Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the quick reply, yes i am debating whether or not to study the drugs (generic, uses, interactions, etc) because from what i've heard it is only a small portion of the test relative to all the other stuff. In your opinion would i be able to pass just studying the math and law and only knowing a little bit about drugs?

correct

Members don't see this ad.

ok..well it seems to be the consensus that math and law make up the bulk of this exam...but what exactly does the "law" portion include?

I bought the "The Pharmacy Technician" third edition book but it doesn't include a specific law section. It has basic math, financial issues, formulations, inventory, drugs, etc.

Are there any books out there which have a comprehensive law review, I hear that Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Cert. Exam Review and The Mosby's review are quite popular. Anyone have experience with these? thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Noah's book really cover all the math and law you need to know for the exam? I covered all of that, but I didn't know how to do the problem AStudentDoctor put up earlier. I thought you would use the alligation technique, but then I realized in the problem you had to find the grams to mix into 360 grams to get 1%. Noah's book teaches something slightly different...he teaches how to find the grams of each compound you are mixing with a total amount already in mind. I'm guessing a problem like that won't be on the exam.

Also, can someone explain how PTCB registration works? If I register and pay do I get to pick which day I want to take the test?

ok..well it seems to be the consensus that math and law make up the bulk of this exam...but what exactly does the "law" portion include?

I bought the "The Pharmacy Technician" third edition book but it doesn't include a specific law section. It has basic math, financial issues, formulations, inventory, drugs, etc.

Are there any books out there which have a comprehensive law review, I hear that Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Cert. Exam Review and The Mosby's review are quite popular. Anyone have experience with these? thanks again

I used Delmar's book and I ABSOLUTELY hated it. It has so many typos and everything especially if this is your first time semi-learning it, it's a HORRIBLE resource!

PTCB is pretty easy, but the drug portion is nearly impossible if you dont have pharm. experience. The math is very easy, its basically ratios and simple algebra.

I had a question about licensure. So far, i only have certification, how do i obtain the license for a technician?

Regarding the math portion: the only new technique I learned was regarding allegation, which was just a standard plug and chug formula.

Regarding licensure: are you talking about your state license? In that case, you should look up your state's Board of Pharmacy and see what they say. For Texas, I just had to fill out an online form IIRC.

HELLO,
I am rikky shah, i just want to know which books are useful for this exam...
thank you

Can someone tell me what kind of certificate/etc is given by the Board and by the state after successful completion of the PTCB Exam?

I just spoke with another pharmacist working at Longs and he told me in order for them to hire someone who wants to be a PT, the person must hold a certification that shows he/she's completed some kind of program. :confused: :confused:

Hey - That might be a Long's only rule, because to become a CphT in the eyes of the California Board of Pharmacy, you only need to present your exam results, and then you're branded CphT and can get a job, I thought, anywhere!

I've NEVER been asked if I completed a program prior to employment or even an interview, and I have interviewed at all the big names in Northern California, except Long's and Target.

So, for the STATE, you ONLY need to be licensed as a Certified Tech... but for Long's... I don't know. Maybe ask another Pharmacist - She could've been wrong.

HELLO,
I am rikky shah, i just want to know which books are useful for this exam...
thank you

Hey there Rikky,

The Mosby's book, available through Amazon or at B&N and Borders, was perfect for me and lots of fellow SDNers. It'll take you through the 3 portions of the PTCE (Assisting the Pharmacist, etc) and take you from unprepared to prepared in a couple of days, definitely enough to go >600/900 on the exam.

Can someone tell me what kind of certificate/etc is given by the Board and by the state after successful completion of the PTCB Exam?

I just spoke with another pharmacist working at Longs and he told me in order for them to hire someone who wants to be a PT, the person must hold a certification that shows he/she's completed some kind of program. :confused: :confused:

Shikamaru: Sorry, this reply may be a little too late. I used to work as a pharm tech at a Longs in San Jose, and the pharmacy manager never had complaints that I never completed a program (I studied some book and passed the PTCB exam instead). Oh and I also didn't have any pharmacy experience either =P

I don't know if there's a particular name for the certificate (Pharmacy Technician Certifcation Board Certificate?)--you just get it in the mail after you pass the exam. From what I understand, after you pass the exam, yes, you become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. After that, you can go through the licensing process and become a licensed pharmacy technician. When I was hired as a pharm tech a year ago, Longs had a policy where they only hired licensed pharmacy technicians.

