This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ED Obs is why god made mid-levels. Doing a 5 year residency (and another 2y fellowship as you're talking about) so you can do the same job a 2nd year NP would get hired to do is kind of insane.

And if you're only planning on doing EM +/- CCM in the end, just do EM and then do CCM. Since ABIM CCM programs now accept EM grads, doing EM/IM in order to get into this is ridonkulous.

Good point, I'm just going by what one of the EM/IM PDs told us when I interviewed. Seems like their obs is staffed by IM or EM/IM attendings.
There are three programs that have the combined EM/IM/CC route which is 6 total, same as 4yr EM and 2yr CC. I've been told most 3yr EM programs aren't academic enough for decent fellowship placement but I'll be doing some thinking before rank time. Thanks for the info thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anybody with insight please comment on the Albert Einstein Montefiore Moses and Weiler Campus Internal Medicine Residency Program? (Going to interview there soon
1. Quality of residents and faculty?
2. Quality of training?
2. Work load?
3. Fellowship match in cards and renal?

Thanks guys!!

Can anybody with insight please comment on the Albert Einstein Montefiore Moses and Weiler Campus Internal Medicine Residency Program? (Going to interview there soon
2. Quality of training?
2. Work load?

Thanks guys!!

Is this the same program as Montefiore or is it as satelite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the same program as Montefiore or is it as satelite?
I think this is Real Einstein. But it would be nice if programs would make it more obvious which is which. I'm thinking specifically about Mt Sinai, Einstein and UPMC but there are other culprits.

2. Quality of training?
2. Work load?

Thanks guys!!

To the previous 2 posters: yes this is the real einstein

I interviewed there already. Not ranking it and wished I didnt waste my time going.

Quality of residents: only really interacted with seniors. If i recall correctly one intern for tours. I was impressed with the applicants though, if that means anything (probably doesnt). NYU, sinai, brown, columbia, cornell, many md-phd students - basically it seemed competitive. Many interested in primary care track. Lots of people seem to want to be in NYC.

Faculty: Lol. Had one terrible interviewer who confused me with other applicants' CV that he read minutes before interview.
Program director - did NOT like her personality one bit. New since 2012. You'll see what I mean when you interview. She would ask for and check your name off if you said something meaningful - pretty sure she kept a running list on who seemed "interested" the most throughout the day. If thats the kind of support faculty you want for 3 years, go for it

Training: no doubt the pathology, patient population and hands on procedures available will make you a strong clinician here. Question is how much of a life and time off for research you want while doing so

Workload:
- q2 call. Lol
- Night "team" instead of night float means you cover 8 pm to 8 am THEN you stay for morning rounds until 11 am or whenever your attending feels like.
-Lots of scut to be had, it seems. Residents casually mention drawing blood or transporting patients as a large part of their day to day activities
-switching to x+y next year (forgot if it was 6+1? Will check when home)

Match: not impressive at all compared to the other programs i interviewed so far. I think they have the list on a flash drive they gave us, when I have access to a computer I'll let you guys see

One pro: housing is subsidized very nicely (if you can get it)

Last edited:
To the previous 2 posters: yes this is the real einstein

I interviewed there already. Not ranking it and wished I didnt waste my time going.

Quality of residents: only really interacted with seniors. If i recall correctly one intern for tours. I was impressed with the applicants though, if that means anything (probably doesnt). NYU, sinai, brown, columbia, cornell, many md-phd students - basically it seemed competitive. Many interested in primary care track. Lots of people seem to want to be in NYC.

Faculty: Lol. Had one terrible interviewer who confused me with other applicants' CV that he read minutes before interview.
Program director - did NOT like her personality one bit. New since 2012. You'll see what I mean when you interview. She would ask for and check your name off if you said something meaningful - pretty sure she kept a running list on who seemed "interested" the most throughout the day. If thats the kind of support faculty you want for 3 years, go for it

Training: no doubt the pathology, patient population and hands on procedures available will make you a strong clinician here. Question is how much of a life and time off for research you want while doing so

Workload:
- q2 call. Lol
- Night "team" instead of night float means you cover 8 pm to 8 am THEN you stay for morning rounds until 11 am or whenever your attending feels like.
-Lots of scut to be had, it seems. Residents casually mention drawing blood or transporting patients as a large part of their day to day activities
-switching to x+y next year (forgot if it was 6+1? Will check when home)

Match: not impressive at all compared to the other programs i interviewed so far. I think they have the list on a flash drive they gave us, when I have access to a computer I'll let you guys see

One pro: housing is subsidized very nicely (if you can get it)

As a current monte intern I can comment on some of the original questions and these responses;

I'll first comment on scut since this appears to be the most glaring misinformation posted. We often do blood draws IF its emergent (which you'll do anywhere) or if it's between phlebotomy runs, which occur 4 times a day. In terms of transporting pt's, I've done 2 months of floors and a bit of other ICU/CCU and electives and I have transported a grand total of 1 patient. This is NOT common. Nor do these things take up a large portion of the day.

