Pre-Vet Creative Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I write poetry and I'm trying to draft a novel, but dang it, it's hard. Want to trade skill sets for a little while? :p
Ooo I wanna be a beta reader!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I write poetry and I'm trying to draft a novel, but dang it, it's hard. Want to trade skill sets for a little while? :p
It really is! I can't even count how many half-started projects I have. And even with 4-5 novels under my belt, my current project (which...is due to my editor today...) is dragging me towards the end kicking and screaming.

People think writing is easy, but it's so not. :D

If you ever want any help/cheerleading, let me know! I write super-niche, but I have a lot of friends who write more mainstream.

Reactions: 2 users
It really is! I can't even count how many half-started projects I have. And even with 4-5 novels under my belt, my current project (which...is due to my editor today...) is dragging me towards the end kicking and screaming.

People think writing is easy, but it's so not. :D

If you ever want any help/cheerleading, let me know! I write super-niche, but I have a lot of friends who write more mainstream.
I did NaNoWriMo last year and somehow actually finished it but I haven't looked at my draft since :oops:
I've written several short stories but it was my first experience with a novel and I'm pretty sure when I read it again I'm going to want to light it on fire :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did NaNoWriMo last year and somehow actually finished it but I haven't looked at my draft since :oops:
I've written several short stories but it was my first experience with a novel and I'm pretty sure when I read it again I'm going to want to light it on fire :laugh:
To be fair, even after I've drafted, edited, sent it to my editor, edited it again, had my beta check it, and published it...

I still want to light it on fire. :laugh::laugh: I can't re-read my own stuff for that reason.

Ooo I wanna be a beta reader!
If it ever becomes something readable I'll take you up on that. ;)

The problem right now is world building. If I change this aspect of this character to make more sense with this part of the storyworld, that causes problems with this other aspect, but I can't just remove it entirely because then it causes still more problems. Basically my story has a huge identity crisis and I need to be it's psychologist and help it through.

Plots are hard. :p

If it ever becomes something readable I'll take you up on that. ;)

The problem right now is world building. If I change this aspect of this character to make more sense with this part of the storyworld, that causes problems with this other aspect, but I can't just remove it entirely because then it causes still more problems. Basically my story has a huge identity crisis and I need to be it's psychologist and help it through.

Plots are hard. :p
My suggestion is to just power through to get a draft done, and then fix that stuff in rewrites!
Unless you're more of planner, in which case don't listen to me at all, because I don't plan things.

My suggestion is to just power through to get a draft done, and then fix that stuff in rewrites!
Unless you're more of planner, in which case don't listen to me at all, because I don't plan things.
Even if you are a planner, you can't edit things that aren't written.

At the same time, I have a friend who can't write unless the previous bits are right. So sometimes it takes her longer to do things.

I would recommend getting a draft done especially since you are struggling with world /plot issues. It may be that as you keep writing you come up with a solution or something happens that makes your decision for you.

At the same time, I have a friend who can't write unless the previous bits are right. So sometimes it takes her longer to do things.
This was one of the things that NaNoWriMo really helped with, because I used to be inclined to go over the parts I had already written a billion times before moving on. Can't do that when you have to write the whole thing in a month!

This was one of the things that NaNoWriMo really helped with, because I used to be inclined to go over the parts I had already written a billion times before moving on. Can't do that when you have to write the whole thing in a month!
It's a good skill to learn! The first project I ever finished was written in a month. Required like, seven rounds of edits, but that was my fault, not the novel's. XD

Now that my school's Open House is done, I can post my and my friend's eye fundus models here!

View attachment 217333 View attachment 217334 View attachment 217335 View attachment 217336 View attachment 217337

Can anyone guess the species? Last one is human (since I'm not sure there's good identifying features).
In the attachment I can't see the order anymore, but I think I recognize a horse and a cat and a cow in there. Was there another small ruminant too? And I assume at least one is a bird, but no clue...

In the attachment I can't see the order anymore, but I think I recognize a horse and a cat and a cow in there. Was there another small ruminant too? And I assume at least one is a bird, but no clue...
Dog is the one that's half-blue (tapetum). Bird has the black squiggle (pecten). Rabbit has the yellow optic band going all the way across instead of a single optic disc. Last fundic one is human, and then the forward one is reptile.

Honestly, the dog one probably works for cattle as well - I think I remember cattle having prominent retinal vessels.

Dog is the one that's half-blue (tapetum). Bird has the black squiggle (pecten). Rabbit has the yellow optic band going all the way across instead of a single optic disc. Last fundic one is human, and then the forward one is reptile.

Honestly, the dog one probably works for cattle as well - I think I remember cattle having prominent retinal vessels.
That kinda works with my thoughts, but mostly I was just wrong. :) I was thinking the rabbit was probably a goat and the dog was a cow and the bird might be a horse... yup, mostly just wrong.

