Quick question!

Brandonmma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !
I'm in my last year of highschool and let's just say that I'm not the best at it
I really want to go to med school after college but I'm afraid that my high school marks will ruin my chances
I usually get 60's and 70's

Should I just quit following my dreams?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello !
I'm in my last year of highschool and let's just say that I'm not the best at it
I really want to go to med school after college but I'm afraid that my high school marks will ruin my chances
I usually get 60's and 70's

Should I just quit following my dreams?
Medical schools don't care about your high school grades. If you can figure out why you're doing poorly and fix that, then you have a chance at any med school. First, you have to get into college. From there, study hard and make sure you have interesting ECs. Good luck!

Barley passed HS, went to college, now Im going to med school bro. Put in a good attitude in when you start and youll be ok

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you graduating soon? If yes, What are your plans for next year? You really need to get your poor performance issues sorted out. Many (most) colleges offer counseling services that will help you figure out your strengths and weaknesses in academic areas and in learning and studying techniques. See if you can make an appointment for during the summer to get some of this done. You have a clean slate when you start college but you need to do your best to keep it clean. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
As stated before, medical schools won't see your high school grades. Once you start college though, your grades will follow you for the rest of your life. Even if you end up deciding on a different major, your college transcripts are permanent. So develop a strong study regimen, and use the student success resources your university offers. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 36% on my high school chem mid term because science wasn't my thing. Took 2 gap years --> got my **** together climbing, traveling, training as a paramedic. FF & Graduating w an acceptance and ~3.6 GPA with pubs and solid CV. Failure in high school imo means nothing, but indicates that you have some trait that needs to be addressed and not ignored

Ask yourself why you've not done well.
What fires you up
Do you need to take time off to do non academic things?

Last edited:
Definitely the above: remember, wanting good grades really hard because you 'need' them isn't the same is dedicated hard work. Turning in all the homework on time (and nothing else). Staring at a textbook for four hours every day isn't the same thing is actually interacting with the material. Your performance in high school has nothing to do with college, but it's not gonna change just because you want it to. Be prepared to work and you can get there!

And keep it in perspective--there are people like you, with poor grades who decide they want to go to medical school, but they're in their junior year of college! You're in a good place so long as you take the advice provided.

Reactions: 1 user