please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ganz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We are studying a trauma case at my school right now, and I am required to present on Paramedic-hospital radio communication. So basically I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me a rundown on the important info that you want to hear from the paramedics while they are en route (in particular for a trauma patient involved in a traffic collision).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ETA, Age, Sex, Mechanism of injury (car crash, fall, shot, whatever), complaints (unconscious, leg pain, etc.), vital signs, actions taken (Cspine, IV, etc.), additional pertinent info (intoxicated, non-English, confused, etc.).

you would probably get more hits on this in the prehospital/ems forum , but you asked, so here goes.....
# of patients coming to facility
mechanism of accident(rollover, head on, etc)including speed of vehicles and amount of damage to each vehicle.
?use of seatbelts. did pts head hit windshield? body impact with dash or steering wheel? was pt ambulatory at scene prior to ems arrival? airbags deployed?
age/sex/race of each pt
injuries of each pt
vital signs of each pt and monitor readings if applicable
relevant physical exam to presenting complaint( neck nontender, lungs clear, chest/pelvis stable, abdomen nontender, neuro: moving all extremmities well with intact sensation), etc
interventions so far( c-spine precautions, 2 large bore iv's, o2, hare traction splint, needle decompression of pneumo, etc)
request for future orders( some ems systems require medics to call in for specific types of orders once they do a few basic things)
eta(estimated time of arrival) to the hospital
resources needed on arrival if applicable( notify the trauma team,set up for hazmat, etc.)
every system does things differently but that is a good start.
this is the stuff I want to hear when I talk to medics on the radio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it
:thumbup:

Well, it's dependent on radio or telephone (ie, just the information (one way), or do you need orders?).

If I was just calling in, "35M, driver unbelted, head-on, ejected through windshield, bilateral femur fracture, unconscious, seizing on scene (resolved spontaneously), (+) large scalp wound, hemorrhage controlled, splinted, immobilized, intubated, BP 200/100, HR 80, RSR, IV NS wide open, 5 minutes". I can do that clearly in about 18 seconds (I just timed it - and I can do it much faster - still clearly, but like the surgeons want it - in less than 10 seconds; in NYC, the EP's can gather all the data I give in those 10 seconds, and then they move on).

docB's report is more individual. EmedPA's is more likely from an incident commander (and, in areas where they're used, more likely to be by cell phone than over the air).

In essence, how many patients, alive or dead (CPR), what resources will I need (from mechanism, vital signs, and other interventions you've given), how long until you're here.