private practice, matching issues, midlevels, and more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can Antibiotics Cause Infections?!

A hospital in Glasgow thought so. Faced with having to close down its neuro surgical intensive care unit due to severe cross infections, the hospital elected to discontinue both preventive and therapeutic antibiotic therapy!...

You are quoting a Naturopathic Dog breeding website as evidence and expect to be taken seriously? ( http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/l_can_antibiotics_cause.html ).DId you also read the other fine articles like "Rabies - The Big Scam" and "The Science of Vaccine Damage."

thank God i found out how to work it up in Uptodate. medscape disappointed me on that one...i dont think an np would have the gall to look things up in uptodate. i dont think they'd even understand what they're reading. i bet they would just say o well. they are not as good as an IM person.

Yes, an NP can do that. Believe it or not, NPs are often highly intelligent and actually want to do what is best for their patients. They too can read a synthesis. Believe it or not, many can even read a real live paper published in a scientific journal.

At this point, I have to call troll...or personality disorder.

PS: this convo makes me feel like im lecturing my case at a surgical M&M!!!! LOL

Well, if you hold yourself out as being the epitome of awesome, you have to probably actually be the epitome of awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
is quest diagnostics not a good lab? i've been leaving messages on this lady's voicemail and she never calls me back.it is just horrible. i thought they were better than that. she said she'd fax me and set up an account and send me supplies and nothing ever happened.

anyone know any other well known lab to use with excellent service? who also caters to practice fusion?

Here are the labs listed that I have to choose from: http://www.practicefusion.com/pages/laboratory_integration.html

Thanks!

Can Antibiotics Cause Infections?!

A hospital in Glasgow thought so. Faced with having to close down its neuro surgical intensive care unit due to severe cross infections, the hospital elected to discontinue both preventive and therapeutic antibiotic therapy![.../QUOTE]

You are quoting a Naturopathic Dog breeding website as evidence and expect to be taken seriously? ( http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/l_can_antibiotics_cause.html ).DId you also read the other fine articles like "Rabies - The Big Scam" and "The Science of Vaccine Damage."

Yes, an NP can do that. Believe it or not, NPs are often highly intelligent and actually want to do what is best for their patients. They too can read a synthesis. Believe it or not, many can even read a real live paper published in a scientific journal.

At this point, I have to call troll...or personality disorder.

Well, if you hold yourself out as being the epitome of awesome, you have probably actually be the epitome of awesome.

You're not going to find actual clinical data of antibiotics that cause sinus because there is no scientific data supporting this, meaning it has never been studied before. so maybe it is something new or even old and undiscovered. nobody knows.

You never know in the future NP's and PA's are going to go on strike to get paid like physicians, write Rx like physicians, and even become physicians if you let them. its not going to stay cheap. just watch.

it just saddens me there is no where for an MD to go but down, while with every other profession it is an upward climb.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well in your residency program and actually finish, the physician has plenty of room to go up. If you have problems and don't finish not one but two residency programs (or more) the of course you have no room to go up. You never finished your training, regardless of whether you get an unrestricted license or not.

One of these days, Karma will bite some of u in ur heinekins, with ur sharp tongues, bitter hearts, n ugly remarks. Mark my words. Wish i could b there to see it. God b watchin everything. Or u prob dont believe in one the way most of u act. How unprofessional at that.

i am meeting so many people in my shoes that didn't finish residency that its not funny. most of them ask me for help and i try to help as much as i can.like the blind leading the blind. i think it is a sad thing that needs to be remedied.

There is a reason the residency is there and the same reason explains why a lot of people are dismissed. Outside of some malignant programs, it usually means the person didn't have the skills to practice as a physician or was too unstable. It ensures all physicians have a similar skillset and are competent.

You're not going to find actual clinical data of antibiotics that cause sinus because there is no scientific data supporting this, meaning it has never been studied before. so maybe it is something new or even old and undiscovered. nobody knows.

or maybe it is a ridiculous concept.

