post your preliminary scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramizlol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
VA 382 18
bio 435 92
Rc 395 41
QA 430 91
CHEM 438 93

Composite 416 79

Screw verbal!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is wrong. Clearly you don't understand how it is scored. It is compared to a previous group, so everyone can get a 99 if they did better than the group. Your statement only works if the comparison is isolated to the group that takes the same test with you.

I didn't say this sample was representative. The truth is the average is going to be higher due to the chem and bio scores.

blueheron is correct in this statement. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I took the PCAT on 7/18 for the 1st, and last, time and my prelim scores were:

VA 412 68
Bio 455 99
RC 412 73
QA 426 88
Chem 449 97
Comp 431 95

I studied off and on for about a month leading up to the test. I used Kaplan 2012-2013 for science overview, AP Calc notes to refresh QA, and I bought the Pearson Writing and MC practice exams to get a sense of the type of questions and timing. I'm going into my fourth and final undergrad year, dual majoring in molecular genetics and microbiology. Thinking about taking the GRE sometime this year too. Anyone here taken both? How is it in relation to the PCAT?

VA: 68
Bio: 99
Chem: 98
RC: 45
QA: 55
Comp: 91

I studied for about ~2-3 months, while having a part-time job. Pearson practice tests (including the writing practice), Kaplan and Dr. Collins were what I used to prepare myself for the exam and I made sure to time myself on all of the sections. I primarily focused on chem and bio (less so for bio because I'm a bio major and I already had a good amount of knowledge) for the exam because those are the most important sections. Oddly enough I was doing well on QA when I was taking practice exams, but I had difficulty on the real PCAT. I didn't really bother to study for RC because I was most worried about the science sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that everybody got 90's on the Pcat!

I took the PCAT for the first time last week and my score was not in the 90's. It's only been those that received 80's and 90's posting. There are those that scored a lower composite out there.

Reactions: 1 users
So I wrote the PCAT today... I think I'm happy

VA: 87%
RC: 63%
BIO: 69%
CHEM: 99%
QA: 88%

Comp 92%

Could the low biology be a problem? I scored highest in RC and BIO on practice tests but bio i got hit with a lot of physiology/anatomy and RC i dunno just didn't fully have enough time to grasp the passages I got I guess. Otherwise I'm happy with my comp and overall scores

So I wrote the PCAT today... I think I'm happy

VA: 87%
RC: 63%
BIO: 69%
CHEM: 99%
QA: 88%

Comp 92%

Could the low biology be a problem? I scored highest in RC and BIO on practice tests but bio i got hit with a lot of physiology/anatomy and RC i dunno just didn't fully have enough time to grasp the passages I got I guess. Otherwise I'm happy with my comp and overall scores

That is still a super great score, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. How did you find the QA? Did you struggle for time or was it doable?

QA was okay - it's probably fundamentally my strongest section so I didn't spend a lot of time reviewing for it. I probably should have practiced more time based stuff because towards the end I was scrambling to get an answer for any longer calculation ones - I think of the last 8 or so 3 were quickly deduced educated guesses, the last 2 were completely random clicks and the final question i didn't get an answer down. I was a little disappointed because I feel like even one more question woulda pushed me into the 90th %ile but it is what it is.

Verbal I thought I'd struggle a bit more with, but there were a lot fewer words I didn't recognize than I expected. I'm not an avid reader or word connoisseur by any means but I feel I have a fairly strong grasp of the English language and caught some of the more abstract analogies (rhyming, words spelt backwards) that weren't necessarily to do with complex definitions but of thought and reason which helped my score.

RC was what completely caught me off guard because I've typically been very good at these kinds of questions based on past tests involving these as well as scoring 450+ on my two practice tests. I didn't have enough of a system as to whether I'd read the whole passage, skim, or pick out parts based on questions and the inconsistency hurt me.

Bio I'm disappointed with but I suppose it's my fault for not putting enough time into physiology and anatomy. I knew only really understood the nervous system and circulatory system (even that was spotty knowledge at best) and I only got one question on each. Some trickier genetics problems than I expected but those just took double checking and time more than being difficult. A very particular question about microbiology as well as one on what a type of drug is used to treat - I didn't study the little details in the biology sections rather hoping past classes and an understanding of the major concepts would be enough.

