PLEASE, judge my school list!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this before, but not without my class list.

OK, so I have already gotten my AMCAS and AACOMAS verified. I just got my MCAT score in yesterday, and it was a 37S, which is much higher than I was expecting. Here's the deal with me. I was a pre-law student who switched to pre-med late in my Junior year of undergrad. I was a Political Science major and I minored in Psychology. My EC's are that I did an internship at a local courthouse for a semester, I did research in the Psych department of my undergrad for two semesters (no papers published, nothing major), I have about 70 hours or so of shadowing. I have been volunteering at a public clinic since early 2010, and I have been volunteering at a public hospital since early 2011 (about five hours a week, each). My overall GPA is a 3.9, and my science GPA is a 4.0.

Now, here are my weaknesses. I only have the barebones classes (plus Calculus I and some statistics classes). I have taken Gen Bio I & II (with labs), Gen Chem I & II (with labs), Physics I & II (with labs), Calculus I, Orgo I & II (with labs), and I will be taking A&P1 this Fall. Also, I ended up taking Physics II, Orgo I & II, and I will be taking A&P1 at a local CC. I had already graduated from my undergrad university by the time I had to take those classes, and I couldn't spend that much money or fit my schedule around anything other than the CC classes. I'm hoping my MCAT score can help alleviate concerns about the CC classes (I had some really good Profs there too, with years of experience at top Uni's).

Now, I really just want to get into a Med School in Chicago (and I've applied to all of them here, as well as many all over the country), so I should ask what are my chances at the schools in Chicago? Do I have a legitimate shot at Northwestern or U of Chicago, or a chance at getting some merit based fin aid at the others? Thanks!

School list:

University of Chicago
Washington University in St. Louis
Einstein University
Medical College of Wisconsin
CCOM (DO)
Rosalind Franklin
U of Illinois
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Stanford
John Hopkins
NYU
Rush Medical College
Loyola Stritch
Northwestern
Harvard

Is this a good mixture of reaches and non-reaches? Should I add a few more safeties? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good list! So stop fussing and start applying!

I posted this before, but not without my class list.

OK, so I have already gotten my AMCAS and AACOMAS verified. I just got my MCAT score in yesterday, and it was a 37S, which is much higher than I was expecting. Here's the deal with me. I was a pre-law student who switched to pre-med late in my Junior year of undergrad. I was a Political Science major and I minored in Psychology. My EC's are that I did an internship at a local courthouse for a semester, I did research in the Psych department of my undergrad for two semesters (no papers published, nothing major), I have about 70 hours or so of shadowing. I have been volunteering at a public clinic since early 2010, and I have been volunteering at a public hospital since early 2011 (about five hours a week, each). My overall GPA is a 3.9, and my science GPA is a 4.0.

Now, here are my weaknesses. I only have the barebones classes (plus Calculus I and some statistics classes). I have taken Gen Bio I & II (with labs), Gen Chem I & II (with labs), Physics I & II (with labs), Calculus I, Orgo I & II (with labs), and I will be taking A&P1 this Fall. Also, I ended up taking Physics II, Orgo I & II, and I will be taking A&P1 at a local CC. I had already graduated from my undergrad university by the time I had to take those classes, and I couldn't spend that much money or fit my schedule around anything other than the CC classes. I'm hoping my MCAT score can help alleviate concerns about the CC classes (I had some really good Profs there too, with years of experience at top Uni's).

Now, I really just want to get into a Med School in Chicago (and I've applied to all of them here, as well as many all over the country), so I should ask what are my chances at the schools in Chicago? Do I have a legitimate shot at Northwestern or U of Chicago, or a chance at getting some merit based fin aid at the others? Thanks!

School list:

University of Chicago
Washington University in St. Louis
Einstein University
Medical College of Wisconsin
CCOM (DO)
Rosalind Franklin
U of Illinois
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Stanford
John Hopkins
NYU
Rush Medical College
Loyola Stritch
Northwestern
Harvard

Is this a good mixture of reaches and non-reaches? Should I add a few more safeties? Any recommendations?

He's right you shouldn't have a problem. Being a non-science major is not a problem at all, with a 37S and a 3.9 GPA you should be fine, unless you blow the interview........

Members don't see this ad :)
About Loma Linda, it's a religious school that expects its students to live a certain lifestyle. Be sure that you are okay with that before you apply there.

Maybe I should read the OP again, but I don't see where the problem is?

You have a favorable chance. 5/10