PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you apply in the PharmCas for Offical Transcript, do you tell your school to send it, or you send the transcript? =\ also, if i apply this June, i send the offical transcript right away to pharmcas and keep sending new grades if updated or wait until fall grades and just send 1 offical transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDster said:
When you apply in the PharmCas for Offical Transcript, do you tell your school to send it, or you send the transcript? =\ also, if i apply this June, i send the offical transcript right away to pharmcas and keep sending new grades if updated or wait until fall grades and just send 1 offical transcript?

On the PharmCAS website, there is a set of FAQ's that tell u how to proceed for each section. For transcripts, there is a transcript request form that u take to the registar's office and they send it to PharmCAS. I would suggest sending in your transcript as soon as possible and send updated transcipts when they are ready. That way, when u pay ur money it won't take very long to send in the hard copy to the schools u apply to.

I was wondering does PharmCAS calculate your gpa differently from most traditional colleges/universities?

I looked at the PharmCAS and seems like their grading scheme is somewhat different.. I.E.... 2.8 gpa may be classified as a B avg thru PharmCAS..

What has been your experience with this? Is it to a person's advantage with a low gpa to apply to a school that works with PharmCAS for their application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only thing Pharmcas does differently from traditional college is that they don't count the A+. Beside that, everything is the same. 2.8 GPA is a C+ average.

What I didnt understand was what the AB grade meant. Their system goes A...A-...AB...B+...
What college gives AB grades...Ive never seen it

J00kie33 said:
What I didnt understand was what the AB grade meant. Their system goes A...A-...AB...B+...
What college gives AB grades...Ive never seen it

thats for people who retake classes. if you madea b+ the first time and retook it and got an a-, then your avg according to pharmcas is ab

timbo301 said:
thats for people who retake classes. if you madea b+ the first time and retook it and got an a-, then your avg according to pharmcas is ab

Not exclusively..before my school switched to a +/- grading system, our B+ was considered a 3.5. PharmCAS's AB is equivalent to a 3.5. PharmCAS counted my university B+'s as PharmCAS AB's..which made a huge difference in my GPA calculations. :D

According to Pharmcas, they will have an electronic LOR service. The recommenders will fill out a form online and it will be sent to the schools. They also said ALL Pharmcas schools will use it.

hurray! i am hoping this means spending less = $$$ because like most professional students.. i am getting really broke, really fast! :scared:

I have been looking on the pharmcas website but I can't find the answer to this....

I made a D the first time I took Chem. Retook it and got a B.
I dont know how to enter this on pharmcas. For the D, do I put "R" as the grade? or do I put "D." And what about the credit hours? "0" or "4"??

If anyone else has been in this situation, I'd appreciate your help! :confused:

rxaggie2005 said:
I have been looking on the pharmcas website but I can't find the answer to this....

I made a D the first time I took Chem. Retook it and got a B.
I dont know how to enter this on pharmcas. For the D, do I put "R" as the grade? or do I put "D." And what about the credit hours? "0" or "4"??

If anyone else has been in this situation, I'd appreciate your help! :confused:

From what I remember, enter the original course by semester-with whatever point value awarded. On the retake, enter it by semester and value score--list as a repeated course. I believe this overrides the previous one. I had a couple of do-overs. :)

I am doing early decision and I am now done with PharmCAS, should I go ahead and submit?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If ur done and ur confident that everything is the best that it could be submit it right away...LIKE RIGHT NOW :eek: !!!!!!!

I know everyone says that submitting early will help you. But how much does it reeeeeeally help you??

I submitted in September and thought I was late but it seems I was just in time cuz I was really surprised at getting an interview invite in Oct for USC's November batch. UCSF didn't even start interviewing until Jan so I was probably early for them. But I knew I was late for UOP since they started interviews reeeeal early.

Sooo..... what is considered early, just in time, and late.

I think an early date is anywhere from June to August, Just in time is September, and late would be Oct/Nov.

What do you guys think?

I guess it would depend if the schools you are applying to use rolling admissions. This year, UIC waited until all the applications were in before they reviewed them and offered interviews, while Midwestern uses rolling admissions where it is to your advantage to get your application in early. Don't rush your application and risk making a mistake on it. Take your time (but not too much) and submit your best.

I have over 150 undergraduate credits that are not related to pharmacy school because I have a BS in Computer Science. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was necessary to enter all of these into the coursework section on the PharmCAS site.

I'd actually rather not if I don't have to because since I've gone back to school I've earned all A's and B's for the most part, but when I was younger and pursuing the computer science degree I was more of a party animal I guess you could say. I would rather not talk about those grades if I don't have to.

I'm pretty sure that you have to enter all coursework. I had a Bachelors and a Masters to enter.

Adcom will generally look at trends, such as your grades improving this time around and generally I would say that lower grades in classes that had obviously nothing to do with your prerequisites would not be judged as harshly.

I, too had a bachelors and masters to enter. I still had many prereqs for pharmacy school that were not required for my BS or MAED. When I fininished typing in all of the courses I had taken, I think the total # of classes was 95.

I do wonder, though, there was at least one course per college that I attended that was part of the prereqs that I needed for pharmacy school. But, what if you attended a college and none of the classes that you took there were required for pharmacy school and you did not do well there. Would you still put them on your PharmCAS application?

I am a perfect example of the benefits of applying early. Initially, I only applied to MWU-Glendale. I got an interview back in November, but because I blew the interview, I was put on the alternate list. Because I was interviewed so early, I was at the top of the list. They accepted me on May 13th - the day after the last round of acceptees had to have their money in.

While I was sitting on the alternate list for Midwestern, I found out about Crieghton's online program. I got my supplemental in to them by Feb, but my letters of reccommendation did not make it in until the end of March. I got an interview on April 1st and the interviewer told me on the phone that my interview was great and that he thought that I would do well in an online program. However, I was put on the alternate list there.

When I got accepted to Midwestern, I took myself off of the alternate list at Creighton. I called Creighton and asked them why I was put on the alternate list. They said that by the time I had interviewed, they had accepted too many people!

The moral of the story.... apply early and often (to many schools)!

They get your transcripts anyways and if you are caught not telling a pharm school about a college you attended you may get in quite a bit of trouble. Just enter all schools and classes and keep yourself out of trouble. You want to be trusted with narcotics someday and a bad mark like this would put a big question in my mind about your honesty.
DR

Enter all of the classes you’ve ever taken at any school you’ve ever attended; even summer school etc. Not being truthful on your PharmCAS application can be quite damaging.

drhemi70 said:
They get your transcripts anyways and if you are caught not telling a pharm school about a college you attended you may get in quite a bit of trouble. Just enter all schools and classes and keep yourself out of trouble. You want to be trusted with narcotics someday and a bad mark like this would put a big question in my mind about your honesty.
DR

It wasn't that I wanted to lie, it was that I didn't want to enter 50 extra classes if it wasn't necessary. But since it is I will enter all of them.

Hello everybody,

I have BS, major Microbiology,from UCSB in 1998. I want to apply to some pharmacy schools. Pharmcas website shows that PharmCAS is for first-year professional pharmacy degree applicants only." Does it mean that I can use PharmCAS service? Anybody know?

OtherGuy said:
Hello everybody,

I have BS, major Microbiology,from UCSB in 1998. I want to apply to some pharmacy schools. Pharmcas website shows that PharmCAS is for first-year professional pharmacy degree applicants only." Does it mean that I can use PharmCAS service? Anybody know?

Yes that you be you. It will be your first year in pharmacy school. You have not been in pharmacy school before.

jammocah said:
Yes that you be you. It will be your first year in pharmacy school. You have not been in pharmacy school before.
Thank you for your reply. I just want to be sure because if I am accepted, I will get in third year, not the first year of 6 years of Pharm D, right?

Yes, if you have all your pre-req's done for the schools you will be applying to.

kayjay said:
Yes, if you have all your pre-req's done for the schools you will be applying to.

Third year?? I think I know where you're concerned..

When you mentioned 6 years and you entering in the 3rd year

Year
1 = Year to take pre-reqs (you're not in pharm school yet)
2 = Year to take pre-reqs (you're not in pharm school yet)
3 = 1st year in pharm school
4 = 2nd year in pharm school
5 = 3rd year in pharm school
6 = 4th year in pharm school

That's not how we usually count it. Pharmacy school is only 4 years (some are 3).. this you know..

But you're thinking about the first two years which are supposed to be for taking pre-requisites to even GET into pharm school. Those first two years are NOT considered pharmacy school because you're not even IN pharmacy school yet. So you would count "Year 1" as first year in pharmacy school. Which you would be doing. You dont say you're going into Year 3. You say you're going into Year 1.

I originally was going to apply to schools that didn't require the pcat only, then I thought about taking it.

Now since I couldn't take it until october, that means I wouldn't be able to submit the PharmCAS application until then I guess.

Do you think it would be better to submit the PharmCAS application as soon as possible and only apply to the schools that don't require the pcat, or take the pcat and wait for the results, then apply?

I wonder if you can submit the PharmCAS now and then go back and fill in the scores later.

RLK said:
I wonder if you can submit the PharmCAS now and then go back and fill in the scores later.

In pharmcas you just put the date you are taking the pcat. pcat mails scores to pharmcas, you don't enter them.

jemc2000 said:
In pharmcas you just put the date you are taking the pcat. pcat mails scores to pharmcas, you don't enter them.

oh i see. thanks

RLK,
I did this a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it will still work. You can submit to the schools that don't require the pcat now. Then once you get your scores you can add the schools that want the pcat and pharmcas will send them you app once you pay them for the extra schools.
DR

drhemi70 said:
RLK,
I did this a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it will still work. You can submit to the schools that don't require the pcat now. Then once you get your scores you can add the schools that want the pcat and pharmcas will send them you app once you pay them for the extra schools.
DR

For the 2005 school year, I submitted my pharmCAS application in August with only one school specified and then added another school in January.

Hey,

I'm new to this list but wanted to ask about pharmcas and when most people submit it? I know as soon as possible is best, but what was the ballpark time for most people?

Thanks! :)

jky007 said:
Hey,

I'm new to this list but wanted to ask about pharmcas and when most people submit it? I know as soon as possible is best, but what was the ballpark time for most people?

Thanks! :)

i would say most people submit it around when their earliest school's deadline is, and of course that date varies depending on the school. Submitting it before Sept 1st (or whatever the date is) for the cheaper price is also good, but just keep in mind that you should submit it only when you are completely satisified with your essay and everything else b/c once you click submit, you cannot change anything, except to update grades in january, modify your address, and add/delete schools. btw, are you TV's friend from Berkeley?

GL

endlesslove said:
i would say most people submit it around when their earliest school's deadline is, and of course that date varies depending on the school. Submitting it before Sept 1st (or whatever the date is) for the cheaper price is also good, but just keep in mind that you should submit it only when you are completely satisified with your essay and everything else b/c once you click submit, you cannot change anything, except to update grades in january, modify your address, and add/delete schools. btw, are you TV's friend from Berkeley?

GL

hey thanks. yeh i knew TV from pills.. who's this?

I didn't submit until late November, or maybe even December. I somehow had the idea that they the schools wouldn't look at anything until my pcat score was in. However, several people have said they had interviews before thier scores were in, so don't let that stop you.

Either way, it took much longer than I thought it would take. I must have spent weeks on the personal statement alone. In the end I wrote 5 or 6 versions, took them all apart, and made 1 half way descent final copy.

At the very least, do your self a favor and start writing your statement asap.

I didn't submit my Pharmcas Application until the night before deadline (Nov 1st). I technically had a surgery in July and didn't have the energy to write my personal statement until August. And then it took forever to get LORs back. I encourage people to start getting their LORs early. Profs/Employers/Pharmacists are sooo soo busy. One of my Prof was in the middle of moving their lab (since he's the head of some kinda cancer research center), my Lab manager went to London so it was hard finding him, and then one of my other professor sorta lost all my paper work! So ya, I didn't get those LORs back until end of Oct! :thumbdown:

crazyrice610 said:
I didn't submit my Pharmcas Application until the night before deadline (Nov 1st). I technically had a surgery in July and didn't have the energy to write my personal statement until August. And then it took forever to get LORs back. I encourage people to start getting their LORs early. Profs/Employers/Pharmacists are sooo soo busy. One of my Prof was in the middle of moving their lab (since he's the head of some kinda cancer research center), my Lab manager went to London so it was hard finding him, and then one of my other professor sorta lost all my paper work! So ya, I didn't get those LORs back until end of Oct! :thumbdown:

i also highly recommend getting your PharmCAS PS in by Sept 1st or whatever the early deadline is so you can SAVE SAVE SAVE $$$! It's cheaper by a several $20bills, depending on how many schools you apply to. THen again, do so ONLY if you are 100% satisified with your PS b/c you don't want to submit it just to save money if your PS is CRAP. So...work your tail off and perfect it by 9/1. Saving a little now will go a long way, not to mention you can spend post 9/1 on your supplemental apps. :thumbup:

Jenn, if you want to know who this is, you can PM me. :) I don't reveal my identity over the internet much :) For now maybe the following hints will help you: think PILLS, think SLC, think of that Professional Schools Admissions Seminar the Career Center held in Spring 2005 and think of who one of the female pharm group leaders was (you weren't in my group but spoke with me afterwards). If you think you figured me out, you can PM me with your guess ;)

thanks everyone! :D

Can anyone tell me how to convert my transcript grade to the Pharmcas grade? I looked at all of the directions but don't see a numerical conversion scale. I'm obviously missing something here...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephie said:
Can anyone tell me how to convert my transcript grade to the Pharmcas grade? I looked at all of the directions but don't see a numerical conversion scale. I'm obviously missing something here...

Thanks in advance for any help!

You only need to convert grades if your school gives numerical grades
If your school normally grades with A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- and so forth you dont need to convert anything because those are already in Pharmcas grade format.

but just in case, here is the link to "GRADES" secion on the pharmcas

https://portal.pharmcas.org/gpas.html#Q3

Thanks for the help. I've got it all figured out- It sure takes a long time to type in all those grade, especially since I was a music ed. major and had around twelve classes a semester! :rolleyes:

I was wondering when to submit the supplemental applications for each school after the PharmCAS has been submitted. Do you just do them right after PharmCAS is done?

starsweet said:
I was wondering when to submit the supplemental applications for each school after the PharmCAS has been submitted. Do you just do them right after PharmCAS is done?

usually you wait until you're invited to fill out a supplemental (they will contact you through email or snail mail) and then you send it in. however, it's not a bad idea to get a head start on the essay questions while you wait. the faster you get in your supplementals, the better. good luck! :)

starsweet said:

Yes. Some are invitation only, but the majority aren't. I sent mine out certified mail this morning.

crossjb said:
Yes. Some are invitation only, but the majority aren't. I sent mine out certified mail this morning.

also, alot of schools won't start reviewing your application until they have recieved your supplementary application. so check out their website first.

Another thing to remember when sending out your supplimental application is to put a confirmation on it. That way, you can check when it was received by the school. It also allows you to know that the supplimental app. got to the school and didn't get lost in our mail system.