This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well there's a clear line between my competitiveness for MGH IM (zero) and my competitiveness for UNC IM. I would like to know other programs in UNC's tier.

Most high profile programs (eg UVa, some of the UCs in Cali like UCSD, maybe UCLA, UPMC, UColorado, UW in Seattle, UMinn, Mayo, Emory, Baylor, UTSW, etc),

Members don't see this ad.

Well there's a clear line between my competitiveness for MGH IM (zero) and my competitiveness for UNC IM. I would like to know other programs in UNC's tier.
There really isn't.

I got an invite to MGH and a post-match email from the PD saying he was disappointed that I didn't match with them and wished me well.

UNC rejected me within 12 hours of my application.

UChicago and UWash interviewed me for their PSTP (or whatever they call it). NW and WashU? Nothing.

Cornell and MSSM? Same as UChicago. Columbia and NYU? Rejection city.

See a pattern here? You shouldn't...there isn't one.

Just apply to places you're interested in and see what happens.

Reactions: 5 users
There really isn't.

I got an invite to MGH and a post-match email from the PD saying he was disappointed that I didn't match with them and wished me well.

UNC rejected me within 12 hours of my application.

UChicago and UWash interviewed me for their PSTP (or whatever they call it). NW and WashU? Nothing.

Cornell and MSSM? Same as UChicago. Columbia and NYU? Rejection city.

See a pattern here? You shouldn't...there isn't one.

Just apply to places you're interested in and see what happens.
This is exactly what I’ve heard. It’s not like PDs all get together and decide the applicant criteria for programs in their tier. I imagine interview invites comes down to 1) what programs want to see on an app; 2) how well you sell yourself; 3) luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone remark on the quality of Rowan/OLOLs critical care program?

Anyone have input into how accurate the board score information is from ResidencyExplorer/FRIEDA regarding this IM program? I really, really like many aspects of the program, but I'm not sure how competitive for it.

For context, I'm a DO who scored average on Step 1 (229) and poorly on Step 2 (216; really, really bad day and just straight up clunked it; no excuses on my end). No other red flags and good LORs.

Would I have an outside shot at this program/no shot/decent shot at an interview, etc? Judging by the stats on ResidencyExplorer, I should, but idk how much weight to put into that b/c it seems like it should be hard to get into as a University of Chicago affiliate? Appreciate the help and honest feedback

Anyone have input into how accurate the board score information is from ResidencyExplorer/FRIEDA regarding this IM program? I really, really like many aspects of the program, but I'm not sure how competitive for it.

For context, I'm a DO who scored average on Step 1 (229) and poorly on Step 2 (216; really, really bad day and just straight up clunked it; no excuses on my end). No other red flags and good LORs.

Would I have an outside shot at this program/no shot/decent shot at an interview, etc? Judging by the stats on ResidencyExplorer, I should, but idk how much weight to put into that b/c it seems like it should be hard to get into as a University of Chicago affiliate? Appreciate the help and honest feedback
NOTE: Merged with appropriate thread. This post is asking about UC-North Shore Evanston

Anyone know how hard Dallas IM programs are to get into for out-of-state students or how malignant the programs are?

I know there's methodist, texas health, UT southwestern, and corpus christi -- I haven't been able to find much info from previous residents that went to those programs

Methodist shouldn't be too hard at all. Interviewed there for residency a few years ago.

Hi guys!
Does anyone have any personal anecdotes from how work/life balance is at cook county hospital? Is it a supportive program?
I've heard it was malignant in the past, but things have changed in recent years.
But then again they don't seem to have X+Y or night float system either (they have continuity clinics and q4 call system). The website is a bit vague too.