So you diagnosed erythema nodosum. Did you diagnose the cause of it? Erythema nodosum is a symptom, not a disease, and the differential for it is at least 20 diseases long, if not more.

Actually not sure why I'm entertaining this anymore. docu's either revealed himself as a troll, or someone who's incapable of learning properly.

Last edited:
Ulcerative colitis which she's had for 6 years. I don't see y no doc has been able to figure it out.

Render u r much more of a troll going off topic and focusing on me.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
So it was an insult? Lying is a sin and so is cursing :p so ur only hurting urself, not me.

Are they from Hades? SDN is nothing but condescending.

Ulcerative colitis which she's had for 6 years. I don't see y no doc has been able to figure it out.

So basically you found EN in a lady with a previous diagnosis of UC... how was that helpful?
That's like finding osler nodes in a person with a known history of endocardsitis.

Also, I hope it wasn't you who made the diagnosis of UC based on the EN since you can't scope... that would be concerning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turq-- Its good to have you back! If I were to give you some advice it would be to stop while you're. . . less behind. But I do love the entertainment factor, so carry on. Tell us more about your patients!!

So basically you found EN in a lady with a previous diagnosis of UC... how was that helpful?
That's like finding osler nodes in a person with a known history of endocardsitis.

Also, I hope it wasn't you who made the diagnosis of UC based on the EN since you can't scope... that would be concerning.

well she was told it was bruising by docs. it seemed scary like she had some kind of coag or platlet problem. it looked just like EN though which made more sense. it is good to have a diagnosis for something that appears concerning. of course it is self limited so u can't really do anything but at least she knew it was nothing serious and stopped worrying about it. i didn't dx the UC, im not a gut doc...she had it dx 5-6 years prior, but it was no where on the diagnosis list in the chart in the clinic. i had to use the EN to figure out where it was coming from lol. so i named off some diseases with EN and UC was the one.

i've never seen EN before in real life..just in pics. twas interesting. i luv my job lol.

Turq-- Its good to have you back! If I were to give you some advice it would be to stop while you're. . . less behind. But I do love the entertainment factor, so carry on. Tell us more about your patients!!

hey janitor from scrubs! sure! adventures in general practice on channel sdn..where the answer is always wrong....but it is fun nonetheless.

Docu = turquoiseblue

i can't log in as Turquoiseblue for some odd reason. it keeps saying 'server is busy' even though its not. i asked the admin to fix it but no avail.
hence my new name.

i never thought a doctor could want another human being, especially another fellow doctor, to fail in life, but alas, it is sad and true. its like u want to see nothing but to see me fail in life and put me down to make me feel stupider than i really am, and it makes you happy. is that not evil? just think about it for a moment.

i have some happy news for you all, so you can rejoice. i lost my job :( just cuz i didn't know procedures that were so utterly easy they didn't give me a quick chance to learn them. then the MA's told the ceo and he called the recruiting company and said i can't work there. but what gp knows procedures like skin biopsies who has never done FP? i told the recruiter to call the ceo back monday and tell them i know how, cuz i do, they already told me how to do them. gosh darnit.

i dont think i know more than anyone else. i just think that NP's don't know as much as most doctors although they can pretend well. u can't get the same care from both. even patients know the difference between a noctor and a physician and can tell they are getting better care. they're not stupid.

While I agree that NPs are probably venturing into areas beyond their level of training, I don't think the answer is a wholesale increase of residency slots. You address the problem posed (ie better train the NPs or limit their scope) not create a whole new set of problems.

to bring it to attention that the people of sdn needs a major attitude overhaul. what is with the egotistical rudeness every which direction. people like that are definitely going to Hades for sure and probably dont even believe in a God to begin with. they think they can talk to people as if it is okay to belittle others.

