Pre-Vet Creative Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I need to tweak the design a little bit and I'm going to have one for large animal too, but I'm offering wood burning portraits :)

IMG_20191014_221500.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I ever posted a photo of the baby blanket I crocheted for my best friend's baby. It only took a year longer than I intended...I gave it to her on his first birthday.
IMG_1862.jpeg

Also, with all my newfound freetime in my post-residency life I decided I needed another hobby. I got burned out on the crochet after the two big blankets. My dad did leatherworking when I was a kid but hadn't done any for over 20 years. I asked him if I could have his old tools since they were just boxed up in the attic. He said yes, and I just finished my first project, a wallet. It's got a ton of flaws or things I could have done differently, but I've learned a lot and even though it's far from perfect I'm happy with how it turned out and impressed I made this by hand. Moving on to one with a different design for my sister now, and then I think Winston needs a new collar.
IMG_2394.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I'm surprised I didn't post pictures of the plaques as well, after that first one I made many moons ago. I've settled on these round ones, they vary between 8-13" in diameter, and of course every one's a bit different based on how the staining turns out and the wood grain.

I make 3 designs, but I can really do anything. They'll come ready to hang:
  • Vet Med key holder with your school logo and name on it
  • Family name with slots for leashes and keys
  • Leash holder with silhouette of your doggo
I have both matte gold vinyl (as pictured) and glossy gold vinyl.

Better order soon if you want one for the holidays! ;)

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_20170809_115805.jpg

IMG_20170822_203014.jpg

I had to go back and fix this one that's a display sample at the school store, but here's an example of the glossy gold vinyl and the cool knot patterns that show up in some of these:

IMG_20191126_220825.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Made this grooming tote! I do all the woodworking/staining then create a stencil on a program and paint it on. Hoping
grooming tote.jpg
to open a little etsy store in the future.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
E849B433-31C4-4B1F-BCFA-35A518FA8074.jpeg

Just found this thread in the forum ☺️ I’ve been creating with polymer clay since I was young. When I was a teen my first business was making personalized Christmas ornaments. For the last 8 years I’ve been creating figurines of people’s pets (dogs,
Cats, horses, cows..)
I’m 35 yrs old now, and back to college getting my science. I enjoyed getting my bachelors in commerce, but not following my true passion has left me with regrets all these years. Luckily having my little at home business allows me to work around my school schedule and still pay the bills!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 291559
Just found this thread in the forum I’ve been creating with polymer clay since I was young. When I was a teen my first business was making personalized Christmas ornaments. For the last 8 years I’ve been creating figurines of people’s pets (dogs,
Cats, horses, cows..)
I’m 35 yrs old now, and back to college getting my science. I enjoyed getting my bachelors in commerce, but not following my true passion has left me with regrets all these years. Luckily having my little at home business allows me to work around my school schedule and still pay the bills!

1. Nice name! ;)

2. I love creating polymer clay crafts as well! I mainly make earrings and cell phone charms. Your figurines are cute!!! How long does it take you to make them?

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 291559
Just found this thread in the forum I’ve been creating with polymer clay since I was young. When I was a teen my first business was making personalized Christmas ornaments. For the last 8 years I’ve been creating figurines of people’s pets (dogs,
Cats, horses, cows..)

AHA! Mystery solved!

Sign your SS gifts with your real name *and* your username for clueless people like myself, please. :laugh:

Thank you for the ornaments. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Here's most of the things I made for christmas. A koozie for my brother in law, a card wallet for my best friend, a card wallet for SDN secret santa, a purse I made for myself, and my second attempt at an apple watch band for myself. I also made my sister a wallet but apparently in my rush to get it done by Christmas I didn't take a photo of it. I'm learning a lot, and it's nice to flex my creative muscles a bit after years of vet school/internship/residency stress. (Sorry for the snapchatters who have already had to see these several times, lol.)

1578102728820.jpeg
1578102728890.jpeg
1578102831450.jpeg
IMG_7774.jpg
IMG_9818.jpg
1578102831503.jpeg

Edit: I forgot about Winston's collar! I also did this. It's out of the same leather as my purse, so we can be twinsies.
IMG_1476.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hehe! Totally forgot to add my user name.
With exams and being sick I didn’t have time, but really intended to get photos of your pups and kitties to get some even more personalized items made for you. But I’m glad you loved the ornaments ❤️
AHA! Mystery solved!

