Quick question

penpenclown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school senior and I want to be a doctor. I just have a quick question.

I've been working as a CNA for over a year and when I graduate in May I'll have been working for over two years. Now my question is, will this be something relevant to applying to med school or does only undergrad stuff matter? Not a big deal either way but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally only undergrad stuff counts, unless you continue the high school experience through undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually don't see why this wouldn't count. Medical schools in general don't really care about extra-curriculars in high school, but I think working as a CNA for a significant amount of time falls more under the "job experience" category. I would personally see it as relevant enough to mention on your med school app although maybe not as one of your most important experiences (you'll want undergrad experiences for that).

I would definitely count it. I don't know that it will be hugely impressive, but it definitely couldn't hurt. It's better clinical experience than most of my hospital volunteering was for sure. Just make sure you keep up the clinical experiences throughout college.