Chem was what I studied probably the most. I spent a lot more time than I needed to on this section because I've taken quite a few chemistry courses so I had the background I just found it easiest to focus on chem so I studied it the most. Went very well - wasn't any particularly challenging aspects - less calculation than I expected which left more time for other questions.

I only used Kaplan's book, and a few Barron's practice problems to study - I tried to use a physiology textbook to learn some of the stuff I had no idea about but I didn't have the patience. A lot of this stuff was pretty fresh in my mind from April exams or concepts that have been built on in university so far so they stuck.

Nevertheless I was satisfied when I got my preliminary composite, it's just one of those things you know could have went a litttttle bit better, but best to just happily move on.

Good luck to everyone :)

My preliminary scores were:

VA: 91%
Bio: 97%
Chem: 88%
RC: 89%
QA: 97%

Comp: 97%

I'm happy with my score but I'm worried about my Chemistry score. Is a 88% good, or should I try and retake it for a higher score? I just don't want to risk the chance of my other sections or composite dropping...

My preliminary scores were:

VA: 91%
Bio: 97%
Chem: 88%
RC: 89%
QA: 97%

Comp: 97%

I'm happy with my score but I'm worried about my Chemistry score. Is a 88% good, or should I try and retake it for a higher score? I just don't want to risk the chance of my other sections or composite dropping...

That is such a golden score! You're above 80 in every section, congrats! :)

I wrote my test today and these were my preliminary scores, i don't know how i feel about them though
VA 30 (LOL...)
BIO 84
RC 41
QA 93
CHEM 99
COMP. 89

Just one more and I would have been in the 90 range :(
Is it worth doing the test again or are these scores fine?

I wrote my test today and these were my preliminary scores, i don't know how i feel about them though
VA 30 (LOL...)
BIO 84
RC 41
QA 93
CHEM 99
COMP. 89

Just one more and I would have been in the 90 range :(
Is it worth doing the test again or are these scores fine?

Your score is great, quit worrying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's say you completely bombed the essay but your composite is fairly high, would you have to re-take the PCAT?

can anybody tell me please, how to change my PCAT test date? i was planning to take it on Sept, however, i'm not ready or done with my studies
so im thinking to push it to October...i appreciate your response thank you!

I took it on July 2013, used only Dr. Collins and couple youtube videos. If anyone interested, I still keep my Dr. Collins with july 2013 update, wanna to sell it for 150 including the shipping fee :)
BIOL 99 455
CHEM 99 472
QA 99 460
VERB 52 403
READ 62 406
COMPOSITE 98 439

Prelim from July 17th:

VA 58
Bio 69 (LOL)
RC 84
QA 91
CH 99

Composite 93

-Bio was a lot more specific than what I had expected.

JUST TOOK THE PCAT!! Been lurking around this forum for the past 2 months and killing myself.. but it is finally over!!!

VA - 416 (74%)
BIO - 447 (97%)
RC - 396 (43%) -- fob status lol
QA - 410 (67%)
CHEM - 463 (99%)

COMPOSITE - 426 (92%) !

- I'm actually really surprised with my VA score.. on the Pearson's I was consistently falling within 20-40%
- Ran out of time on QA... with ~9 questions left blank

JUST TOOK THE PCAT!! Been lurking around this forum for the past 2 months and killing myself.. but it is finally over!!!

VA - 416 (74%)
BIO - 447 (97%)
RC - 396 (43%) -- fob status lol
QA - 410 (67%)
CHEM - 463 (99%)

COMPOSITE - 426 (92%) !

- I'm actually really surprised with my VA score.. on the Pearson's I was consistently falling within 20-40%
- Ran out of time on QA... with ~9 questions left blank
Thats amazing! Do you mind telling us what did you use to study? and which do you feel is the most effective to study first?

Verbal Ability: 419 / 78
Biology: 447 / 97
Reading Comprehension: 408/ 66
Quantitative Ability: 434 / 93
Chemistry: 484 / 99
Composite: 438 / 98

Just got home an hour ago. I did surprisingly good considering I only started studying like a week and a half ago. Definitely will do better on the next try!

