PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just surfing the web came up with some interesting stats. here are some highlights.

Service - participant(school)/total - # applicants - avg. applicant per school
AMCAS - 117 / 126 - 34,767 - 297
PharmCAS - 43 / 89 - 13,742 - 319
*people are applying more to pharmacy school than medical school in avg.

70.4% of accepted had no degree. 21.5 % had a degree (BS/BA)

overall accepted GPA 3.45
overall accepted science GPA 3.36
overall accepted non-science GPA 3.58

overall accepted PCAT 78.17 percentile

88.9% had more than 2 years of pre-req.

3135 applications so far filed for 2005 academic year.

When calculating GPA pharmcas will
include: Repeated Coursework, Failed Coursework, Study Abroad
exclude: Foreign Coursework, AP, IB Coursework
GPAs rounded to the hundredths place (e.g., 3.43)
Quarter Hours Multiplied by .667

Courses Excluded from GPAs:
Advanced Placement/CLEP/IB
Audit
Deferred
Incomplete
Pass/Fail
Withdrawn/Withdrawn Passing
Withdrawn Failing

if you want to see pharmcas's detailed report on powerpoint go to www.aacp.org look under for dean section and click July 2004 PharmCAS Session Slides

enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

The bad thing is that less than half of the pharm schools participate in pharmcas, compares to almost all the med schools for amcas. Does anyone know what schools participate in pharmcas for the first time this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
goheel said:
The bad thing is that less than half of the pharm schools participate in pharmcas, compares to almost all the med schools for amcas. Does anyone know what schools participate in pharmcas for the first time this year?

pharmcas just launched its 2nd year. 40 something % participant isnt so bad. give couple more years all the schools probably participate..

70% of accepted students had no degree? I'm guessing in California that 90+% had bachelor degrees.

Microbus out

Ave GPA looks good, Ave PCAT seems a little low IMHO. :thumbup:

kwakster928 said:
overall accepted PCAT 78.17 percentile

Sorry, I dont understand what that means? Like if you average out all the categories it will come out to be 78.17%?

Bruinized said:
Sorry, I dont understand what that means? Like if you average out all the categories it will come out to be 78.17%?
The average composite score was 78.17 percent for students accepted into participating pharmcas schools. Hmm, I thought that I would be able to explain this better.. just the composite score, which is already an average (of sorts) of the other scores.

Thank you, I think I understand what you mean. :)

Does anyone know if you can apply through PharmCAS before you have all of your LORs and before you submit a supplemental application?

CMeaker said:
Does anyone know if you can apply through PharmCAS before you have all of your LORs and before you submit a supplemental application?

I don't see why not... unless they changed it this year. Last year I submitted my PharmCAS application before doing anything else.

Good luck! :luck:

I suggest that you do apply through Pharmcas as soon as you can because it takes time to fill out and time for it to be processes once you submit it online. By the time you have done all of this, you will probably have the LORs and the supp. application ready to turn in!

Is it possible to submit my Pharmcas application, even though they haven't received my high school transcript yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I am in a little bit of a quandry about listing an "extracurricular activity" on the PharmCAS application. I just submitted a paper for publication, but I have yet to be notified of its status. Could someone recommend whether or not I should list the paper as being submitted? Thank you.

If it hasn't been verified yet, I wouldn't say it has been. Instead, I would include the research or lab under extracurricular and under the description, perhaps something like "working on publication." Good luck!

Does anybody know if schools not part of the PharmCAS system are any easier to get into compared to the schools that are?

s13 said:
Does anybody know if schools not part of the PharmCAS system are any easier to get into compared to the schools that are?

Not that they are any easier, but they have lower numbers of applicants since it takes more time to apply to the non-PharmCAS schools. With PharmCAS, all you have to do is pay the fee online basically, and voila - you've applied, minus the supplemental materials. Non-PharmCAS schools have their own application packets, which can be lengthy and time-consuming. Hope this helps.

Apteka said:
The 3 PharmCAS Schools I applied to had, in ADDITION, a Supplementary application that rivalled the regular application for most other schools (10+ pages for one of the schools!) --- not sure if it can be said that PharmCAS Schools are 'less work'- if anything, having gone through the PharmCAS system: it's almost more! (Uploading all of your courses from your transcript can take forever!)

I'm quite aware of this. I've been through both systems. If you noticed, I mentioned:

FutureRxGal said:
With PharmCAS, all you have to do is pay the fee online basically, and voila - you've applied, minus the supplemental materials.

