Questions for Ross Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by spinestudent
Arrogant surgeon, what is your step 1 score? Part of me hopes you bombed it and cant match into a surgical subspecialty or a prestigous general surgery program and end up matching at a lower-mid level university surgery program. Maybe there will even be a few IMG's in that program...that would be a riot.

Don't worry dude, my USMLE score (not to mention the med school I'll be graduating from) is high enough to get me into a competetive surgery program that will only employ Carib graduates as prelim residents to take care of my scut work.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello arrogant suregon,

my name is Silenthunder.
I posted a series of questions. You decided to reply to them in a rather facetious manner which used the reply as a way to further your own ideals.

This is NOT what I was looking for. I was looking for a response to this scenario:

I am a person rejected from medical school in my own country (in this case Canada), and I go to Australia and study as an international full fee paying student. I decided to write the USMLE and attempt to get a residency in USA.

(please note, this next part is the actual question)
Why should I be considered differently than one of my classmates who is an Australian-national trying to get a residency in USA? Why is he any better than I am? My question panders to your argument stating that there is a:

"distinction between a true IMG who went to med school in his native country AND THEN immigrated to practice in the USA from US students who *could not* get into a med school in their native country"

So what is this distinction in my case? Why am I any less of a doctor than my classmate who went to school in their own country? Is it because I PAID for a FULL-FEE spot? Because that seems to be the only real difference here. Canada rejects a LARGE amount of qualified candidates every year, some of them even end up in the states...... ( does that make them lesser doctors because they couldn't get into school in their own country and had to come to your country?)

I am posing the exact same scenario and questions to you as I did before, attempting to clarify some of the areas which you perhaps were a bit confused about from no fault of your own.

hope everyone is doing well,

Cheers,

Silenthunder

Originally posted by ArrogantSurgeon
Great response. :rolleyes:

Where have I been even close to "ignorant"? These island schools are known to be a haven for students who weren't good enough to get into real med schools and had to buy their way into such pseudo-medical schools. Just because the truth is unkind does not mean it should not be told. Ask yourself the question as to why these students had to settle for Carib schools. The only plausible answer is that they were not good enough to get into a real med school. Why do you really think schools like this exist? Because there are scores of med school rejects every year that will act as customers for these schools.

Your characterization of Caribbean schools as "degree factories" and that students "buy their education" is adequate evidence to support my conclusion of your ignorance. I do not deny that most US students in the Caribbean were not able to attend US schools for various reasons, but this does not mean they are stupid and undeserving of a career in medicine. Correlation does not imply causation, remember?

Besides, it doesn't take a super intelligent person to be a physician. The material isn't very difficult and the clinical skills can be taught to a monkey. PA's and LNP's can do your job with a fraction of the education.

Getting high marks to gain admission to medical school is more a feat of perseverance and commitment than intelligence. Remember, all you need to get in are 100-level science courses. There are undergraduate majors that are more difficult than the entire medical school curriculum. The marks are high because the competition is fierce; the competition is fierce because the job pays an inexplicably large amount of money. Physicians should not be paid the money that they are. Medical school does not attract naturally bright people, it attracts people who have good study habits. I've jerked my meat all through undergrad, and my grades, at the end of fall, will be good enough to be a potential student at a medical school -- MD or DO -- in 2005.

And don't forget, becoming an MD/DO is the easiest way to getting a doctorate.

I would think, or at least hope, that a self-described medical student would possess more adept skills in analysis and logic than you display on these forums, especially for someone who is about to graduate. Of course, I do not believe you are in medical school and neither do most people on this forum.

You have apparently already been banned once for being an ignorant *****, and you are quickly on your way to becoming banned a second time. I would also hope that a near graduate of medical school would learn a little quicker and more efficiently than you do. Have fun creating a third screen name, I'll be waiting to smack you down again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrogant surgeon, are you applying to general surgery programs or are you going with ortho, ent, neuro, or urology?

In the long run, you really only have three choices to avoid contact(on an equal level) with the IMG's you so hate:

1) Go into a surgical subspecialty
2) Go into academic general surgery- I don't think you will do this because you seem to place a huge emphasis on $$$ and lifestyle. I don't think you could be content making 180k as an associate professor/surgical attending while some guy from SGU is making twice as much and living in a better neighborhood by doing gallbladder after gallbladder every day.
3) Do a CT fellowship afterwards- Not many FMG's here, but then again, you are the guy who was wondering in another forum if he could work 50hrs/week. I don't think CT fellows and 50hr weeks go together.

