PharmCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

If your nervous about the GPA time wait go to this thread, you're not alone! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559007&page=2

And don't let people make you feel bad for worrying.

(Patients worry...good doctors know how to handle these fears respectfully!!)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559007&page=2

Members don't see this ad.

You have missed the point. There is nothing WRONG with PharmCas and there is no discussion needed. PharmCas hasn't calculated your GPA yet because you submitted so late in the cycle. There are plenty of people ahead of you who submitted before you did. You must wait your turn, this is what a que is. When you wait in line for a ride at Disneyland do you ask what's wrong with the theme park?

I totally agree with you. Haha, I learned my lesson from last year, so I decided to send in my app early in July of this year. I only had to wait 2 days for them to calculate my GPA this time around, since I had to wait for the entire 5 weeks last year in October. I know it's easier said than done because we would then be caught up with our classes, studying for midterms, research projects, etc...

Ok, so i have a bunch of AP credits that i got credit for in my university. On the PharmCAS app, would i list the grade as "CR (Credit" or P "Pass"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how they are listed on your university transcript. Like you, I got transfer credit for all of my AP classes from my university, so I entered them all just exactly as they appeared on my transcript, with the appropriate number of credits I received for each, and I selected "CR" for "credit" for all of them. Even if they didn't apply directly to a class at the university, if the listed course prefix and number was something weird like "ENGG 10XX", and if that's what it said on the transcript, that's exactly what I entered into PharmCAS. For each entry, under the drop-down menu for a test grade (can't remember exactly what it was called) I put the grade I got on the actual AP exam.

This seems to have worked just fine, because I e-submitted my app on Oct. 22 and my GPA was calculated Nov. 3rd, and PharmCAS didn't contact me about any problems or clarifications. Hope this helps.

Hmm, I didn't list any of my AP credit scores on PharmCAS.. I took 7 in high school, and only one of them transferred as a class and the rest were elective units.

I hope it's okay I didn't........

did everyone submit all their AP credits?

I thought Pharmcas send out the apps on Mondays.. its the first Monday after my GPA was calculated and the status still says Not Mailed.. not being impatient.. just curious. :)

well thats the thing, i'm not sure, on my transcript it lists for example:

Econ 102 Microeconomic principles 3.00 PS

does that mean pass or what?

I e-submitted mine on 10/28 and my gpa is calculated today, 11/10. So it took approximately 2 weeks for me as well.

I thought Pharmcas send out the apps on Mondays.. its the first Monday after my GPA was calculated and the status still says Not Mailed.. not being impatient.. just curious. :)

I've wondered about this too. I submitted on 10/22, gpa was calculated on 11/3, and I checked my status today and it said "mailed" for all of my school designations. Maybe because 11/3 was last Monday, it was early enough in the week for them to send it out this Monday? Since one of your earlier posts indicates your gpa was calculated 11/6, and considering 11/6 was last Thursday...makes me think that maybe it depends on when during the week your gpa is calculated, whether they will send it out the very next Monday. Just a guess.

Last edited:
I've wondered about this too. I submitted on 10/22, gpa was calculated on 11/3, and I checked my status today and it said "mailed" for all of my school designations. Maybe because 11/3 was last Monday, it was early enough in the week for them to send it out this Monday? Since one of your earlier posts indicates your gpa was calculated 11/6, and considering 11/6 was last Thursday...makes me think that maybe it depends on when during the week your gpa is calculated, whether they will send it out the very next Monday. Just a guess.

Yea, I think it depends on when during the week your GPA is calculated and when you paid for the designated schools too. I would say Wednesday is the cut off day. I actually tested this out in the past, so that is their pattern.

It took a little less than 2 weeks for PharmCAS to calculate my GPA. I submitted 10/29 and it was verified today (11/11)

Just as I figured, my pharmcas gpa was calculated today. It was actually a few hundredths higher than what I had expected, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Submitted 10/29 at about 11 pm at night
GPA Calculated 11/11.

Got her done and they will mail in in the next mail cycle, yay!!!!

I e-submitted mine on 11/3 and it still has not been verified. I am kind of upset with one of my professors taking nearly two months to finish his letter of recommendation and I don't even think it was going to be that great anyways because he didn't even know my name when I came to his office (I took two ochem classes with him about 2 years ago).

