Leave or get Terminated after an academic probation period? FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CautiousLearner

Reaction score
I am a DO in a FM residency program, about to finish my first year in a month. I am about to take my Level 3 within the next few weeks. I had three months of hospitalist [inpt/internal medicine] rotations over the year. However, not performing to the resident standard over this year, especially in the hospital medicine rotation, I have been notified that I have one more month in June to show improvement or I will not be allowed back on the floors.
I am working hard, not just for the upcoming hospital rotation in June which will decide that, however, also studying for my Level 3. I am in no means giving up. However, I have been reading on this forum and it seems that when a resident is put in this position, leaving or getting fired is pretty much the only option.
What are ways to turn things around, what should I do? I feel like whatever I do I am pretty much 'written off" and whenever I hear constructive feedback from this point it feels like I screwed up another thing and they will definitely kick me out if I made this mistake. I am starting to feel more lonely and depressed, like I am a screwup and don't feel that I deserve to talk to the other residents because I feel dumber than them.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Have you been in a remediation program this past year? Did you fail any rotations? Are you on probation? It seems like there is so much you have left and that’s fine but I don’t think anybody can help you without some background of how you got here. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a DO in a FM residency program, about to finish my first year in a month. I am about to take my Level 3 within the next few weeks. I had three months of hospitalist [inpt/internal medicine] rotations over the year. However, not performing to the resident standard over this year, especially in the hospital medicine rotation, I have been notified that I have one more month in June to show improvement or I will not be allowed back on the floors.
I am working hard, not just for the upcoming hospital rotation in June which will decide that, however, also studying for my Level 3. I am in no means giving up. However, I have been reading on this forum and it seems that when a resident is put in this position, leaving or getting fired is pretty much the only option.
What are ways to turn things around, what should I do? I feel like whatever I do I am pretty much 'written off" and whenever I hear constructive feedback from this point it feels like I screwed up another thing and they will definitely kick me out if I made this mistake. I am starting to feel more lonely and depressed, like I am a screwup and don't feel that I deserve to talk to the other residents because I feel dumber than them.
Get help for this ASAP, because the danger is you'll fall into a negative spiral professionally. You need all the help you can get from your peers.

This is NOT giving medical advice, either.

Reactions: 8 users
I did not do so well on my ITE. But for the most part, I have received average to decent reviews on most of my rotations. My major waterloo pretty much started after the month March internal medicine [hospitalist] rotation. They told me that the last Internal Medicine [hospital] month I had referenced, I had a barely passing grade on it. I have not failed any rotation right now. I think they are trying to do is stop things before they get worse, but, after reading the forum posts on this site, it seems whenever things get to this level, it's pretty much find yourself a new place.

Goro,
in response to your post, I am not sure if this is stressing me out or my coming exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I do definetly plan on reaching out to a mental health counselor, after my exam on the 20th.

It's hard for us to know what your program's thoughts or intentions are. If they are a program with some board failures, they have to watch out for their accreditation. If you did poorly on your ITE, that maybe threw up some red flags with the program and brought into doubt your ability to pass the FM board exam eventually.

Not to pile on more stress, but if you rock Level 3 and do well clinically now, it may reassure them that you are a candidate that might not have as much trouble with the board exam. That could take the heat off.

Again, that is all just a thought. We can't know exactly all that is going on up front or behind the scenes there.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Please provide us with more information (we can continue this discussion by PM if you prefer) about what exactly you've been told. If your FM program is under the ACGME, there is a process prior to getting kicked out (or more precisely: termination/non-renewal of your contract) and it doesn't seem like you've gone through it. It includes a:

1.) PIP (Professional Improvement Plan- i.e. remediation plan). Not on your record if you complete it successfully. You still continue everything you're doing. Basically, they will outline a set of objectives and comments that raised their concern that's meant to help you change your behavior.

2.) Probation/Corrective Action: Basically, by definition, this stage is where they change your schedule or take a "corrective action" in order to protect patient safety. Only two outcomes can result. You either improve to satisfaction of your program or proceed to #3.

3.) If you do not improve after X amount of probation time which is determined on an individual basis, it's to the program's discretion to not renew your contract OR straight up terminate you (only really done when there's a professionalism or gross patient safety concern). You are then eligible to reapply to the match +/- switch fields or choose to do something else.