So don't despair, I think there is a good chance that you will get the opportunity to work closely with FMG colleagues someday.

If they are smart enough then why didn't they get into a real med school?

Dude, are you for real????:rolleyes: If you actually went through the med school application process, you know how it can be a hit or miss deal. I'm sure there are plenty of Harvard med students that got rejected from lower tier med schools. Med schools don't admit based on smarts alone. Plus there are other factors such as age, family, messed up during a year or two in undergrad, lack of funds to apply broadly, etc. that are real problems for some. What about those who didn't get into med school during periods where only ~33% of applicants got in. Is it their fault that more people apply during certain periods?

If they are smart enough then why didn't they get into a real med school?

BTW, what is a "real" med school to you? What's your criteria? No one is disputing that many Carib schools are not as good as U.S. schools but does that make them fake med schools? No one would even dispute that many Carib med students have relatively lower stats but does that make them not good enough to study and practice medicine? From what I understand, you can't get licensed in the U.S. coming from a fake med school. Or, do you mean there are thousands of "fake" M.D.s running around the U.S. health care system, some even teaching?

So now I'm "abrasive" and "disrespectful" because I criticize diploma factories pretending to be real med schools? Do you really want a doctor treating you or your family who basically bought admissions to a so-called med school and maybe even bought his way through? Are you willing to have somebody you care for be treated by a doctor who couldn't get into a real med school and had to crawl into the U.S. medical system through the back window? Not everybody who wants to be a doctor should be allowed to be one, but unfortuantely these diploma factories will let anybody who can sign a check buy a medical degree.

No, you're not abrasive and disrespectful because you criticize but you are abrasive and disrespectful because of your tone. And frankly, I don't think I would care where my doctor came from just as long as he/she doesn't have excessive lawsuits, complaints, or disciplinary actions levied out on them. A good "diploma mill" M.D. is better than an incompetent U.S. grad M.D. Don't you think it's an insult to someone who for example had to go to SGU or Ross, work their butts off just to land a decent (vs. great) residency spot, have someone tell him/her they bought their medical degree? And to my understanding, not everyone who wants to go to Ross or SGU can.

I don't think people who go to the Caribbean "buy" a medical degree. They have to work pretty damn hard in med school, just like any of us - much harder, in fact, than you probably had to work in college to get accepted to your prestigious U.S. med school.

Ask anyone, and they'll tell you the USMLEs are like 100x harder than the MCAT. So if a IMG did bad on the MCAT but then gets strong marks in medical school and the boards, what's the big deal that they didn't get in a U.S. med school?

So now I'm "abrasive" and "disrespectful" because I criticize diploma factories pretending to be real med schools? Do you really want a doctor treating you or your family who basically bought admissions to a so-called med school and maybe even bought his way through? Are you willing to have somebody you care for be treated by a doctor who couldn't get into a real med school and had to crawl into the U.S. medical system through the back window? Not everybody who wants to be a doctor should be allowed to be one, but unfortuantely these diploma factories will let anybody who can sign a check buy a medical degree.

I don't think people who go to the Caribbean "buy" a medical degree.

I have to disagree, I have heard from many people that in Dominican Republic people have bought a degree. I don't exactly know the details but there have been people caught. That is why the reputation of the school is very important. In fact, many doctors back home will tell you to stick to the 3 most known schools: Ross, St. George's, and AUC. Be very suspicious of any school in which all students pass their classes.

Originally posted by yipeee
I have to disagree, I have heard from many people that in Dominican Republic people have bought a degree.

It has happened, but that's why it pays to be vigilant. I think the last time was over 10 years ago. I didn't hear it from "many people", though. Still, the US Department of Education and state medical boards keep a closer eye on these things than people on an anonymous internet message board. It behooves the Dominican Republic to not let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

The US had the same thing happen - but worse - before the Flexner report 90 years ago.

Originally posted by silenthunder
Canada rejects a LARGE amount of qualified candidates every year, some of them even end up in the states...... ( does that make them lesser doctors because they couldn't get into school in their own country and had to come to your country?)

And since I'm one of them, I'd be very interested in hearing AS's answer to this question.

btw, I think I mentioned this before but my uncle is a respected GP in his hometown in Puerto Rico. He has a very nice house and a Mercedes, and can consider sending my aunt to the Mayo Clinic for treatment. I'm not saying this to brag but to make a point since his degree was from none other than the Dominican Republic. You don't need a high-powered competitive specialty to be comfortable financially, or a major academic center or a US degree for that matter.

