post your preliminary scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramizlol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
VA 382 18
bio 435 92
Rc 395 41
QA 430 91
CHEM 438 93

Composite 416 79

Screw verbal!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
VA: 58
Bio: 92
RC: 18
QA: 91
Chem: 99
COMP: 97

I'M SOOOO HAPPY!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

This composite score is very good for me (even with low RC) because my previous PCAT composites were 27 and 57 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Verbal- 78
Biology-57 (ouch!)
Reading Comp-90
Quant-77
Chem-85
Composite-84

Took the test today and am a little shocked.
Think I could have done much better than that especially for Biology. I honestly thought that I did pretty well on Biology and probably bombed Reading Comprehension..but it was the other way around.
So my question is...should I retake the test? I have a feeling I will be asked about my low bio score and I really do not have an answer as to why it was so low :(

Verbal 78
Biology 89
Reading 78
Quant 72
Chem 97
Composite 91

Had to rush/guess through last 10 questions or so in math and last 3 questions in chemistry. As reference, I used Dr. Collins to study and this is my first time taking the PCAT.

So, I hear the preliminary score is likely your real score. True?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal 78
Biology 89
Reading 78
Quant 72
Chem 97
Composite 91

Had to rush/guess through last 10 questions or so in math and last 3 questions in chemistry. As reference, I used Dr. Collins to study and this is the first time taking the PCAT.

So, I hear the preliminary score is likely your real score. True?

What were your study methods? About how long in advance did you start studying for the PCAT?

What were your study methods? About how long in advance did you start studying for the PCAT?

Took the test today. Found someone on this website to sell me Dr. Collins material back in late February. I looked at a few things on Dr. Collins' stuff back in March, but classes took too much of my time. Honestly, started studying in May up until yesterday. I added up how many test quizes I had in Dr. Collins pack, then divided by how many days I had till test day, and did that amount of quizzes until I got through ALL of them.

I also purchased 2 practice tests from Pearson and timed myself. It's impossible to know everything, but get yourself comfortable with the format and know you've prepared yourself as much as you can. I'm content with my score, and certainly not retaking it. And, I have the Dr. Collins study material if anyone is interested. lol

Took the test today.
VA: 82
Bio: 79
RC: 62
Quant: 97
Chem: 96
Composite: 93

I was shocked when I got the report--it felt like the score would be in the low 70s/80s.
I ran out of time on the quant and guessed on about 5 questions. Bio wasn't too bad--wish the score could be higher, but oh well.
RC is tough :(

Took the test today.
VA: 82
Bio: 79
RC: 62
Quant: 97
Chem: 96
Composite: 93

I was shocked when I got the report--it felt like the score would be in the low 70s/80s.
I ran out of time on the quant and guessed on about 5 questions. Bio wasn't too bad--wish the score could be higher, but oh well.
RC is tough :(

A lot of people seem to run out of time in the Math section.

Congratulations btw

A lot of people seem to run out of time in the Math section.

Congratulations btw

Thanks! I'm just relieved its over haha.
(And I'm not in the 99%-ile club or anything, but if y'all need study tips, feel free to hit me up. :))) ) Good luck to those of you who are still studying!!

Took the test today. Found someone on this website to sell me Dr. Collins material back in late February. I looked at a few things on Dr. Collins' stuff back in March, but classes took too much of my time. Honestly, started studying in May up until yesterday. I added up how many test quizes I had in Dr. Collins pack, then divided by how many days I had till test day, and did that amount of quizzes until I got through ALL of them.

I also purchased 2 practice tests from Pearson and timed myself. It's impossible to know everything, but get yourself comfortable with the format and know you've prepared yourself as much as you can. I'm content with my score, and certainly not retaking it. And, I have the Dr. Collins study material if anyone is interested. lol

Are the sub test practice tests on your Dr Collins not circled, like the answers aren't marked?

Are the sub test practice tests on your Dr Collins not circled, like the answers aren't marked?

On the chemistry, biology and verbal sections, there is a small black mark indicating correct answers. However, I did not do this, and it looks like it was printed with this mark already on it. The entire set is very clean and no pages bent/damaged. I tend to take care of things. I have January and July 2013 Updates too.

Long time lurker, first time poster..

Just looking for some advice. My composite was an 89 today but my chem score is real low....like 'why are you pursuing a chemistry-heavy major and career field with these scores' type of low. Mostly cause I ran out of time...so should I retake? I just know they will have questions for me on that chem score.

I just took mine today. I had to guess on quite a few in the quantitative section, but somehow ended up doing fine. Such a relief to be done with it!

VA 82
Bio 69
RC 79
QA 77
Chem 99
Composite 95

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions for those who have taken the PCAT already:
1) Do we need to know the atomic masses and numbers of the elements on the periodic table? (I'm assuming we do have to... Since the PCAT books I have seen do not give that information?)
2) Should we, the July 18th test takers, memorize the AA acids, nitrogenous bases, etc?