-------------
Now, the next point is that they're saying they "won't allow you on the floors". This, by definition, is a corrective action meaning you're likely going to end up on probation by July. Technically what should be happening now is the PIP/Remediation. They should be providing you with resources of how to deal with this but IDK...maybe this is an AOA program or maybe there's something else going on...I don't know. Regardless, the things they give you to improve are usually not helpful as they're just additional hoops to jump through (meet with X, go to Y). The one exception is that they should be providing you with some sort of caregiver support and that part is helpful. You should be seeing a professional counselor to get to the bottom of what the issues are and what you can do to resolve them.

The next thing I want to address is that it's very difficult to change people's mind when under the microscope which you now are. It takes a lot of proactive social skills. Make sure you come to work put together each day. No one will tell you about subjective things like you looking flustered, etc. Show up early, make sure all your notes/orders are done as well as possible. Do not, however, spread knowledge of your situation to other residents/attendings. It is good to elicit feedback, but don't do it excessively or else attendings will sense something is wrong and give you more feedback which only makes things worse. If you feel like you need it, ask one of your seniors you trust that you need some serious help with certain aspects of residency and see if someone is willing to help you with what you're struggling with.

Lastly, Level 3 should be the least of your worries and I would just forget about it regardless of whether you have paid your fees. To my knowledge, some programs require it done by the end of PGY-2 or else there may be a non-renewal of contract. I am not familiar with any place of that does it after PGY-1 but if yours is one, I guess you have no choice to take and pass it before July.

Feel free to message me privately and we can discuss your situation more in depth. I am willing to discuss things like clinical reasoning with you on a daily basis if needed.

----
EDIT: I typed this all out before seeing your ITE thing. What was your ITE performance exactly? Are we talking 40th percentile or <5th percentile? If it is the latter, then maybe there is a medical knowledge concern paired with your patient care skills. In that case, maybe Level 3 is a good idea to get over with to say hey, I have medical knowledge. I highly suspect that based on the timing though this is less about a medical knowledge concern than it is about patient safety. Your failed your hospital rotation (not exactly sure what kind of program "grades" rotations, but w/e) and that's what's spurred this. Unless there was a shelf exam involved, the concern had to be due to some practical deficit they're concerned about you having on the floor, not your ITE score (although that may be a concern that they will add on when they draft documents about all of this...or it could be that that was what put you on the radar if your scores were significantly low).

Anchoring bias in medicine is very real. We do it to our patients and doctors do it to eachother. Whatever happens going forward, it's not worth your compromising your sanity and there's a fine line between doing everything you can to becoming insane. To some extent, people's initial impressions are hard to change. Do your best, but if things are not working out...well we can cross that bridge when we get there. Regardless, I want to reassure you that whatever happens, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and you will be happy even if you have a setback. Feel free to PM to continue this conversation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Please provide us with more information (we can continue this discussion by PM if you prefer) about what exactly you've been told. If your FM program is under the ACGME, there is a process prior to getting kicked out (or more precisely: termination/non-renewal of your contract) and it doesn't seem like you've gone through it. It includes a:

1.) PIP (Professional Improvement Plan- i.e. remediation plan). Not on your record if you complete it successfully. You still continue everything you're doing. Basically, they will outline a set of objectives and comments that raised their concern that's meant to help you change your behavior.

2.) Probation/Corrective Action: Basically, by definition, this stage is where they change your schedule or take a "corrective action" in order to protect patient safety. Only two outcomes can result. You either improve to satisfaction of your program or proceed to #3.

3.) If you do not improve after X amount of probation time which is determined on an individual basis, it's to the program's discretion to not renew your contract OR straight up terminate you (only really done when there's a professionalism or gross patient safety concern). You are then eligible to reapply to the match +/- switch fields or choose to do something else.

-------------
Now, the next point is that they're saying they "won't allow you on the floors". This, by definition, is a corrective action meaning you're likely going to end up on probation by July. Technically what should be happening now is the PIP/Remediation. They should be providing you with resources of how to deal with this but IDK...maybe this is an AOA program or maybe there's something else going on...I don't know. Regardless, the things they give you to improve are usually not helpful as they're just additional hoops to jump through (meet with X, go to Y). The one exception is that they should be providing you with some sort of caregiver support and that part is helpful. You should be seeing a professional counselor to get to the bottom of what the issues are and what you can do to resolve them.