VA: 443 96
Bio: 402 46
RC: 441 98
QA: 407 61
Chem: 443 95
Composite: 427 92

I pretty much spent all of the studying time I had on organic chem..which barely came up at all. And I didn't study for biology at all which makes sense looking at my bad score. Math surprised me in that I had like no time and had horrible time management. Definitely surprised by the VA and RC scores though! Definitely thought I did bad on RC.

Thats amazing! Do you mind telling us what did you use to study? and which do you feel is the most effective to study first?

I bought the Kaplain 2014-2015 PCAT book.. and read the biology section. Then I bought Dr. Collins the first week of August and started studying Biology & Chemistry first since I'm a NTR major and have taken a lot of the science courses already. So basically I went in this order --> Biology, Chemistry, Quantitative, Verbal... didn't study for reading at all. I would take a day to go through the entire study guide & answer the sample questions in them, then take a day to take all the practice tests for that section. Then go on to the next section. About 2 weeks before the test, I refreshed by re-taking Bio, Chemistry, QA Dr. Collins practice sets. A couple of days before I learned the Dr. Collin's verbal list & top 200 GRE words. I took my first Pearson test right before I started studying. Took the second about 2 weeks later. Then took the 3rd 2 days before I took the PCAT. I went through all the answers I got wrong, and searched up whatever I didn't know..

For Bio & Chem, if you go through Dr. Collins and Pearson's, and make sure you know why you got certain questions wrong, you will be totally fine. Just keep practicing and going through the problem sets until it is drilled into your head! For verbal, I remembered the top 200 GRE words, and Dr. Collin's verbal list. I think what helped boost my score in this section the most were the sentence completion questions, which were easier than analogies. Reading was.. a joke to study for. So I would focus on the top 3, and try to expand your vocab as much as you can prior to the test!

Quantitative.. was probably the section that I worried most about. I hadn't had a math course (Cal 1) since freshmen year... and I forgot everything. From derivatives, limits, integrals.. completely blank. Dr. Collins helped tremendously for this. I also learned the "Left hand rule" for memorizing the unit circle, which also sped up time. For my practice tests I was always going over the time, at least 10-15 minutes. SKIP LONG QUESTIONS OR QUESTIONS THAT YOU TAKE LONGER THAN 2 MINUTES TO ANSWER!!!

I also took the test today and I don't know if I should believe my preliminary score report....

VA: 390 30 (LOL)
Bio: 466 99
RC: 386 26 (LOL x 9834782)
QA: 460 99
Chem: 525 99
Composite: 445 99

I thought I did much worse in Bio and QA because I wasn't sure about some of the questions...... I also didn't expect my VA and RC to be THAT BAD, although I admit that I didn't have enough time for RC and I answered the last few questions without even looking at the questions/options lol

Should I retake it?.....

I bought the Kaplain 2014-2015 PCAT book.. and read the biology section. Then I bought Dr. Collins the first week of August and started studying Biology & Chemistry first since I'm a NTR major and have taken a lot of the science courses already. So basically I went in this order --> Biology, Chemistry, Quantitative, Verbal... didn't study for reading at all. I would take a day to go through the entire study guide & answer the sample questions in them, then take a day to take all the practice tests for that section. Then go on to the next section. About 2 weeks before the test, I refreshed by re-taking Bio, Chemistry, QA Dr. Collins practice sets. A couple of days before I learned the Dr. Collin's verbal list & top 200 GRE words. I took my first Pearson test right before I started studying. Took the second about 2 weeks later. Then took the 3rd 2 days before I took the PCAT. I went through all the answers I got wrong, and searched up whatever I didn't know..

For Bio & Chem, if you go through Dr. Collins and Pearson's, and make sure you know why you got certain questions wrong, you will be totally fine. Just keep practicing and going through the problem sets until it is drilled into your head! For verbal, I remembered the top 200 GRE words, and Dr. Collin's verbal list. I think what helped boost my score in this section the most were the sentence completion questions, which were easier than analogies. Reading was.. a joke to study for. So I would focus on the top 3, and try to expand your vocab as much as you can prior to the test!

