Pitt vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorKOL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been following both the Pitt and BU threads very carefully throughout this application cycle. I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted at both med schools and was wondering if any current, prospective, or future Pitt/BU/other med students could help me decide between the two. I would be considered OOS at both and felt like I would be happy at both. Obviously one is ranked better than the other, but that shouldn't be the most important factor, right?

Anyways I would appreciate any and all help!

Thanks and :luck: to everyone out there.

-DoctorKOL

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have been following both the Pitt and BU threads very carefully throughout this application cycle. I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted at both med schools and was wondering if any current, prospective, or future Pitt/BU/other med students could help me decide between the two. I would be considered OOS at both and felt like I would be happy at both. Obviously one is ranked better than the other, but that shouldn't be the most important factor, right?

-DoctorKOL

I was lucky enough to be deciding between these two school as well. BU is an awesome school, and I liked it way more then its "ranking" would suggest. I ended up going with Pitt for the following reasons.

1. Cost. Pitt has cheaper tuition and much cheaper cost of living. The 1 Br in Boston I was looking at was 1600, the 1 Brs in Pittsburgh are 600-900. Boston is a cooler city, but Pittsburgh is surprisingly fun and I'd rather be somewhere where I can afford to go out on a student budget.

2. Clinical training: Pitt has a freaking mannequin hospital. You don't use it too much first year, but second through fourth you get a lot of practice before you do things on patients, which is really helpful. Pitt also has a system with 22 different hospitals for only 1 med school, meaning you can get all sorts of different exposure and hands on time as a student.

On the other hand, BU has BMC which is both awesome and a little scary. Awesome because its the understaffed safety net hospital, and you'll get to do more as a med student then you would at most schools with fancy private hospitals. The downside is that its in a very precarious position financially, and is currently suing the state to increase payments (the state mandates that they treat everyone regardless of ability to pay, but then drastically cut how much it subsidizes BMC), so who knows what it will be like in a few years.

3. Prestige. Not just because the name will make such a difference (though it can), but because every department here has faculty that are big names in their field, meaning you get great research experience and Rec letters from people whose names will carry a lot of weight. There's also tons of money available for research here. At BU you'll need to be more self-motivated and find more outside research grants (definitely doable though).

4. Residencies. Pitt takes a lot of their own, and their residency programs are almost uniformly awesome, while some of the BMC residencies have a rep for malignancy. Also Pitt has every residency program available, while BU does not (e.g. no neurosurgery residency at BU).

I know this sounds like I'm ragging on BU but I'm really not. Its a fantastic school, with a really cool student body, awesome administration, and excellent clinical exposure. I've had an great experience at Pitt thus far though, and would highly recommend it. We also have a lot of fun while we're here, and my classmates are amazing. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you're having trouble deciding.

Just sent you a PM. Thanks so much for the reply! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone else out there who can contribute anything to this thread? I welcome any and all thoughts and opinions. As many of you know, it can be difficult deciding between any two medical schools.

-DoctorKOL

Is there anyone else out there who can contribute anything to this thread? I welcome any and all thoughts and opinions. As many of you know, it can be difficult deciding between any two medical schools.

-DoctorKOL

I went to undergrad and grad school at BU, and my SO is a medical student there. feel free to PM me if you have specific questions and i'll try to help.

number one con of BU, in my opinion, is cost. you pay quite a bit extra, in both tuition and living expenses, and I'm personally not sure it's worth it (boston is a fun city though). on the other hand, if you're interested in underserved communities, BMC is awesome for that, as mentioned above. they're also a very busy level I trauma center, so if that's something you're interested in you can see a lot of that.

i've also been accepted to Pitt and am most likely going to attend. i'm thinking this because i'm not really sure what i want to do yet, so i want to go to the place that has the most resources and is likely to be a great place for whatever i end up deciding on. i was also pleasantly surprised by the city of pittsburgh when i visited; i think i might be more of a smaller city person :)

It seems like no one disagrees with you both that Pitt may be the better option.

This thread is of interest to me too. Even though I haven't been accepted to BU (I am deferred and waiting...:whistle:), I do have an acceptance to Pitt. I think overall Pitt will open up many more opportunities since it has tremendous resources and is considered top ten for specialties such as drug and alcohol abuse, geriatrics, and women's health. However, it does have the smaller town feel and more college feel to it than BU, as it is not on the same campus as the undergrad, but at the health campus. BU, on the other hand, is a city and will likely give you more exposure to under-served communities and a more diverse population. It's really a win win either way. Congrats on both!

Better city, better residency connections, hotter chicks

And they are pass/fail. Therefore less stressful. But I did read a rumor that Pitt was thinking of heading in the direction of pass/fail...