The next thing I want to address is that it's very difficult to change people's mind when under the microscope which you now are. It takes a lot of proactive social skills. Make sure you come to work put together each day. No one will tell you about subjective things like you looking flustered, etc. Show up early, make sure all your notes/orders are done as well as possible. Do not, however, spread knowledge of your situation to other residents/attendings. It is good to elicit feedback, but don't do it excessively or else attendings will sense something is wrong and give you more feedback which only makes things worse. If you feel like you need it, ask one of your seniors you trust that you need some serious help with certain aspects of residency and see if someone is willing to help you with what you're struggling with.

Lastly, Level 3 should be the least of your worries and I would just forget about it regardless of whether you have paid your fees. To my knowledge, some programs require it done by the end of PGY-2 or else there may be a non-renewal of contract. I am not familiar with any place of that does it after PGY-1 but if yours is one, I guess you have no choice to take and pass it before July.

Feel free to message me privately and we can discuss your situation more in depth. I am willing to discuss things like clinical reasoning with you on a daily basis if needed.

----
EDIT: I typed this all out before seeing your ITE thing. What was your ITE performance exactly? Are we talking 40th percentile or <5th percentile? If it is the latter, then maybe there is a medical knowledge concern paired with your patient care skills. In that case, maybe Level 3 is a good idea to get over with to say hey, I have medical knowledge. I highly suspect that based on the timing though this is less about a medical knowledge concern than it is about patient safety. Your failed your hospital rotation (not exactly sure what kind of program "grades" rotations, but w/e) and that's what's spurred this. Unless there was a shelf exam involved, the concern had to be due to some practical deficit they're concerned about you having on the floor, not your ITE score (although that may be a concern that they will add on when they draft documents about all of this...or it could be that that was what put you on the radar if your scores were significantly low).

Anchoring bias in medicine is very real. We do it to our patients and doctors do it to eachother. Whatever happens going forward, it's not worth your compromising your sanity and there's a fine line between doing everything you can to becoming insane. To some extent, people's initial impressions are hard to change. Do your best, but if things are not working out...well we can cross that bridge when we get there. Regardless, I want to reassure you that whatever happens, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and you will be happy even if you have a setback. Feel free to PM to continue this conversation.
One of the best posts on this topic I have seen in years following these issues on the forum.

OP I know it's one more thing to do, but if you can I would take this offer up.

Reactions: 5 users
Great post overall but this is one important thing you can do to help yourself right now. Unless your program or state requires you to take Level 3 now, don't do it. Cancel your appointment now and put all your energy into your clinical work.

A good score is unlikely to help you much and a bad score will absolutely hurt you.

Have you talked to a trusted faculty mentor or the GME office about this? Preferably both?

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I am required to take level 3 to move past year 1, that is the program rule. They had sent an email about that.

I am required to take level 3 to move past year 1, that is the program rule. They had sent an email about that.
You are required? Or everyone is required? If it's everyone, that's fine. If it's just you, that needs to be part of a formal PIP.

Reactions: 3 users
I truly appreciate all the help here! I really do feel lost.
I guess we will talk more by PM, but one vibe I’m getting here (for others reading this in this situation later) is that this program is not doesn’t seem to be supportive. I’ll tell you why I think that.

#1: OP made no mention of a PIP. There’s no obligation for a program to give residents a PIP, but generally supportive programs are willing to start with that route especially if the issues are solely limited to a resident’s knowledge/competence. As GutOnc mentions, this is a formal process, not a simple conversation where an ultimatum is provided.

#2: Given OPs struggles, you would think something could be done about Step 3, but no...OP has to take it way before most US MDs across many fields take it. I understand this may be in the contract but oftentimes programs offer extenuating circumstances one of which would be this.

#3: I personally feel help a program offers can actually be cumbersome (because it’s essentially checkboxes to complete and incompletion comes off as unprofessionalism), but the fact that OP has not to been assigned to seek out counseling services is another sign this program is lacking in support.

When I say support, I don’t mean genuine above&beyond support. I mean to say for one reason or other it doesn’t seem like they are providing OP with even the basics all programs should be providing. Maybe it’s because I haven’t heard the whole story and I’m not suggesting this warrants condemning the program, but I think OP needs to have a talk with GME now as opposed to later to discuss next steps and options if your program is not communicating them to you clearly in a timely manner. That may also include plans for Step 3. At the very least you’ll come out with a clearer picture of what the heck is going on.

