PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCSF and UCSD - I am applying this year.

I am in California - San Francisco.

I am doing biochemistry research - I am investigating the expression of different housekeeping genes for qPCR and comparing their efficiency.

cool,,am doing my masters in biology in illinois, i have to do my research soon , but i was busy studying for the pcat,,,my head will explode..i go drink cofffeee at borders now...:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Guys i still dont get this,,, lets say in calculus (3 hours) i got a D then re took it and got an A ,, what will be the final grade will be? and will they show both grades to schools?

Both grades will be shown. So they would average out to somewhere between a B and a C. If the A counts as 4.0 and the D is 1.0, the final GPA would be 2.5.

Both grades will be shown. So they would average out to somewhere between a B and a C. If the A counts as 4.0 and the D is 1.0, the final GPA would be 2.5.

how could this be an average, i mean if you repeat a course you expect to raise your gpa, but to calculate it this way will not increase it too much as it would if they only consider the highest grade....

Members don't see this ad :)
how could this be an average, i mean if you repeat a course you expect to raise your gpa, but to calculate it this way will not increase it too much as it would if they only consider the highest grade....

that's the point - repeating a course does not automatically raise your gpa, it just shows your improvement to the adcoms.:):)

Hi, I am new to SDN so sorry if this question has already been posted.

I applied kind of "late" as I wanted my PCAT scores back before I forked over the cash for the applications. Anyway, I turned in my PharmCAS on Oct11 and all materials were received by them by the 15 of Oct. How do I know when they have submitted my application to the schools of my choice? They still haven't even calculated my GPA. In the meantime I have submitted by supp. apps... now it is the waiting game... Thanks!

-LabbyRatty

Stats: BS Biochem, GPA 3.75, PCAT 80, research experience, no pharmacy experience

How do I know when they have submitted my application to the schools of my choice?

If they haven't calculated your GPA yet - they have not sumitted your application yet.

How you find out is you log into your application on pharmcas website - go to designated schools and check the status. It will say there if it has or has not been mailed.

It may take up to 5 weeks so you are still within the time frame - although I sumitted on october 30th - and my GPA has already been calculated.

Good luck !

I applied kind of "late" as I wanted my PCAT scores back before I forked over the cash for the applications. Anyway, I turned in my PharmCAS on Oct11 and all materials were received by them by the 15 of Oct. How do I know when they have submitted my application to the schools of my choice? They still haven't even calculated my GPA. In the meantime I have submitted by supp. apps... now it is the waiting game... Thanks!

-LabbyRatty

Stats: BS Biochem, GPA 3.75, PCAT 80, research experience, no pharmacy experience

wow this situation is actually kind of on the late side. I e-submitted with all materials received not too long before you did, and all my materials were mailed out exactly 17 days after e-submitting. It's already been 35 days... I guess technically still within their process time. I would contact them to find out what is going on, that seems a little odd, unless of course there was a massive crush of applications that happened on that day.

Hi, I am a first time applicant to the field of pharmacy. I am currently writing my personal statement for the PharmCAS application. I have a hard time writing it. Is this the only personal statement I am going to write? will I be writing a PS again for each specific school I applied to?

Also, I don't finish my pre-req until the middle of December. That means I can't get a official transcript and complete my application until the middle of December. What do you guys think my chances are? thanks for replying :)

Many schools will require another PS, so do not expect the Pharmcas PS to be your last.

agree - you have seen nothing yet:), be ready for super lengthy supp applications, where each question is like an essay itself, also many schools require separate PS. Good luck !:):):)

supplemental applications are lengthy, but I dont think you need to write another 3500 characters essays for the school you are applying to. I would advise you to be YOURSELF. There is no really a format for a good PS, except you need to write it in a proper grammar (of course). Describe why you want to become a pharmacist. If you cant say why, then I don't know.
agree - you have seen nothing yet:), be ready for super lengthy supp applications, where each question is like an essay itself, also many schools require separate PS. Good luck !:):):)

I think it's late to start applying just now. Most pepole started their application in June. You have to apply early. That is the key. Any chances....I have no idea contact the schools. GOOD LUCK :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's late to start applying just now. Most pepole started their application in June. You have to apply early. That is the key. Any chances....I have no idea contact the schools. GOOD LUCK :)

It might be late for many of the schools, but there are still a few out there that have their deadlines alittle later. If you are a strong applicant, don't be discouraged by the timeline...just try applying and you might get lucky and get an interview. The stronger you are...the better the chances of getting one. Again, be warned...it is a bit late and if you are strapped on cash...a few applications fees can set you back especially when some schools with rolling admission have already made their decisions.

When you go to put in a course, it has a pull-down men which says "Special classification."

Under that menu, one of the options is "Repeated."

Do I select this for the first time I took the class, or for the term in which I took it the second time? Maybe both?

PharmCAS makes this way too ambiguous.

When you go to put in a course, it has a pull-down men which says "Special classification."

Under that menu, one of the options is "Repeated."

Do I select this for the first time I took the class, or for the term in which I took it the second time? Maybe both?

PharmCAS makes this way too ambiguous.

unfortunately i had to figure this out too. i put repeated for the second time i took the class, since i was repeating the course that time.

I put repeated for both. Maybe it doesn't matter. I didn't have a problem.

Just wanted to see how long it took PharmCAS to finish matching your transcripts with the data you entered ("processing time"). They say 5 weeks. I emailed they for a current ETA and they said 4 to 5 weeks.

I wanted to know what everyone esles experience was.
(How many weeks/days for processing?)

Thanks,

Mike

Submitted: October 18th Mailed: November 12th

I just checked my pharmacy designations today to see if an additional school I added in was mailed yet and other the schools that were already mailed it said that on 11/28/2007 (today) with the description that it was revised. Anyone have a clue to what that means?