Quality of residents vs what schools each applicant and soon to be residents come from are 2 separate questions. Almost 3/4 of the residents from monte come from either Einstein, Downstate, NYMC, NJMS, UMDNJ, Stony brook and SUNY buffalo or upstate. The other 1/4 come from varying schools from University of Kansas to Hopkins and Dartmouth. Residents within the PC/SM program come from Harvard, Sinai, Columbia, U of R, etc. The PC/SM program is VERY competitive and is one of the best in the country.

Overall the quality of residents is great and you can see this for yourself if you come for a second look.

The above poster is correct, workload is tough. Q2 call on the floor, although because of the night float system most finish by 8-830 each night when on call. Pt's that get admitted after 6pm go to the night team, which is nice if things get a little crazy. When on night float most attendings are sensitive to getting the residents out on time. Sometimes you end up self excusing but if you stay past 1030 its your own fault. We also are afforded a good amount of independence and autonomy. The vast majority of attendings have a hands off approach and let the resident run the team. The training here is excellent. Also to clarify about the schedule, we are moving to 6+2 next yr.

In terms of the program director, she is very good at what she does and is very supportive of residents, as is the rest of the program direction. They are very receptive to feedback and things are changing for the better in many ways. Most residents are happy with the program director.

I will concede that the fellowship match left a little to be desired. I don't have specifics over the last couple years but I remember feeling similarly on interview day. Truth be told almost every resident is afforded the opportunities to match well, IE research, however, some take advantage of it while others don't. Montefiore isn't a strong enough name for residents applying to competitive fellowships (cards, GI, Hem/onc etc) to match at a top program without solid research. If you were coming from columbia, NYU, Sinai or Cornell, this may be slightly less important. Just a little perspective. The 2013 match is in 3 weeks so I will definitely update this thread with specifics because I suspect it'll be a successful match and an improvement from the last couple years.

If anyone else has specific questions let me know. Good luck

Hmm. Here I went an entire residency and fellowship without having to draw my own emergent labs. I've also never had the privilege of transporting a patient. Wild. Or maybe it's the kind of thing that really doesn't happen everywhere.

Also never drew labs unless they were coming from an artery. Transported ventilated patients (or at least walked alongside the icu nurse and pretended I was ready to do something as an intern).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know i'm gonna get my head chewed off, but regarding drawing labs and transporting patients, what's the big deal? i know it takes some time, but really, how bad is it if you have to draw blood/transport a patient once or twice over the span of a couple of months? i mean, how much does it really detract from "education" and "patient care"? how long does it take? 10-15 mins? 30, if you suck? it's patient care (!!!) even if we're lofty, lofty doctors who are above it all.

i mean, i wouldn't want to have gone through 3 yrs of residency never having performed venipuncture. (i can obviously forgo transporting patients...no skills to be learned there.) i don't want to be an attending/fellow and not know how to draw blood or put an EKG on the pt or work the O2 delivery systems or start an IV when my patient is crashing and the interns/residents/nurses are freaking out or there aren't enough hands on deck.....that'll be embarrassing

i'm not defending monte....i think there is such a thing as TOO MUCH scut (not saying monte has too much either)...but i'm just not sure having gone through residency without having ever drawn blood is something to be proud of. again, just a lowly MS4 here, so don't bite my head off. (enlighten me instead if you care)

Are you telling me you're coming out if medical school and don't know how to draw blood?

i did, but i know not everyone had the chance or took the initiative to. and having drawn blood on a handful of patients in medical school is not enough to last a lifetime. did you boast that you never had to do fractions in your middle school school math classes b/c you did them for like a total of 5-10 times during 4th grade back in elementary school? practice is good! i think touching patients is good! i don't know. maybe these feelings will come back to bite me when i'm down in the trenches next year. but i WANT to draw some blood during residency, please!

Members don't see this ad :)
i did, but i know not everyone had the chance or took the initiative to. and having drawn blood on a handful of patients in medical school is not enough to last a lifetime. did you boast that you never had to do fractions in your middle school school math classes b/c you did them for like a total of 5-10 times during 4th grade back in elementary school? practice is good! i think touching patients is good! i don't know. maybe these feelings will come back to bite me when i'm down in the trenches next year. but i WANT to draw some blood during residency, please!

So out of one side of your mouth you talk about "practice" and the out of the other you mention not having to do it much is no big deal.