I guess we will talk more by PM, but one vibe I’m getting here (for others reading this in this situation later) is that this program is not doesn’t seem to be supportive. I’ll tell you why I think that.

#1: OP made no mention of a PIP. There’s no obligation for a program to give residents a PIP, but generally supportive programs are willing to start with that route especially if the issues are solely limited to a resident’s knowledge/competence. As GutOnc mentions, this is a formal process, not a simple conversation where an ultimatum is provided.

#2: Given OPs struggles, you would think something could be done about Step 3, but no...OP has to take it way before most US MDs across many fields take it. I understand this may be in the contract but oftentimes programs offer extenuating circumstances one of which would be this.

#3: I personally feel help a program offers can actually be cumbersome (because it’s essentially checkboxes to complete and incompletion comes off as unprofessionalism), but the fact that OP has not to been assigned to seek out counseling services is another sign this program is lacking in support.

When I say support, I don’t mean genuine above&beyond support. I mean to say for one reason or other it doesn’t seem like they are providing OP with even the basics all programs should be providing. Maybe it’s because I haven’t heard the whole story and I’m not suggesting this warrants condemning the program, but I think OP needs to have a talk with GME now as opposed to later to discuss next steps and options if your program is not communicating them to you clearly in a timely manner. That may also include plans for Step 3. At the very least you’ll come out with a clearer picture of what the heck is going on.

Should a resident that is struggling get additional benefits that other residents in the program are not receiving?

Should a resident that is struggling get additional benefits that other residents in the program are not receiving?
I believe so! It’s not hurting anyone or demanding further constraints on a system. I would hardly call an extension period for Step 3 an “additional benefit”. It’s not like OPs probation grants them a larger food stipend. It’s more like an “accommodation”. The way I’d phrase it in a formal PIP is that OP is focusing on clinical performance for these next three months and it is for this extenuating circumstance that we grant OP a 3-month extension to our USMLE Step 3 policy. Then next year maybe include a clause saying residents must complete step 3 USMLE by the end of year 1 or else their contract will not be renewed barring extentuating circumstances.

OP is now in dangerous waters and the sole focus needs to be on clinical work. It’s kind of disingenuous for a program to say you need to fix your clinical work or else you will be pulled off floors and then also pass Step 3 when they know OP is going to need a lot of time to prepare. Are they more interested in upholding arbitrary protocols or developing residents?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I believe so! It’s not hurting anyone or demanding further constraints on a system. I would hardly call an extension period for Step 3 an “additional benefit”. It’s not like OPs probation grants them a larger food stipend. It’s more like an “accommodation”. The way I’d phrase it in a formal PIP is that OP is focusing on clinical performance for these next three months and it is for this extenuating circumstance that we grant OP a 3-month extension to our USMLE Step 3 policy. Then next year maybe include a clause saying residents must complete step 3 USMLE by the end of year 1 or else their contract will not be renewed barring extentuating circumstances.

OP is now in dangerous waters and the sole focus needs to be on clinical work. It’s kind of disingenuous for a program to say you need to fix your clinical work or else you will be pulled off floors and then also pass Step 3 when they know OP is going to need a lot of time to prepare. Are they more interested in upholding arbitrary protocols or developing residents?

Is it a residency programs job to get everyone through or to set a standard and expect its residents to meet it?

Is it a residency programs job to get everyone through or to set a standard and expect its residents to meet it?
Set standards to meet. If you want to say that though then present OP with a plausible path to meet the expectations or discuss an alternative plan.

But the resident has had all year to do step 3, unless covid was the issue... then it would be an issue that is effecting the whole class... did the other residents in the program get this done in a timely manner?
The fact that they left step 3 to so late, knowing that it needed to be completed in the first year to advance, could be another sign of their problem.

That’s a good point that he’s had all year. Fair, maybe you two are right about it.

It’s unclear about what exactly the primary issue is here still.
I’m uncertain whether their primary concern is his medical knowledge or patient care. There’s a difference. Some residents know their stuff and are able to apply it at times but then have issues with execution of tasks. Others know less but are organized/methodical or can work within the system to not raise alarm bells and make everyone happy. Like how exactly did we determine how the resident was not performing at the resident level? Was it a knowledge thing or a patient care thing? Did the ITE scores put him on the radar to be examined closely or was he suggesting/doing things that aren’t medically indicated on patients?

