Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The REAL Doc McStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was scheduled to take my MCAT 6/29. My BP FL was 497, which isn’t good but I thought I could at least bring it up to a 500. So I took AAMC FL1 and got a 488. I’m devastated. I know the issue is content review but I just don’t know where to begin. I was reading the Kaplan books but I kept forgetting the material. I’m thinking about pushing it back to an august test date but I was hoping to apply this cycle. Should I submit a primary or wait until I get my MCAT score back? All advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You should never rush taking the MCAT, especially if it’s not the score you wanted. Pushing back the rest date, applying next cycle, or getting external intervention through tutoring, etc. are all options you should consider. Taking the MCAT and bring uncertain of what score will come out a month later is HIGHLY unfavorable.

Thankfully, I assume with this score range you’re applying DO only, which means you have a bit more leeway if you are dead-set on applying this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
You should never rush taking the MCAT, especially if it’s not the score you wanted. Pushing back the rest date, applying next cycle, or getting external intervention through tutoring, etc. are all options you should consider. Taking the MCAT and bring uncertain of what score will come out a month later is HIGHLY unfavorable.

Thankfully, I assume with this score range you’re applying DO only, which means you have a bit more leeway if you are dead-set on applying this cycle.
Yes I was planning to apply to both MD and DO it doesn’t matter to me

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying MD is unrealistic unless your MCAT score exceeds a 505 at least in my opinion, even for your state MD schools. Other opinions may differ but currently you should only apply DO with a 497-ish score range.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Applying MD is unrealistic unless your MCAT score exceeds a 505 at least in my opinion, even for your state MD schools. Other opinions may differ but currently you should only apply DO with a 497-ish score range.

Not true, if the rest of your app is good MD schools will overlook a mediocre MCAT.

Not true, if the rest of your app is good MD schools will overlook a mediocre MCAT.
If you’re underrepresented in medicine or have completely remarkable and unique EC’s that are way above the norm of 99% of applicants, then sure. If you only meet screening cutoffs, then MD is unrealistic, especially with an MCAT score below 500.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re underrepresented in medicine or have completely remarkable and unique EC’s that are way above the norm of 99% of applicants, then sure. If you only meet screening cutoffs, then MD is unrealistic, especially with an MCAT score below 500.

99%? Bro you just applied this cycle and haven't started 1st year yet, when and where did you get this wealth of information about med school admissions lol

99%? Bro you just applied this cycle and haven't started 1st year yet, when and where did you get this wealth of information about med school admissions lol
My undergraduate university had a health advising office that actually provides a ton of external advising resources, application reviews, interview/MMI preparation, etc. so I took full advantage of that before and during the cycle. I also have relationships to former admissions members, recently graduated physicians, and family friends in admissions that mentored me during my third and fourth year of university (I didn’t apply to those schools).

The 99% is just a metaphoric phrase I threw out there for having superb or completely different EC’s that cannot be found in a majority of applicants and clearly define your unique mission-fit. Such things would include being a veteran who has served in Iraq, founder of a non-profit impactful organization and continuation of it, having a publication in Nature, having published a NY Times best seller series, etc.; essentially, something no other applicant would have on their application except you that would still boost your application to make you better mission-fit or unique, in a short summary.

Sorry for straying off-topic to the OP, but I wanted to clarify this aspect just to clear up any confusions, but essentially, postpone the MCAT until your AAMC FL exams are giving you results that you are happy with, which may (not always) lead to applying next cycle instead, as you only want to take the MCAT once. Some schools average MCAT scores so you don’t want that happening and lowering your chances at any schools you apply to.

Reactions: 4 users
The 99% is just a metaphoric phrase I threw out there for having superb or completely different EC’s that cannot be found in a majority of applicants and clearly define your unique mission-fit. Such things would include being a veteran who has served in Iraq, founder of a non-profit impactful organization and continuation of it, having a publication in Nature, having published a NY Times best seller series, etc.; essentially, something no other applicant would have on their application except you that would still boost your application to make you better mission-fit or unique, in a short summary.
Just commenting on this... I think the "standard" in this description is the typical traditional rising senior applicant. You would not be surprised seeing very accomplished people who are nontraditional or career changers with some of these accomplishments. Granted maybe not a majority, but we have a forum for veterans who want to go to a health professional program here! Some researchers with Cell/Nature/Science authorships get waitlisted or screened out. Professional musicians apply more frequently than you think, though I doubt Taylor Swift will apply.

But I point out the other conundrum: if an Elon Musk-like entrepreneur wanted to go to medical school, we would still ask for "why medicine?" AND "Why now?" Having accomplishments doesn't make you automatically better prepared for a life as a doctor. You must still have the fundamentals of a strong application and mission-fit with your goals and the school's goals.

Get a strong MCAT and get the best score you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am URM. I’m hoping a 500 can get me into my state MD at least