If you think the few time you may need to draw labs is going to make you significantly better, it won't. So if that the case, then what's the point? My point is that it's generally a waste of education and time when people making a bit over minimum wage can do this just fine when you order it at any place I've ever worked. So what's monte's problem? I promise they are not trying to help the residents out with this.

My point is that it's generally a waste of education and time when people making a bit over minimum wage can do this just fine

lofty lofty lofty
but! this thread isn't the place for this. we obviously have different approaches. whatever floats your boat, and whatever floats mine. peace, dude.
(i also said i wasn't defending monte, so...) but like i said, peace.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had feedback on metrohealth for IM. Is it a good program? Does it have a good reputation? How does it compare to other cleveland programs? What are the hrs like?

Would appreciate some stats, and any other general info about this program.
I can't find anything about Fellowships, prestige, etc on their web site or otherwise.

How do Penn and BIDMC compare in terms of training, work life balance, scutwork and fellowship opportunities? Thanks in advance!

Both are decent programs. I always felt like BIDMC was the red-headed step child of the Harvard programs. Both are going to set you up well for fellowships. I can't comment directly on work-life balance but both seemed reasonable when I interviewed there. Neither is going to have tons of scutwork.

BIDMC match: http://www.bidmc.org/Medical-Educat...edicine/What-We-Do/2011FellowshipMatches.aspx

Penn match: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/internal-medicine-residency/our_program/grad_2012.html

Would like some genera info about the reputation of this program in the GA area; Fellowship opportunities, how the program ranks, etc.

The website / SND is fairy vacant regarding this

I know there have been previous threads about Mt. Sinai, but it looks like the program has changed a bit over the past few years, most notably in program structure and program leadership. If there are any current interns/residents out there, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the program.

1.) What is the patient population like? Do you really get a good mix of the underserved patients from East Harlem as well as the more privileged patients from Upper East Side? Do you carry a lot of private patients on your census?
2.) How are the attendings in terms of teaching quality and approachable-lity? Do they allow enough autonomy to help you grow as a clinician?
3.) How is the experience at the other sites, Elmhurst and the VA? Are either/both of these sites considered a weak link in the program by the residents? Or as intense sites that are dreaded? Does it get annoying having to commute to these sites if you're living close to Sinai?
4.) What do you guys think of the new (current) PD? You can PM me this if you like.
5.) Any other surprising facts that you didn't know about the program, or surprising things that have changed about the program, that is either a positive or a negative?

Thanks in advance!

hey guys .... any comments on the stengths or weaknesses of the internal medicine program at the university of Iowa Health Care (UIHC)?

Hope each of you are doing well on your interview trail. Was curious about Brown's IM program. Haven't interviewed there yet (a few more weeks) and not much recent info on the boards here. Currently im between Jefferson, RWJ, and LIJ, but not sure where Brown fits pre-interview. Any help or info is appreciated!

Hi all! Can anyone comment on the Drexel and Temple IM programs? I interviewed at both, and really thought both were strong

Opinions on these two IM programs? How do they compare? What are strengths/weaknesses at each? Are they in the range of 5th or 6th or so by academic reputation (after the "big 4")?

Thanks.

Opinions on these two IM programs? How do they compare? What are strengths/weaknesses at each? Are they in the range of 5th or 6th or so by academic reputation (after the "big 4")?

Thanks.
Just quoting this to point out that the programs asked about are Duke and Penn. That got lost when merged into the appropriate thread.

Anyone comment on which ohio program is best for fellowships and IM training?

Case UH
Cleveland clinic
UCincinnati
Ohio State Univ

Residents at case told me they have bad pulm/ccm but their 2013 match is extremely strong in all other subspecialties

CCF looks strong but I am kind of wary...something seems off

UCinc and OSU seem solid overall, very friendly residents

Just quoting this to point out that the programs asked about are Duke and Penn. That got lost when merged into the appropriate thread.

Regarding Duke and Penn, I've worked with graduates from both programs and am more impressed with the Penn grads.

I think Penn may offer the best IM training in the country.

Doors to fellowship will be wide open from either place, though I'd add that if you're interested in Cards, Duke's cardiology department is arguably the best in the country.

Regarding Duke and Penn, I've worked with graduates from both programs and am more impressed with the Penn grads.

Doors to fellowship will be wide open from either place, though I'd add that if you're interested in Cards, Duke's cardiology department is arguably the best in the country.

I am interested in ID. Good to hear this about Penn. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think you might be alone in that thought.

DavidLetterman said:
Duke's cardiology department is arguably the best in the country.

Definitely one of the good ones. Best... that's an argument for another day. Either place for IM will open your options wide open for fellowship.

Can anybody comment on St. Lukes vs. Lenox Hill vs Winthrop? Are they comparable in terms of training and fellowship matches? I am an IMG with a kid and would prefer to live in queens/LI which would be easier at Winthrop but I know Lenox Hill and St. Lukes have a decent fellowship match rate with cards. Thanks in advance!