The distinction is important because if it’s the former than USMLE Step 3 can serve as redemption especially for FM. If it’s the latter, then it’s just a bad situation all round I guess.

Set standards to meet. If you want to say that though then present OP with a plausible path to meet the expectations or discuss an alternative plan.

I agree with giving the resident the ingredients to succeed. But doing step 3 while in internship is pretty standard. I would expect the resident to step up their game to meet the standards of every other resident...the standard by which the resident apparently is not meeting. I would also expect them to meet the step 3 standard expected by all of the residents. Give him/her the mental health resources that they need. Frankly, should be available to more than just this particular resident..I wish that non-punitive and confidential mental health resources would be more available and advertised for all programs. I was fortunately at a training program where that was pretty much standard.

Important question for OP - have you been formally put on probation or remediation of any kind, on paper? Or has everything been by word of mouth? Not sure if your residency is accredited by the ACGME, but if so there are specific formal steps they have to take before firing a resident (probation or remediation being one of them), particularly if the issues are academic in nature.
One thing I've seen programs do even when formally putting residents on probation is citing vague problems and not showing any specific educational plan of remediation or what would constitute not meeting the requirements of passing the remediation or rectifying the problems that led to the probation. If they try to put you on probation and the documentation doesn't contain these items, I would appeal the decision by making the points I described, stating that having no plan for success is itself a plan for failure.

OP's program is not the only one that requires completion of Step/Level 3 by PGY1 or early in PGY2. For our categorical residents it's by Nov/Dec of PGY2, but many FM programs require completion by at the latest halfway through training. Some programs even require an unrestricted license prior to advance to 3rd year, or if more lax its absolutely required to graduate. Keep in mind that timelines often are a bit different in FM. PGY3s are expected to take the board exams in April before they graduate, which is the standard.

OP, as for your statements, if your program has not actually failed you on any rotations, that actually is a good sign. You've gotten good advice on here already, but based on what you have described it honestly sounds like your program is trying to intervene early prior to probation. I wouldn't rush to assuming all is lost and the only options are leaving or being fired. I've known multiple people that struggled with inpatient, but not quite enough to be failed, and they just needed a little more time before officially becoming seniors and ended up doing fine and finishing. Of course, I've known people that didn't finish, but they are also the ones that failed most/almost all of their inpatient rotations.

Focus on doing well on this rotation and incorporating the feedback that you get along the way. Constructive feedback is a path, not a degradation. If they greenlight/pass you on your final rotation and give you credit for at least intern year, that gives some options to you even if you don't completely finish, but don't settle there. Take things one week and one block at a time. Ask for feedback every week from your senior and your attending and incorporate those changes. Do it in a way that shows you want to improve, and not that you lack confidence - i.e. a way that shows introspection rather than a need for validation. Another big thing to watch out for is recognizing what is specific to an attending's preferences or styles and what is generalizable to all attendings.

You can get past this and you can finish. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry for the delay, I am juggling things between my Level 3 studies and clinical duties so at times do not post often.
I have been provided with a PIP as of last wednesday, if I did not mention this prior I apologize.
They changed the policy a little bit later in the year for us, where they emailed us to give a heads up about program requiring step or level 3 to move forward into second year. Plus I believe NBOME has a requirement at least one half or so of intern year has to be done. A number of interns were flustered with the scheduling as well.
To add to my worries, my PD sat in with two of my clinic based pt encounters last friday, i got feedback that my physical exams needed a lot of improvement, otherwise gave me feedback such as sit facing patient or use smaller words when talking to them.
However, when I went back and read my evaluation that was put in my file for those two encounters, my PD had written I behave like a medical student level M3 or 4 right now. They have pulled me from half a day's of rotation for tomorrow and are having me work with a third year resident 1:1.

After everything at this point, I really do not think I have a remote shot of continuing within the program.
1 I havent heard about residents recovering from such a nose dive.
2 my clinic attendings now come to see all of my patients 1:1 now.