Originally posted by silenthunder
Canada rejects a LARGE amount of qualified candidates every year, some of them even end up in the states...... ( does that make them lesser doctors because they couldn't get into school in their own country and had to come to your country?)

No, because they could actually get into a real med school in the US that have stringent standards. This is completely different than basically buying your way into a Carib diploma factory because you could not get into a real school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Arrogant Surgeon brought up a good point in the above post:

he often points out that us schools are "real".

What other schools are "real" I wonder?

Are there criteria for "real" schools?

I thought it was a good point because I think that it would be great if there were a governing body, or at least a watchdog group which kept tabs on foreign medical schools. Aside from rather sketchy looking groups like AAIMG, I have yet to see any kind of review of foreign medical schools.

I would encourage other people to post your views on this topic.
I understand that USA has rather strict standards about who they let practise in their country, and certain states have even stricter guidelines about this. I also understand that there is a review process for this.

But shouldn't there be a similar process even before the WHO attaches it's name toa school? Now I'm pretty ignorant about this kind of thing. Could someone fill me in on exactly what a school has to do in order to be listed in the WHO directory?

Does anyone think these criteria should be more strict?

ArrogantSurgeon, I welcome you to explain to us what you think a "real" school is/ should have. For example: is the University of Guyana's medical school a "real" medical school?http://www.sdnp.org.gy/uog/

It is a school set up primarily for residents of the country but takes international applicants. How are these students prepared any more than Ross students to deal with the rigors of practising medicine?

Im not positive, but I remember hearing something like this.

I know that a foreign school has to be WHO approved?
Have licensure in the country it operates in. ie, qualified to meet the local country requirements for operating a medical school in that country.

And then the school will get inspected by a US agent every 3 years?

there are certain conditions that schools like Ross and SGU must meet and meet continually to gets its licensure rights in all 50 states.

I know I do not know it fully, but I know they exist.

Originally posted by yipeee
You can check some of these out at:

http://www.rossmed.edu/Medical_School/recognitions.html

Wow, how original. The Ross website. It's like their website is goign to give an objective view on this much-debated topic. Some stuff there sure sounds good, but what does some of the "state approval" BS actually mean? New York actually bans the intermingling of foreign MS with their own medschool's MS, and cali have exactly 1 hospital in which they allow Ross graduate to work at.

Wow, how original. The Ross website. It's like their website is goign to give an objective view on this much-debated topic. Some stuff there sure sounds good, but what does some of the "state approval" BS actually mean? New York actually bans the intermingling of foreign MS with their own medschool's MS, and cali have exactly 1 hospital in which they allow Ross graduate to work at.

Actually, the Bakersfield Hospital is where Ross students can do their clinical rotations. Ross graduates can be licensed to practice anywhere in the United States.

Also, you may want to check each states medical regulatory pages as well. Outside of New York with some bewildering laws under any circumstances, Ross and SGU graduates are not inhibited.

Hmmm...funny how Carib schools are not recognized in some states and how so many hospitals prohibit Carib students from rotating there. Says a lot about what the US medical system thinks of Caribbean medical "education" and students. :rolleyes:

ArrogantSurgeon definately lives up to his name.

Places like Ross and SGU are not diploma mills. At Ross in order to even be allowed to advance to take the USMLE I hear you must pass a test that is even harder than the USMLE itself. And recently 90%+ have been passing the USMLEs on their first try.

Hmmm...funny how Carib schools are not recognized in some states and how so many hospitals prohibit Carib students from rotating there. Says a lot about what the US medical system thinks of Caribbean medical "education" and students. :rolleyes:

Considering this is a Ross topic.. Ross is not inhibited in anyway. And yes, some Caribbean schools are prohibited.

AS, for someone who is so against carribbean "mill producing" schools you seem to spend an awful amount of time trying to discredit history.

Certain things are known to be true. Most foreign graduates will not end up at the best places. We will not be competitive for some of the harder residencies. But we are still able to get them every once and awhile.

Carribbean schools aren't the best option, but it is an option. While it is a lot easier to get into one, its definatly not as easy to graduate from one. Ross aggressively weeds out people. The failure rate is set to 15%, but will end up being higher. The reasoning : why make people get into a lot of debt before they realize they don't have a chance of passing the USMLE exams.

