Los Angeles EMT's, help me out please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeemt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get hired as an EMT in Los Angeles County, and I need help finding the requirements.

I did my certification at UCLA a couple years ago, but didn't have time to find a job until now. I think I could still pass all the tests, although I don't remember the specifics of the clinical stuff anymore.

My problem is that I just can't find a single informative resource on the internet about EMT requirements in LA. You would think the county would have one, but they don't. Do you know of any? I've tried calling specific companies to ask, but they just give me a rushed rundown in EMT jargon... Apparently I need "To be an EMT, County Permit, City Permit, DL51, and something "6"" What does it mean to "be an EMT"- Is my class ok, do I need to be re-certified via the NREMT at all for the county permit, and what about clinical stuff? Is there a difference between City and County tests, and how do I sign up for them? It is amazing how difficult it is to find this information, you would think there would be a straight-forward answer. I'm frustrated, please help if you can!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, let me see if I can help one UCLA's EMT graduates.

Did you take the certifying examination through the LA County or National Registry (if you took the course after 2005)? If so, your certification is good for 2 years. If you've expired, you'll have to take an EMT Refresher Course or earn 24 hours of Contining Education Credit and may need some additional course work depending on when you expired.

If you never took the certifying examination you have 2 years from the date of course completion to take it. If for some reason you didn't become certified within 1 year of course completion, you'd also need to retake the EMT skills examination.

The ambulance company should provide you with the info you need for permits upon employment. You may not need a city permit if you're working for an employer doing work outside of the city. The DL51 is a medical examination that basically states you're fit to drive an ambulance. Most employers should have a relationship with a medical group or physcian to provide access to this and guide you through the process.

If you want to work as an EMT, confirm you are certified, and simply contact an ambulance company and complete an application.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info...

Yeah, I took the NREMT almost two years ago. I assumed that my registration had expired, but it turns out that I have until march to re-register. I think I' will have to take some clinical reviews though, so I don't kill anyone. As it turn out, the county website is down, which might be why I couldn't find the info I was looking for. I caled UCLA and they said the county doesn't do any testing of it's own, so I think I'm set with the NREMT stuff. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info...

Yeah, I took the NREMT almost two years ago. I assumed that my registration had expired, but it turns out that I have until march to re-register. I think I' will have to take some clinical reviews though, so I don't kill anyone. As it turn out, the county website is down, which might be why I couldn't find the info I was looking for. I caled UCLA and they said the county doesn't do any testing of it's own, so I think I'm set with the NREMT stuff. Thanks again.

You need to be certified in the State of California as well.