In the non-PharmCAS apps that I've had experience with, some had supplemental applications in addition to the regular paper ones. My courses had to be transcribed onto those in the same manner as how I input the same data into the PharmCAS app, only these were written versus typed. Writing, to me, is a more tedious task than typing. Because of this I am sticking by my above post. :thumbup: :)

FutureRxGal said:
I'm quite aware of this. I've been through both systems. If you noticed, I mentioned:
In the non-PharmCAS apps that I've had experience with, some had supplemental applications in addition to the regular paper ones. My courses had to be transcribed onto those in the same manner as how I input the same data into the PharmCAS app, only these were written versus typed. Writing, to me, is a more tedious task than typing. Because of this I am sticking by my above post. :thumbup: :)

I didn't mean my post to turn into a debate. Hope the OP finds our comments helpful.

Apteka said:
I didn't mean my post to turn into a debate. Hope the OP finds our comments helpful.

I wouldn't call it a debate. :) I was just clarifying my opinion, which is what it is, after all. I, too, hope that the OP finds the different perspectives helpful. :)

Hi i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with this somewhat abstract problem:

I have completed my PharmCAS and now my designated schools are sending me their secondary applications. one of my apps asks me to answer some essay type questions and i'm just wondering how i should go about answering one question in perticular:

"Why do you believe [any Pharmacy School] would provide you with the type of pharmacy education you are seeking?"

How do you go about answerin a question of this type? do you praise the school on its educational history, its opportunity to grow, etc....?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks

nparikh84 said:
Hi i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with this somewhat abstract problem:

I have completed my PharmCAS and now my designated schools are sending me their secondary applications. one of my app asks me answer some essay type questions and i'm just wondering on how i should go about answering one question in perticular:

"Why do you believe [any Pharmacy School] would provide you with the type of pharmacy education you are seeking?"

How do you go about answerin a question of this type? do you praise the school on its educational history, its opportunity to grow, etc....?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks

I would take into consideration the history, but, more importantly, spend some time learning the curriculum, what part of pharmacy do you wish to practice, why is that, and how does the particular school fit into that equation. This is good for preparing for the interview portion of the application process. For me, UCSF had areas such as research and health mgmt and policy pathways, that stressed the different parts of pharmacy. So besides the "ranking" or whatever that is, I was taken with the schooling, what it offered, the location, the faculty, and the opportunity. If you take these things into consideration, it will come through in your essay.

Good luck.

Does Pharmcas send your PCAT score to schools that don't require PCAT? I applied to several schools on Pharmcas, some require and some don't? Does anyone in here know anything about this? Please let me know. Thanks a bunch guysssss!!!

Not sure which schools you've sent Pharmcas apps to, but for those pharmacy schools in CA who don't require the PCAT, their websites say that they evaluate the application based on what they require only, not the PCAT.
& according to the pharmcas website, it doesn't look like they'd send your PCAT score to the school unless the school you are applying to requires it.

thanks again Apteka!! I applied to Albany and Oregon State University. They don't require PCAT. I hope that Pharmcas won't send my PCAT score to those two schools. I'm praying :(

According to its website, UCSF requires an academic update through PharmCAS. Do you know how to do this? I thought UCSF/UCSD will decide the interview invites by the end of this month, and official transcript with fall-semester grades won't be available till mid January ... how do we handle this? Thanks

I don't know about your school, but at my school, you can get your transcript updated after all the finals grades are in, so I'll probably send my updated transcript to Pharmcas in the next few days or so.

Does anyone know if Pharmcas send your grades to the schools as soon as they receive and process your transcript or they gonna wait until certain date to send them?

oh I hate this ... my school won't release transcript with fall-semester grades till January 13 ... so late!!!!!

Hi guys,

I go to the Univerisity of Washington, and I will be applying to pharmacy school next yr. I have some questions with how pharmcas converts your gpa. Our school gives numerical grades (3.4,3.5,3.8..so on), and pharmcas converts it into alpha grades. However, I was wondering how they convert the grades,

-->do they use the conversion key that your transcript provides or do they use the conversion key that is on the pharmcas webpage.

The thing i dont understand is how they could use the transcript key that the UW provids,, becasue it is way different then other colleges, arent they tyring to make a uniform system, i dont see how two individuals could have the same numerical grades but they would convert in two different ways. Isn't Pharmcas trying to make a uniform system in which everyone follows. The dental admission forms follow a uniform system in which everyone follows, i dont see why Pharmcas does not follow the same regimene. Some help please! :D

Remember, you cannot make modifications to courses that were originally reported to PharmCAS as completed. Therefore, if you have received, and entered, partial grades for either the fall 2004 or winter 2004/2005 terms, please contact PharmCAS as soon as possible so that these grades can be added for you. -- PharmCAS

I understand that applicants may modify any courses IP for spring 05. However, if you have also changed your Fall 04 schedule since e-submitting your app back in the summer, does this mean we have to give PharmCAS a call (according to the excerpt I have included)? I know the private schools (USC/UOP/LLU) have a place in their supp for you to fill out your schedule so I can also do that for the privates, but public schools like UCSF/UCSD do not. Thus, PharmCAS is the only way for them to know about my new Fall 04 & Spring 05 schedule.