Furthermore, like the above poster indicated. Ross does have limitations as to who is eligble to sit for the exam. Those who do not have a 2.9 or higher gpa at the end of 4 semesters cannot sit for the exam and move onto clinicals. Those who are under it must pass a comprehensive shelf. Those that fail that test will be forced to stay even longer on the island to take a review course and then sit for the same comprehensive shelf once more.

Ross and SGU graduates are the only foreign medical schools where graduates are able to attain licensure in all 50 states. These schools are from degree mills. If you saw how many people leave after the 1st and 2nd exams here, or how many are in danger of repeating now because low grades. You would certaintly see this degree mill putting itself out of business if you were correct.

Plus how good would a mill be if students could not even pass the USMLE or the CSA examinations? You have to know something to pass that.

These schools are based on a different premise american schools. American schools are limited in the amount of seats they can open each year. The slightest difference in one's application in an otherwise similar application will allow someone into an american medical school or force the other one to look at the foreign route.

There are many types of people here. Those that have the grades and mcat scores to be competitive with any US medical student but for some reason did not get in, those who messed around for 4 years of medical school, those who did not want to sit for the mcat, etc.

The one thing that binds them together though is that it does not matter what you did before hand. Its sink or swim here. And if you can't swim you have to learn very quickly.

This place gives everyone the opportunity to prove themselves that they have what it takes to be a doctor in the United States.

Also remember that foreign medical graduates serve a vital role in the US health care system. American schools cannot fill the needs of society to produce enough physicians and get physicians where they are really needed.

American schools produce graduates who live in the cities, but thats not where doctors are needed.

It is fairly obvious from your previous posts that you have no respect for your peers and no respect for the people who will keep you employed.

"Hmmm...funny how Carib schools are not recognized in some states and how so many hospitals prohibit Carib students from rotating there. Says a lot about what the US medical system thinks of Caribbean medical "education" and students."

ArrogantSurgeon,

Consider the possibility that the following may be true.

1. > 25% of all Physicians practicing in the US are FMGs.

2. > 50% of FP/IM Physcians in the US are FMGs.

3. According to "JAMA", Ross University placed more 1st year
Residents in the US in 2002 than any other Medical School in
the WORLD and is larger (enrollment) than any US Med School
including Wayne State U, Michigan, the largest US Med School.

4. Ross University is a Division of DeVry University, one of the
largest private US Universities.

ArrogantSurgeon, You are not only arrogant, but I think a bit naive. Get real and get used to the fact that FMGs are an integral, vital, component of the US healthcare system.

Originally posted by Grateful
Ross University is a Division of DeVry University, one of the
largest private US Universities.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please tell me you're not talking about the same DeVry that runs cheap ads on TV to attract high school dropouts to be repairmen? Now I see where this all fits in...puts Carib schools much more in perspective. The way you said "one of the largest private US universities" made it sound as if Devry was in the same league as real private universities. I guess if things don't work out during night classes at DeVry you can always transfer to Ross. :laugh:

I'm really beginning to wonder about ArrogantSurgeon.. he probably really IS a troll.

The acquistion of Ross by DeVry is probably a very good thing for the school. Ross already has developed a reputation for having a prodigal USMLE pass rate with a lot its students scoring above average and getting them good matches. But unlike a US school, it is not qualified for the various subsidiaries. So by getting on the DeVry bandwagon, DeVry profits by expanding its portfolio where Ross gets a larger pool of resources from which it can draw upon.

Doesn't change the fact that Ross is a subsidiary of DeVry. You know you're med school isn't so great when it is a division of a technical college directed at people who most likely didn't/couldn't even finish high school. And you guys wonder why Carib graduates carry around a stigma? I'm sure being affiliated with an esteemed institute of higher education like DeVry will do wonders for all Carib graduates. How long do you think before the school's name gets changed to "DeVry School of Medicine and Computer Repair"? :laugh:

This is becoming quite amusing.

Question: What do Med Students who graduated FIRST in their class from Harvard, Yale, & USC have in common with the Med Student who graduated LAST in his class from Ross University???

Answer: They are all called "DOCTOR" and have the potential to practice in all 50 states of the US.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

For those people going to Caribbean medical schools or those planning to you have to ask yourself why?

Not for a name, not for the degree, not for millions, adoration or prestige. It's because they're pursuing a dream and not all dreams are fleeting.

And what does a name say anyways? All it does is impress those who are easily dazzled by such things. If the person is good at what s/he does, who am I to question whether they came from Harvard or Swahili? And the scores and reputations from Ross and SGU graduates are enough to convince me that those schools are worth the consideration as opposed to graduate or post-bacc.