While I agree that NPs are probably venturing into areas beyond their level of training, I don't think the answer is a wholesale increase of residency slots. You address the problem posed (ie better train the NPs or limit their scope) not create a whole new set of problems.

the 15,000 slots are proposed over 5 years, so that is only 3,000 slots per year. why would it create a new set of problems? the US needs more doctors. especially rural areas. but what is happening is NPs and PA's are filling that gap. thats like giving a very experienced and knowlegeable MA a PA or NP spot. it used to be NP's and PA's were there to assist docs, now they are becoming the docs. something is wrong with that picture. im no good for doing about 2 years of residency, and considered beneath an NP and PA who can do so much more than me, like work in hospitals at a PCP level, have their own practices, replace PCP's in clinics, etc? I'm not even allowed to continue my education and they can, they can go to school and become an MD in a short time via bridge programs. so much opportunity for them, but for an MD who passed all USMLE steps who doesn't get to do residency, it is a dead end street. they can't do anything and have to do some expensive, difficult-to-afford lesser degree program like ultrasound tech or nurse all over again to be anything at all, which is very depressing knowing you have the knowledge of a medical doctor.

wouldn't it be nice if an MD could just function as a PA or NP at their level. They are no better than an MD. they should give MD's certificate to funciton as a PA or NP and if they are in that job, required by law to call themselves a PA, not an MD, just for the job sake. i think something should be done. there are thousands of jobless MD's out there, and thousands each year of residents that can never be board eligible or board certified because a program kicks them out. can't the government do something about this? i really think something should be done, like maybe remediation programs for those that lost their residency spot so they can continue forward. i dont think it is right to have the attitude 'you already had your chance' and given one chance, sometimes people make mistakes and a mistake is really a lesson that one learns, not really a mistake. that is a negative way to put it. there are a lot of smart people out there, smarter than an NP or PA, that are just sitting at home jobless, unable to find anything else to do, wasting away. i think it is a complete shame.

c'mon, lets all get together and create some cool free to low-cost programs for MD's. how can we go about this? you never know, any of you may benefit, lets say you lost your job, you would have something to fall back on, u can never go wrong that way.

for instance, an ECFMG certified MD can apply to the american registry of medical assistants (ARMA) and they give the MD a medical assistant certification, so they can practice as an MA, well what about going one step further and giving them a PA certification. i mean an MD has more training than a PA, so what is wrong with that? i think that PAs and NPs have a powerful lobby and have made themselves untouchable. they want all money to go toward their classes, but maybe something can be done to thwart them. if just certification isn't enough, maybe at least we can be allowed to take their exam to test out of it. if docs r giving PAs and NPs rights to be at the level of a doc, then PAs and NPs should have the courtesy to let us have rights to do work at their level, if we ever needed to. there should be some system put in place.

docu for US president. i can see it now ;D lol jk. but the rest of what i said im not joking about.

Last edited:
wouldn't it be nice if an MD could just function as a PA or NP at their level. They are no better than an MD. they should give MD's certificate to funciton as a PA or NP and if they are in that job, required by law to call themselves a PA, not an MD, just for the job sake. i think something should be done. there are thousands of jobless MD's out there, and thousands each year of residents that can never be board eligible or board certified because a program kicks them out. can't the government do something about this?

People who are trained from outside of the country come from very variable medical schools. Some come from schools that are better than US schools while others come from programs that shouldn't even be considered medical schools. Because of this, the residency system is used to weed out those who can study and pass an exam but dont have the interpersonal or clinical skills to be a competent doctor. The government is not going to get involved because the system is there to protect US citizens from potentially harmful doctors.

With regard to your accusation that NPs and PAs are uniformly stupid, is off base. While I agree that they are overstepping their bounds in many cases, they are far from as dumb as you paint them.

The Current system is a mess. U can't even use ur credits. u have to start over.ppl with experience r looked over for inexperienced fresh grads which makes no Sense. If u get ill they don't let u continue.they make u start over. It's really unfair like that. They could care less about human circumstances. I know a girl that had an ill parent and left residency to take care of him and could never come back after applying again.
I'm not saying nps r dumb..just that I feel they shouldn't be an equivalent to a physician since they didn't have similar rigorous training. They trained at a much more laid back pace and can even train online.