[EDIT]: I just swapped a Fall 04 course with a Spring 05 course before the drop/add deadline, so nothing will show up on my transcript.

no ... just follow the instructions on how to do an update ... I just did my update for Summer 04, Fall 04 and Spr 05 in which I switched some classes around

faradayampere said:
no ... just follow the instructions on how to do an update ... I just did my update for Summer 04, Fall 04 and Spr 05 in which I switched some classes around

It let you update already? I couldn't find how to do that, in fact, when checking the FAQs, it said the update window wouldn't be activated until January 2005. In fact, here is a cut from their FAQs: "You cannot make edits to your course work section, whether completed or planned / in-progress, until the Academic Update window is open." Is there a trick to it?

jemc2000 said:
It let you update already? I couldn't find how to do that, in fact, when checking the FAQs, it said the update window wouldn't be activated until January 2005. In fact, here is a cut from their FAQs: "You cannot make edits to your course work section, whether completed or planned / in-progress, until the Academic Update window is open." Is there a trick to it?

They opened it early. It'll be opened until March 1. Just open your application and go to the Coursework links. You should be able to edit the fall, spring, and summer fields.

jemc2000 said:

The update window is open. I just submitted all my info last week. If you want to update/add your fall grades to the courses you've entered for the "In progress/planned" section of your coursework file, which would be for classes you've taken this fall, you have to delete the entire "In progress/ planned" section and re-enter all the info + the grades.

Endlesslove, I think they mean all the info you've entered before doing the academic update can no longer be modified. I think the only section you can make changes to is the planned/in progress section of you courses, as well as add another planned/in progress section for the spring term. If I were you, I would definitely give PharmCAS a call. I'm sure if there's any changes you want to make for your completed coursework they would be glad to make them for you. I had to modify some calculations for my GPA, and PharmCAS made those changes for me. In your case, however, they will probably wait until they receive your updated transcripts.

Okay...I think I am screwed. I just mailed my transcript request today to my undergrad school and had them put a rush on it. So they will have it complete on the 3rd. However I just read under the GPA calculations that it may take up to 5 weeks for my gpa to be calculated. The deadline for my #1 school is February 1st! Does it really take 5 weeks for it to be complete? Also, how long does it take for PharmCAS to get my application to the schools?

It took about 2 weeks the first time I submitted my transcript, which was in June. They haven't calculate my "academic update" yet, it shows on my profile that they received my fall grades transcript on dec. 20.

lynzee said:
Okay...I think I am screwed. I just mailed my transcript request today to my undergrad school and had them put a rush on it. So they will have it complete on the 3rd. However I just read under the GPA calculations that it may take up to 5 weeks for my gpa to be calculated. The deadline for my #1 school is February 1st! Does it really take 5 weeks for it to be complete? Also, how long does it take for PharmCAS to get my application to the schools?

It doesn't matter if PharmCAS doesn't update their system until after the school's deadline; what matters is that PharmCAS receives your submitted application and fees prior to then. :)

THANK YOU! I was so worried that I would have to wait another year. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Has anyone else been unable to access PharmCAS for the last few days? I can not seem to ever get on the Web site.

Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem or has heard anything about it.

Thanks

P.S. I am not a pharmacy applicant, but my friend is. :confused:

Your friend should have received an email that has an alternate link to the site.

paintsites said:
Has anyone else been unable to access PharmCAS for the last few days? I can not seem to ever get on the Web site.

Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem or has heard anything about it.

Thanks

At this time the PharmCAS gateway www.pharmcas.org is down for temporary system
maintenance. If you need to access your PharmCAS account, please visit the following
link:

https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants/applyonce.htm

If you have questions regarding your PharmCAS account, please contact our customer
service department at 617-612-2050.

PharmCAS staff

Getting down to the wire, eh? :D

jemc2000 - You can do it!!! Just a few more hours and it will all be over with! :hardy:

paintsites said:

Thanks

The PharmCAS website is up again, if you haven't already checked. I was able to log in about an hour ago.

I'm getting worried and frustrated with PharmCAS!

According to my PharmCAS application status online, my PCAT scores have been received on Dec. 20th by PharmCAS. (It's kinda late because I accidentally sent my scores directly to the schools I'm applying to :mad: ). According to PharmCAS, the scores are sent to the schools automatically/electronically. An admissions counselor at Midwestern - CCP told me that once my PCAT scores are received that information should be posted. So obviously, they haven't received it. I'm thinking, maybe I should be patient..their system might be really busy because of all the applications coming in..but I don't wanna take the risk and wait without bothering them about it...Does anyone know if they wait for the hard copy of the scores from PharmCAS to come in, or do they just view the application online? Should I just persistently keep bothering CCP and/or PharmCAS about it? :confused:

Has anyone had their academic update done by PharmCAS already? If so, how long after they received your updated transcript did they update your coursework section and GPA?