Originally posted by Grateful
This is becoming quite amusing.

Question: What do Med Students who graduated FIRST in their class from Harvard, Yale, & USC have in common with the Med Student who graduated LAST in his class from Ross University???

Answer: They are all called "DOCTOR" and have the potential to practice in all 50 states of the US.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep on believing the fantasy that the doctor who graduated last in a class full of rejects is equivalent to the guy who graduated first in his class from Harvard? :rolleyes: Sure he may eventually graduate last from a Carib school due to the low standards, but the same guy wouldn't make it past the first set of exams at a real med school.

Besides, I hardly think any half-decent residency programs will be wanting to sign up a guy who graduated at the bottom of the barrel in a school full of already bottom of the barrel students.

The question should really be: What do you the call the guy who graduated last in his class from a Caribbean school?

Answer: An extremely high malpractice risk.

"Sure he may eventually graduate last from a Carib school due to the low standards, but the same guy wouldn't make it past the first set of exams at a real med school." ArrogantSurgeon.

Ross students take the same curricula as US students and they take the same "shelf" exams after each class, just like US students. Ross students complete all their clinical clerkship rotations in "Green Book" hospitals right alongside US students.
Ross students take the same USMLE exams just like all US students.

Any of you SGU or AUC guys feel free to jump-in anytime.

arrrghhh.....I hate these sort of threads. Almost as bad as DO/MD threads. Both sides are probably pushing the truth a little bit.

TTSD, you mention that Ross students aren't goint to school for the degree, money, prestige, etc. Are you trying to imply that a much larger % of US students do value these things more? Because I think the motivations for all medical students are similar, whether they go to their state medical school or Ross. I certainly don't think carrib students are on some special pursuit that US med students aren't. Greatful, how many Ross students actually do their core rotations alongside US med students? It seems most of the hospitals Ross students are sent to for their core rotations have affiliations with schools like SABA, UAC, and SGU. A few are affiliated with osteopathic schools to a limited extent(NYCOM and Touro). But someone who has actually done their core rotations is more qualified to comment on the students they were rotating with.

I do think in many cases the US system tends to push mediocre applicants into MS and post-bacc classes when it would probably be best to head off to SGU or Ross. Take an applicant with a 3.2 GPA(upward trend) and 28 MCAT. California applicant. Rejected everywhere on first attempt. Is it in his best interest to spend 2 years in a post-bacc or masters program and improve his MCAT score? Realistic best case scenario is that he spends $50,000(assuming private post-bacc or masters) and ends up getting into Finch/Nycom/Tufts/Drexel/etc, where he will take out $200,000 in loans. Worst case scenario is that he spends the money, wastes two-three years, and still doesn't get into a US school. If the applicant was motivated enough to bust his ass and get into one of these medical schools, he would also be motivated enough to get through Ross or SGU. And sure, it is a huge advantage to come from a US school like Finch as opposed to SGU/Ross, but this advantage is mitigated somewhat if the applicant ends up choosing primary care anyways. If the applicant had chosen Ross right after his US rejections, he would have saved $80,000($50,000 + $30,000) and 2-3 years. I'm not saying this would be the right choice for everyone; it just depends on the situation. But the idea that everyone should try 2-3 times to get into any US med school first is very questionable.

How does the US system turn these people away from Ross/SGU? Lies. Most premeds don't know that if you graduate from Ross/SGU/AUC and pass the USMLE step 1/2, you have a 100% chance of getting a US residency if you want one. There are even premed advisors at major universities who tell stories of SGU grads with no visa issues who graduated and were not able to match in IM/FM. Perhaps the advisor wasn't lying, but it's still sad that he was passing out information that can't be right. OTOH, Ross/SGU proponents are not always accurate when describing the chances for prospective students to match in a given field. Just because someone happens to match in ortho or whatever once every couple of years, that doesn't mean there is a reasonable chance that it can be done. If you are going to the carribean you can kiss Ortho, Uro, ENT, Optho, and Derm goodbye forever. I'm sure SGU students feel that their grads do have a decent shot at maybe Optho and ENT, but look at the numbers. They may get 1-2 a year out of a HUGE match class. When adjusting for size that would be the equivalent of a US school mathing one every 3-4 years. And as others have said, these people who match one of these 5 fields usually have really great board scores and a major connection somewhere in a particular program. I would never consider SGU/Ross if I wanted one of those five fields. Even EM and Anesthesiology may be on the fringe of untouchable for an SGU/Ross grad depending on the conditions in any given year(for ex, how many EM's did Ross get total this match.....2-3???)