Quantitative.. was probably the section that I worried most about. I hadn't had a math course (Cal 1) since freshmen year... and I forgot everything. From derivatives, limits, integrals.. completely blank. Dr. Collins helped tremendously for this. I also learned the "Left hand rule" for memorizing the unit circle, which also sped up time. For my practice tests I was always going over the time, at least 10-15 minutes. SKIP LONG QUESTIONS OR QUESTIONS THAT YOU TAKE LONGER THAN 2 MINUTES TO ANSWER!!!
How many hours a day did you study for ? and how long did you study for (months) ? Did you only use kaplan for Biology ? or did u use it for other sections ? Thanks

How many hours a day did you study for ? and how long did you study for (months) ? Did you only use kaplan for Biology ? or did u use it for other sections ? Thanks
I started reading the biology section of Kaplan in the middle of June... but wasn't REALLY studying heavily until after I ordered Dr. Collins the first week of August. Overall, I studied for about a month, skipped maybe a couple of days. My hours of studying really varied because I'm naturally a night owl, so I mostly studied around 4/5PM - 8AM about 2.5 weeks before the test. This past week, I studied everyday for ~4-5 hours/day.

I honestly didn't use Kaplan that heavily at all. I like read through all of Bio once. A lot of it stuff I had already learned in my bio / ntr courses. I didn't use it for any of the other sections. If you haven't already, you should buy the Dr. Collins & 3 Pearson practice tests. They definitely prepared me the most. When do you plan on taking it?

I started reading the biology section of Kaplan in the middle of June... but wasn't REALLY studying heavily until after I ordered Dr. Collins the first week of August. Overall, I studied for about a month, skipped maybe a couple of days. My hours of studying really varied because I'm naturally a night owl, so I mostly studied around 4/5PM - 8AM about 2.5 weeks before the test. This past week, I studied everyday for ~4-5 hours/day.

I honestly didn't use Kaplan that heavily at all. I like read through all of Bio once. A lot of it stuff I had already learned in my bio / ntr courses. I didn't use it for any of the other sections. If you haven't already, you should buy the Dr. Collins & 3 Pearson practice tests. They definitely prepared me the most. When do you plan on taking it?

Thanks so much. I plan on taking it october 16th. I need to do really well ... I will follow your study plan.. I like it ... so that means you studied for about a month beforr ur exam ? Did you ever refer to other sections (about from biology) in the kaplan because Dr. collins wasnt enough ? or did dr. collins prepare you for all sections about from Biology ?
Lastly you said you studied from 4/5 pm to 8am so dat means u were studying for about 15hrs straight... am thinking of doing about 7 hrs everyday till d exam .. What section of the pcat did you spend the most studying time on ? Thanks

Thanks so much. I plan on taking it october 16th. I need to do really well ... I will follow your study plan.. I like it ... so that means you studied for about a month beforr ur exam ? Did you ever refer to other sections (about from biology) in the kaplan because Dr. collins wasnt enough ? or did dr. collins prepare you for all sections about from Biology ?
Lastly you said you studied from 4/5 pm to 8am so dat means u were studying for about 15hrs straight... am thinking of doing about 7 hrs everyday till d exam .. What section of the pcat did you spend the most studying time on ? Thanks

Well I didn't study straight through 4/5 pm - 8AM. I would take breaks to relax, eat, watch a movie... don't kill yourself! Lol. And it wasn't a super strict schedule, basically I studied when I had the time to. I actually did not refer back to Kaplan at all when I studied Dr. Collins. Like I said, I took a lot of NTR and Bio classes already, so all the material that I studied in Dr. Collins were not new to me. But if you haven't taken all your bio classes, you probably might need to refer to Kaplan more. I think it was most helpful in explaining the physiological systems. I think I spent the most time studying Bio and Chemistry, as those were the ones that I was most interested in so studying was a lot easier. Good luck!

Just got back from taking it...wow I am so extremely happy right now.

