physical therapy vs podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrock89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am caught in a crossfire right now between the two professions. I am pursuing a PT path right now but I am considering podiatry heavily right now. I hear they have flexible hours, great pay and low stress. Similiar to a PT but PT's from my perspective don't really have flexible hours and their pay is low compared to the amount of schooling they have to do. They have to do almost the same amount of school as podiatrists and receive half their pay. Can you guys give me some experience of a POD? I am thinking about shadowing once I am done being a PT tech. Do you have to take both ochems and microbio? Just thinking about ditching being a PT and going to something a little more prestigious. I just feel that all health care professions bash on PT's and want a new option and podiatry seems like a great fit.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to take 1 year of calc, ochem, gen chem, english, physics and all the other pre-reqs. I'm not sure how it is for PT, but you will need to take the MCAT as well. POD school is a lot longer than PT so be prepared to do 3 years of residency after 4 years of schooling. Good luck

8 credits of bio, 8 credits of gen chem, 8 credits of ochem, 8 credits of physics. Some schools require certain amounts of English credits and others as well but the standard is pretty much 8,8,8,8 and at least 90 credit hours. Gotta take the MCAT and do decently well to be comfortable. School is 4 years and then a 3 year residency so it is a significant increase from PT school. Shadow a few local podiatrists and see if it is something that you can see yourself doing and enjoying for the rest of your life. Best of luck! Give it some serious thought and research and no doubt you will see if it's worth the switch for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea I have most of the pre reqs besides ochem part. I am just not digging the low salary of PT's vs other health professions right now. I am considering med school in the carribeans as well. What do other health professions view of PT? Is it the same as chiro's? I just want some fresh perspectives right now and I appreciate the comments. I am turning old and need to decide the career for me.

I am caught in a crossfire right now between the two professions. I am pursuing a PT path right now but I am considering podiatry heavily right now. I hear they have flexible hours, great pay and low stress. Similiar to a PT but PT's from my perspective don't really have flexible hours and their pay is low compared to the amount of schooling they have to do. They have to do almost the same amount of school as podiatrists and receive half their pay. Can you guys give me some experience of a POD? I am thinking about shadowing once I am done being a PT tech. Do you have to take both ochems and microbio? Just thinking about ditching being a PT and going to something a little more prestigious. I just feel that all health care professions bash on PT's and want a new option and podiatry seems like a great fit.

A podiatry career is not a low stress career.

You are too focused on prestige and money. If you like physical therapy do physical therapy. Some make more than pods for the record. No salary is guaranteed for either profession.

Just do what will make you happy. The rest of life will fall into place.

Ps. I highly suggest avoiding the caribbean md route. Why are you considering caribbean schools without having taken the MCAT yet. You have a lot to research/learn about medicine/allied health careers.

Good luck.

A podiatry career is not a low stress career.

You are too focused on prestige and money. If you like physical therapy do physical therapy. Some make more than pods for the record. No salary is guaranteed for either profession.

Just do what will make you happy. The rest of life will fall into place.

Ps. I highly suggest avoiding the caribbean md route. Why are you considering caribbean schools without having taken the MCAT yet. You have a lot to research/learn about medicine/allied health careers.

Good luck.
I think that might be rare if they work comparable hours.

Whether it's rare or not, the point is don't pick a profession based off income, since no income is guaranteed for either profession.

I agree with Nikki 100%. Also I hope the op is comparing a DPT with the DPM. Even so, as far as salary goes the DPM is a specialized physician and preforms surgery, wound care and diabetic foot care etc...

Shadow a podiatrist and see if you can stomach gas ganegreen or rotten meat or wounds on the heel of the foot which you can stick your fist in. (these are samples from my personal shadowing experience.) A PT does not deal with that type of stuff.

The job of the podiatrist in these situations are all connected with prolonging the life and limbs of the patient...etc...

Both careers are rewarding becasue you are helping people get better.

Choose a career in podiatry becasue you want to specialize in foot and ankle healthcare on a surgeon level ... etc.

8 credits of bio, 8 credits of gen chem, 8 credits of ochem, 8 credits of physics. Some schools require certain amounts of English credits and others as well but the standard is pretty much 8,8,8,8 and at least 90 credit hours. Gotta take the MCAT and do decently well to be comfortable. School is 4 years and then a 3 year residency so it is a significant increase from PT school. Shadow a few local podiatrists and see if it is something that you can see yourself doing and enjoying for the rest of your life. Best of luck! Give it some serious thought and research and no doubt you will see if it's worth the switch for you.

8 schools have 3 year SURGICAL residencies. Temple has a 4 year program (3 years surgical and one year Internist). All are rigorous. Becoming a Podiatrist is not a walk in the park by no means. Just saying...

You will need to take 1 year of calc, ochem, gen chem, english, physics and all the other pre-reqs. I'm not sure how it is for PT, but you will need to take the MCAT as well. POD school is a lot longer than PT so be prepared to do 3 years of residency after 4 years of schooling. Good luck

Do you really have to take calculus? I've never heard of this. I know some med schools want you to take calc, but haven't seen that for any pod schools.

I am caught in a crossfire right now between the two professions. I am pursuing a PT path right now but I am considering podiatry heavily right now. I hear they have1 flexible hours, great pay and low stress. Similiar to a PT but PT's from my perspective don't really have flexible hours and their pay is low compared to the amount of schooling they have to do.2 They have to do almost the same amount of school as podiatrists and receive half their pay. Can you guys give me some experience of a POD? I am thinking about shadowing once I am done being a PT tech. Do you have to take both ochems and microbio? Just thinking about ditching being a PT and 3.going to something a little more prestigious. I just feel that all health care professions bash on P.T's and want a new option and podiatry seems like a great fit.

PT's do a 3 year program and no residency. Podiatrists do 4 years of school and a now mandated 3 years of residency. So...really comparing apples to oranges here.

Flexible hours and low stress won't necessarily coincide with great pay in any profession, especially podiatry. So...not sure where you heard this but it's certainly not a guarantee if you want to be successful.

Prestige? Podiatry? Some specialties don't even consider us real doctors and we continue to fight for a consistent scope of practice across the country. No one is going to roll out the red carpet for you when you get the DPM degree. There are still many battles to be fought and won, and we are far from national recognition and "prestige".