Now that CVS bought out Longs, the policies may have changed though. Send me a private message if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone earlier mentioned, pass the ptcb, register for a license in CA and you'll then be a pharm tech, as i just did. only problem is, you're highly unlikely to find a job. i've been searching for months now and they all want experience so it's up to you and "who" you know i suppose. if you went with those ridiculous programs that cost $11K then you're almost guaranteed a foot in the door, not a pharm tech job, but a foot in the door.

and for those studying, really, it's not bad at all. take a couple of the practice mosby exams (6 of them) and study your abbreviations and you've covered about 75% of the material.

hey Passion4Sci,
thank you for reply..I am an international student here so can you give me some information about the This exam..as you said that after read this book i can easily get above 600 marks so can you say me that how much marks we need to pass this exam and how many questions asked in this exam..i have found this Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination by James J. Mizner BS MBA RPh (Paperback - April 16, 2009) book and Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination (Mosby's Review Series) by James J. Mizner BS MBA RPh (Paperback - Oct 25, 2005).. so which book you refer me..nice talking to you..
thank you

I used the older book printed in 2005, and did just fine... I didn't even know Mizner had a new one out.

I used the "Mosby's Review Series" one, and I assume it's a good deal more inexpensive than the new one.

Please fill me in a bit...

So I know that you can become licensed in CA by just passing the exam,

BUT CAN YOU ACTUALLY GET A PHARMACY TECH JOB IN CALIFORNIA *WITHOUT* GOING THROUGH SOME PROGRAM?

I'm asking because after searching for so long, I am still not clear on that. I also talked to one of the pharmacists who work at my local Longs and he told me that to become a pharmacy technician here, I'd need to go through some program (like at a JC or something)...

I don't want to just study for the exam on my own, pass it, and then find out I can't get hired. A license is next to useless if I can't get a job with it.

I became a tech by taking PTCB and then using my certification to apply for my license. when i was hired by Kaiser, i had to do their 8 week tech training, but that isn't required for my license, that's just kaiser's little thing.

BUT, i heard that the rules changed recently, so that we can no longer jump through the PTCB loophole to get the license. i don't know if this is true. or perhaps a college degree is required along with that now?

thank you. i have ordered this book. but tell me this only book is enough for this exaam or i need any other book or reference besides this. how much score should i need to pass this exam? and i also want to know about the inpatient pharmacy technician..because i found on website that inpatient pharmacy tech get 72000+ and licence pharmacy tech in retail get 38000+..so please tell me about the inpatient pharmacy tech and for that thiss exam is also required?
thanks

thank you. i have ordered this book. but tell me this only book is enough for this exaam or i need any other book or reference besides this. how much score should i need to pass this exam? and i also want to know about the inpatient pharmacy technician..because i found on website that inpatient pharmacy tech get 72000+ and licence pharmacy tech in retail get 38000+..so please tell me about the inpatient pharmacy tech and for that thiss exam is also required?
thanks

That's the only book you should need, yep! The passing score is 600/900, so you essentially must fail an entire section to not get your cert.

There really is no difference between an "inpatient" CphT and a retail CphT - Just where you work. I volunteer at a hospital (Crossing my fingers for some day being promoted to actually working there for cash money) and I work in retail, using the same CphT. None of the CphTs at my hospital make anywhere CLOSE to $70,000 except the "senior tech" who has been there for almost 21 years now.

That's the only book you should need, yep! The passing score is 600/900, so you essentially must fail an entire section to not get your cert.