Yes, no, and yes (for the city, not the school). There is definitely more going on in Boston. Of course that better city comes at a big hit to the wallet (2x rent, 2-3x cost for going out, etc.). Pittsburgh will surprise you also. Don't kid yourself for residency connections though, Pitt's match list is definitely awesome.
http://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/why-choose-pitt/documents/residency-match09.pdf

Pitt also has an entire massive hospital system covering nearly every patient west of Philly and east of Cleveland (and many quaternary referrals) all for one school. BU shares a relatively small city with 2.5 other medical schools and numerous hospital systems, meaning students have to do many of their rotations outside of Boston. People certainly do rural med rotations here, but as a choice, not bc the main hospitals lack capacity.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm slightly biased because I just got accepted to Pitt and was rejected by BU, but I'd still choose Pitt. The cost would be the main reason for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm third year at BU and totally love it. Don't know much about Pitt, but I would have been crazed my first two years of med school without pass/fail. Turned down some other well-ranked schools on that basis and because they were in crappy cities. Not to say Pittsburgh is crappy, but it sure ain't Boston.

I'll go out on a limb here and say Pittsburgh is a better city to be a student in. I grew up near Boston and did my undergrad in the city, and unless you come from money it's tough to take advantage of what the town has to offer. The subway doesn't run late, so going out can be E X P E N S I V E. The girls at BU are generally J.A.P.s (not the kind from Japan...), and everyone knows that State Schools Girls >> Private School Girls. The city is stacked to the gills with M@ssholes, whom you'll have to nuzzle up next to on your lengthy commute to BUMC. Unless, of course, you're willing to shell out >$1500/month to live near the med campus...

*ducks*

All my Boston cynicism aside, both schools are great. I'd give Pitt a significant edge in reputation, prestige, and residency connections. That being said, the clinical education you'll get at BUMC is extremely valuable & unique. You could probably only replicate that experience at Bellevue in NYC or Grady in ATL, so at BU you would experience one of the great remaining inner-city hospitals on the east coast, something Pitt doesn't offer.

Also, P/F grading at BU is great. I've heard (and this is pure hearsay) that Pitt can be kind of a shark tank, which may be why they're (potentially) moving to P/F.

It's a tough call, but all things consider, I'd choose Pitt (and probably will...).

trust me on this one, PASS/FAIL IS A HUGE PLUS.

Pitt has Honors/Pass/Fail = :(

although rumor has it, that class of 2015 will be first with true P/F.

I'll go out on a limb here and say Pittsburgh is a better city to be a student in. I grew up near Boston and did my undergrad in the city, and unless you come from money it's tough to take advantage of what the town has to offer. The subway doesn't run late, so going out can be E X P E N S I V E. The girls at BU are generally J.A.P.s (not the kind from Japan...), and everyone knows that State Schools Girls >> Private School Girls. The city is stacked to the gills with M@ssholes, whom you'll have to nuzzle up next to on your lengthy commute to BUMC. Unless, of course, you're willing to shell out >$1500/month to live near the med campus...

*ducks*

All my Boston cynicism aside, both schools are great. I'd give Pitt a significant edge in reputation, prestige, and residency connections. That being said, the clinical education you'll get at BUMC is extremely valuable & unique. You could probably only replicate that experience at Bellevue in NYC or Grady in ATL, so at BU you would experience one of the great remaining inner-city hospitals on the east coast, something Pitt doesn't offer.

Also, P/F grading at BU is great. I've heard (and this is pure hearsay) that Pitt can be kind of a shark tank, which may be why they're (potentially) moving to P/F.

It's a tough call, but all things consider, I'd choose Pitt (and probably will...).

Do you think it is a shark tank even though it is H/P/F? I think that should make things a little less competitive. Not sure, but this thread is making me very excited about Pitt :laugh:. Not too much BU support out there.

I've heard (and this is pure hearsay) that Pitt can be kind of a shark tank, which may be why they're (potentially) moving to P/F.

:laugh:

nah its not that bad. its just annoying because our averages are through the roof on every exam (honors under current grading system is 1 sd above the mean)

but its far from a "shark tank"

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It is all very helpful! :D

I wonder when we will find out whether or not Pitt is moving to a truly P/F grading system? Anyone know when this might be.

That being said, the clinical education you'll get at BUMC is extremely valuable & unique. You could probably only replicate that experience at Bellevue in NYC or Grady in ATL, so at BU you would experience one of the great remaining inner-city hospitals on the east coast, something Pitt doesn't offer.

