This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe they have someone going to cards at UCSF, plus lots of cards matches elsewhere, too (Duke, UT Southwestern, etc). The residents were telling me they wanted to stay because they had so much support there, and most of them had already started their research work during residency (I believe there's a lot of time and support for that), so they already had all their connections there.

I will list to you the cards fellowships over the last 3 years, I don't know where you're getting lots to Duke (1) and UT-SW (1) from..It just probably reflects they had one who went to Duke for med school or to UTSW for med school.The list they give out is a bit confusing because they list the chief residents twice over, once in the list for when they are seniors, and then again in the year they are chief.

2008:
1. Chief, then Stanford
2 Chief, then cards at NW
3. UT-Southwestern
4. UCLA
5. Clinical Scientist Track: Then cards at Wisconsin
6. Clinical Scientist: Then cards at Stanford
7. Clinical Scientist track: Then cards at Stanford

2007:
1. Chief, then Stanford
2. Chief, then Stanford
3. Chief, then Stanford
4. Chief, then Colorado
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Taking a year off, planning on cards
7. Duke
8. Wisconsin
9. Chief, then Stanford
10. Clinical Scientist track, then Stanford
11. Clinical scientist track, then Stanford

2006:
1. Chief, then MGH
2. Stanford
3. Stanford
4. Stanford
5. Cornell
6. Stanford
7. Clinical scientist track, then Stanford

Now its not a bad match to cards, cards is their strongest area in terms of placement. But it just doesn't add up to even a lot of non-top 10 East Coast programs, and the chief residency and clinical scientist importance that is placed makes it even more competitive for in house matches if you don't care to go that route. Top in the fact that they have had no heme-onc matches to MD Anderson, MSK, or DFCI over the last 3 years (and well more than half their in house matches were packaged with chief years or clinical scientist tracks), and that they have matched a total of 8 or 9 to GI matches in the past 3 years (4 of which were also part of the clinical scientist track or packaged with a chief year), and it isn't a very competitive list on the whole compared to several top 20 programs. Now they do attract a lot of people from good medical schools from other parts of the country (several Harvard and UCSF grads, Duke). Just surprised by their lack of success at matching to fellowships, programs like UTSW do better. You have to be a bit wary when residents tell you everyone is just choosing in house matches over top fellowships elsewhere, because people even at MGH or Hopkins don't all choose in house, many people like to explore other top programs, given the chance.

Members don't see this ad.

compared to other top notch programs I feel that the match list at southwestern is not as good but solid none the less. However compared to other programs like Mayo, Cornell and even UVa it doesnt appear that impressive. A few people were taking a hospitalist year to do research. From what Im hearing, research is such a big deal when it comes to the competitive fellowships. But research is hard to come by in more busy programs like southwestern. So does it make sense to go to a program that is light and has lots of research opportunities for residents or one that is rigorous but prepares you alot for residency?

Research is kind of a big deal for getting into cardiology fellowship...it's getting so that it's hard to get in without it. However, it's also hard to get in to fellowship if you don't go to an IM program that is known to be strong. UTSW is known (or was, last time I looked) to be a ball-busting sort of place...don't know if you'd have time to do research. If fellowship is your top concern, then looking at the complete list of grads the past 3 or so years, and where they matched (and for what fellowships) WITHOUT editing, would be the best way to find out the program's overall reputation combines w/strength of the residents. However, it's hard to find lists like that...a lot of PD's don't account for ALL their grads when they make such lists. Also, there are some places that are academically strong that still produce a lot of general IM people or hospitalists, simply because they don't discourage people from doing that (or don't shy away from taking 4th year med students who state an interest in general IM and/or against doing a fellowship).

As far as the UAB vs. others debate, I would say that within the South, Duke has the biggest national reputation (unless you count Hopkins as being in the South), with Emory, UAB and Vanderbilt being next, and indistinguishable. Traditionally I would say that Emory trumps the other two as far as cardiology reputation, but UAB and Vandy both have improved cardiology departments in recent years. I also think that Vanderbilt and UAB both have more basic science research than Emory (both Top 10 or 15 NIH funding I think) so that basic science faculty in other parts of the country may respect those places more than Emory. What clinicians think (or program directors at more clinically-oriented fellowship programs) may be different. Atlanta, and to some extent Nashville, may be better for single people versus being in Birmingham.