There really is no difference between an "inpatient" CphT and a retail CphT - Just where you work. I volunteer at a hospital (Crossing my fingers for some day being promoted to actually working there for cash money) and I work in retail, using the same CphT. None of the CphTs at my hospital make anywhere CLOSE to $70,000 except the "senior tech" who has been there for almost 21 years now.

so what is the salary of the pharmacy technician in retail and salary who works in hospital? i dont have any kind of experience in this field but ya actually I did pharmacy in India...and I also heard that different state has different rules so from where I should know about that?
tahnks

so what is the salary of the pharmacy technician in retail and salary who works in hospital? i dont have any kind of experience in this field but ya actually I did pharmacy in India...and I also heard that different state has different rules so from where I should know about that?
tahnks

The pay is virtually the same - You may see a $2 or $3/hr premium for a hospital tech spot, but I wouldn't count on it. You can expect between 10 and 14 bucks an hour depending on your geographic region, experience, etc.

States do have different rules. I am sure the PTCB.Org website will have this information for you in mass, but if you are like me and enjoy doing things the hard way, you can go to the Board of Pharmacy website for each state you're likely to be working in and it will be advertised there.

Good luck!

The pay is virtually the same - You may see a $2 or $3/hr premium for a hospital tech spot, but I wouldn't count on it. You can expect between 10 and 14 bucks an hour depending on your geographic region, experience, etc.

States do have different rules. I am sure the PTCB.Org website will have this information for you in mass, but if you are like me and enjoy doing things the hard way, you can go to the Board of Pharmacy website for each state you're likely to be working in and it will be advertised there.

Good luck!

Thanks...how long this exam??

I finally purchased the Mosby's review book for PTCB examination. This thing is LONG! I've never done self-study before, are there any pointers? I'm not sure if 100% of this book should be studied, because it's unlikely that all of the material is going to be on the PTCB exam.

Looking at the list of drug names, I'm kind of scared. That's A LOT of flash cards if I need to memorize all of them.

I finally purchased the Mosby's review book for PTCB examination. This thing is LONG! I've never done self-study before, are there any pointers? I'm not sure if 100% of this book should be studied, because it's unlikely that all of the material is going to be on the PTCB exam.

Looking at the list of drug names, I'm kind of scared. That's A LOT of flash cards if I need to memorize all of them.

Just be mostly familiar with all of the material, take the practice exams, and you'll be fine.

If you REALLY wonder if you know what you're doing, go to the PTCB.org site, slap down $29 and take a full-length, realistic practice exam that was, IME, almost identical to the real deal.

Better get used to knowing AT LEAST Top 200 drugs backward and forward.

Just be mostly familiar with all of the material, take the practice exams, and you'll be fine.

If you REALLY wonder if you know what you're doing, go to the PTCB.org site, slap down $29 and take a full-length, realistic practice exam that was, IME, almost identical to the real deal.

I have a same problem, the other portion is so muh difficult beause I have alredy ompleted my pharmay but th main onfusion about the brand name and generi name so what i have to do for that?
thanks

Please tell me about the generic name and brand name...its so many in the book..please i am so confused

Please tell me about the generic name and brand name...its so many in the book..please i am so confused

Well, you'll need to know things like

Lorazepam = Ativan
Fluoxetine = Prozac
Diazepam = Valium

I mean, that's BASIC knowledge that you'll need in a pharmacy. Generics, in my pharmacy, are bought on a 10 to 1 basis compared to their trade name counterpart, where applicable.

In short, memorize them all. It may not be necessary for the PTCE, but you will surely need them in the pharmacy.

honestly i don't remember there being that many generic/brands on the exam... it was some calculations, that's for sure, and interpreting/reading prescriptions and sigs i believe, and some pharmacy law... i dunno, a bit of everything. you'll do fine if you just study out of a book. that's what i did:

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacy-Tech...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247645224&sr=8-1

this book (except mine is 2nd ed, purple one) + the workbook that supplements it. has a lot of practice q's, and covers everything. all i did was study that, and i had volunteered in 2 pharmacies for a year or two at the time i took the test. the medical terminology wasn't on the test at all though, that was like ch4 in the book.

i think the only way you get paid more as a tech is if you're in a union, like a lot of the big hospitals are, including kaiser, which is where i work. retail techs get like 10-13 dollars i think? i've shopped around at like costco, target, walgreens, longs drugs, and i know people who work at a few of those, and that's about what the clerks and techs get paid. so yeah. i dunno about that $70k thing, sorry!

inpatient techs might be $1-2 more an hour, that's it. and some places pay certified techs a tiny differential, not much.