I did a quick preliminary search on both PharmCAS and here to see if this had been explained, but I couldn't really find an answer.

I just checked my pharmacy designations today to see if an additional school I added in was mailed yet and other the schools that were already mailed it said that on 11/28/2007 (today) with the description that it was revised. Anyone have a clue to what that means?

I did a quick preliminary search on both PharmCAS and here to see if this had been explained, but I couldn't really find an answer.
That means they have sent your application again to the schools. In case you have any updated materials, it will be sent with your updated materials.

it means you took your PCAT in october and they just mailed that out to schools.

haha...i know the PCAT was bad and would have loved to forget about it, but didn't think anyone actually would :)

How long does PharmCAS take to email the reference requests after I pay via credit card? Anyone know? The 2 professors referencing me have not received the emails and I paid several hours ago.

I am freaking out about this. Maybe it's not a big deal... but it has me nervous. My application to OSU is due in a few days.:scared:

Maybe I should just switch to Decaf.

Once you enter them in as References and put in their e-mail addresses and enter that into PharmCAS , it should get sent immediately after. I didn't even have to pay before they sent the e-mails to them. I think there is an option where you can have PharmCAS send the e-mail again also just as a reminder. You should also tell your references to look in their Spam folders because sometimes it gets lost in there. That happened to one of my recommendors.

Submitted: 8/14
Mailed: 8/27

E-submitted Nov. 1. Still waiting on gpa calculations and for them to mail out so 4-5 weeks sounds accurate. Hopefully that means any day now they'll be done processing mine b/c I'm getting antsy. Just my luck though that it will take all of 5 weeks. We'll see.

E-submitted Nov. 1. Still waiting on gpa calculations and for them to mail out so 4-5 weeks sounds accurate. Hopefully that means any day now they'll be done processing mine b/c I'm getting antsy. Just my luck though that it will take all of 5 weeks. We'll see.

I'm assuming that the reason it takes them 4-5 weeks now is because its almost December? The whole process was really quick back in August, it literally took them 2 days two calculate my GPA.

Or you can do what I did and simply delete them from your references and then re-add them. That way a new email will be sent. My pharmacists and professors said the reason they missed it was because it went straight to their junk-mail folder. You may want to tell them this so they can intercept it before it gets deleted automatically.

Oh, and you can add them as references before paying...

Ahh, Ok. Thanks! So now I can REALLY start worrying!

I dont think it really matters. PharmCAS calculates them all anyway, whether they were repeated/academic forgiveness or what. when PharmCAS calculates your GPA, they get rid of most of the special calculations you list anyway. At least that was my experience.

Do they get rid of the "distance learning" option as well?

How long does PharmCAS take to email the reference requests after I pay via credit card? Anyone know? The 2 professors referencing me have not received the emails and I paid several hours ago.

I am freaking out about this. Maybe it's not a big deal... but it has me nervous. My application to OSU is due in a few days.:scared:

Maybe I should just switch to Decaf.
I think it depends on how long you apply for Pharmcas. The best way is to call them and ask for your situation. I called them if I had a question, and they answered me very clear.

Probably a stupid question, but if I am just a pharm tech (simply registered for the state) would I have anything to put down for this section?

Licensure always requires an exam, correct?

Certification requires a class?

So, simply being a pharm tech without any tests/classes/etc, do I leave this section blank?

Thanks!!

yes, if you don't have formal certification then you would leave that section blank and then just list your pharm. tech. experience in work experience.

No that's not correct. If you have a state license and you have a license number, you'd list that in the license and certification section. After that you list the work experience in the appropriate section.

well- i have seen people posting about a licensure examination.

so i take it that is different than just registration? I have a registration number.

All I did was fill out a form and pay the state 20$.

I e-submitted my application today. I had all my schools send my transcripts at the beginning of this month, however, I checked the status of my transcripts on PharmCAS and they still have not received them! Did it take this long for your transcripts to be sent out? The schools I had sent out have a 3-5 day process but my transcript section where it says "date submitted" is all blank? I would think this wouldn't have taken it this long...

Oh, and after reading some of the comments on this post, I suppose my application to the school of my choice (Wayne State) is totally auf'ed since the deadline is on December 3rd. :(

E-Submitted: Oct 31st
All Transcripts Received by 11/04
Awaiting Reply for GPA calculations...

If I don't get accepted this year, do I have to redo everything on PharmCAS for next year?.. Like re-request transcripts and recommendation letters... or can I reuse everything again for next year?

I'm entering my courses onto PharmCAS, so I was hoping you could help me finish mine.

I received college credit in high school because I took a class during my junior year of high school that was eligible to receive credits from the nearby comm college.

On the pharmcas app, would I say that I was a junior (in highschool)? Or do I say I was a freshman (for college) cuz i wasn't in college yet? Did anyone else run into this problem? Also, how do I enter AP credits? :confused:

My references were notified within minutes. An automated email was sent to me letting me know that a reference was requested. I would call PharmCAS - your $65/app has to go somewhere :)

By the way, are you applying to Oregon state? If so, I hope to see you there next year!

For my AP credits they showed up on my Fall semester of my freshmen year. so I just put them like that and also for the grade you should probably select "credit" because theres no grades for AP credit classes

hello, is anyone else having problems logging in to their application at the pharmcas website? Also, I am trying to meat the December 1st deadline for some schools, does that mean i am too late if i send my application, fees, and transcripts today on Dec 1?

any suggestions as to how we can fix the darn thing?? i need to meet a deadline quick!

anybody know?? I want to e-submit soon and I just am not sure!!

Thanks!