There aren't any "great" Brooklyn IM programs for a competitive US MD (or DO, tbh). NYU's new Brooklyn program (the old Lutheran Hospital) is good for primary care, otherwise Downstate is probably next on the list, once known as the scut king of New York--though it's improved a bit it's still a workhorse program where you doctors are still expected to perform blood draws and other nursing tasks. All the other programs are almost completely 100% international graduates with a few low scoring DOs sprinkled in. Maimo might be the next best one, Methodist has possibly the most brutal intern year schedule I've ever seen (something like 9-10 months of general floors), and the others I know nothing about or are prematch programs that aren't going to be interested in interviewing US graduates.

If you're a high scoring US MD you should be aiming for the big Manhattan programs (Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Cornell), followed by Montefiore in the BX, if you're lower scoring or a DO then Lenox Hill and Mount Sinai St Lukes/West are reasonable choices. NYP Queens is a community program with minimal name recognition but it's at least a big hospital with a decent work environment (and not filled with scut work) if you absolutely must be in the city. Some of those you could commute from BK easily too.

I love living in NY too but sometimes you have to get out for a few years and accept the city will still be there when you finish residency.

This was very helpful for someone interviewing at NYC programs. Do you know much about Sinai BI. You only mentioned Sinai St Lukes / West for lower scoring applicants.

I am a MS4. Applied for Internal medicine residency interested in later focus of Cardiology. My top choices based on my interview and findings are University of Cincinnati and University of Arizona Phoenix. Phoenix does not have X+Y, and Cincinnati does not have X+Y during their 18 month long schedule. Both programs talk about camaraderie, but is it actually there? Appreciate any specific advice from Interns and Residents who are actually currently there.

This was very helpful for someone interviewing at NYC programs. Do you know much about Sinai BI. You only mentioned Sinai St Lukes / West for lower scoring applicants.
Ya know, I hear so many mixed things about how BI is closing, then relocating, then building a new fancy building, then relocating all their trainees to other Sinai branches... I live and practice a few blocks away from BI and even I don't really know what to say about it. At the very least they've been transparent about closing (unlike the whole Hahnemann fiasco). Before this whole uncertainty thing though BI was one of the most solid programs outside of the big four manhattan programs (excluding Monte in the Bronx, which is obviously extremely solid and probably gives the manhattan programs a run for their money). Plenty of other solid programs in Manhattan outside of the big four though. St. Luke's and Lennox Hill immediately come to mind.

How is Norwalk hospital internal medicine residency program? Is there lot of scutwork and long hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good day all,

OMS-III here halfway through my IM rotation and I am dead-set on IM after this. Originally, I was leaning toward FM, but now I am 100% confident IM is what I want to do instead. I love the medicine and I love that IM doesn't take away the time to focus on Peds or Ob so that I may focus solely on the medicine I love.

I am from Rochester originally and I would love to go back, specifically to do IM @ UofR. I know UofR is competitive, but I have dreamt of working there my whole life. I have decent board scores, no major red flags, and hardly any research, but I'd like to think I am a well-rounded applicant, especially if I can show upward performance on my Step2/Level 2. I am hoping my personality and the fact that I am from Rochester with a ton of history of volunteering at UofR throughout middle school and high school, and having many friends working within the system, will be enough to at least get me an interview. However, I am also planning on applying to Rochester Regional's Program as well, as I have even worked personally with a physician who works within the program at RGH, back when I was a medical scribe as a pre-med.

I want to do general medicine with currently no inclination to pursue fellowship training. Is this something that could hurt me as an IM applicant? Do these programs really want people whom they can vet for their fellowship programs? Or, will the fact that I am a slightly weaker applicant in terms of being a DO with only okay board scores be more acceptable if I make it clear giving excellent Primary Care to the people of Rochester is my ultimate goal?

I can't tell if Categorical programs care about this or not. U of R does have a Primary Care focused track, but it appears they only take 2 people per year, and I haven't seen a DO in that specific program, but they do take at least one DO per class year I have seen in their categorical program.

Anyways, if anyone has more insight, please feel free to comment below or PM me and I can share with you my board scores or answer more directed questions if you have them, or if you have done any of these programs personally, I'd love to hear your thoughts about them.

Thanks!