I think the extent of trouble I am in is a lot and do not see a way out of this.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for the delay, I am juggling things between my Level 3 studies and clinical duties so at times do not post often.
I have been provided with a PIP as of last wednesday, if I did not mention this prior I apologize.
They changed the policy a little bit later in the year for us, where they emailed us to give a heads up about program requiring step or level 3 to move forward into second year. Plus I believe NBOME has a requirement at least one half or so of intern year has to be done. A number of interns were flustered with the scheduling as well.
To add to my worries, my PD sat in with two of my clinic based pt encounters last friday, i got feedback that my physical exams needed a lot of improvement, otherwise gave me feedback such as sit facing patient or use smaller words when talking to them.
However, when I went back and read my evaluation that was put in my file for those two encounters, my PD had written I behave like a medical student level M3 or 4 right now. They have pulled me from half a day's of rotation for tomorrow and are having me work with a third year resident 1:1.

After everything at this point, I really do not think I have a remote shot of continuing within the program.

I think the extent of trouble I am in is a lot and do not see a way out of this.
I'm sorry. This does seem quite a bit worse than what you described before. Typically I see this sort of thing (having people sit in on encounters, writing things like "at the level of x", comments about your physical exam skills, pairing with a senior 1:1, etc.) with people where the program is accumulating evidence to justify removal.

Your primary goal at this moment will be to try to obtain credit for your intern year and if possible to get a good letter from your PD for transitioning to another program (whether in FM or not).

There is always a way out of things. At this point, you just need to try your best to obtain what I just described to you. I have known multiple people that have obtained other residencies as well as people that have made it work as a GP in a variety of jobs.

Reactions: 4 users
However, when I went back and read my evaluation that was put in my file for those two encounters, my PD had written I behave like a medical student level M3 or 4 right now.
They have pulled me from half a day's of rotation for tomorrow and are having me work with a third year resident 1:1.

That sounds like a witch hunt, not an evaluation. I guarantee that you're not the only one who would get caught using big words or looking at the computer instead of the patient during an office visit. That is terribly unhelpful feedback unless there was more. There has to be a reason the faculty have formed this impression of you and are now piling on and looking for reasons to support it. It's very likely at least one of these occurred.

A) There were series of incidences on the floor that someone may have reported. This triggered the Clinical Competency Committee to learn about you.
B) There was an attending (could have appeared nice - they usually do) who you really struggled to crack and they came out with a bad impression of you and hence effectively reported you.
C) Your demeanor relative to your residents comes off as clueless whether that is a product of experience, medical knowledge, anxiety, organization, etc. and that is caught by many of your attendings leading to consistently low evaluations.

Who are your fellow residents? If they're mostly IMGs, I could totally see this being the case of an AMG in a crowd of already experience IMG trainees where you stick out. I'm not trying to arm you with more excuses but trying to paint a picture for you to allow you to introspect and know what you need to try to improve.

---

What you need to do:

1.) Thank your program director for his candor and for offering the PIP because you know this isn't an opportunity afforded to every resident. Ask for specific things during the clinical encounter that you did wrong or suggested vs. what an R1 would suggest because R3s still use medical terminology and face the computer while typing. I suppose the physical exam is something, but no one's physical exam skills are amazing and some are stuck at the med student level. Figure out what it is in your clinical reasoning process/interview process that's awry because that's what you need to improve. Don't be too firm or else they'll think you're arguing, but genuinely ask them and say hey, I am really sad to hear I am at this level and was wondering (and please be honest/brutal with me) what exactly lead you to make these impressions of me. Don't ask it in a challenging way or argue.

2.) I unfortunately think your assessment as well as Hallowmann's is more or less accurate. They do not seem to have much confidence in you and are now basically going to start documenting/nitpicking to gather more data. My advice when in this situation is to not fundamentally change what you do. Now...if you're coming in late or arguing with colleagues/upper levels, stop that! When it comes to effort/work, I would not drive myself to the point of craziness. It will only make you look more flustered and attract more negative attention. Stay organized, stay focused, and keep doing what you are already doing right. That's important. You may not be doing a good job but if there's just such a gross clinical deficit as they describe, it's going to take a lot more than 3 months and working with a PGY-3 for a day. Things will get worse acutely before they get better but I guarantee you people evaluating won't see it that way so at least maintain the facade that you know what you're doing or else you're literally asking people to criticize and evaluate you poorly.

