read it. If not I can tap you guys to read the whole thing after I put finishing touches on it over the weekend.

Whoa...I wake up and read and see how much I missed last night! You guys were hoppin'!

Let me see if I can catch up...
1. I do wear make up, especially now that I wear glasses. My eyes disappear if not.
2. I love Cheetos, but they tear up my mouth.
3. Anastasis, I want to read you PS when you are finished!!
4. Graduation gowns make people look stupid. Oh, the irony.
5. Mushy is a mod! I knew the day would come!
6. Beary, post pics of the new place!
7. I don't have grey hair and I am older than all of you! (I think) :laugh:
8. I don't have any of those chemistry shirts, but I am sure that I would find them funny...if I understood them! :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I like your second idea, but not the first....unlike OPM, SDN is not self-policing. And since I am the self who would have to police all of those threads, and I don't have any experience with TPR or EK, I'm going to have to ixney that idea. The other problem is that students tend to want to post actual questions. I don't technically think we are supposed to post test prep questions, and I certainly don't want to encourage people to post MORE of them. As it is, I never allow any AAMC questions to be posted, not even from the practice exams. So far I haven't gotten a nasty PM from Kaplan or TPR complaining about my allowing students to post a few of their proprietary questions, but they might decide to do something about it if people just start posting tons of them....

I like the topic of the day idea, but I think it is more reasonable to do a topic of the week, and to do it in the main MCAT forum. Maybe they can be motivational/philosophical/encouragement threads as opposed to just straight Q and A. What do you think of that?

That sounds great! You make a good point about SDN vs. OPM - I should have thought of that!

Topic of the week would be a lot easier to maintain that topic of the day.

QofQuimica said:

I've got streaks of white going on. I've plucked some of them to make sure and yep, they're white, not grey.

I dye my hair every so often, usually with the change in seasons but the color doesn't cover the white very well. I don't mind too much - It would be cool to have a head of white hair. My grandfather was completely white by 65. My dad is now 60 and he's almost white. My mom and I are redheads, and if she didn't dye her hair she'd be almost white, too (at 51!!!!!!).

I must admit, too, that I wear makeup every day. I've always been complimented on my eyes, so I like to play them up. I love to experiment with the makeup when my husband and I go to rock concerts and parties and such :)

lilithny said:
bath_bombs_raspberry.jpg

these are fun to make too... but who has bath tubs nowadays? i was thinking of trying to make a tablet one... that would you put on your shower floor and it would just release whatever essential oils locked within. sudacare makes something similar, i'm contemplating getting one and figuring stuff out

gah! had i had activities like this when i was younger, i would have really liked science!

I have a bathtub!!! I wouldn't dream of owning a place without one. Soaking in a hot tub with lavender scented oil and candle with soft music - works like a charm after a lo-o-o-o-o-oo-ong day.

Anastasis said:
Does anyone else know the song "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson? I was just listening to it and it never fails to make me smile. If you don't know the song it's up on his myspace, http://music.myspace.com/897294 If you're down, take a listen, it will make you smile.
great song. I like him and my philly fan favorite ... G-Love :love: I'm so excited G-Love is coming to Oklahoma. A bit of philly love in this dustbowl :D

hmm, i don't like cheetos at all either, anastasis. they make me yak!! along with doritos and eggs.

my friend wanted to get me those shower steam release balls to use the night before the mcat, but then i went into this whole elaborate "what if" scenario where they steamed up so much that i passed out in the shower and woke up at 10 the next morning with tile printed on my face. needless to say, we decided to give up that idea and she gave me good smelling shower gel instead :D

scentimint said:
hmm, i don't like cheetos at all either, anastasis. they make me yak!! along with doritos and eggs.

my friend wanted to get me those shower steam release balls to use the night before the mcat, but then i went into this whole elaborate "what if" scenario where they steamed up so much that i passed out in the shower and woke up at 10 the next morning with tile printed on my face. needless to say, we decided to give up that idea and she gave me good smelling shower gel instead :D

Doritos don't do it for me. EGGS...I had a major issue with these growing up. I hated eggs until a few years ago. Suddenly, I had a craving and I like them. Go figure. (Before you ask, I was NOT pregnant :laugh: . -- no kids still)

I do have a bathtub, but since we are currently in a rental house (24 more days), I never actually USE it. EWW! In the last house and in the new house, we had (and will have) a whirlpool tub. My hubby is more in love with these than I am. But, I'll tell ya...there is nothing like a 6 foot tub.! One drawback..you can't use bath products with the jets on, it will screw up the mechanics of the thing. :idea: :eek:

i think its better to let the inner beauty shine through...

but, if i have to wear some, i use bobbi brown eyeliner, mac gloss and some light tinted... foundation i guess it is. i can't tell, it's in korean.

lilithny said:
i think its better to let the inner beauty shine through...

Yeah, but MY inner beauty doesn't stand a chance if I am repulsive on the outside. It's funny, I can look at people who don't wear make up and be in awe of how gorgeous they are. I look in the mirror w/o the goop on and somehow the same affect isn't there. Why? I mean, I am not saying I am ugly or anything. But, some people can really do it well. Me...I look tired and sick.

TypeA said:
Doritos don't do it for me. EGGS...I had a major issue with these growing up. I hated eggs until a few years ago. Suddenly, I had a craving and I like them. Go figure. (Before you ask, I was NOT pregnant :laugh: . -- no kids still)

I do have a bathtub, but since we are currently in a rental house (24 more days), I never actually USE it. EWW! In the last house and in the new house, we had (and will have) a whirlpool tub. My hubby is more in love with these than I am. But, I'll tell ya...there is nothing like a 6 foot tub.! One drawback..you can't use bath products with the jets on, it will screw up the mechanics of the thing. :idea: :eek:
i've tried, but i just can't do eggs. i've really tried every way possible...hard boiled, soft boiled, over easy, over hard, scrambled, poached...

i dunno what it is. probably someday if i decide to have kids, i'll crave eggs when i'm pregnant.

a microderm abraision does wonders. i'm still rosy and glowing... but mind you i use a dermapeel thing at night to rid me of that outer layer

Sentimint, this is going to show my ignorance when it comes to football...who is that guy in your avatar???? :oops: He looks familiar, but I keep thinking Corry Stringer..but I am sure I am wrong.

wow, guju...i didn't even realize you're up to 7500 posts...ridiculous!

maybe i'll make it to 500 by the time my mcat scores come next month...:eek:

Teerawit said:
Yay! I got my ipod shuffle in the mail today.

I think those are great b/c you don't have to worry too much about them--i mean if you happened to lose it or break it it's not like you spent $400 on it. plus they are so little. my nano is like my baby--i'm so attached to that thing. My bro had to get a usb port adapter in order to make the computer recognize his shuffle--if you plug yours in and your computer doesn't recognize it just go to radio shack and get an adapter.

oxeye said:
:thumbup: I wish I could do that. I scare too many people if I go out without makeup on. :eek:
I've got the Einstein hair thing going b/c it's hot and humid here, and I have wavy hair, but other than that, I think I'm not too, too scary without the makeup. Small children don't run away screaming, anyway, and I've had four marriage proposals in the past decade, so it must be ok. Come to think of it, I haven't had one lately though; I'm must really be losing my touch. :smuggrin: :p

has anyone else come across alot of people that when you told them you'd been studying for the MCAT.. they don't know what that is?

after a while i started to just say "nothing... i've been up to nothing"

gujuDoc said:
Eh I don't pay attention to numbers, its because I like to post on the Random and Florida threads for conversation purposes totally unrelated to med school apps. Some people post only if they need to know something and then don't really chat around here.
Like ME :D