Pre-Vet Creative Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'm jealous. All I have is a cheapo 7-year-old external wacom bamboo tablet that I don't whip out often lately :p It definitely took some getting used to when I first started with it.

Members don't see this ad.

I knit another hat!

yTQCecHKvNQ-Vn37dZmohs_J8TvQsZ4TNKWvOHwzCWnJtXjavq5wR5m22Ad7I0yuVF_fgxEWOJDGYewYHlvXVl6NCC_s8cZntWU5Vnv2sOJxZQ-iprFaCteSxCrT9IYtKJrXggAjb_gKMh4QR7v_gbqOpKvPagnyDtLvv-sVnU5j8LVpQxkcjC1hKVoOy8Sk0_ZmRUhqNOI_winCU78wFlggEZ4Vmy42HEquC4Dr8zGPCw5Hx0rMN6nQDuvKYD3sBgCnhZLXTXrXvOCeRuhKsKNoXLBsGAT4o_UCuKIIasxvJWgr1gLh3-Sb0VS8wd6Rwz8Ao0ONxt0vCzzOm6F6kM4B2ciyYSbiE29vVoGTkcKX7AK4VqNN6NGjjWYMnUgoLIwIUiO9lqc72u3WgyORU0gJXoFvTaZF4lgz8CwR68VMXszEY7s8e08EOvNKtuQatG46myY0GTaprTT_bmKq38uYpNmES1Lzj31s2jK2GmC7fMi0ONVB733mnWAYLt_fRX0Q2fTHEV1gRWZa-yPbqy7gxrUi6sSCoAg-gCxebynAfhmjex5MO1oau81Z3cT1-5dGTD0-0Bq9NKCqyQ7UlFkst-lsXSLiHhRAJhYOmfnPkZb1=w549-h732-no

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, so I started knitting a baby blanket when my sister got pregnant. Gave myself plenty of time, had a good start going, and then stopped and got distracted with a different project. Fast forward and my sister's daughter is now 2 years old and she's pregnant with her second and I still haven't finished the first blanket. I will probably never finish it. Maybe for my niece's kid someday...

Reactions: 3 users
Oh man, so I started knitting a baby blanket when my sister got pregnant. Gave myself plenty of time, had a good start going, and then stopped and got distracted with a different project. Fast forward and my sister's daughter is now 2 years old and she's pregnant with her second and I still haven't finished the first blanket. I will probably never finish it. Maybe for my niece's kid someday...
I've made a blanket for my sister's first 3 kids. #4 is due at the end of May... hope that kid is patient, because that blanket isn't even getting started in the next year!

Reactions: 1 users
I saw this thread pop up/ w2vm’s avatar pop up and I got really excited, but alas.

That blanket is gorgeous though! I love it!!!

Reactions: 2 users
State Fair project #1 done!

It's based off of Heidi Bear's African Flower Dragon pattern on Ravelry, if anyone else wants to try it.
2cac2a891aca3834fad99b388b38be8d.jpg

4fdc965c58a6bd8d9afd871db5ea8c0e.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
That's cute! I've been working on an amigurumi cow amd a blanket for my vet school bestie for months now and both projects have stalled. I have been lacking motivation.

ImageUploadedBySDN1532740307.334970.jpg

These kinda suck, but I decided to treat myself last Saturday afternoon and paint in between study sessions for my physics final.

This thread makes me really happy because for some reason I figured I would be a black sheep in vet school since I'm all artsy and shtuff

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 238000

These kinda suck, but I decided to treat myself last Saturday afternoon and paint in between study sessions for my physics final.

This thread makes me really happy because for some reason I figured I would be a black sheep in vet school since I'm all artsy and shtuff

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They do NOT suck. Those are great!

Applause to anyone who can successfully knit or crochet. The concept is beyond me, and I've tried to learn several times. Luckily my mom gets it and sends me stuff on the regular.

I am, however, a decent seamstress. This is my most recent scrub hat creation.

sharkcao.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Random topic shift, does anyone here quilt?

Applause to anyone who can successfully knit or crochet. The concept is beyond me, and I've tried to learn several times. Luckily my mom gets it and sends me stuff on the regular.

I am, however, a decent seamstress. This is my most recent scrub hat creation.

sharkcao.jpg
I think @katashark needs one of these!!!!

Yay for this thread. I love creative things. I've been slacking lately in this department. But I've always enjoyed art, mostly painting and drawing.

Here's one I did a couple summers ago when I was working with loons :) Mixed media,... pencil, charcoal, and ink pen.