1. For common elements like C N O, some others? But for the others, they give you the mass.

This composite score is very good for me (even with low RC) because my previous PCAT composites were 27 and 57 :)

Don't schools start averaging after 3 tries?

Just took it

VA:423/82
Bio:466/99
RC:426/91
Chem: 463/99
QA:447/97
Comp:445/99

OMG I FEEL SOOO GOOD

Took the test for the first time today. I was reviewing with an old kaplan book I had from when I thought I'd apply before... So I didn't know the format changed for this test cycle. Oops.

Anyways
VA: 478 99
Bio: 421 79
Rc: 430 94
Qa: 410 67
Che: 434 91

Composite: 435 97

Hoping it doesn't change much... But it seems like there's a lot of high scores, I'm worried that with the format change they made it easier? I don't have anything to compare to since this was my first time in and I didn't do any practice tests...

Hoping we all keep our high scores though haha

Last edited:
wow, lots of people did great this time around!!! Not this many people got 90+ on the last PCAT back January :O! Either all the smart people took it now, or no one with a 80- feels like sharing lol

I guess people who scored low aren't talking. People who finished their exams were lookin at their scores in a group outside the test center (we all finished around the same time) and some people did really bad

First time taking the PCAT like many others. I'm happy, but I'm scared since everyone has done so well that my scores might change! Are prelim scores usually indicative of the official score? Anyways,

VA 437 94
Bio 447 97
RC 424 89
QA 479 99
Chem 484 99
Comp 454 99

First time taking the PCAT as well:

VA 413 70
Bio 502 99
RC 409 68
QA 416 77
Chem 463 99
Comp 441 98

I felt terrible after the QA.. but was pleasantly surprised with my overall score lol

First time taking the PCAT like many others. I'm happy, but I'm scared since everyone has done so well that my scores might change! Are prelim scores usually indicative of the official score? Anyways,

VA 437 94
Bio 447 97
RC 424 89
QA 479 99
Chem 484 99
Comp 454 99
i think your score is so good that even if you drop 5% from each subsectino you will still get 99%
congrats!

its almost worrying seeing all of these people with good preliminary scores. this test seemed very easy and although its the only PCAT ive ever taken, im a little fearful that the actual scores will significantly lower because everybody did well.

anyways,
VA - 478 - 99
Bio - 425 - 84 (sux)
RC - 430 - 94
QA - 498 - 99
Chem - 385 - 99
Comp - 493 - 99

im very happy with my scores and dont plan to retake, although the relatively low bio score might require some explaining in an interview.

to those that are worried about the test, just relax. if you are comfortable in your math skills (can solve single variable calculus problems with ease), you will get a 90+. if you are comfortable with general bio/intro microbio, you will do well on bio. chem was the only hard section imo but ive taken many chem classes and those helped. if you havent taken organic chemistry, i dont recommend taking the pcat. A&P helps for bio as well.

as for VA and RC, just be well-read (obv terrible advice) and know how to interpret what theyre asking for. also, try to know as much 'science' terminology as you can.

i studied for about 20-25 hours total in the 3 weeks prior to the exam. i kind of wish i went for the MCAT because the test honestly seemed trivial. practice tests give you a good representation of the actual test difficulty, but imo the practice tests were a little harder.

edit: also, to the people with 95+ composite scores... please stop asking if you should retake

VA - 437 - 94
Bio - 455 - 99
RC - 420 - 85
QA - 410 - 67
Chem - 472 - 99
Comp - 439 - 98

I ran out of time on the Quant. section and pretty much filled in the last 10-12 questions in 30 seconds. Regardless I'm thrilled.

Studied for 3 weeks with Dr. Collins focusing only on chemistry and quant (My last math course was about 6 years ago so it was a painful refresher).

Hey guys!

I took my PCAT today and these were my prelim scores:
VA: 412 68%
BIO: 430 89%
CHEM: 419 78%
RC: 398 47%
QA: 407 61%
Composite 413 74%

I am not that happy with my score, It wasn't what I expected honestly. I did a lot better in math on the Pearson practice tests, maybe I just freaked out or something. Chem Im surprised I got that low because I would score in the highest range on all 3 practice tests with not that many wrong. Should I retake it in September?

just took the pcat for the first time today and glad i only had to take it once
biology: 99%
verbal: 82%
chem: 99%
rc: 78%
quant: 82%
comp: 99%

i am a biology major so all the bio and chem stuff really helped out for this test. i used dr collins heavily and also mcat books (examcrackers) which touched up with the science topics. also got the 3 practice tests. i had to review most of trig and calculus for the pcat. make sure to review all the topics presented on the website.
overall this test is way easier than the mcat. also wish it wasnt 8 am. practice as much as u can. and rock it :D
i am open to any questions

WOOOOH AMAZING SCORE! GREAT JOB! I am calling pearson tomorrow and asking about my scores because our scores are almost teh same but I got 79 composite. Any ways GREAT JOB!!

Also has any 1 heard about ur real scores being lower cause every 1 did well?