I think UNC is good but not sure I'd put it up there with UAB and Vandy...unless you're talking about for public health research or primary care, in which case I'd say it's superior to those two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody comment on the IM program at Westchester Medical Center? Couldn´t find any info. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm doing a couple electives soon, and as an IMG, I'm hoping it might be a future place for residency.

Any thoughts on the program?

I've read a few threads and UMass surprisingly seems to be fairly high on ROLs....one post even commenting that UMass = Tufts in reputation.....

Any truth to this?

I'm doing a couple electives soon, and as an IMG, I'm hoping it might be a future place for residency.

Any thoughts on the program?

I've read a few threads and UMass surprisingly seems to be fairly high on ROLs....one post even commenting that UMass = Tufts in reputation.....

Any truth to this?

It's not a "top" program but it's kind of a sleeper (primarily due to location) and was much better than I was expecting it to be. They have been way ahead of the curve in terms of work hour regulations and were compliant with the upcoming rules when I interviewed in 2005/6.

I agree that it's probably as good as Tufts and may be a little better simply because it doesn't have the neighborhood competition that Tufts does (who wants to go to Tufts when you can go to MGH or BWH?).

It's not a "top" program but it's kind of a sleeper (primarily due to location) and was much better than I was expecting it to be. They have been way ahead of the curve in terms of work hour regulations and were compliant with the upcoming rules when I interviewed in 2005/6.

I agree that it's probably as good as Tufts and may be a little better simply because it doesn't have the neighborhood competition that Tufts does (who wants to go to Tufts when you can go to MGH or BWH?).

Yeh true, I hear Worcester is bit of a dump. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

although if I do end up matching at UMass next year, I'll def live in a western Boston suburb, in the Newton area. I'll take the 1 hour commute hit to live in a better city, lol.

But good to know its solid in reputation, and I guess by your spin on it, sounds like a proper 2nd tier program.

Nice.

hey guys, does anyone know anything on Franklin Sq. Hospital (Baltimore), outside of the information already posted on their website?

i was wondering if it is one of the top tier program?? I could be so wrong...i think i heard it somewhere :luck:

anyways, how did you like your interview there? how many IMG in their class?
thanks

i was wondering if it is one of the top tier program?? I could be so wrong...i think i heard it somewhere :luck:

anyways, how did you like your interview there? how many IMG in their class?
thanks

You are so wrong, it is nowhere near a top tier program. It is a decent community program with a vague affiliation to AECOM.

Hi, I have an interview at UCSF Fresno and was wondering if anyone has any insight or advice about the quality of the program? I searched the old threads but there hasn't been anything recently posted in the past couple of years. Would be much appreciated, thanks!

Reviving this thread...These programs are among my top choices. Seems that the consensus back then was UAB > Emory, esp for IM training. Does this still hold up currently? I'm seriously torn b/w these twos. Btw, looking to go into Cards.

Reviving this thread...These programs are among my top choices. Seems that the consensus back then was UAB > Emory, esp for IM training. Does this still hold up currently? I'm seriously torn b/w these twos. Btw, looking to go into Cards.

From someone who isn't in the South, I think both are similar. When good candidate outside the South apply for residency, I most often hear of Duke followed by Emory/Vandy.

Members don't see this ad :)

It gets said a dozen times a day on this forum, but it's really as simple as choosing the one you liked more. Both of them have their strengths. I thought that UAB has an overall stronger medicine department, more rigorous training, and more down-to-earth residents and program staff, but for some people Emory's name recognition, awesome county hospital, and bigger city may be more desirable. I met so many residents at both institutions who are perfectly happy with their decisions, and I don't think an applicant could go wrong with either.

PM me if you have specific questions about UAB. I'll do my best to answer.

I just ranked my top medicine programs but recently heard some concerning issues regarding the St John Macomb-Oakland Hospital in Michigan. I ranked them very high but quite a few of the residents (recent and graduated) were talking about the current director of medical education, how he is unprofessional in the way he conducts himself with them in their quarterly evaluation meetings. (Some very concerning complaints actually!)