Now I can relate to how some of the pharmacy customers feel when I tell them there is going to be a long wait for their prescriptions...

I wonder if calling them helps at all? ..kind of like how complaining at the pharmacy can sometimes help move your prescription ahead of the others lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if calling them helps at all? ..kind of like how complaining at the pharmacy can sometimes help move your prescription ahead of the others lol...

I'm having trouble getting my LOR people to wrap things up as well. I think a good idea would be to shoot them an email saying "Just checking in to make sure you got an email from PharmCAS (maybe a note about checking spam folders) and if you have any questions about anything, please let me know" and then give a reminder about the deadline. Or send along an "updated" copy of a resume for them to look at, or something. Just to remind them that you exist and they're supposed to be writing you a letter. :rolleyes:

OR, probably even better would be to put a thank you card in the prof's mailbox. I bet that would encourage him/her to finish it up.

Hey, lets say, that I am currently applying to schools A, B, and C with pharmCAS. I have all the necessary materials to apply. Now lets say i also want to apply to school D, which requires one more recommendation than i currently have. The deadline for school D is a few months later than the deadline for schools A, B, and C. When i submit my pharmCAS app, should i include school D, then fill in the last recommendation later? Or should I just leave school D off my application, then apply again later?

Really depends on if school D is a rolling admissions school or not. If they are, I would do everything I could to get the application processed ASAP. If they are not, you could add it on at any point before their deadline. If you apply to D now, PharmCAS will go ahead and send them your application and update your application with them once your 4th reference has been submitted.

Hi, is it possible to submit your pharmcas without all our letters of recommendation? Because some of my LOR's are SLOW and so far, I've only gotten 1 LOR in. Also, what is a polite way of asking for the LOR's to submit their letters asap?

yes, you can submit now and that is what I would recommend...the sooner the better. When PharmCAS receives your LORs, they will forward them to the schools you applied to.

Hi, is it possible to submit your pharmcas without all our letters of recommendation? Because some of my LOR's are SLOW and so far, I've only gotten 1 LOR in. Also, what is a polite way of asking for the LOR's to submit their letters asap?

"hello Dr _____
I just wanted to send you a friendly reminder that I am waiting for your response. I've already sent my application in for processing so the sooner you can send the letter in the better! I understand you're busy so i wanted to thank you etc etc

I've sent like 5 of these to my LORS because it's been 2 months and still nothing from them :/

If I had a dollar for every time this was asked...

I submitted mine last saturday ....i've been so anxious and worried...hopefully we all get it soon....

i submitted mine in the first of nov,...but not calculated yet..i am soo waitinggg :mad:

Just as I figured, my pharmcas gpa was calculated today. It was actually a few hundredths higher than what I had expected, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Submitted 10/29 at about 11 pm at night
GPA Calculated 11/11.

Got her done and they will mail in in the next mail cycle, yay!!!!

You're one of the lucky ones! It usually drops a few hundredths for most people.

i submitted mine in the first of nov,...but not calculated yet..i am soo waitinggg :mad:

At least it probably won't take 5 weeks like their disclaimer says. After they calculate you're GPA you have to wait again for the next mailing which I believe is every Monday, so just try and relax.

thanks man..i am trying to relax but i just can not wait untill i see my GPA...and mailed to my schools..this waiting game kills me:scared:

quick question:

so for pharmcas to calculate gpa, it has to be submitted first, right?

like the app, personal statement, etc. including LoRs? or can i just send in the transcripts earlier?

quick question:

so for pharmcas to calculate gpa, it has to be submitted first, right?

like the app, personal statement, etc. including LoRs? or can i just send in the transcripts earlier?

yes!!! you have to e-submit your application before they can calculate your GPA, but before you do so, make sure you have all your personal statement, lors and transcripts sent to pharmcas.

once you E-submit, you can't change your personal statement and i don't think you can add more lors, if you apply to a school that requires 3 lors but you only have two on your pharmcas transcript then the school will notify you to send one directly to the them or else your application will not be processed.

You better get used to the waiting. This is only the beginning of a long app process! Just to let you know, I submitted my app last year on Oct 30th and it took about a month to get my GPA calculated.