Sign your SS gifts with your real name *and* your username for clueless people like myself, please. :laugh:

Thank you for the ornaments. :)

Just finished this one yesterday! Handmade for less than 22 bucks of wood material and then finished off with salad bowls from amazing and a stencil of my pups name!

sorry for the poopy lighting lol.
3CDC4BDE-696B-48D8-B1AB-5BB2F1DE0119.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
D207D8D1-1C80-4880-A634-3D32A49B6C99.jpeg

Made this to put above my desk and help motivate me through this last semester. So stoked to start getting better at wood working and sign making.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Overnight bag that I finished today!
2 slip pockets outside, 4 slip pockets inside, and the bottom compartment is big enough for a pair of shoes.
IMG_2855.jpg
IMG_2856.jpg
IMG_2857.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Overnight bag that I finished today!
2 slip pockets outside, 4 slip pockets inside, and the bottom compartment is big enough for a pair of shoes.
This is awesome! Did you follow a pattern or did you design it yourself?

This is awesome! Did you follow a pattern or did you design it yourself?
First time making a train case bottom, so I followed this pattern: Townsend Instant Download

I did modify a couple of other things on the pattern though (like I hate hand-sewing bias tape binding, so I changed the interior finish). I like using a pattern the first time I learn a new trick, and then I can incorporate it into my future projects.

Reactions: 2 users
Side adventure in jewelry making (ring and bracelet)

Attachments

• 0D37AC49-2E6F-4462-966F-06777ACC34BB.jpeg
    0D37AC49-2E6F-4462-966F-06777ACC34BB.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 74
Picked up a new hobby which is oddly very relaxing. Made a house warming gift for a friend lol.
CFF410A6-568D-458A-BE26-49D8869AD0C4.png

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Sooooo

how is everybody doing

Should I use this time to re-learn how to knit? Or try something new?

Does anyone do embroidery? I was thinking that would be a good skill for making my pullovers/fleeces look fancy in future years. But the last time I did any embroidery was cross-stitch as a kid on colonial-themed field trips around new england (and I think I had the Felicity kit from American Girl dolls?) so I don't know if it's actually a lot harder than it looks

Sooooo

how is everybody doing

Does anyone do embroidery? I was thinking that would be a good skill for making my pullovers/fleeces look fancy in future years. But the last time I did any embroidery was cross-stitch as a kid on colonial-themed field trips around new england (and I think I had the Felicity kit from American Girl dolls?) so I don't know if it's actually a lot harder than it looks
I'm personally gonna get back into puzzles and probably do some string art. I'm miserable at yarn crafts (in part because my cat would also like to learn). I think we have some leftover painting supplies in the house too.

Depending on how long this goes on I may also break out my true angsty artist and pick up poetry again

Sooooo

how is everybody doing

My sister does embroidery! I feel like it can’t be too difficult?

Sooo much knitting. I have begun a blanket.
Got a scarf and a belt in the works.
Got a small quilt practice (first attempt) thank I think will be a quilted bag for like knitting needles
Beginning of a seed bead loom bracelet

Sooo much knitting. I have begun a blanket.
Got a scarf and a belt in the works.
Got a small quilt practice (first attempt) thank I think will be a quilted bag for like knitting needles
Beginning of a seed bead loom bracelet
Belt is doomed. But other projects will chug along

I'm thinking of picking up working on my rainbow quilt again. Or some paper crafting commissions

PSA: Etsy is already full of examples of really cute animal-themed face masks

I have a cat patterned dishcloth here -- anyone want to take bets on whether I can successfully manage a mask using the leftover practice suture materials in my house? :laugh: Good opportunity to practice some continuous & mattress patterns?

• Haha
Finished my first quilt top today...it still needs a border but I think it came out alright. The plan is to make the same thing but backed in white and have them assembled so it’s reversible.
689288EC-28B2-4C24-965D-11C606FC22B9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
IMG_3314.jpg

Finally finished my husband's Christmas present - a laptop bag in wool + faux leather. Now I just need to finish the travel duffle to go along with it!

• Love
Pinterest. And lots of practice. The first bag I made for myself was to carry my computer for vet school, and it served its purpose for all four years but it was an ugly, floppy mess.
Do you use patterns at all? I’d love to figure out how to make a laptop bag for myself

Do you use patterns at all? I’d love to figure out how to make a laptop bag for myself
This is a free pattern for a messenger bag: Messenger Bag Pattern - Sewing Tutorial - AppleGreen Cottage
It's good for beginners because it doesn't use any hardware or zippers - just slip pockets. I've made this pattern and it's a larger bag, but a really good way to start.

If you want something a little more complicated, this is my favorite pattern designer: Starling Messenger Bag
Her instructions are clearly written and easy to follow, with a lot of pictures too. I've never made this particular pattern, but I have made several of her other bags that turned out really well. You could probably simplify this pattern by either buying a pre-made strap or by sewing instead of using rivets for the strap.

• Love
I've been told I should bump this thread back up since I went on a craft buying binge yesterday and somehow ended up with 5 new cross stitch patterns to go with the 1 that I still haven't finished. And then the store called me to make sure it wasn't identity theft. I don't want to talk about it. It's not a problem if I don't admit it's a problem, right?

Currently frantically working on a baby blanket for a baby that's due in May. Most recently finished this panel (5/6):
1616531579138.png

• Love