Two of my DO classmates interviewed at U of R for IM. They had step 1 scores in the high 230s-->240s range, nothing crazy in terms of research. Both of them matched ahead of UofR on their lists so I have no idea if they would have been able to match there but it seems very doable, especially with your strong ties to the region.

Most PDs are happy to support residents who want to do general IM. If you find the PD doesn't support this, it's basically guaranteed that IM program will not be giving you good training to do primary care, at least in my experience.

I want to do general medicine with currently no inclination to pursue fellowship training. Is this something that could hurt me as an IM applicant? Do these programs really want people whom they can vet for their fellowship programs? Or, will the fact that I am a slightly weaker applicant in terms of being a DO with only okay board scores be more acceptable if I make it clear giving excellent Primary Care to the people of Rochester is my ultimate goal?

On the contrary, programs might actually be more interested in you if you acknowledge that you want to do medicine and don't want to subspecialize (might want to say you want to do academic primary care though, which is basically just primary care with teaching responsibilities). Certain programs may actually get MORE funding if folks do primary care specialties (be it straight primary care or hospitalist medicine). So yeah, a lot of programs love it if you're interested in primary care. Might even be able to get a T32 or a training grant out of it if enough people are interested (which means more residency spots and subsequently more $$$ for the hospital). Also if you come in saying that you definitely want to do medicine (I mean straight medicine with no interest in subspecialties) then I know that you would be more willing to learn what I have to teach (rather than folks who are too much so in the "pre-cards" or "pre-specialty x" mentality who are only interested in learning one specific specialty and view everything else as a chore/a stepping stone to where they eventually want to end up). You always have to balance out the interests in the class. Happens every year.

On the contrary, programs might actually be more interested in you if you acknowledge that you want to do medicine and don't want to subspecialize (might want to say you want to do academic primary care though, which is basically just primary care with teaching responsibilities). Certain programs may actually get MORE funding if folks do primary care specialties (be it straight primary care or hospitalist medicine). So yeah, a lot of programs love it if you're interested in primary care. Might even be able to get a T32 or a training grant out of it if enough people are interested (which means more residency spots and subsequently more $$$ for the hospital). Also if you come in saying that you definitely want to do medicine (I mean straight medicine with no interest in subspecialties) then I know that you would be more willing to learn what I have to teach (rather than folks who are too much so in the "pre-cards" or "pre-specialty x" mentality who are only interested in learning one specific specialty and view everything else as a chore/a stepping stone to where they eventually want to end up). You always have to balance out the interests in the class. Happens every year.

wow thank you for this. That definitely makes me feel better about being honest about this! Thank you!!

Hello all,

I'm trying to advise a family member who will be pursuing IM with the goal of matching in hematology/oncology (with ?interest in malignant hematology) or rheumatology after residency. Application is competitive from a board score and LOR standpoint.

A lot of the program comparisons that I've seen in this geographic region are > 10 years old at this point so, assuming no strong preferences re: specific city, call schedule/EMR/etc etc, how would you rate the following programs with respect to fellowship match and also strength of the home fellowships (particularly heme/onc)? It would be much appreciated as my impressions may be quite out of date.

Duke (seems far and away #1)
Vanderbilt
Emory
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UNC
USF
WashU

Last edited:
If they are open the the Mid-South, there is Barnes Jewish also.

St. Louis wouldn't be far out of the way - added!

Ahh… but if you say…I’ll have a large tea…what are you automatically going to get? Do you have to specify that you want a sweet tea?
You are too funny.

I'll have to find out the next time I am in St. Louis. The funny thing is that I don't routinely drink caffeine or sugary beverages.

Guys/ladies, any thoughts on the ranking?! I'll have to look into the sweet tea question if I'm ever in St. Louis.

Hello all,

I'm trying to advise a family member who will be pursuing IM with the goal of matching in hematology/oncology (with ?interest in malignant hematology) or rheumatology after residency. Application is competitive from a board score and LOR standpoint.