PharmCAS says "The Academic Update window will open on December 15, 2008, following the completion of the fall 2008 term, and close on February 2, 2009. "
I have two planned courses in Sping 2009 term. How can I add them into PharmCAS? Will the school accept the planned courses?
Thanks!

Submitted mine on 11/1/08 and the GPA's were calculated today. I hope they send them out today as well. :D

You can't. You have to send your official transcript directly to the schools. Though by then you probably won't need to unless you get accepted.

Directly from Pharmcas:

Q: What is Academic Update?
A: Academic Update is a window of time that allows you to update grades on any coursework completed since you originally e-submitted your application. You can only update the coursework section one time when the Academic Update is open. You are not allowed to update your course history at any other time during the admissions cycle. When the Academic Update window is opened, you can only add grades for courses taken during the summer and fall 2008 terms. You can NOT add courses taken in previous years.

Q: When does the Academic Update window open?
A: Academic Update is open from December 15, 2008 through February 2, 2009. Applicants must be E-Submitted BEFORE January 15, 2009 to be considered for an Academic Update.

Q: What do I do if my fall grades are already entered as complete?
A: This means that your fall transcript arrived at PharmCAS before your application was mailed and the PharmCAS staff has already entered the data for you. There is no need for you to enter the grades again.

finally, they calculated my GPA today..lower than what i expected :mad:

I expected my GPA is 4.0. However, Pharmcas calculated as 3.4!!! what the heck!

I am really confused. I thought you said you were already accepted into a pharmacy school...

I am international student just like you. I have been in pre-pharmacy for 3 years, and recently be admitted to the school of pharmacy. My plan is try to finish pre-prequisites as soon as possible, take the Pcat, and then keep applying until you get in. Certainly, you want to continue your education as back up plan until you get in.

Ok, it is not a question whether I get i or not, it's " I will get in". Have confidence on yourself. Because of my confidence on myself, I got in this year, second time apply.

Why is your gpa being calculated and why are you planning on taking the pcat if you're already accepted? Just curious.

Why is your gpa being calculated and why are you planning on taking the pcat if you're already accepted? Just curious.

I think 5minutes is just giving advices to that person by telling him or her to take the PCAT.

i submitted my pharmcas on nov 3rd. hasn't went through yet. just playing the waiting game. i figure tons of people submitted their pharmcas in the beginning of november too.

How long does it take for Pharmcas to mail off your infor. to schools? I submitted mine this Sunday. I applied to 2 schools.

I submitted mine on 11/3 and still have not been checked. I think it may take longer for me because I had to submit four different transcripts.

I called them and they didn't even ask for my name they just said it's in a queue line and I have to wait up to five weeks, very rude...

How long does it take for Pharmcas to mail off your infor. to schools? I submitted mine this Sunday. I applied to 2 schools.

it took pharmcas 1-2 weeks to mail my info to the schools. i applied really early in August. If you did it recently, might be longer because they only do it weekly.... and, there's a lot more load of applications now than in August. So, keep watch on your account/email.

submitted mine 11/5 got calculated today 11/19 !!!! lower than i expected tho:(

Like most things, you are paying for CONVENIENCE. Imagine if there was no PharmCAS and you wanted to apply to 12 schools, all of which require the PCAT.

You would have to pay for 12 score reports, fill out 12 different applications, send 12 transcripts, write your "why I want to be a pharmacist essay" 12 times, and mail 36 letters of recommendation. This is assuming that they all require the same things. How much do you think that will cost?

The hassle would be more than now, because most of the time you're sending the same information over and over. With PharmCAS, you send your basic information, LORs, transcripts, essays, and PCAT scores to one central location, and they send it to whomever you designate, as many times as you wish. That way, you don't waste your time over redundant stuff.

This thread is over 3 years old.

I don't think they charge anything to start an application. At least I don't remember any startup fee.

I think there was a base fee of $140 then +$40 for each school.

Mmmm yes this is true. Forgot about that. Thank you kind sir.

Question.

If I submit my Pharmcas App before a school's deadline (December 1st for Midwestern University-Glendale ), but they take 2-5 weeks to calculate the GPA, does my application not count as being in before the deadline for that school?