3.) When working with the PGY-3, keep in mind you're still being assessed. DO NOT tell this PGY-3 what your PD thought. If you do, you're basically poisoning the well for yourself and giving the PGY-3 resident ammunition to use against you and I guarantee they will unless they absolutely love you which is unlikely to happen over this short time course. This person isn't a safe space for you to air whatever you feel or to ask dumb questions to. Do not give him/her any information they do not already have about how you're currently doing. I guarantee you that even though this session's meant to be formative/help, the leadership will solicit an impression from the PGY-3. Act normally and then solicit their advice and have a good attitude about it. Afterwards, try to do everything you can to improve without going overboard. I guess if the PD makes it explicitly clear he will not ask the PGY-3 anything, then ask away but again I recommend you not advertise the fact that you're struggling. Word will spread the other residents and attendings.

4.) Your focus should be 100% on this, but you may want to start mentally preparing yourself for a probation come July and what your fallback will be if your contract is ultimately not renewed. This isn't so that you can make other plans but so you have some sense of what will happen next so you don't feel like the world is ending if you aren't successful in this endeavor of changing their minds.

5.) When you're making a plan with your attending run it through in your head like a dress rehearsal beforehand. Does it make sense? Say your patient has chest pain and your plan is do to a CXR, EKG, and Troponin in clinic (very basic, stupid example). Think about what you are looking for on the XR and will it change your management (always ask yourself that). If it shows X, what will you next? Be prepared with those answers. Medical students (and even residents) order things reflexively and when asked why...they often give an incoherent jumbled answer. Don't do this or else you'll set youself up for trouble with attendings looking to prove a point. Even if they're happy to explain it to you, know that it will show up in the eval. If you can go through and give that sequence (if X-> Y), attendings may not just see you as completely clueless but instead say, "I understand you want to do a CXR to rule out an aortic dissection, do you really think it would be able to show an aortic dissection" to which you guys can have a discussion about and you two will be on the same wavelength as to where you went wrong instead of making people think you're all over the place...anyhow that's more for people who are chronically unorganized/scatterbrained and how to prevent them from being put under the radar, but it's probably still helpful for you.

It's very important to make your clinical plan obvious so people can follow it. Attendings get confused very easily and don't expect them to listen to or try to comprehend your thoughts. They want things in a straightforward, comprehendable manner. When it comes to a diagnosis, just put your money down on what you think it is and come up with your most likely diagnosis. Your differential should not miss anything you don't want to miss. Come up with a plan to rule out anything you don't want to miss and confirm anything that is the most likely. Honestly, I'm 100% sure you've been given this lecture before, which is why I think you need to find someone safe (who's not judging you) to practice this with in real time. I can help you out if this is an area that you are struggling with. I have written a few cases this afternoon to go over with you if you're interested via PM.

6.) Keep me updated. I can help with some of the nitty gritty clinical reasoning stuff as I know IM fairly well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
RedPancreas,
I have DM'd you in our personal message chain and look forward to your guidance as this situation furthers and your guidance on IM studying.

I am so sorry that you are in this situation, I have Been there. Some attendings /faculty are really there to ruin you. I can totally relate.
Red Pancreas advises are absolutely right. I wish if I could find somebody like her. But nevertheless I wish you very good luck .

I suggest you watch physical exam (PE) videos and practice on family members or friends. PE is easier to remediate than medical knowledge, communication skills etc...

Also ask the strongest PGY3 in your program to help you. Spend 1-2 hours/wk with that person if he/she is willing to. Programs like that when they see you are putting your best foot forward to correct deficiencies.

I am going to be honest here: the fact that your program placed you on academic probation a month into residency means that you have serious deficiencies that need immediate intervention. You definitely have to take this VERY seriously. You dont want to get booted out given that you've work hard to get to this point.

Last edited:
  • Love
Have you gotten any details about what specific milestones you haven't met?
I received feedback from program that I am not ready for indirect supervision yet. I am lagging in terms of clinical care such as history, performing physical, discussing treatment plans with patient and assessing their concerns appropriately. And also coming up with treatment plans. All the residents in my program are capable to do that. All of them are AMG’s. PD told me that I have to be ready for indirect supervision by September 19. I just started my training from June 16 and I was kept on academic probation as soon as I started my training. I got pulled into vicious cycle one after another saying that I don’t have the general idea of how health system works here. Not knowing the patient well where they come from and not establishing rapport with them. Repeating the sentences that I am going to examine you. Do you need medication refills?
But my point is I don’t think I have been provided sufficient time to show my level of improvement. It has been only 2 weeks I started going to clinic and having direct encounter with them. This is kind of really frustating for me.