Does being funny and gross count as creativity? :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 0 ragrets for the necrolikes I just gave. (Though I tried not to give too many and bombard people with notifications)

You all are talented and I wish I was more creative.

Hey everyone, I'm back to having my vinyl plotter set up so I can cut vinyl decals of any shape, size (within reason), and color you want. Here's some examples of stuff I've cut, but I know at least at my school, the car decals they offer are extremely ugly, so I made my own.

If any one you want something for your car/truck/wall, let me know what you want.

2017-04-26.jpg
2017-05-08.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, I'm back to having my vinyl plotter set up so I can cut vinyl decals of any shape, size (within reason), and color you want. Here's some examples of stuff I've cut, but I know at least at my school, the car decals they offer are extremely ugly, so I made my own.

If any one you want something for your car/truck/wall, let me know what you want.

View attachment 219260 View attachment 219262
Oh, I'd like a caduceus in a color that would go with my powder blue beetle. Maybe pink?

Hmm... not really sure? Not too big because it's a beetle. Maybe an inch shorter than the one in you pic?

P.S. Glad to see you back and hope you are doing well! :)

There's this thing called a tape measure. Hold it up to your window and then report back :rolleyes:

W2VM!!!!

Welcome back! I hope you are well!

I would love a decal version of the design the recent ART MSPro class made for jackets. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the design.

Ooo! Can I get one for me that says CSU Vet Med and one for my mom that is a CSU Vet Med mom? How do I pay you for them??

2017-05-22 00.52.46.png 2017-05-22 00.51.49.png Now that I look at it again, is this something you could even do? The lines are thin and it doesn't make sense without the detail.

View attachment 219299 View attachment 219300 Now that I look at it again, is this something you could even do? The lines are thin and it doesn't make sense without the detail.

If you can get the .ai or .eps vector file that would be helpful. Otherwise, I really don't want to spend hours recreating the logo. The smaller details would be lost depending on how small you would want the decal.

Ooo! Can I get one for me that says CSU Vet Med and one for my mom that is a CSU Vet Med mom? How do I pay you for them??

Someone brought up a good point that I'm treading on copyright infringement using school logos. That is correct, so I can do anything that doesn't include copyrighted material. The copyright police can come get me for printing them for personal use if they want, but shipping them to you guys might not be the best idea.

Anything else vet med related (caduceus, etc) is good to go.

@wheelin2vetmed
I might have to bother you for something someday this summer. C:

In the meantime, I've been doing these the last couple days:
All four of them can be viewed in full size here: Sta.sh Uploads 519
wiley_transparent_by_waytogozippo-dba2zz2.png
eli_transparent_by_waytogozippo-dba301p.png
finley_transparent_by_waytogozippo-dba300w.png
b_transparent_by_waytogozippo-dba3007.png

Gotta figure out why only some of them are transparent, even though all of them are transparent files... I guess that's my task for the next unspecified period of time...

Thinking about opening commissions somewhere online for these things sometime this summer, but I'm not sure yet. I'd love to have thoughts on them!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
@wheelin2vetmed

Gotta figure out why only some of them are transparent, even though all of them are transparent files... I guess that's my task for the next unspecified period of time...

Thinking about opening commissions somewhere online for these things sometime this summer, but I'm not sure yet. I'd love to have thoughts on them!
Omg I want ones of my cats

@wheelin2vetmed

Let me know.

Your drawings are awesome. What tablet you use? You should do custom ones for people and transfer them to wood to hang: Image Transfer to Wood: 10 Steps (with Pictures) .

Here are some of the hats I've knit in the past year as thank you's for the vets that let me shadow with them:

17493945_389190971468060_7137480294348619776_n_small2.jpg
17333355_275465982894643_8673102227050594304_n_small2.jpg
IMG_8177_small2.JPG
17125599_107764873091427_8224422249361309696_n_small2.jpg
12568084_1685323411710540_1856008344_n_small2.jpg
14033404_829975130435698_1419084427_n_small2.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Here are some of the hats I've knit in the past year as thank you's for the vets that let me shadow with them:

17493945_389190971468060_7137480294348619776_n_small2.jpg
17333355_275465982894643_8673102227050594304_n_small2.jpg
IMG_8177_small2.JPG
17125599_107764873091427_8224422249361309696_n_small2.jpg
12568084_1685323411710540_1856008344_n_small2.jpg
14033404_829975130435698_1419084427_n_small2.jpg
I need to learn how to do this. I have like the bare bones basics of crochet down from when I was 10... but never progressed.