Preliminary:

Verbal- 398 / 43%ile
Biology - 421/ 79%ile
Reading comp - 392 / 36%ile
Quantitative - 426/ 88%ile
Chemistry - 484 / 99%ile
COMPOSITE - 424 / 90th%ile

I am really hoping that the preliminary doesn't change from the official score report!

My best advice for those who have the exam coming up: DO NOT STRESS!! I was extremely nervous this morning but once I started taking the exam my stress and anxiety went down. If you feel confident with the amount you studied, then you should not stress. Also, once you finish a section, IT'S DONE. DO NOT SPEND TIME THINKING ABOUT IT. IT'S IN THE PAST SO WORRY ABOUT THE SECTION YOUR ON CURRENTLY! I honestly didn't think my score would be this high. I felt really iffy about quantitative thinking I did terrible but ended up doing just fine. You'd be surprised how much better you did than what you think you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got back from taking it...wow I am so extremely happy right now.

Preliminary:

Verbal- 398 / 43%ile
Biology - 421/ 79%ile
Reading comp - 392 / 36%ile
Quantitative - 426/ 88%ile
Chemistry - 484 / 99%ile
COMPOSITE - 424 / 90th%ile

I am really hoping that the preliminary doesn't change from the official score report!

My best advice for those who have the exam coming up: DO NOT STRESS!! I was extremely nervous this morning but once I started taking the exam my stress and anxiety went down. If you feel confident with the amount you studied, then you should not stress. Also, once you finish a section, IT'S DONE. DO NOT SPEND TIME THINKING ABOUT IT. IT'S IN THE PAST SO WORRY ABOUT THE SECTION YOUR ON CURRENTLY! I honestly didn't think my score would be this high. I felt really iffy about quantitative thinking I did terrible but ended up doing just fine. You'd be surprised how much better you did than what you think you did.
I think we took it together lol just finished taking the 8am one and my scores are:

Verbal-35
Biology-95
Chemistry-98 "was aiming for 99 lol"
Reading-07 I dont understand this
Quant-91
Comp-81

I thought I did amazing in reading I read each passage first then answered all the questions for each passage and was happy that id get at least a 50 then I seen that like wtf! If it was just a 25 it would put me in the 90s percentile easily but overall im satisfied with the three main ones...

I think we took it together lol just finished taking the 8am one and my scores are:

Verbal-35
Biology-95
Chemistry-98 "was aiming for 99 lol"
Reading-07 I dont understand this
Quant-91
Comp-81

I thought I did amazing in reading I read each passage first then answered all the questions for each passage and was happy that id get at least a 50 then I seen that like wtf! If it was just a 25 it would put me in the 90s percentile easily but overall im satisfied with the three main ones...
I knew I did terrible in reading I had to rush a lot of it too because I had like 28 more questions to answer with only 20 minutes left lol

I just took my first and last PCAT !!!!!!!! AND IT IS OVER!!!!! so glad.. *tears*
My preliminary scores are :
VERBAL (401/49) :D
BIO (466/99) :D
RC (410/69) :D
QA (453/98) :D
CHEM (526/99) yay! :D

COMPOSITE (451/99)

I am just happy with every single score! English isn't my first language, so I didn't expect much from English-related subtests (essay, verbal and RC that is!)
Thank you everyone who posted immensely helpful posts here :) YAY my summer begins now!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:

I took it earlier in July and retook it yesterday! I managed to raise my composite from a 76 to 88!! Bio raised from 46-70 and quant from 83-96. Rc was still 60 though lol.

Prelim Scores:
Verbal: 432/91
Biology 408/74
Reading Comprehension: 420/85
Quantitative Ability: 423/85
Chemistry: 408/61
Composite: 420/85

I would be happy with my score if it were not for my low chem scores, although a factor could be that I haven't taken any organic chemistry classes yet. Should I retake it to try and improve my chem scores next year? Just as a side note, I managed to maintain a 4.0 gpa for now

Last edited:
verbal - 49%
biology - 63%
reading - 56%
math - 51%
chemistry - 98%
composite - 76%

Should I retake it? I feel like everything is really low except for chemistry....