A lot of the program comparisons that I've seen in this geographic region are > 10 years old at this point so, assuming no strong preferences re: specific city, call schedule/EMR/etc etc, how would you rate the following programs with respect to fellowship match and also strength of the home fellowships (particularly heme/onc)? It would be much appreciated as my impressions may be quite out of date.

Duke (seems far and away #1)
Vanderbilt
Emory
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UNC
USF
WashU
Putting WashU aside, since it's in the Midwest, these are all strong Southern IM programs. Can also throw in UVA and the Maryland academic places. USF is probably the only one not in the same tier(s) as the others. But I can see why you/your family member put it due to its Moffitt ties and your family member's goal of H/O. I'm not as sure about Rheum, but I've heard UAB is well-known in the Rheum world. A program's fellowship match lists tend to be dynamic depend on the specific class's strength, wishes, specialty preferences, etc. Most programs have their graduates' career destinations for at least the past few years on their websites, start there.

Any of the rest of the places would serve your family member well for IM and either Rheum/Heme-Onc. If he/she doesn't have a strong preference in city/culture of a program, try to have him/her find one because that will play a large role in their happiness whether he/she wants to admit it at this stage or not.

Applying Med-Peds but since this forum is a lot more active - Any IM programs (with a med-peds program ideally) with particularly strong ID/HIV exposure? I'm very interested in ID, and potentially thinking about working with teens/young adults with HIV as a future career path. I know large county/academic type programs in major urban areas will see a lot of it, but as I'm building my list I want to make sure I'm not overlooking any programs with particularly good opportunities that I might not expect!

Anyone know how strong Mayo Jax is for IM (interested in Cards fellowship)? I checked their fellow match lists and there's more GI/Pulm/CC than Cards but i'm not sure if that's related to resident interest or an indictment on the program with respect to cardiology. Thanks!

Hi, was hoping to get some advice about UPMC categorical IM program tracks here! I'm not really interested in any of the specific track areas within the categorical program, but would be pretty happy just being a general categorical resident there and wanted to make sure that residents aren't required to join program tracks within the categorical program. Their pre-interview survey asks for interests in specific tracks to arrange for interviews for those tracks, but if I don't indicate an interest in any tracks, would I just have a normal categorical program interview? Thanks!

Anyone have any additional information for the SIU internal medicine residency program beyond whats on their website? What sorts of things do they look for in candidates, and how is the program in general? It seems like a solid community program with a few fellowships on first glance based on their website and doximity.

Hi all,

Incoming internal medicine resident hoping to eventually enter into cardiology trying to figure out what residency programs will provide me with the best opportunity to match into my fellowship of choosing. I understand a lot of it comes to your performance but ive heard certain components of your institution also contribute some level of importance.

I am currently in medical school in Chicago and am considering Northwestern. With that being said I feel like I don’t see a lot about it online in terms of people posting from that institution and/or it being considered a real juggernaut. Does anyone know why this is?

Anyone have any additional information for the SIU internal medicine residency program beyond whats on their website? What sorts of things do they look for in candidates, and how is the program in general? It seems like a solid community program with a few fellowships on first glance based on their website and doximity.
SIU was one of two places I did not rank for IM

#PD was strange his son was the APD
#Hospitals were contracting- (IM program got kicked out of one hosptial, The other hospital had to close 2 floors due to lack of patients the year before i interviewed)
#Interview day was a fiasco- I could expand if someone was interested
#Faculty did not know anything about me on the interview day
#Springfield was the by far worst place I interviewed ( I interviewed in Shreveport LA, Detroit MI, Neptune NJ, Allentown PA, Harlem NY)
#They fired two residents the year before I interviewed and the PD said something along the lines of-this year will be good we cut loose the slackers last year and have control over things now
#SIU blacklisted by NIH for research funding because one of the faculty experimented on people in the local holiday inn bathroom with homebrew herpes vaccines and then poisoned a carribean island or something link

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
SIU was one of two places I did not rank for IM