Can anybody comment on St. Lukes vs. Lenox Hill vs Winthrop? Are they comparable in terms of training and fellowship matches? I am an IMG with a kid and would prefer to live in queens/LI which would be easier at Winthrop but I know Lenox Hill and St. Lukes have a decent fellowship match rate with cards. Thanks in advance!

these programs are roughly equivalent. both lenox hill and winthrop (from what i hear) has a pretty relaxed residency with mostly in house fellowship matches. rumors are that most of winthrop's matches goes to the AMGs within the program.

dunno much else sorry.

these programs are roughly equivalent. both lenox hill and winthrop (from what i hear) has a pretty relaxed residency with mostly in house fellowship matches. rumors are that most of winthrop's matches goes to the AMGs within the program.

dunno much else sorry.

Thanks. Do you know how these compare to Mt Sinai Elmhurst?

I personally think Case is a stronger IM program than CCF. CCF however, probably will serve you better for fellowship. It is a strange juxtaposition: one program won't train you all that well but will give you tremendous options for fellowship despite mediocre training.

Now I might be an IM snob but the stuff that comes out of the IM department (even from attendings) at CCF often makes my head spin. The program is a little too big to keep tabs on all the people in the program and some residents clearly fall through the cracks.

Case
CCF
OSU
UC

Appreciate your insight. Could you clarify the bolded above and what you mean by "residents fall through the cracks"? Either it's too late at night for me right now or i'm simply not understanding that phrase sorry!

Appreciate your insight. Could you clarify the bolded above and what you mean by "residents fall through the cracks"? Either it's too late at night for me right now or i'm simply not understanding that phrase sorry!

I mean that the product of the IM department is sometimes leaves something to be desired (ie the new attendings in the IM department are not good).

By residents falling through the cracks I mean the program is too large to spend specific time on struggling residents. So by third year some residents are still terrible.

Hoping someone else may have insight. also how do they compare to Sinai (Elmhurst program)? Thanks!

I am looking at the following IM residency programs: WashU in St Louis, Vandy, CCF, Case, Cornell. Im having a difficult time figuring out how these programs compare.
Research: WashU>Vandy>Case>Cornell>CCF
Clinical Training: WashU=Vandy=Case>Cornell>CCF
Fellowship Match: WashU>Cornell>Vandy>Case>CCF
Do you guys think this is right? Overall how do these programs compare?
Btw, I am interested in Cards

Would appreciate some insight on Dartmouth vs. Tufts vs. Brown for potential pulm/CC, Cards, or hospitalist/QI career. I have a heavy new england bias and am familiar with the areas. I'm interested in some clinical research but not basic science. Just want to be surrounded by happy residents, get good mentorship/training, and be set up for fellowship if I want it.

People on SDN seem to rave about Dartmouth. It's gorgeous up there, residents seemed very happy, but isolated. Tufts obviously in the city, which would be amazing. I kind of see Brown as a happy medium between the two in terms of what I'm looking for. Significant drop-off from Dart to the others? Thanks!

In terms of fellowship match to Cardiology, could somebody please compare CCF, Mayo, Wash U and UPMC. Thanks a lot!

In terms of fellowship match to Cardiology, could somebody please compare CCF, Mayo, Wash U and UPMC. Thanks a lot!

Mayo and WashU about the same > Pitt > CCF

But you should be able to find a cards match somewhere out of any of those. You want better chances of a high end food chain cards match, you'll need a higher end food chain residency.

I am looking at the following IM residency programs: WashU in St Louis, Vandy, CCF, Case, Cornell. Im having a difficult time figuring out how these programs compare.
Research: WashU>Vandy>Case>Cornell>CCF
Clinical Training: WashU=Vandy=Case>Cornell>CCF
Fellowship Match: WashU>Cornell>Vandy>Case>CCF
Do you guys think this is right? Overall how do these programs compare?
Btw, I am interested in Cards

Depends on a few things, how southern you are (or can tolerate), how northern you are (or can tolerate), whether you are looking for a big city or a suburban area etc.

For cards:
WashU > Vandy > cornell > CCF with not a whole heck of a lot separating wash U, Vandy and Cornell.

Mayo and WashU about the same > Pitt > CCF

But you should be able to find a cards match somewhere out of any of those. You want better chances of a high end food chain cards match, you'll need a higher end food chain residency.

Completely agree.

Hey guys/gals

Any thoughts on RWJ vs Temple vs Drexel vs Stony vs Downstate Vs CCF.
Interested in best IM training, fellowship match, reputation, post residency job ops.
All feedback welcomed and appreciated

Thanks