I suggest you watch physical exam (PE) videos and practice on family members or friends. PE is easier to remediate than medical knowledge, communication skills etc...

Also ask the strongest PGY3 in your program to help you. Spend 1-2 hours/wk with that person if he/she is willing to. Programs like that when they see you are putting your best foot forward to correct deficiencies.

I am going to be honest here: the fact that your program placed you on academic probation a month into residency means that you have serious deficiencies that need immediate intervention. You definitely have to take this VERY seriously. You dont want to get booted out given that you've work hard to get to this point.
Thank you for your advices and suggestions. I have been trying to correct my deficiencies by watching PE videos in youtube. It sounds good idea asking help from third year resident too if he/she is willing to help me through this.

Thank you for your advices and suggestions. I have been trying to correct my deficiencies by watching PE videos in youtube. It sounds good idea asking help from third year resident too if he/she is willing to help me through this.
Do whatever it takes to stay in this program because if they terminate you, it will be hard to find another program as a FMG.

Thanks for providing me insight. You are right. I do understand the consequences of termination especially for FMG’s. We don’t really have much choices for residency programs. That’s why I am so much worried about. It all depends how program gonna respond to me in next week. I was wondering if they could provide me some time after Sept 19 if they want me to take care of patient independently. I Will talk with program about that. These days, I find counselling patient difficult one more than physical exam . Since they ask lot of questions about the prognosis of disease and not knowing that vey well, I have faced difficulties many times making them satisfied with my answers. Any suggestions how I can get better with that??

Thanks for providing me insight. You are right. I do understand the consequences of termination especially for FMG’s. We don’t really have much choices for residency programs. That’s why I am so much worried about. It all depends how program gonna respond to me in next week. I was wondering if they could provide me some time after Sept 19 if they want me to take care of patient independently. I Will talk with program about that. These days, I find counselling patient difficult one more than physical exam . Since they ask lot of questions about the prognosis of disease and not knowing that vey well, I have faced difficulties many times making them satisfied with my answers. Any suggestions how I can get better with that??

Have you set yourself any reading goals?

You should read more about the illnesses you routinely see. If someone with heart disease asks about prognosis, you should be able to draw on your knowledge of heart disease and what happens, in general, without necessarily needing them to give them specifics on their own. But you know what heart disease is, you know what the patient's co-morbidities are, you know what the patient needs to do on his or her end and what treatments are available. If they're pressing for more specifics than that, it's reasonable in September of intern year not to have all the answers and say we'll talk to you about that with Dr. (senior resident). But you should be able to have a conversation/discuss risks/options with the patients. And if not, you should schedule some time every day to read up on these illnesses.

You should read more about the illnesses you routinely see. If someone with heart disease asks about prognosis, you should be able to draw on your knowledge of heart disease and what happens, in general, without necessarily needing them to give them specifics on their own. But you know what heart disease is, you know what the patient's co-morbidities are, you know what the patient needs to do on his or her end and what treatments are available. If they're pressing for more specifics than that, it's reasonable in September of intern year not to have all the answers and say we'll talk to you about that with Dr. (senior resident). But you should be able to have a conversation/discuss risks/options with the patients. And if not, you should schedule some time every day to read up on these illnesses.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

It's hard for us to know what your program's thoughts or intentions are. If they are a program with some board failures, they have to watch out for their accreditation. If you did poorly on your ITE, that maybe threw up some red flags with the program and brought into doubt your ability to pass the FM board exam eventually.

Not to pile on more stress, but if you rock Level 3 and do well clinically now, it may reassure them that you are a candidate that might not have as much trouble with the board exam. That could take the heat off.

Again, that is all just a thought. We can't know exactly all that is going on up front or behind the scenes there.

Others have advise about how to approach it from medical condition information.

I just want to add that it’s possible they want more empathy/reassurance/etc?

like give them the info but also say “we will work through it together”, or “i don’t want to give you false hope, but we can be hopeful together”, or anything else that is natural to you and makes sense in the situation.

By the time one graduates from medical school, one should be entrusbable to act with indirect supervision. You're not expected to know everything, just the basics in management of the most common things you'll see on the wards and in the clinics. You seem to be writing in (mostly) complete sentences in English, so I don't expect your rapport problems to be due to a language barrier.