If you can get the .ai or .eps vector file that would be helpful. Otherwise, I really don't want to spend hours recreating the logo. The smaller details would be lost depending on how small you would want the decal.
Meh, no worries. It looks like it would be too detailed unless I want it giant to be seen and understood anyway. I didn't think about it until I posted it.

Made this on behalf of the Class of 2020 for one of our professors that retired this year; sweetest lady. Note to self: don't use Sharpie on soft wood to sign stuff. Looks like a heart with R and L failure.

IMG_20170531_141149.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

I love how it's fake head, fake head, fake, head . . . BAM! REAL HEAD!

@wheelin2vetmed

All four of them can be viewed in full size here:

So awesome! I love the dogs. :love:

So awesome! I love the dogs. :love:
Thank you! :) They're both mine.
Reminded me that sporty's portrait of the wolves in the Vet Clinic game is still one of my favorite things ever :love:
You're one of my favorite things ever!

This is totally not a super delayed response or anything, and I totally did not log in to 15 notifications....

Reactions: 3 users
Oops, missed these!!

Let me know.

Your drawings are awesome. What tablet you use? You should do custom ones for people and transfer them to wood to hang: Image Transfer to Wood: 10 Steps (with Pictures) .
Those are actually marker pieces! No tablet at all. :) I just scan them in and remove the white background. But hey, that's cool! I'm definitely still planning on doing custom ones, just don't know what to ask, price-wise, really.

Omg I want ones of my cats
Well maybe if you put some pictures in my inbox of one of them...

So up until now, I've been a little embarrassed to post my art publicly outside of things like Snapchat and Facebook, but I figured I might as well go for it.

I draw both traditionally and digitally, but I much prefer digital. I use a ThinkPad Yoga 260 with active digitizer and ThinkPad Pen Pro (the default one that comes with the machine is a tiny stick of a thing that makes my hand cramp up like crazy). Previously, I used the ThinkPad X220T and, briefly, an iMac with a dedicated Wacom tablet... using a digitizer is much easier, needless to say, haha.

Unfortunately, my digitizer has been broken for quite a while and I only just was able to get Lenovo to fix it a couple of weeks ago and the whole vet school schedule isn't really conducive to doing much outside of school and studying, so all I have to show for digital art is this preliminary sketch that I started earlier this morning:

View attachment 220358

So I have a lot more recent traditional pencil-and-paper drawing right now than anything else. Sorry in advance for the largeness of the images.

View attachment 220357

View attachment 220359
(yeah, pretty obviously never finished this one lol)

View attachment 220360

View attachment 220363
Wow! Those are incredible!

Ditto.... what a talent Sandy!

Thanks, Coop! :)

I didn't have a whole lot going on today, so I went ahead and finished that sketch I started this morning. There's a few things that are off that bug me, but I am fairly pleased with it.

View attachment 220379

You would make an awesome children's book illustrator! I would read a book about that dragon...

Up until now, I've been a little embarrassed to post my art publicly outside of things like Snapchat and Facebook, but I figured I might as well go for it.

I draw both traditionally and digitally, but I much prefer digital. I use a ThinkPad Yoga 260 with active digitizer and ThinkPad Pen Pro---the default pen that comes with the machine is a tiny stick of a thing that makes my hand cramp up like crazy. Previously, I used the ThinkPad X220T and, briefly, an iMac with a dedicated Wacom tablet... using a digitizer is much easier, needless to say, haha.

Unfortunately, my digitizer has been broken for quite a while and I only just was able to get Lenovo to fix it a couple of weeks ago and the whole vet school schedule isn't really conducive to doing much outside of school and studying, so all I have to show on the digital side right now (I lost most of my older stuff) is this preliminary sketch that I started this morning:

View attachment 220358

For those who've never used or seen what drawing with an active digitizer is like, here is an image I took earlier:

So I have a lot more recent traditional pencil-and-paper drawing right now than anything else. Sorry in advance for the largeness of the images.

View attachment 220357

View attachment 220359
(yeah, pretty obviously never finished this one lol)

View attachment 220360

View attachment 220363

I love these, especially the blue jays. So do you looks at pics and draw them or is it just what you are thinking of?

Oh, and, yes, the ThinkPad Yogas are amazing! You had the X230T, right, Trilt? It's a very similar experience to that!
I did! It has been broken for a couple years though. I still have a really simple external wacom tablet around somewhere that I whip out on occasion when the mood hits but it's not quite the same as drawing on a screen.

Thanks! I usually use at least 1 reference photo, but not always (I did not use any for the dragon that I just posted). For the blue jay one, I believe I used at least 3 or 4 references, all from different angles, just to make sure that I got the proportions/anatomy correct.
Well you're obviously doing a good job. Let me know if you ever need any bird pics for reference. I have a stupid amount of (some kinds of) bird pics :)