I took my PCAT Sept 2013, but my prelimnary scores did not change at all on my official score report. I think they get the %ile values from the PCAT scores from previous years instead of obtaing the %ile from the people that you took the current exam with.

Took the test for the first time today. I was reviewing with an old kaplan book I had from when I thought I'd apply before... So I didn't know the format changed for this test cycle. Oops.

Anyways
VA: 478 99
Bio: 421 79
Rc: 430 94
Qa: 410 67
Che: 434 91

Composite: 435 97

Hoping it doesn't change much... But it seems like there's a lot of high scores, I'm worried that with the format change they made it easier? I don't have anything to compare to since this was my first time in and I didn't do any practice tests...

Hoping we all keep our high scores though haha

Agreed. May be quite a bit of inflation this time around, with everyone getting extra time and putting random answers for known experimental questions. If you'll look above you can see a bunch of people with drastically higher bio and chem scores compared to others...

so wait a second!!! they knew what the experimental questions were??? I'm not up to date with the new changes in the PCAT ._.

VA: 423 82
BIO: 414 69
Reading: 437 97
QA: 447 97
CHEM: 443 95
composite: 433 96

A bit bummed that I did so bad on Bio, but was expected since I didn't know much of A&P and there was a good amount of that on my test. But overall, very happy with my overall score. Was expecting to do well on QA and Chem, but the Reading section was a major surprise. Hopefully the scores aren't inflated and won't need to be scaled back...

Damn...! I shouldn't have taken my PCAT back in January, well... its too late now :( They did not only make it easier with the passage questions, but also made it easier to get a 90+? I have seen people with 420-429 scores get a 90+ composite. I though you needed a 430 to get a 90+ percentile. You guys got really lucky! :)

Well I knew they were adding new experimental passages that also happened to be 8 questions in total. 8 experimental questions r the usual Pearson does so put 2 and 2 together lol. But we shouldn't be punished cause of that it is there fault if anything

The real question for me was whether the passage based would be more then 8. Which would be a problem but let's be honest I looked at the experimental and they were very easy. U didn't even have to read much of the passage. Nowhere near the difficulty of mcat passages

Reactions: 1 users
The real question for me was whether the passage based would be more then 8. Which would be a problem but let's be honest I looked at the experimental and they were very easy. U didn't even have to read much of the passage. Nowhere near the difficulty of mcat passages

Whether or not they will adjust this PCAT score will be a lil bit tricky... Knowing what the experimental questions are is a big advantage, no matter how easy the questions are, but then again, its not your fault that they made it so obvious that people didn't even bother with the questions because they knew they wouldn't count towards their score .-.

Some have expressed concern over the number of high scores and I thought this little excerpt from the pcatweb.info FAQ document might put some worries to rest.

"21. Are my scores derived by comparing them to the other students who took the exam
on the same date as me?

Your percentile rank scores are based on the performance of examinees in the current norm
group. The current norm group is defined as all first-time examinees who took the test
between June 2007 and January 2011. Your scaled scores are based on the number of live
items that you answered correctly for each subtest. Each multiple-choice subtest is
calculated separately."

So, pretty much...our norm group is not made up of us...it is a past group. I am thinking our scores won't change any more than the normal/rare 1-2%.

Ok that sounds reassuring but man do I feel sorry for the people who are curved with our group's lol

Some have expressed concern over the number of high scores and I thought this little excerpt from the pcatweb.info FAQ document might put some worries to rest.

"21. Are my scores derived by comparing them to the other students who took the exam
on the same date as me?

Your percentile rank scores are based on the performance of examinees in the current norm
group. The current norm group is defined as all first-time examinees who took the test
between June 2007 and January 2011. Your scaled scores are based on the number of live
items that you answered correctly for each subtest. Each multiple-choice subtest is
calculated separately."

So, pretty much...our norm group is not made up of us...it is a past group. I am thinking our scores won't change any more than the normal/rare 1-2%.

this doesn't make sense? It's kind of not fair because they are comparing you with people that took the PCAT from 2007-2011, who had no idea what the experimental questions were.
Meh... whatever! Congratz on your score! I didn't do that badly either way :p

I took the PCAT for the first time today and experienced the worst test anxiety ever.

Verbal 406 58
Biology 430 89
Reading 412 73
Quantitative 401 49 (ugh!!!!!)
Chemistry 426 85
Composite 415 78

I studied 2013-2014 Kaplan book exclusively for about 2 weeks and purchased the 3 Pearson Practice Exams 4 days ago on Monday. I'm considering a retake and buying the Collins material. Thanks for all the posts from people who post regularly on here too as it helped me get an idea of what to expect.

this doesn't make sense? It's kind of not fair because they are comparing you with people that took the PCAT from 2007-2011, who had no idea what the experimental questions were.
Meh... whatever! Congratz on your score! I didn't do that badly either way :p

Uhm, I took the test today, and I had NO idea which questions were experimental. I knew 8 would not count, but had no idea which ones they were. I didn't skip anything. Hmmmm