URM, Hearing loss, was in a wheelchair, ADHD--Judge my worthiness for app...if there is any...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeym8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:)! I tried searching the threads,but couldn't really find one applicable to me. Any other advice or criticisms/suggestions are also welcome!

Background:
  • URM, moderate hearing loss, and ADHD (diagnosed 2nd yr in college)
    • Parents were refugees from the Khmer Genocide--> poor childhood and limited opportunities growing up in the Central Valley(CA)
    • I was planning on addressing health disparities and my experience growing up within the system in my personal statement
  • 3rd year, Public Health Major at a top public research institution in California
  • Planning on a gap year
  • Not sure if I might be MD worthy--should I still try?
Academic Summary and Involvements
  • Currently have 3.136, but I am projecting a 3.5 by the time I graduate :bucktooth:(B/c major upper divs are a piece of cake)
  • Huge upward trend
  • BCPM GPA~3.24 (I know it's so low:()
  • Finished with all pre-med requirements except for BioChem

• 1st year- Advocacy group for URM groups on campus, Rally Committee, Administrative asst.
  • 2nd year- same 3 groups as above, plus Rotary Organization, AMSA, and began volunteering at a local hospital (for one semester, boss wasn't forgiving with class schedules)
  • 3rd year- AMSA, volunteering at a top private hospital(staff-patient liaison), Habitat for Humanity, and Camp Kesem (fundraise and host camp in the summer for parents who have been affected by cancer)
  • 4th year(projected)- AMSA, volunteering at same hospital, Habitat for humanity, and maybe research, have some sort of shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely have a shot at MD schools and DO schools it really depends on how you do on your MCAT. Study hard do well on it the first time and you should get plenty of interviews when you apply (make sure to apply early). Keep volunteering both clinical and non clinical and keep up an upward trend.

Reactions: 1 user
Do well on your MCAT and you should be golden. 510+ will get you into most schools except the top 20, 515+ makes you Harvard material, with your URM status and life story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thank you guys! I never thought I could stand a chance. You guys are giving me hope. Thank you :)

Update: My current GPA is now a 3.287! I also got into an REU program that is geared towards deaf/hard of hearing students. I have only shadowed one otolaryngologist (ENT dr).

I am also planning to take 2 gap years.

Upward trends take a long long time...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Update: My current GPA is now a 3.287! I also got into an REU program that is geared towards deaf/hard of hearing students. I have only shadowed one otolaryngologist (ENT dr).

Good luck!! Keep grinding you got this! :)

Keep it up, man! Keep us posted

I have had a student who was profoundly deaf.