Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the sinus thats located below the sella turcica?

everything wud cause bleeding except?
increased systolic bld pressure
hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

if the pt is given the 115mg per ml of inulin, when the plasma concn of inulin is 0.1 mg/ml, whats the gfr?
115 mg/ml
0.1mg/ml

anybody pls state the ans with the explanation. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

docmhv do you have the answers for these?

no i do not, but since it is not specified staph aureus i am getting confused....alll staph is hemolytic but i dont know weather it indicates pathogenicity....

techoic acid is not a part of lipopoly....

have no idea about kenodeoxy

criteria for staph pathogenicity...

is it hemolysis or coagulase production??

i feel its hemolysis ...am i right??

i think the ans shud be hemolysis........becos only staph aureus is coagulase +ve.

Can some one please help me with this...
Does the condyle rotate in a vertical axis or a horizontal axis?I read that it was in the vertical axis.But in the decks it says in the horizontal axis.I am not able to understand if it is two different situations.Please help...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey it is 2 different situations ,, i think in the lower comparment small rotation around horizintal axis,,where vertical axis during lat-trusive ! correct me if iam wrong !

I would like to say something on TB of oral lesion,
If there is TB seen in oral cavity it might be spread directly from prior lung lesion, so it might be hematogenous rout rather than sputum or saliva or direct contamination.
I hope I could make sense here.

Thanks.
because if patient is showing oral lesions of tb ,then it is because he is already carrying bacteria, but before there were no oral lesions seen in his mouth (oral cavity is not primary site of tb infection)and via sputum ,organisms enter mucosal tissue thru small breaks in the surface.
ur option is also right it can occur by contaminated instrument but not much as compared to sputum.
anyone pl come up with more opinions...

first organism to colonise tooth surface when the tooth erupts in oral cavity??

which is caused by endogenous organism....

gas gangrene or subacute bact endocarditis

hey indianbds...
so sputum is not the answer,,??? or direct contamination with and dental instrument...
thanks

first organism to colonise tooth surface when the tooth erupts in oral cavity??

which is caused by endogenous organism....

gas gangrene or subacute bact endocarditis

i think the answer is gas gangrene.pls correct if wrong.

I don't see how you pick an answer here... C. perferinges is in the intestines and Viridans strep in the oral cavity so aren't they both "endogenous"???

Can anyone clear this up? thanks

I don't see how you pick an answer here... C. perferinges is in the intestines and Viridans strep in the oral cavity so aren't they both "endogenous"???

Can anyone clear this up? thanks

thats wht the confusion is... but both options are given

Members don't see this ad :)
You all above are right, C perfinge and S viridans both are endogenous, but etiologically gas gangreen form by any trauma and open contaminated wound in instestine.
while s viridans are normal inhabitant of OC and easily lead to endocarditis,
So endocaarditis might be answer, sure.
thats wht the confusion is... but both options are given

Hi twinkleatar,

Alcohol mainly use for lipid soluble substance as disinfectant,
so i would suggest alcohol in your question.

thanks.

Thanks a lot for your answer.I tried searching for it but got different answers.Like benzylkonium...so got confused.I did see the alcohol as an answer but it said that it could not be very effective against non lipophillic.I'll go with alcohol as an answer.Thanks once again.

sympathetic innervation decreases the salivary flow.
is it true or false??????

thanks for the confirmation.

Hello,

As far as I know, Sympathetic and Parasympathetic innervation both increase salivation.
Sympathetic will produce viscous saliva and Parasympathetic will produce watery saliva.
But both will increase salivation.....

Hope it does make sense!!!

Thanks.

Hello,

As far as I know, Sympathetic and Parasympathetic innervation both increase salivation.
Sympathetic will produce viscous saliva and Parasympathetic will produce watery saliva.

Thanks.

hey indianbds
thanks for ur information......i knew that both increase salivary secretion,but recently read somewhere that sympathetic stimulation decreases salivary secretion ......dont remember where???????
so,got the doubt.......anyways!!!!!thanks for the correction...

