Dumb question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got in touch with a PI in a field I'm interested in. He sent me an introduction email telling me some suggested reading for some papers he wrote. I found one of them for free, but the other 2 cost money (about $60 total). Should I pay for these articles or just skip them? Again, they're mostly "suggested" reading but I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is for these types of things (I'm very inexperienced in terms of prior research experience, obviously). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in med school? Try using your school’s library database. My school does that

Reactions: 5 users
If your school online lib doesn’t have access then you can just ask him to send them to you

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pay for articles. Ever. You should be able to get access through whatever academic center you are at. If you're not at one but are affiliated with a university in any way, they usually have "interlibrary loan" for articles. How it works is you tell them the article you want and they will somehow get a PDF of it and send it to you.

And if you can't get it through your school or any of the aforementioned mechanisms, you could just email him back and ask him to send you the article himself. Definitely no reason to pay for it.

Reactions: 1 user