While BMC is awesome, if you rotate through UPMC Mercy ED, or do anything at UPMC Mckeesport, and you'll also get an inner city experience with lots of trauma, crazy co-morbidities, poverty, etc. The ethnic diversity won't be as great as Boston though.

Between the 22 hospitals, UPMC definitely runs the gamut from glitzy hospital with VIP rooms (UPMC shadyside) to urban inner city hospital (Mercy).

In my experience, H/P/F hasn't been a problem in terms of competitiveness. We have a micro test coming up and I've already gotten lots of emails with notes, study guides, etc. and theres a class google-doc that a lot of people post their notes to. It is a lot of work, though you'd have to put in that work anyways for boards (much more important then getting honors vs. pass)

I've been considering p/f systems my preference, but I secretly think h/p/f would be a fun challenge.

I went to Pitt undergrad and have lived in the Burgh for all my life, so I can tell you a bit about the city.

As far as cost of living, you can't do much better than Pittsburgh. I don't really know anyone who payed more than 450/person for an off campus apartment in Oakland, and if you want a nicer place, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are very close and very reasonable as well.

If your looking for nightlife, Oakland has a few good undergraduate bars, Shadyside has some nice grad student type bars, and the millions of bars on E. Carson St. in the South Side is only an 8 dollar cab ride away.

UPMC basically owns the city of Pittsburgh and so the network of clinical opportunities is virtually limitless. You can be exposed to many different populations within a relatively small area.

And if your into sports, Pittsburgh is the City of Champions, so we have the Steelers, Penguins, and Panther Basketball which are consistently in the hunt for championships.

Good luck with your choice.

-DoctorKOL

Pitt, Pitt, aaaaaaand Pitt. :thumbup:

I've been considering p/f systems my preference, but I secretly think h/p/f would be a fun challenge.
:thumbup: agree but its a fun im willing to trade :D for less stress if possible

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies. This is what makes SDN great!

I had a question for Pitt students, are the on-campus apartments fully furnished? Are any off campus apartments fully furnished as well? I live FAR away, so moving all of my things would be quite the mission.

Thx!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies. This is what makes SDN great!

I had a question for Pitt students, are the on-campus apartments fully furnished? Are any off campus apartments fully furnished as well? I live FAR away, so moving all of my things would be quite the mission.

Thx!

On-campus apartments are not furnished. There's an IKEA by the airport that everyone makes liberal use of. As for off-campus apartments, some are furnished, most aren't, depends on the landlord/company.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It is all very helpful! :D

I wonder when we will find out whether or not Pitt is moving to a truly P/F grading system? Anyone know when this might be.

My suspicion is that it's not. I have a few friends on the curriculum committee, and as far as I'm aware, they're not sworn to silence. I feel like this is something we would have heard about. I do know for a fact, however, that it's discussed every year, so maybe the class of 2015 is the class that gets to benefit from that discussion!

That said, I'm a first year here at Pitt and when deciding between schools, I was a bit hesitant with respect to the honors/pass/fail system. Here's how it has panned out for me:

-Nobody here is out to sabotage anyone else. There are a few people who do their own thing, and outside of required group learning sessions, don't really contribute to the learning of the group. And, as far as I'm concerned, that's fine. The atmosphere is extremely collegial, and as has been stated above, people are always sending out study guides, explaining things to one another, and basically "leaving no man behind."

-The honors in honors/pass/fail only matters if you make it matter. I am perfectly content to pass my courses. Could I kill myself for every test and get honors? Maybe. There are a lot of very smart people here, and deviating above them is a daunting task. Do I have that desire? No. I went into medical school determined to live as balanced a life as I could. If that means not honorsing my courses, than so be it. I don't believe (and this belief has largely been confirmed by residency directors giving lunch talks here at Pitt) it will keep me from specializing in what I want to specialize in (which at this point is undetermined). Perhaps you can make an argument that it could keep you out of extremely competitive specialties at extremely competitive programs, but I think that's more conjecture.

-To further allay any concerns about the competitiveness constructed by an h/p/f system, if I had to pick my favorite thing about med school thus far, it would be my classmates. They're a bunch of fun, interesting, generous people who go way out of their way to help each other out.

Best of luck with your decisions, and if you come to second look, I will most likely see you there!

Are students at Pitt protected from scut work during rotations? I know a certain amount of scut will be done, but do students get enough hands on training to do well on the shelf exams? I know in surgery students sometimes get stuck just doing scut, does this even happen here?

:eek:

there is a decent number of ppl in our class that are actually in favor of honors (usually the people WITH honors)....so ur not alone

but id say 80%+ would greatly prefer p/f only.

Status
Not open for further replies.