Hello,

Thanks.

Thanx for the correction, wht my logic was tht it decreases stomach motility n secretion , so thought it would have similar effect on the salivary gland..

Hey guys... this is a released question and I'm wondering if the key is wrong or am I..?

"The epithelial change most predictive of cancer is...."

Key says it's "dysplasia" but I thought metaplasia was the absolute indicator of cancer?

Or is dysplasia b/c is says "predictive". Confused here, please help!

Hey guys... this is a released question and I'm wondering if the key is wrong or am I..?

"The epithelial change most predictive of cancer is...."

Key says it's "dysplasia" but I thought metaplasia was the absolute indicator of cancer?

Or is dysplasia b/c is says "predictive". Confused here, please help!

dysplasia is right...i think u are confusing between metaplasia and metastasis....

A 5-year-old child is treated with large doses of tetracycline over a one year period. Which of the following permanent teeth will least likely show tetracycline staining? (a) Permanent central incisors; (b) Permanent lateral incisors; (c) Permanent canines; (d) First premolars; (e) Permanent first molars

1. (a) and (b) only
2. (a), (b) and (c)
3. (b), (c) and (d)
4. (b), (c) and (e)
5. (c), (d) and (e)

Answer is 3
This is a released question 1988.

Could anybody clear this for me , I do think that the First molar and incisors least to be effected since they complete enamel formation earlier than premolar and canine and before 5 year(patient age )

first molar 2.5 year to 3 year
Incisors 4 year to 5 year .

iI will be glad if anybody could clear this for me . thank you in advance :thumbup:

A 5-year-old child is treated with large doses of tetracycline over a one year period. Which of the following permanent teeth will least likely show tetracycline staining? (a) Permanent central incisors; (b) Permanent lateral incisors; (c) Permanent canines; (d) First premolars; (e) Permanent first molars

1. (a) and (b) only
2. (a), (b) and (c)
3. (b), (c) and (d)
4. (b), (c) and (e)
5. (c), (d) and (e)

Answer is 3
This is a released question 1988.

Could anybody clear this for me , I do think that the First molar and incisors least to be effected since they complete enamel formation earlier than premolar and canine and before 5 year(patient age )

first molar 2.5 year to 3 year
Incisors 4 year to 5 year .

iI will be glad if anybody could clear this for me . thank you in advance :thumbup:

Well, I believe that the key answer is right since the molar, lateral incisor and canine has already start calcifying before the the age of 5 so they are least affected. Since remianing are have not started calcification so they are likely to be most affected. Tetracycline use does not lead to discoloration once tooth formation is complete.

I hope that I have clear your doubt.

Well, I believe that the key answer is right since the molar, lateral incisor and canine has already start calcifying before the the age of 5 so they are least affected. Since remianing are have not started calcification so they are likely to be most affected. Tetracycline use does not lead to discoloration once tooth formation is complete.

I hope that I have clear your doubt.

Hello,

I think answer should be 4.
Because at the age of 5, Per. Molar and Incisor crown has been calcified completely. So both of them must included in answer, and from the option nearest most answer is B C E, option 4. Per. Molar, Per. Lat Incisor, Per. Canine.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Can u pls help me out,

During Oxidative phosphorylation the hydrogen ions gradient is created using energy from what?
1, ADP transport
2, ATP synthesis
3, ATP hydrolysis
4, Reduction of NAD+
5,Electron transfers.

A dental pt. begins to experiences acute pain and become anxious begins to hyperventilate and become dizzy and shows sings of loss of consciousness. these symptoms are because of?
1,elevated arterial PCO2
2,decreased HCO3
3,decreased arterial PO2
4,decreased arterial PCO2
5,elevated arterial HCO3

The first step in utilization of amino acid for protein synthesis requires?
1, aminoiacyl t-rna synthatase
2, initiation and elongation factors
3, self assembly of ribosomal sub units
4,binding of N formylmethionyl t-rna to ribosomes.