Does anyone know why or what these meetings are? And anyone else have negative experiences at this program because of him?

Saw some threads on this topic from a while ago, but wanted to know what the current general consensus is. I'm definitely going to pursue a fellowship, but not sure which one yet. Anybody have any insight into this?

Saw some threads on this topic from a while ago, but wanted to know what the current general consensus is. I'm definitely going to pursue a fellowship, but not sure which one yet. Anybody have any insight into this?

This is like choosing between a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry.
Just pick the one you felt most comfortable with on interview day. One program isn't so ahead of the other that it makes a difference.

Primarily FMG and DO's on their resident roster.

Does it say anything about program's quality? I mean, there can be other reasons people don't want to come to Fresno.

Primarily FMG and DO's on their resident roster.

Does it say anything about program's quality? I mean, there can be other reasons people don't want to come to Fresno.

It's hard for most of us to comment on the program's actual quality, but i'd say it does say something about its reputation. Fresno might not be the most exciting place, but it's still freaking California and within a reasonable drive from the Bay Area.

It's hard for most of us to comment on the program's actual quality, but i'd say it does say something about its reputation. Fresno might not be the most exciting place, but it's still freaking California and within a reasonable drive from the Bay Area.

I did a sub-I here and I think one of the main reasons it's not attractive is because of the location. Aside from that, I found the residents and program director to be extremely friendly and encouraging. I did not feel overly pressured or or demeaned once during my whole month. Even after doing my sub-I, my residents kept in touch with me throughout the months to make sure the ERAS process was going well (even though one of them was a prelim and had no reason to keep in contact with me). They genuinely care and support about their residents. (And just so you know, they have a service for both residents and medical students where they hire a third party to basically do your chores like going out to buy your groceries, pick up your dry cleaning, get your car washed, etc - all you have to do is pay for the cost of the actual service but you don't pay an additional fee to have the service performed).

I feel like their residents were exceptionally smart (at least the team I was on was). They really do practice evidence based medicine and the residents would commonly present articles with their assessment and plan for a patient. The program also has multiple fellowship programs which is lucrative. I left this hospital with such a good vibe, I ended up matching in the socal area, but this would have been my next choice since I really wanted to end up in california.

I did a sub-I here and I think one of the main reasons it's not attractive is because of the location. Aside from that, I found the residents and program director to be extremely friendly and encouraging. I did not feel overly pressured or or demeaned once during my whole month. Even after doing my sub-I, my residents kept in touch with me throughout the months to make sure the ERAS process was going well (even though one of them was a prelim and had no reason to keep in contact with me). They genuinely care and support about their residents. (And just so you know, they have a service for both residents and medical students where they hire a third party to basically do your chores like going out to buy your groceries, pick up your dry cleaning, get your car washed, etc - all you have to do is pay for the cost of the actual service but you don't pay an additional fee to have the service performed).

I feel like their residents were exceptionally smart (at least the team I was on was). They really do practice evidence based medicine and the residents would commonly present articles with their assessment and plan for a patient. The program also has multiple fellowship programs which is lucrative. I left this hospital with such a good vibe, I ended up matching in the socal area, but this would have been my next choice since I really wanted to end up in california.

Interesting perks, especially if the fees are reasonable and affordable on a resident's salary (which it sounds like they are).

Interesting perks, especially if the fees are reasonable and affordable on a resident's salary (which it sounds like they are).

I think i explained it incorrectly. If your dry cleaning is $10 then you basically the third party service $10 to go get your dry cleaning - there are no extra fee, just the actual cost of what you need done.

Ok, so Fresno has to pay the nanny/maid service. Frees up resident time since their hours are generally outside of normal business hours.

Its' been a few years since I attended UCSF-fresno as a prelim-

I hope the program is better for prelims. I don't know if it was the chiefs for that year but it was extremely malignant towards preliminaries. Aside from what I will be sharing, I admit that I have met many great residents and faculty. Steve Tringali was one of my seniors and I see that he is now assistant program director, really nice and fair guy. Hope he changed the atmosphere. I realize a lot of people want to be in california, if you are a prelim and can get into another program in cali, DO IT! If you can't and need to be close to family, it's really not the end of the world.

Positive experiences (trying to be fair):
1. Free food. Doctor's lounge is incredible. TV, pop-corn, breakfast and lunch buffet every day. Star bucks machines.
2. Great faculty/attendings and ancillary staff. Dr. Mather comes to mind.
3. Tons of pathology.
4. Most categoricals are not threatened by the prelims and there is mutual respect and collegiality. Watch out for the few who are insecure though!

Negative experiences.
1. Night call is extremely busy. Also more weeks of nights than other programs. It's fine though and an expected part of internship.
2. Like I stated above, program was malignant towards non-categoricals [ I hope it's changed but haven't heard anything to support that idea] :
A few examples-
-I was accused of doing drugs by the program director (Darden) from a "third party." It was the worst feeling ever to hear," someone told me you are doing drugs and I can't tell you who, when, what or how! " I had 0 incidents up to that encounter and had 0 incidents since. It was awkward.
- Another issue I heard about from my other colleagues along the same lines is that when accusations are placed against residents by whoever, you are never told who or why they were placed. The deck is stacked against the accused, hands tied, unable to defend or offer a rebuttal.
- One of the Chiefs on multiple occasions walked into my clinic room in-between patients and threatened me about losing my job. It was stressful hearing that as an intern, I didn't know any better.
3. Non-caterogicals were given the worst call shifts, covered on holidays, multiple weekends in a row of call, etc. A few times I was asked by my seniors to finish a full day shift ie stay until 5 pm post-call; on one occasion it was because one of my categorical intern colleagues fiancee was picking her up early to go on vacation.
4. We were constantly reminded that faculty will never try to distinguish between categoricals and non-categoricals. Not true. Almost every attending asked us and pushed hard to find out.
5.Fresno as a location is ok. Proximity to so cal or N cali was a plus.

Hey guys! Really interested in these places due to my wife's job offers. My goal is to go somewhere that carries the "clout" to leave the door open for GI, Heme Onc, or Endocrine fellowships.

I likely would be able to go anywhere for fellowship in terms of geography- would these programs all be able to achieve these fellowships? Thanks

Hey guys! Really interested in these places due to my wife's job offers. My goal is to go somewhere that carries the "clout" to leave the door open for GI, Heme Onc, or Endocrine fellowships.

I likely would be able to go anywhere for fellowship in terms of geography- would these programs all be able to achieve these fellowships? Thanks

Taking only your fellowship aspirations into account:
UAB~=Emory~=Iowa>Wake>MUSC

Have you heard back from all of these places already? I was under the impression that wake hadn't sent any interviews yet?

iowa = emory????? really guys???

Iowa is an exceptional program- easily a top 30. I assume you are someone from the Northwest or East Coast, as students from these areas tend to have a skewed view of reputation towards the midwest (Or anything that is not UCSF, MGH, Hopkins)

Reactions: 1 user
:laugh:

yeah nOOb

not every academic powerhouse exists in a huge metropolitan center on one of the coasts

I'm pretty sure academic powerhouses can only be in Boston or San Franscisco. Nowhere else.

I think it also needs to be stated that prestigious programs with excellent training are only in the north. Anything south of the Mason Dixon line is just a backwater program full of hicks.

I think it also needs to be stated that prestigious programs with excellent training are only in the north. Anything south of the Mason Dixon line is just a backwater program full of hicks.

The fact that you think it needed to be stated leads me to believe that your training (if you want to call it that) happened south of the Manson/Nixon line.

Yeh true, I hear Worcester is bit of a dump. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

although if I do end up matching at UMass next year, I'll def live in a western Boston suburb, in the Newton area. I'll take the 1 hour commute hit to live in a better city, lol.

But good to know its solid in reputation, and I guess by your spin on it, sounds like a proper 2nd tier program.

Nice.

hey man, did you end up matching/interviewing there? I just got an invite from them and was wondering if you can shed some light on the quality of the program.