Last edited:
the 15,000 slots are proposed over 5 years, so that is only 3,000 slots per year. why would it create a new set of problems? the US needs more doctors. especially rural areas. but what is happening is NPs and PA's are filling that gap. thats like giving a very experienced and knowlegeable MA a PA or NP spot. it used to be NP's and PA's were there to assist docs, now they are becoming the docs. something is wrong with that picture. im no good for doing about 2 years of residency, and considered beneath an NP and PA who can do so much more than me, like work in hospitals at a PCP level, have their own practices, replace PCP's in clinics, etc? I'm not even allowed to continue my education and they can, they can go to school and become an MD in a short time via bridge programs. so much opportunity for them, but for an MD who passed all USMLE steps who doesn't get to do residency, it is a dead end street. they can't do anything and have to do some expensive, difficult-to-afford lesser degree program like ultrasound tech or nurse all over again to be anything at all, which is very depressing knowing you have the knowledge of a medical doctor.

wouldn't it be nice if an MD could just function as a PA or NP at their level. They are no better than an MD. they should give MD's certificate to funciton as a PA or NP and if they are in that job, required by law to call themselves a PA, not an MD, just for the job sake. i think something should be done. there are thousands of jobless MD's out there, and thousands each year of residents that can never be board eligible or board certified because a program kicks them out. can't the government do something about this? i really think something should be done, like maybe remediation programs for those that lost their residency spot so they can continue forward. i dont think it is right to have the attitude 'you already had your chance' and given one chance, sometimes people make mistakes and a mistake is really a lesson that one learns, not really a mistake. that is a negative way to put it. there are a lot of smart people out there, smarter than an NP or PA, that are just sitting at home jobless, unable to find anything else to do, wasting away. i think it is a complete shame.

c'mon, lets all get together and create some cool free to low-cost programs for MD's. how can we go about this? you never know, any of you may benefit, lets say you lost your job, you would have something to fall back on, u can never go wrong that way.

for instance, an ECFMG certified MD can apply to the american registry of medical assistants (ARMA) and they give the MD a medical assistant certification, so they can practice as an MA, well what about going one step further and giving them a PA certification. i mean an MD has more training than a PA, so what is wrong with that? i think that PAs and NPs have a powerful lobby and have made themselves untouchable. they want all money to go toward their classes, but maybe something can be done to thwart them. if just certification isn't enough, maybe at least we can be allowed to take their exam to test out of it. if docs r giving PAs and NPs rights to be at the level of a doc, then PAs and NPs should have the courtesy to let us have rights to do work at their level, if we ever needed to. there should be some system put in place.

docu for US president. i can see it now ;D lol jk. but the rest of what i said im not joking about.

You do realize that an MA is not a physician or midlevel provider in any way right? You don't even need a college degree to be an MA. They mostly take vitals, collect lab specimens, and provide administrative support. To equate them to NP/PA or MD makes no sense.

You do realize that an MA is not a physician or midlevel provider in any way right? You don't even need a college degree to be an MA. They mostly take vitals, collect lab specimens, and provide administrative support. To equate them to NP/PA or MD makes no sense.

I know the requirements for an MA. I have hired an MA to run my business. I know MA's are not equivalent to NPs, PA's and MD's. NPs get thier education online sometimes. how can that be equivalent to an MD even without residency, but in many cases they are, especially in a rural area. Its funny how u can get an MA certification by having an ECFMG certificate. glad but i find it odd that an MD cant get a certification to be a PA instead. just a measly MA. You also see MA's running the entire show, they were all MA's, no nurses at this rural hospital clinic i was working at. it cuts down costs.

i have some happy news for you all, so you can rejoice. i lost my job :( just cuz i didn't know procedures that were so utterly easy they didn't give me a quick chance to learn them. then the MA's told the ceo and he called the recruiting company and said i can't work there. but what gp knows procedures like skin biopsies who has never done FP? i told the recruiter to call the ceo back monday and tell them i know how, cuz i do, they already told me how to do them. gosh darnit.

WTF?! did you do a skin biopsy on someone and do it wrong or something?