I think for 1-5, 2-3 and 3-1.

Correct me if I am wrong or support me.

Last edited:
Can u pls help me out,

During Oxidative phosphorylation the hydrogen ions gradient is created using energy from what?
1, ADP transport
2, ATP synthesis
3, ATP hydrolysis
4, Reduction of NAD+
5,Electron transfers.

A dental pt. begins to experiences acute pain and become anxious begins to hyperventilate and become dizzy and shows sings of loss of consciousness. these symptoms are because of?
1,elevated arterial PCO2
2,decreased HCO3
3,decreased arterial PO2
5,elevated arterial HCO3

I think for 1-5, 2-3 and 3-4.

tha first answer is correct...
question 2..it shud be decreased arterial Pco2...since d patient is hyperventilating..der wil b increased loss of co2....

n ans 3 shud be aminoacyl t rna synthatase...am not too sure...pls correct me if i am wrong...

Can u pls help me out,

1, ADP transport
2, ATP synthesis
3, ATP hydrolysis
4, Reduction of NAD+
5,Electron transfers.

1,elevated arterial PCO2
2,decreased HCO3
3,decreased arterial PO2
5,elevated arterial HCO3

I think for 1-5, 2-3 and 3-4.

heres d explanation for question 2...the hyperventilation itself reduces the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood to below its normal level, thereby raising the blood's pH value (making it more alkaline), initiating constriction of the blood vessels which supply the brain, and preventing the transport of oxygen and other molecules necessary for the function of the nervous system

1, ADP transport
2, ATP synthesis
3, ATP hydrolysis
4, Reduction of NAD+
5,Electron transfers.

Electron transport chains are redox reactions that transfer electrons from an electron donor to an electron acceptor. The transfer of electrons is coupled to the translocation of protons across a membrane, producing a proton gradient. The proton gradient is used to produce useful work.

1,elevated arterial PCO2
2,decreased HCO3
3,decreased arterial PO2
4,decreased arterial PCO2 :thumbup:
5,elevated arterial HCO3

1, aminoiacyl t-rna synthatase :thumbup:

Last edited:
heres d explanation for question 2...the hyperventilation itself reduces the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood to below its normal level, thereby raising the blood's pH value (making it more alkaline), initiating constriction of the blood vessels which supply the brain, and preventing the transport of oxygen and other molecules necessary for the function of the nervous system

Hello,

I know hyperventilation will lead to decrease PCO2.
But here read question carefully, it's not asking about what happens because of given condition in question but it's about why given conditions in question arise........So we have to think about why hyperventilation occur....it has two reasons...1, elevated PCO2 and 2, decreased PO2.
1, leads to central involvement and occurs in conscious mind while 2, leads to peripheral involvement and in unconscious mind. Because hypoxic drive is mainly on arterial PO2.
And in question pt shows symptoms of unconsciousness, so I think it must be 3, decreased arterial PO2.

correct me if I am wrong.

Hello,

I know hyperventilation will lead to decrease PCO2.
But here read question carefully, it's not asking about what happens because of given condition in question but it's about why given conditions in question arise........So we have to think about why hyperventilation occur....it has two reasons...1, elevated PCO2 and 2, decreased PO2.
1, leads to central involvement and occurs in conscious mind while 2, leads to peripheral involvement and in unconscious mind. Because hypoxic drive is mainly on arterial PO2.
And in question pt shows symptoms of unconsciousness, so I think it must be 3, decreased arterial PO2.

correct me if I am wrong.

i c ur point...but decreased pco2 does not cause hyperventilation ..its d other way round....n as in d explanation i gave u...decreased pco2--> vasoconstriction of blood vessels to brain thereby reducin o2 supply to brain--> dizziness n unconciousness

hello,

In which of the following the urine nitrogen excretion is least?
1, starvation
2, well balanced diet
3, adequate protein diet but no fat and carbohydrate
4, no protein diet and adequate fat, carbohydrate

I think it should B, well balanced diet.

correct me if I am wrong............

hello,

In which of the following the urine nitrogen excretion is least?
1, starvation
2, well balanced diet
3, adequate protein diet but no fat and carbohydrate
4, no protein diet and adequate fat, carbohydrate

I think it should B, well balanced diet.

correct me if I am wrong............

yeah i think u r right..

