Quick Question

SmokeyG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been given the opportunity of a lifetime. My state school offered me a full ride scholarship and I was accepted into a high-caliber research program.

Basically, if I accept, I am assigned a professor in a field that I choose and we are supposed to start a four year long project together. Each week I will be expected to do about 8-10 hours of research and I must given a report on our findings each semester. The research is paid for with a stipend and I have complete control over what it is spent on.

I am enthralled to receive this offer, but I have a few questions for those of you with a greater understanding of the medical school admissions process. First, I want it to be known that I aspire to attend a top-tier medical school. Do you think it would be hard to keep my grades up with such a time commitment from my research project? Eight to ten hours a week is a lot, especially if I want to join a fraternity. Next, if I am accepted into schools like Penn or Cornell, would it prepare me better to go there? I know people say going to a state school doesn't really effect admissions, but I will be applying to many of the Ivy medical schools (stats bearing), and I want an undergraduate education that will fully prepare me and give me every advantage possible. If going to Penn undergrad will give me a better chance of going to a top medical school, that's something I want to take into consideration.

Finally, if I do accept, does anyone have any cool ideas for a research project :laugh:? I'm having trouble deciding, but I definitely think I want to do it in a science. I need to think of something innovative and clever that medical schools will like, haha.

Well, I guess it wasn't quick, and it was more than one question. Thanks for all the help anyways, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not be too concerned about trying to be "prepared" for medical school. Once you start med school everyone is fairly quickly put on a level playing field no matter what their academic background was.

The big thing to consider here is the time commitment involved here. 8-10 hours a week starting right of the bat can be very significant, especially just starting college and with your interest in joining a frat.

You sound like you have high aspirations for yourself so I'm assuming you will taking full load of tough classes each semester in college as well. The last thing you want to do is become overwhelmed and do poorly your first year. Only you can decide if this is for you though.

It does sound like a big opportunity though with potential for a good project to come out of it.

It does sound like a big opportunity though with potential for a good project to come out of it.

Agreed. If you can keep your grades up, being involved in a substantial project can be very beneficial and differentiate your application from others. With that being said, enjoy your 4 years in college!

Members don't see this ad :)
Afther thinking about it, and after hearing your opinions, I've set out a sort of plan of action (can you tell I'm type A?):

First semester: Pledgeship + beginnings of project. These two things alone will take a lot of time, so I have decided I will take a pretty light load this semester. Maybe something like 12 hours and retake some of the courses I took in HS so school doesn't seem too difficult. I may do one hard science, but maybe not.

Second Semester: By this point I'll be initiated into a frat, freeing up a lot of time. I'll take some pretty hard classes this semester, and focus on school.

Summer: Maybe one class in the summer? Who know, I'll think it over when the time comes.

Do you all think it would be a god idea to take that first semester (when I'll be pledging) easy? I know some people say to get the prereqs out of the way early, but I have no problem spacing them out.

Afther thinking about it, and after hearing your opinions, I've set out a sort of plan of action (can you tell I'm type A?):

First semester: Pledgeship + beginnings of project. These two things alone will take a lot of time, so I have decided I will take a pretty light load this semester. Maybe something like 12 hours and retake some of the courses I took in HS so school doesn't seem too difficult. I may do one hard science, but maybe not.

Second Semester: By this point I'll be initiated into a frat, freeing up a lot of time. I'll take some pretty hard classes this semester, and focus on school.

Summer: Maybe one class in the summer? Who know, I'll think it over when the time comes.

Do you all think it would be a god idea to take that first semester (when I'll be pledging) easy? I know some people say to get the prereqs out of the way early, but I have no problem spacing them out.

I think its a great idea to take the first semester easy regardless of pledging! Living away from home, and not having the class setup from high school can take adjustment regardless of how smart or motivated you are. Sounds like a good plan to me!