The Current system is a mess. U can't even use ur credits. u have to start over.ppl with experience r looked over for inexperienced fresh grads which makes no Sense. If u get ill they don't let u continue.they make u start over. It's really unfair like that. They could care less about human circumstances. I know a girl that had an ill parent and left residency to take care of him and could never come back after applying again.
I'm not saying nps r dumb..just that I feel they shouldn't be an equivalent to a physician since they didn't have similar rigorous training. They trained at a much more laid back pace and can even train online.

I'm not sure what the argument is docu: you are a US IMG and not only did you get one residency spot, you also got a second one. If you lose or quit your residency that has nothing to do with where you trained. The fact that you can't get another residency also has nothing to do with where you trained. What were the circumstances regarding your residency departures? If they were bad, it wouldn't matter if you were an AMG, FMG, or USIMG. The fact that you can't hold a locums job is concerning also.

Why are your problems always someone else's fault? Why don't you take responsibility for anything?

omg. most of you SDN people, especially AMGs, which probably constitutes 100% of the rudeness are ridiculous, arrogant, and ignorant and should be ashamed of the way of the condescending way you talk to people. i hope i never meet any of you in real life. get a life! im done.

Last edited:
WTF?! did you do a skin biopsy on someone and do it wrong or something?

no they didn't even give me a chance to try it. and they said they were going to have me do it and that it was really easy, they said they'd show me how, but then it never happened. somehow they must have told the ceo that i didn't know how, and then he called the recruiters to tell me not to come back.

but what do they expect. i've never done FP, i did IM and surgery, which don't do those sorts of things. it even says that on my cv.

I'm in IM, and I do know how to do skin biopsies. Both shave and punch. So I think you should have known how to do those. It isn't a strictly FM skill.

omg. most of you SDN people, especially AMGs, which probably constitutes 100% of the rudeness are ridiculous, arrogant, and ignorant and should be ashamed of the way of the condescending way you talk to people. i hope i never meet any of you in real life. get a life! im done.

By having you take responsibility for your multiple mistakes I am rude, "arrogant, and ignorant"? I must be part of your problem too since nothing is your fault.

And when you do a locums job, you have to sign off on the procedures you are able to do: docu, did you mark that you knew how to do biopsies?..

And you externalize the blame every time...it was nurse's fault or someone else's fault..never your own errors...

you joined a second residency..what happened there?? lemme guess..it was someone else's fault.

Bingo!

p.s. if you don't like it here, go to sermo.

Last edited:
Bunch of rude freaks..ferme la bouche
I Really do hear and can talk to an angel. at least I'm way cooler than all of u put together.

spoken like a true lawyer. but i did find a hospital that might pull some strings for me and let me work there. thank God. at least someone in this world trusts me.

docu, i really do hope things work out for you. Maybe you should study more and spend less time on sdn so you can flourish.
:bang:

Off topic, but one of my former medical assistants used to think I should get tested for Alzheimer's. She's like maybe you should see a neurologist and be on Alzheimer's medications. People are stupid and don't know anything.

:beat:

The Current system is a mess. U can't even use ur credits. u have to start over.ppl with experience r looked over for inexperienced fresh grads which makes no Sense. If u get ill they don't let u continue.they make u start over. It's really unfair like that. They could care less about human circumstances.

Actually, with the current system you can use your credits. However, if your work was unsatisfactory, you cannot. So, it seems your previous work was not satisfactory. That's not unfair. That's exactly what the residency system is inplace to do: to prevent TWKs from practicing in America.

Don't blame your circumstances on "human circumstances."

Bunch of rude freaks..ferme la bouche
I Really do hear and can talk to an angel. at least I'm way cooler than all of u put together.

Seriously, this guy is nuts. Either you are an excellent troll or someone did the country a service by axing you. Someone close this thread

Since when do general surgeons not know how to do skin biopsies? I would think you would have done more than a few in your surgery internship.

they never taught skin biopsies in my programs. so shut heck up and leave me alone.all you guys ever do is persecute IMG's. its no wonder they dont' come on this site much. i would call that highly prejudice.