#PD was strange his son was the APD
#Hospitals were contracting- (IM program got kicked out of one hosptial, The other hospital had to close 2 floors due to lack of patients the year before i interviewed)
#Interview day was a fiasco- I could expand if someone was interested
#Faculty did not know anything about me on the interview day
#Springfield was the by far worst place I interviewed ( I interviewed in Shreveport LA, Detroit MI, Neptune NJ, Allentown PA, Harlem NY)
#They fired two residents the year before I interviewed and the PD said something along the lines of-this year will be good we cut loose the slackers last year and have control over things now
#SIU blacklisted by NIH for research funding because one of the faculty experimented on people in the local holiday inn bathroom with homebrew herpes vaccines and then poisoned a carribean island or something link
Wow that sounds not good. Would love to hear the expanded version of your interview day. Was this when they were still doing in person interviews?

Wow that sounds not good. Would love to hear the expanded version of your interview day. Was this when they were still doing in person interviews?
Forgot to make a reservation for pre-interview dinner, residents take us to a tin shed with a Gatorade cooler of beer and pretzels in an alley and we awkwardly stand around for an hour in the cold while waiting for our table, resident said "well there is really no where else to go".

Next day shuttle supposed to pick us up at hotel and bring to hospital, no one shows up. Applicants awkwardly in lobby of hotel, someone starts playing Mario theme song on the piano. Try to reach hospital by phone no one can connect us to IM department. 30 minutes after we are supposed to be there PC shows up in van and shuttles us in 3-4 trips to hospital. Apparently the driver is no where to be found or something.

Program director slow claps as we walk into conference room "you made it" he exclaims!. Starts of speech with strange rant about how they are "on a comeback" because they cut loose the slackers (fired residents) and have emotionally recovered from being kicked out of some heart hospital or something.

Person I interview with knows nothing about me and spend first few minutes of interview reading my ERAS out loud (at least I know what my letter writers said).

They bring lunch but residents show up and eat most of it, these are not the same selected ones we saw for dinner, "first time I'm getting something from this program" says one resident as he leaves with some food.

Program director interview leaves me with strange vibe. Seemed very focused on seeing if I would "fit in with the community" lot of behavioral questions.

Springfield was super desolate making me question if there had been some sort of gas leak and evacuation (I walked around town the day before) saw about 2-3 people and 2-3 cars. I kid you not there was a 10 story tall building with christmas decorations from the 1970s in the ground floor windows that said department of building reclamation and redevelopment and had a "for lease" on it lol.

They paid for the hotel which was nice. I am sure these are dedicated people and caring clinicians or something, but they are clearly trying to do a lot with a little and the whole thing just showed how severe the systemic issues are there.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All, I figured Id open this question up to you as I have not received adequate answers really anywhere that I look. I am figuring out my residency options coming into my fourth year, and currently have a strong step 1 score (>250), honors in all of my rotations as well as around 6 or 7 first authored publications (+ oral presentations and some other things).

For these reasons, I sort of have an expectation of being an applicant that will be able to interview at top institutions. I am currently in Chicago, and therefore am looking at U-chicago as well Northwestern within the area but am open to leaving. I was wondering how these institutions compare to the larger names (UTSW, Duke, Michigan, MGH, Brigham, Mayo, ect.) and if any certain few hospitals will provide me with the best opportunity for fellowship? Locally NW seems like the best option, but feel as though if I am able to match into one of the other bigger named hospitals I should do so. Any thoughts or advice is really appreciated!

Based on your profile I assume you are interested in an academic career at this point? If you have a specific academic emphasis you should aim your application at institutions that have strong research backgrounds in that area. Getting a fellowship in any field from any of the big name programs for someone with a demonstrated record like yours is not going to be a problem so you should really look for other factors that matter to you since filtering by 'opportunity for fellowship' is almost as pointless as looking at the cafeteria options for all of these places.