Took it today at 8am

Verbal 403/52%
Biology 435/92%
Reading Comprehension 402/54%
Quantitative Ability 420/82%
Chemistry 426/85%
Composite 417/81%

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my results. Of course I think I could have done better, but I only just finished first year so I had to teach myself a lot. Hopefully the adjustment doesn't affect me too much.

I just took my first and last PCAT !!!!!!!! AND IT IS OVER!!!!! so glad.. *tears*

COMPOSITE (451/99)

I am just happy with every single score! English isn't my first language, so I didn't expect much from English-related subtests (essay, verbal and RC that is!)
Thank you everyone who posted immensely helpful posts here :) YAY my summer begins now!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:[/QUOTE

what study guide did u use to study ? and how long did u study for ? and how many hrs a day!
thanks

COMPOSITE (451/99)

Thank you everyone who posted immensely helpful posts here :) YAY my summer begins now!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:

what study guide did u use to study ? and how long did u study for ? and how many hrs a day!

va 33
bio79
reading26
chem and math 99

composite 93!!!!!
just as i expected low va and rc but pulled 90+ composite!
score was 428 composite but idk how i got 93. i thot it should be more than 430 to get 90+

writing this at the parking lot test center
goodlu k everyonr!
I dont really understand how they grade these anymore lol I did better in Verbal 35, way better in Bio 95 , quant 91, chem 98, Rc 16 but got an 81 compared to your score????

Just finished the 8 AM PCAT today. Hope everyone else did well! Here are my scores:

Verbal 427 PR: 87
Biology 425 PR: 84
Reading 413 PR: 75
Quantitative 423 PR: 85
Chemistry 405 PR: 56
Comp 419 PR: 84

I feel like I didn't do well on the writing section, since I didn't have time to fully plan it out and whatnot. What do you guys think? Everyone else looks good too!

I dont really understand how they grade these anymore lol I did better in Verbal 35, way better in Bio 95 , quant 91, chem 98, Rc 16 but got an 81 compared to your score????

i scored so high on chem and math so it makes up or it. think of it .. on the test i got 100% for A and someone else got 91 for A.

u just average the scores next to percentile and it is the composite. its not about percentile bro :)

I mainly used Dr. Collins(old 2010 version with some 2013 updates) and Kaplan 2014-15. They both are awesome!!! I also used EK101 for RC.. I used to score really low in RC. I got 20-40 on the first Pearson practice test, and after three practices with EK101, I raised it all the way up to 75-95 on the second(guessed really well on some problems!)/60-80 on the last practice test. Well I recommend pearson practice tests, especially the last one. I studied for about 5-6 hours a day for 4 days a week for a month, doing everything I mentioned above. good luck to you ;)!

I mainly used Dr. Collins(old 2010 version with some 2013 updates) and Kaplan 2014-15. They both are awesome!!! I also used EK101 for RC.. I used to score really low in RC. I got 20-40 on the first Pearson practice test, and after three practices with EK101, I raised it all the way up to 75-95 on the second(guessed really well on some problems!)/60-80 on the last practice test. Well I recommend pearson practice tests, especially the last one. I studied for about 5-6 hours a day for 4 days a week for a month, doing everything I mentioned above. good luck to you ;)!

Thanks ... How did you use the kaplan ? did you read all the sections of kaplan ? some people just read biology ..i have both kaplan and dr collins so i would like to know how u use them together

i scored so high on chem and math so it makes up or it. think of it .. on the test i got 100% for A and someone else got 91 for A.

u just average the scores next to percentile and it is the composite. its not about percentile bro :)
Oh your right I never thought of it like that lol its like all those extra points help raise your average score.

SO EXCITED! I am very happy to be PCAT free <3 <3

VA: 423/ 82
BIO: 447/97
RC: 430/94
QA: 410/67 :hungry:
CH: 422/81

COMP: 426/ 92!! :):):)

I actually expected to do better in the Chem. section, but I didn't really focus on Orgo. The crazy thing was that even with a BA in biochem I saw stuff on the chem section that surprised me lol.
Also thankfully on bio I saw some of the stuff for my test two days before in class for microbio LOL. WAY more microbio than I expected :/ Whatever though, YAY NO RETAKES :D :D :D