Last edited:
Every avenue docu tries, he is axed...however, it is very scary he has a state medical license.

at least im not a "know-nothing about clinical medicine" psychiatrist. u sound nuts to me. a picture of an emoticon beating a dead horse? really is that what you do in ur spare time, abuse animals? sad.

Actually, with the current system you can use your credits. However, if your work was unsatisfactory, you cannot. So, it seems your previous work was not satisfactory. That's not unfair. That's exactly what the residency system is inplace to do: to prevent TWKs from practicing in America.

Don't blame your circumstances on "human circumstances."

Seriously, this guy is nuts. Either you are an excellent troll or someone did the country a service by axing you. Someone close this thread

are you brainless? no one accepts credits anymore. i had satisfactory credits but who wants to start in the middle of the year. u sound nuts also. i would like ur account shut down for being so utterly condescending and ignorant, not to mention arrogant. wht would you know about credits if you've never been there done that???

Since when do general surgeons not know how to do skin biopsies? I would think you would have done more than a few in your surgery internship.

are you dumb? im not a frikkin general surgeon. i only did prelim where they dont teach u anything but scut.

i think a lot of you are talking out your anuses, with a breath of fresh rrhea spewing out rapidly rather than your words coming from a true brain. and i think that is in replacement of your heads. ur heads are where your gluteals are. :eek:

at least im not a "know-nothing about clinical medicine" psychiatrist. u sound nuts to me. a picture of an emoticon beating a dead horse? really is that what you do in ur spare time, abuse animals? sad.

:smack:

I completed a year of preliminary Internal medicine, so I guess I know more about clinical medicine than some people....

Last edited:
no they didn't even give me a chance to try it. and they said they were going to have me do it and that it was really easy, they said they'd show me how, but then it never happened. somehow they must have told the ceo that i didn't know how, and then he called the recruiters to tell me not to come back.

but what do they expect. i've never done FP, i did IM and surgery, which don't do those sorts of things. it even says that on my cv.

Ummm. . .most surgical interns can do a skin biopsy.

That being said, I do feel for you Turq, you have a complicated situation and personality(s). I think it frustrates people on here that you feel entitled to residency training when you had ample opportunity, and that now you basically think of residency like community college and you just want to transfer your "credits" to another CC. That's just not how it works, and it will never work like that.

I'm sorry you lost your job. That really sucks and I know it must be frustrating to you. But hearing you describe your patient and the thought process you go through, you're just not functioning at the level you need to be. If you want to blame your training, thats fine, blame whatever you want, but the fact is you are where you are, and I don't know that you will find what you're looking for in medicine.

Have you thought about writing? You would have to lose the "urs" and such, but I'd read a book of your adventures. It would have to be focused on you and patients you have cared for more than your thoughts on residency spots. You start to ramble on that topic.

I still can't decide if you are just trolling with all this. If so, you are a master and I tip my hat.

Last edited:
i think a lot of you are talking out your anuses, with a breath of fresh rrhea spewing out rapidly rather than your words coming from a true brain. and i think that is in replacement of your heads. ur heads are where your gluteals are. :eek:
A course in anger management appears warranted

Ummm. . .most surgical interns can do a skin biopsy.

i beg to differ. cuz they sure didn't teach me that. maybe some programs are inferior to others when it comes to stuff like that. i learned a lot in surgery clinic, like how to refer to surgery and when, and how to take care of surgical wounds or abscesses, how to do debridements, etc but not that kind of stuff. at least not yet. maybe in 2nd or 3rd year when you get to do specialty rotations, possibly in derm but not general floor stuff. in first year i did rotations in ortho, general surg, urology, night float, and vascular, there was no need for skin biopsies in any of my rotations, not even in clinic. if there was ever a procedure to do, they would give it to the PGY2's and the prelim intern had to hand them the materials, it was very scutty there.

also in categorical IM, i never came across a person that needed a skin biopsy and i was only there for 6 months, so if it ever happened, i never got the memo.

i always thought it was in family that you learn that stuff anyways, but maybe each program is different, so don't fault me for not knowing. blame my programs.

Last edited: