Probation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cipher9422

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m sorry if I come off vague but I really don’t want to put anything that would identify me.

I got placed on probation intern year for professionalism reasons. ACGME notified and the full shabang. Thankfully I was taken off halfway through for exceptional improvement and have been in good standing ever since.

I’m a third year Medicine resident now and will be graduating on time this year. Only thing is I feel like my history of probation will hinder me from being able to land a decent future job. Most people I’ve asked about this say not to worry but when I questioned whether or not they knew of anyone in a similar situation they say no.

I’m not making any excuses for being placed on probation. I understand why it was done. If anything I’ve overcompensated like a son of a gun and have been more active in hospital committees, teaching, research, etc. so that’s a plus I guess.
I’m just looking for honest answers if anyone can provide them. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

We don't really report things like this to the ACGME except with the milestones, and those are private and not released to anyone. So I wouldn't worry about that.

The main question here is what your program will be releasing in record requests. You should ask them specifically what your final documentation will say. If your final summary is supportive, I expect you won't have much problem.

Reactions: 3 users
There are various types of 'probation' and whether or not they go on your 'permanent record'. Just talk to your PD about what will be in your residency confirmation notice and what you need to report when applying for licensing or jobs.

We put residents on 'probation' not infrequently, but it was a 'hey, you need to get your **** together' discussion rather than a 'this is a formal process that you will need to report' discussion unless they failed to show improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen this a few times before. (Especially in the 1st year!) In each and every case the young doc has moved on with their career just fine. In fact, I would say that they are better people for their experience.

The institutional response isn't really the issue, its what precipitated that action on their part. So its hard to say if it would matter without knowing what you did that lead to that. They could have terribly overreacted and I wouldn't care or excused something I would find inexcusable or anything in between.

Reactions: 1 user