10299561_10101894073563260_3900692062655493856_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I made coasters that look like cat butts for my gift at a white elephant/dirty santa/yankee swap/whatever-you-call-it-when-you-steal-gifts gift exchange at a Christmas party this weekend. There is also a black one and a white one in addition to the grey and 'orange tabby' ones in the photo. I'm planning to get a cat themed coffee mug to go with them as well. File this under 'things I would only really make for other veterinarians'...
IMG_0623.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I made coasters that look like cat butts for my gift at a white elephant/dirty santa/yankee swap/whatever-you-call-it-when-you-steal-gifts gift exchange at a Christmas party this weekend. There is also a black one and a white one in addition to the grey and 'orange tabby' ones in the photo. I'm planning to get a cat themed coffee mug to go with them as well. File this under 'things I would only really make for other veterinarians'...
View attachment 243609
LOVE

View attachment 243609
Did you have a pattern for these?

View attachment 243609
I would like the pattern of you have one! Though I’m pretty sure I could eyeball it if needed.

I found a free pattern online (I think the blog was called My Yarn Spot and showed up when I googled ‘cat butt coaster pattern’) but I modified it some on the fly. When I followed the pattern as written they seemed too small, so I went around more times plus made the tail and feet longer/wider to match the body size better.

Edit: Didn’t see Skimble’s post until after to include in the quote, but hope this helps you too! I can expand on my modifications if needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Yay! I might whip a few of these up for my work white elephant

But I figured that I'd bump this to post a late Christmas/birthday gift that I drew for my best friend of... almost twenty years? It's of her two childhood Akitas who passed away relatively recently. Combination of traditional + digital, took something like two weeks to completely finish. Background isn't by me because I suck at them, haha.

Will be printed, framed, and sent to her with some other gifts in a care package in the next few days. :)

View attachment 250394
@Elkhart your drawing is beautiful and your friend will love it! Great job! :)

Every time I see this thread, I think of w2vm... :( has anyone heard from him?
I’ve been following along on this message board for years for perspective on the experience of vet school. I too often wonder about w2vm. I’ve been his cheerleader from afar. Hoping to see an update on his life journey!

Hi guys, I'm new here and MASSIVELY impressed by all of your talent!!! :love:

I'm so excited to see so many other STEM majors/Pre-Vets who love the arts and creativity!

I had a quick question, I'm an amatuere fine artist and as I'm getting more busy with undergrad and getting vet experience, I'm having less and less time to do art, and I can feel my emotional and mental health deteriorating as a direct result. How do you guys find/make the time to pursue your crafts and art?

Thanks!

These are a few of the pieces I've completed in the last few years in various mediums including instant coffee, crayons, watercolors (Windsor Newton), colored pencils (Prismacolor), graphite (Prisma Ebony), pen and ink (India Ink), and clay board/carving. :biglove: From my subject matter can you tell I like animals? lol
28436198_195532034545880_111443809941848064_n.jpg
30906028_1900718053334814_7036837841824907264_n.jpg
31124215_232586687496636_9191549236884275200_n.jpg
32276156_2110725885879671_5577514783365660672_n.jpg

Attachments

• 31242979_616935881980956_5568504977065771008_n.jpg
    31242979_616935881980956_5568504977065771008_n.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
These are a few of the pieces I've completed in the last few years in various mediums including instant coffee, crayons, watercolors (Windsor Newton), colored pencils (Prismacolor), graphite (Prisma Ebony), pen and ink (India Ink), and clay board/carving. :biglove: From my subject matter can you tell I like animals? lol
I can practically hear the dog breathing and the three horses moving around in their corrals. Looks beautiful!

Finally finished a blanket for my own baby as well as a mobile for his crib. Pretty happy with how they turned out. (Please disregard the angry baby face)
IMG_20190225_120650012.jpeg
IMG_20190224_223551628.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Finally finished a blanket for my own baby as well as a mobile for his crib. Pretty happy with how they turned out. (Please disregard the angry baby face)
The mobile and blanket are beautiful and look great in his room!

Your super-cute little boy is just exercising his lungs! :D
baby1.gif

Reactions: 4 users
I'm here to bring the creative thread back to lifeeeee

I decided to pull charcoal back out the other day, for the first time in four years. Did this lady <3

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
For some reason I was thinking about a writing project from undergrad. We had to write a story as a group of 6 people. My proposal was selected so I did the outline and was one of 4 writers, then 2 were editors. Anyways, I remember being quite proud of it, and it received near perfect score. If anyone wants to read a short sci-fi story, enjoy

Story

For some reason I was thinking about a writing project from undergrad. We had to write a story as a group of 6 people. My proposal was selected so I did the outline and was one of 4 writers, then 2 were editors. Anyways, I remember being quite proud of it, and it received near perfect score. If anyone wants to read a short sci-fi story, enjoy
I've only read the title so far but I already love it :laugh: