PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they wait to receive the hard copy. PharmCAS electronically received my PCAT scores on 12/13 and mailed the hard copy on 12/16. Midwestern--Glendale didn't post receiving my scores until 12/27.

Members don't see this ad.

kayjay said:
Has anyone had their academic update done by PharmCAS already? If so, how long after they received your updated transcript did they update your coursework section and GPA?

The PharmCAS states: After PharmCAS receives your up-to-date transcripts, please allow for at least 3 weeks before your changes are verified and hard copies are mailed.

PharmCAS said that they received my updated transcript on 12/27. but they haven't updated my GPA yet. But it's still early.

I submitted my Academic Update almost 3 weeks ago, and still hasnt' seen my GPA updated. Anybody else on the same boat? I don't know why they take so long just to recalculate grades. We do live in the computer age. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call pharmacas to ask them ?

Haven't called yet. That's a good idea though. I'll try calling them.

Great, I just called Pharmcas. Got this respond "Right now, we're working on it. We can't tell you when we're done with it." I wonder how many people work at Pharmcas. :rolleyes:

Mine just got posted today... I was actually shocked to see it up, because it has the date that my update was received as Jan 18th... for PharmCAS, that's like warp speed. I was expecting at least a two week wait. My guess is that they received it earlier than it was posted (the 18th was a week and a half after I sent it from WV), so they had extra time.

Also, I think they calculated mine wrong... they give me a 3.76, whereas my university gives me a 3.78. They must deduct for A-s... bastards....

Mine was posted a while ago, but I have a slightly different problem. When I checked with one of the schools I applied to, they said the most current transcript that seems to be on my file is the one that is not updated. Another school told me that they did receive the updated info. I requested for the school(s) to review my updated info as well since my apps. were complete and reviewed before my Fall grades were posted. I already attended interviews to these schools, and after having requested for them to look at my Fall grades, I'm fearing I'll be placed on "Hold" status until they get my updated info, or even worse, get a rejection. :( I know I might sound a little neurotic, but hey, it's all part of the app. process :p

Yea, I got placed on "Hold" status at Campbell because they want to see my fall semester grades. :rolleyes:

for many a time last semester i felt i should invest in this personalized license (sp?) plate.--

IH8PCAS
:D

Even though none of the drivers-by would understand, I would have made me feel oh-so-much better.
Sorry to here of all your troubles guys, and I'll apologize in advance for my lame joke.

I updated mine at the end of December and had new transcripts sent out. It took a couple of weeks for them to update the site saying they had received my Transcripts, then it took another week to get them updated, just in time for my interview. All in all about 3.5 weeks.

Anyone applied to MWU-CCP? How long does it take for them to update your file after PharmCAS indicates on their website that they have sent your academic update info?

Have you had a interview @ Campbell yet? Pharmcas is a good idea in theory, but in practice it blows, I have called, and even had my lawyer call them. They are extremly apathetic bastards! :mad:

goheel said:
Yea, I got placed on "Hold" status at Campbell because they want to see my fall semester grades. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
rxormd2b said:
Have you had a interview @ Campbell yet? Pharmcas is a good idea in theory, but in practice it blows, I have called, and even had my lawyer call them. They are extremly apathetic bastards! :mad:

Yes, I interviewed at Campbell in October. Pharmcas finally updated my grades today. :)

kwakster928 said:
I was just surfing the web came up with some interesting stats. here are some highlights.

When calculating GPA pharmcas will
include: Repeated Coursework, Failed Coursework, Study Abroad
exclude: Foreign Coursework, AP, IB Coursework
GPAs rounded to the hundredths place (e.g., 3.43)

Do all colleges look at the bottom line of pharmcas' calculated gpa? I have a bunch of irrelevant-to-pharmacy coursework from a long long time ago that has dropped my gpa 1.3 from what I have earned in the last 2 years.

yeah, i was wandering about that too cause i think that most pharmacy schools have their own grade sheet that they use to determine your prereq gpa based on their specific preregs. Also, i think that some schools will take a repeated course over the original as opposed to the average of the two. So, how important is the pharmcas calculated gpa?

plus, don't the schools get your original transcripts too?

64microbus said:
70% of accepted students had no degree? I'm guessing in California that 90+% had bachelor degrees.

Microbus out

Exactly. I was pretty surprised myself when I read this. I would've expected more than half had a degree.

jemc2000 said:
Do all colleges look at the bottom line of pharmcas' calculated gpa? I have a bunch of irrelevant-to-pharmacy coursework from a long long time ago that has dropped my gpa 1.3 from what I have earned in the last 2 years.
I called UF myself a couple months ago and they only use the pre-reqs that they list on their website, excluding the speech grade. They don't count W's but do count all repeated courses. I think I remember you saying you are applying to UF?

64microbus said:
70% of accepted students had no degree? I'm guessing in California that 90+% had bachelor degrees.

Microbus out

I think they should define whether or not having no degree includes students who apply under the assumption that they will be earning their B.S. that Spring or Summer.

Betty'sBeast said:
I called UF myself a couple months ago and they only use the pre-reqs that they list on their website, excluding the speech grade. They don't count W's but do count all repeated courses. I think I remember you saying you are applying to UF?

Yes, I applied to the St. Pete or Orlando sites. Pharmcas finally show my GPA on their site, but they included a bunch of junk from long ago, so my overall gpa is under the limit of what UF even looks at. I've gotten mostly A's this century (literally), but the stuff from last century pulls me down under the minimum requirement of 2.5 in science/math since I did not so well on 5 semesters of Engineering Calculus. So I have pretty much resigned myself to needing to find a different career option. :(

jemc2000 said:
Yes, I applied to the St. Pete or Orlando sites. Pharmcas finally show my GPA on their site, but they included a bunch of junk from long ago, so my overall gpa is under the limit of what UF even looks at. I've gotten mostly A's this century (literally), but the stuff from last century pulls me down under the minimum requirement of 2.5 in science/math since I did not so well on 5 semesters of Engineering Calculus. So I have pretty much resigned myself to needing to find a different career option. :(

I think you should speak to the dean of admissions about your situation- your circumstances are far different from the average student.

jemc2000 said:

I PMed you.

jemc2000 said:

Michele dear, please call the dean of UF Pharm School or the Director of Admissions there TOMORROW and explain to him/her about your VERY UNIQUE circumstances and ask what can be done (I'd be prepared to show them your fabulous GPA that excludes those horrible 5 semesters of Engineering Calculus). Explain to him/her how determined you are and that the ONLY reason why your math/science GPA is below the minimum 2.5 requirement is because of classes that you took x (how many?) years ago when you did NOT know you wanted to pursue pharmacy. If you are rejected pre-interview, I'd be prepared to write a letter of appeal that describes your 5 semesters of Engineering Calc, that you've completed most of your recent pharm prereqs with A's while having to raise 4 kids across the entire age spectrum in addition to being a wife and a stellar volunteer in your community. Best way to do this is to contrast how different (not as great as you currently are) you were when you got those bad grades; pharm schools like to see major improvements--I would think this isn't limited to grades but your overall character and the fact that you can handle multiple responsibilities. Most importantly, please do not give up, seriously. If I've learned anything in undergrad, it's when there's a will, there's a way (no matter how cliche that is :) )

If I dont happen to get in any of the schools I applied to for Fall 2005, can I still use my old pharmcas info/application for Fall 2006? Or do I have to start over and write a new personal statement...etc?

2tran said:
If I dont happen to get in any of the schools I applied to for Fall 2005, can I still use my old pharmcas info/application for Fall 2006? Or do I have to start over and write a new personal statement...etc?

You have to start all over. What I did (I'm a reapplicant) was print out my first PharmCAS app, and I just had that as my reference for the second time around. It saved so much time! I reused my personal statement, although I did edit it a little.

Hey everybody? Does anyone know the deal with pharmcas and transcripts? Do they send copies of transcripts to individual schools? I appreciate your feed back! Thanks!

rhs213 said:
Hey everybody? Does anyone know the deal with pharmcas and transcripts? Do they send copies of transcripts to individual schools? I appreciate your feed back! Thanks!

Most schools require that you send them official copies of your transcripts after you have been accepted. But, for application purposes, you just send them to PharmCAS, and the schools get a copy of your application.

Does anyone know if, when you do your application for the PharmCAS, if it will allow you to use the fee for more than one year? I was planning on just applying to UOP to see if I got in (because they don't use a PCAT score and I do not feel as if I would be completely prepared to take the PCAT in time for Fall 2006 admissions). Then, if I didn't, I was planning on taking the PCAT, graduating as well as apply to more schools. I was wondering what you guys think I should do about the PharmCAS. I want to try to get out of Undergrad asap because they're thinking about raising tuition again. HELP!!!!!! :confused: Thanks!

aznpharmgurl10 said:
Does anyone know if, when you do your application for the PharmCAS, if it will allow you to use the fee for more than one year? I was planning on just applying to UOP to see if I got in (because they don't use a PCAT score and I do not feel as if I would be completely prepared to take the PCAT in time for Fall 2006 admissions). Then, if I didn't, I was planning on taking the PCAT, graduating as well as apply to more schools. I was wondering what you guys think I should do about the PharmCAS. I want to try to get out of Undergrad asap because they're thinking about raising tuition again. HELP!!!!!! :confused: Thanks!

I think you'll have to pay again if you decide to re-apply. PharmCAS starts a new application every year.

Also, there are several other schools that don't require PCAT scores but they might give higher preferences to students with Bachelor degrees.

Goodluck :)

FutureRxGal said:
Nope, you have to pay again. I spent about $500 the first year, and almost $1000 the second year. :thumbup:

dang!!! how many schools did you apply to??

Yep...Pharmcas does not save any information either
So....not only do you have to shell out more money to apply for a second year but you also have to go through the entire Pharmcas application again

Take home message: Save all your essays, any transcript information, and your work experience b/c if you need to apply a 2nd time around you'll have all that handy

Good Luck!

Is it likely that Texas Schools adopt the PHARMCAS Application System? :rolleyes:

I called up several pharmacy schools in CA and they told me pharmcas will have a letter of recommendation form to fill out instead of doing it like last year - each school require their own form to be fill ou. Anyone know more about this?

Fushi.tarazu said:
I called up several pharmacy schools in CA and they told me pharmcas will have a letter of recommendation form to fill out instead of doing it like last year - each school require their own form to be fill ou. Anyone know more about this?

wow!! that would make life a thousand times easier!!! now all that needs to happen is schools waive the supplemental app fee (and app. all together!!) i applied to 10 schools- this was no easy task!!!

exactly.... the move to one common LOR form would remove a HUGE headache out of the whole process. I only applied to 3 schools and still making sure my different recommenders followed exactly what each school wanted was a chore, I can only imagine what it must be like for 10 schools........

Greetings to All! This question may be directed more towards those that have already used PharmCAS and may have a better understanding of how the system actually works.

Okay, lemme break down my situation first (there's always a story isn't there?):

I did my schooling thru high school in Illinois. When I first graduated high school, I left to go out East for school and I spent several semesters at one particular school where my experiences were just horrible. While there, I enrolled in Calculus two diff semesters but didnt go to class and never dropped (didnt quite catch on to how I had to drop the class) and ended up with a D each time. Anyways, I left the school by my own will and came back to Illinois where I plowed through those classes and most of the other prepharm classes at a community college and wound up with a 3.5 GPA cumulative (AS, Computer Science). Then I transferred to a 4 year institution to get the holY B.S Degree in Computer Science and spent the next two yeas taking programming and theory courses. My question about PharmCAS is this- will they take into consideration ALL the courses that I have ever taken (I notice they want you to list every course you have ever taken in college....however unrelated....how dumb is that?) when tabulating my GPA or will they narrow it down in my case to only the applicable ones?

I graduated last semester but am using the next year and a half to complete my prepharm prerequisites (A&P, Orgo, BIo,Micro) and am just wondering how competitive I will be in relation to other students (will my GPA be a sum compositive of everything or just the applicable courses?).

Thanks for the input & I hope this made some sense?

they'll want everything - full disclosure

Fushi.tarazu said:

Where do you find the LOR form and the Statement of Purpose form/questions on Pharmcas.org?

I cant seem to create an account or find any of the forms or info. And I need to get a LOR from a prof that is leaving in 1 or 2 months so I dont kno what to have him fill out.

J00kie33 said:
Where do you find the LOR form and the Statement of Purpose form/questions on Pharmcas.org?

I cant seem to create an account or find any of the forms or info. And I need to get a LOR from a prof that is leaving in 1 or 2 months so I dont kno what to have him fill out.

I dont think PharmCAS go live again until June. Thats how it was last year.

J00kie33 said:

call pharmCAS at their 1-800 # (it's on the website) and talk to someone directly

This is a very exciting news. However, I can imagine that the competition for next year (or this coming year??) will be much much higher. :(

gablet said:
call pharmCAS at their 1-800 # (it's on the website) and talk to someone directly

I dont think they have a 1-800 number, all I found was the 1 (617) number and its completely useless. You call and they put you on hold for 10 seconds and then transfer you to a voice mailbox line.

mahishrimp said:
This is a very exciting news. However, I can imagine that the competition for next year (or this coming year??) will be much much higher. :(
I imagine that everyone will apply to more schools than last year, but I don't think the number of people in the entire applicant pool will be significantly higher as a result of this change. You might have more difficulty getting into your first choice school, and you might have a higher chance of being waitlisted, but I don't believe that this will have too much of an influence on your chances of getting into pharmacy school in general. (That is, unless you're only applying to one of the most popular schools out there!)