Based on your profile I assume you are interested in an academic career at this point? If you have a specific academic emphasis you should aim your application at institutions that have strong research backgrounds in that area. Getting a fellowship in any field from any of the big name programs for someone with a demonstrated record like yours is not going to be a problem so you should really look for other factors that matter to you since filtering by 'opportunity for fellowship' is almost as pointless as looking at the cafeteria options for all of these places.
Right so I guess my question is then what programs are considered the "biggest names" because schools that I see on Doximity rankings or US World News and Report aren't necessarily talked about that much. Specifically, I don't see Northwestern mentioned frequently and I am trying to figure out why (ranks around 15)

Right so I guess my question is then what programs are considered the "biggest names" because schools that I see on Doximity rankings or US World News and Report aren't necessarily talked about that much. Specifically, I don't see Northwestern mentioned frequently and I am trying to figure out why (ranks around 15)
Northwestern will get you in to any subspecialty field you want if you put in the effort. Again it defaults back to your goals--you are asking the wrong questions. What are your career objectives at this point knowing that might change? You need to answer that first. If it is just getting in to fellowship to make $$$$ and not do research go with whichever academic program that has a better schedule/location for your needs.

As anyone who has been around medicine for a while can probably tell you that while there may be tiers to these residency programs and we like to perform mental masturbation while ranking them, in reality, there isn't much of a difference between say a top 10 program (Duke/UPenn/Michigan) vs a top 25 program (Northwestern/Emory/UNC) You will get amazing training at any of these places and will not sell yourself short for fellowship or whatever you want to do provided you don't royally screw up in residency or piss someone off.

Hello All,
I'm a 4th year AMG student. I am deciding between Henry Ford vs. Wayne State/DMC residency (internal medicine) during ranking. Can anyone shed some insights on pros/cons of one program vs. the other?
I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I'm a 4th year AMG student. I am deciding between Henry Ford vs. Wayne State/DMC residency (internal medicine) during ranking. Can anyone shed some insights on pros/cons of one program vs. the other?
I would greatly appreciate it.

If we are nitpicking, then Henry Ford is overall the more competitive program with more AMG retention from Wayne State SOM. That alone should serve as an indicator. That said, DMC has a more underserved population and the faculty who remain there have some of the best intentions. It unfortunately seems to be that more and more academic faculty are getting run out of DMC with the private partnership with Tenet. Based on my experience, you’d likely want to rank Ford higher. It just seems more organized. At the end of the day, training and potential growth are similar at both places provided you are honest to yourself and put the work in.

Last edited:
Wayne State Med School and DMC are fighting. Doctors have quit after Tenet deal, and in fact they already lost/will lose neurosurgery program, for starters. Henry Ford has deep pockets on their own and is more stable.

I did my IM sub-I at Henry Ford when I was a 4th year med student and I can attest it's a good IM program.

Wayne State Med School and DMC are fighting. Doctors have quit after Tenet deal, and in fact they already lost/will lose neurosurgery program, for starters. Henry Ford has deep pockets on their own and is more stable.

While bolded doesn't directly affect the IM program per se, it can serve as an example for how the entire DMC health system is trending and where their priority lies. I have heard of many physicians (including Cardiologists) who have left just prior to the deal and have heard of some disgruntled ones after the deal. When I interviewed outside of state for IM at known places, many people had good things to say about PRIOR faculty at DMC, but one or two made comments on how it was sad those people had left.

Overall, HF just seems to be the more structured place for medical education. They're more selective in their residency recruitment and as a medical student, any rotation at Ford had more structure provided than one at DMC. It's tough admitting it because as a student, DMC seemed to have a lot of genuine people trying to do good work for a lot of less fortunate patients while Ford (superficially) seemed to be more posh, I do think doing your IM residency at Ford will provide you a better educational experience by default.

Thank you very much for such valuable insights; I tremendously appreciate it. It is hard to gauge programs nowadays due to virtual/Zoom interviews , and so I really appreciate the advice.

Just out of curiosity, would you have any insights about Ascension Providence (Southfield, MI / Novi, MI)? It seemed like a good program, and affiliated with MSU.