19 for SGU in EM this year. The list with PGY-1 and -2 matches, though, has the -2 matches off now, so I don't have an accurate anesthesia list. However, two of my buddies CA1's (PGY-2's) in gas; one at Tufts, the other at Yale.

Apollyon, do you think that SGU seems to get more mid-level matches(EM, gas) because SGU is a more respected school than ross? Or is it just because SGU tends to accept students with higher avg stats and therefore there will be a larger % of SGU students who hit 225+ on step 1?

Suppose there were two identical applicants in every way(good grades, good recs, 225 step 1 score). One is from ross. One from SGU. Both are going for a decent gas program. Are these candidates pretty much equal, or does the SGU candidate have a clear edge?

I think it's the name. Also, though, I think some of the Ross students take themselves out of the running; more might have a chance than apply.

For EM, SGU has more hospitals that have residencies in EM, so that helps. As for gas, that's a good question, because gas, traditionally, takes anyone with the numbers (so you'll see Yale and Brown and a Caribbean grad and a Filipino/a and a Nigerian all there, 'cause they all have a 230+). I honestly don't know.

Oh, and, I have to say it - can't hold my tongue any more. In my class at SGU, there were 2 Pharm.D's, 2 lawyers, a bunch of MPH's, and my friend, who will get her FACP as soon as she finishes her medicine residency at UCLA (because she had 6 publications - including second author in NEJM - before finishing med school). The guy who sat next to me in lecture (who is now in PM&R at UNC-Chapel Hill) was a Chemical Corps officer in the US Army, after graduating from William and Mary.

I wish I could find the quote - that the UC schools could field a second, complete class at all 5 UC med schools, just from the candidates in one year, and STILL have qualified candidates left over. Until I can, this is not fact.

If you are from Cali, New York, Texas, Florida, or Pennsylvania, it's a LOT harder to get into med school than some less population-intensive states.

Ignore those that do not have evidence for their statements.

Originally posted by Apollyon
"ArrogantSurgeon" has already been banned once on SDN under another name. His method of operation is "hit and run" - level a charge, unsupported by evidence, and, when rebutted, not respond - especially when pressed for sources for his extreme claims. He apparently spends as much time in the International Forum as Surgery and Surgical Specialties, and is very abrasive towards anyone he feels is not worthy of his time. This has included: residents, USFMG's, IMG's, DO's, RN's, LPN's, EMT's, and paramedics. He himself is apparently a 4th year student at the University of Washington. He uses the word "denial" often, in that people that defend themselves or a point he criticizes are accused of being in denial about the topic. If you refer to him as a troll (in that he "trolls around", like a fisherman, looking for a good spot to bait his hook), he will accuse you of being the troll.

If you respond to him, he will continue his tirades with his agenda. It is unknown whether he is doing this simply for attention, or if he really believes so stridently in what he writes. For evidence of his attempts to divert a thread, this is one; here is another pertaining to the death of Bob Hope:

The Great Legend Has Passed On.....

If you are looking for reasoned point and counterpoint, it may be difficult to engage in a dialogue with him.

On further research, the connection with the University of Washington may not be tenable. ArrogantSurgeon himself has offered no information on the topic.

However, inferences from previous posts by AS indicate that he may only be 'fanning the flames' (as it were), instead of truly believing what he says. Moreover, his academic credentials might not be as firm as he states (determine from this post).

Indeed, this whole train of Caribbean/FMG abuse may just be for argument's sake; this section was taken from a post from less than a month ago.

Here is a segment from that post:

But at the end of the day it does not really matter when you start actually practicing, as patients just want somebody competent to take care of them. And truth be told, most doctors don't know where their colleagues graduated from (nor do they care) if they are competent and can get the job done. I've worked closely with dozens and dozens of doctors thus far in med school and only know where a few of them graduated med school from (and some of them graduated from med schools I've never heard of beforein Eastern Europe and India)...it's almost a non-issue on a day to day basis.

Although it is known that ArrogantSurgeon has been banned once under another name, only inferences can be made as to who he was prior, in that he hasn't stated, and the moderation team of SDN does not reveal such information.

The nature of his animus is unknown, but may not have the courage of conviction behind it; it may be only that of rhetoric.

Trolling.