Which is a polypeptide?

Insulin or Glucagon?

Hi,

As far as I know all peptide hormones are polypeptide hormones, because all of them are composed of more than 1 peptide bond. So by definition they are called polypeptide hormones.

In case of Insulin, it's made up of 51 Amino acids and Glucagon is made up of 29 Amino acids.

Hope I make your confusion clear.

Hi,

As far as I know all peptide hormones are polypeptide hormones, because all of them are composed of more than 1 peptide bond. So by definition they are called polypeptide hormones.

In case of Insulin, it's made up of 51 Amino acids and Glucagon is made up of 29 Amino acids.

Hope I make your confusion clear.

To support my statement check it out here,
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/49/3/513.full.pdf
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/49/12/2079.full.pdf

Thanks.

Hello guys,

No any new questions after a long time !!!!! All done with exams or what? keep posting new and good questions..............

Newly formed, highly vascularized connective tissue associated with inflammation is called?
1.scar
2.angioma
3.granuloma
4.none

Newly formed, highly vascularized connective tissue associated with inflammation is called?
1.scar
2.angioma
3.granuloma
4.none

i think the correct ans for this is granulation tissue,which is not an option.
granuloma does not consist of newly formed capillaries......
is 4 ans????
pls correct if wrong..

i think the correct ans for this is granulation tissue,which is not an option.
granuloma does not consist of newly formed capillaries......
is 4 ans????
pls correct if wrong..
yes I also think that it can b granulation tissue if option would b that.bcoz granulation tissue replaces clot inthe wound n having new cappillaries and highly vascularised it helps in healing.

where as granuloma is nodule type which is a mass of macrophages .it can't b highly vascularised what I know it causes necrosis in T.B n syphillis .if highly vascularised necrosis can't b occur.
so, I too go with 4 ans.Correct me if I m wrong.

Can any one tell endotoxin present where
1.outer membrane
2.inside the cell wall

exotoxin present where?

place of enterotoxin?

I don't have option for these

Can any one tell endotoxin present where
1.outer membrane-answer
2.inside the cell wall

exotoxin present where?released by the bacteria

place of enterotoxin?in the gasterointestinal tract.

I don't have option for these

pls correct if wrong.......

pls correct if wrong.......
ans for the 1.will b both inside the cell wall and outer membrane [i.e plasma membrane]

2.exotoxin is present outside the cell wall.
3.enterotoxin is a type of exotoxin so it will also present outside the cell wall.

ans for the 1.will b both inside the cell wall and outer membrane [i.e plasma membrane]

2.exotoxin is present outside the cell wall.
3.enterotoxin is a type of exotoxin so it will also present outside the cell wall.

please can you provide sources where its written exotoxins- are outside cell wall, all definitions say, they are toxins secreted by live organisms or released on lysis . It has got nothing to do with structural component.....
Endotoxins are structural components and hence released only on lysis of bacterial cell wall . its present as a LPS , outer to cell membrane .

But somehow i dint get the question at all .
Hey Gytbdc , pls kindly provide your sources for the q's and answers, it wud be really helpful .

Regards
Thanks.

please can you provide sources where its written exotoxins- are outside cell wall, all definitions say, they are toxins secreted by live organisms or released on lysis . It has got nothing to do with structural component.....
Endotoxins are structural components and hence released only on lysis of bacterial cell wall . its present as a LPS , outer to cell membrane .

But somehow i dint get the question at all .
Hey Gytbdc , pls kindly provide your sources for the q's and answers, it wud be really helpful .

Regards
Thanks.
yes its written in nbde aids.