I took the PTCE last month and there aren't enough 'generic-brand name' questions to effect your score if you don't know them. I took the exam without having any pharmacy experience and scored a 798/900. It's really not as bad as you might think.

My best advice would be to buy Mosby's book and go through EVERY practice exam on the CD. Even if you score 50's-60's on the practice exams, they will give you a good idea of what the exam format is. In my opinion the Mosby questions are a little bit harder than the exam questions.

Im studying for the exam which im going to take in about one month. im great on the math part, and im working on memorizing the law parts. i just don't know if i need to memorize the trade/generics, or just go off of the experience i already have in retail. i went through the APhA ptcb math book and have Mosby's, so i just want to know if this is enough.

thanks

Im studying for the exam which im going to take in about one month. im great on the math part, and im working on memorizing the law parts. i just don't know if i need to memorize the trade/generics, or just go off of the experience i already have in retail. i went through the APhA ptcb math book and have Mosby's, so i just want to know if this is enough.

thanks

If you've already been in a retail pharmacy, you'll know enough of the stuff to pass, by far.

To me, the hardest part of pharmacy law was the stupid DEA numbers. Add the 1st, 3rd, and 5th digit, then put them in your mouth, chew them for 14.2 seconds(no longer, no shorter), spit them out into a bucket 13.55932" in diameter, then call the FBI.

Passing score is 650/900, you'll be fine. People have walked into that exam with way less prep and have passed. A general knowledge of generic/brand will be sufficient, and the most important part of that really is on questions like:

Which of the following would be prescribed for X condition:
a. drug A
b. drug B
c. drug C
d. drug D

I'm sure you'll do great with the experience/knowledge you're going into it with.

it's very easy, I studied 1 day in total, and passed with 0 pharmacy experience. I am sure i got all the drug names (brand/generic) wrong, but that is what all those easy math problems are for.

Just curious, does anyone know of anyone who got moved up for cashier up front to pharm tech (at CVS or Walgreens)? Especially if they were certified.

Just curious, does anyone know of anyone who got moved up for cashier up front to pharm tech (at CVS or Walgreens)? Especially if they were certified.

I moved from cashier to cashier/tech. I did the majority of the insurance claims, pill counting, and dispensing-machine-fixing for the pharmacy I was at (not certified until later in the job). PM me if you have any specific quetsions. Granted, this was 2005-2006 when I was an undergrad.

It was a piece of cake. Just freshen up on your law and hospital policies/procedures. There was a little math in there, but it wasn't difficult. I received an 840 out of 900 on my first try. Good luck!

I agree with the other response. I studied just 2 weeks and miraculously passed the PTCB exam. I studied from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0914373463 it was the shortest book I could find that seemed most legit.

Studied the sig codes, laws, and math thoroughly. I crammed all else

The test is easy. I didn't study at all and I passed. At the time I had 3 years of work experience at Caremark (in the call center) so I knew the drugs and sig abbreviations.

It's like a catch 22 right now..you can't get a pharmacy technician job without experience but paying for pharmacy technician school is pointless because I want to be a pharmacist.
More and more Colleges of Pharmacy are putting an emphasis on experience.
Is anyone besides me experiencing this?

I get the blow off when I call, the firm "no's" and "We'll call you"

Maybe this is a sign that I'm not meant for pharmacy...I really want to be a pharmacist but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and I just began.

I know exactly how you feel... I feel the exact same way and wonder if being a pharmacist is even worth it anymore. Try finding a job volunteering in a pharmacy at a local hospital or something.

You don't need to go to school to become a tech. Just read a pharmacy technician book and take the national exam (PTCB). That's pretty quick and easy.

You don't need to go to school to become a tech. Just read a pharmacy technician book and take the national exam (PTCB). That's pretty quick and easy.

I did. I am PTCB Certified. But Now Finding a job is the hard part. Everyone wants someone who has experience.

I know exactly how you feel... I feel the exact same way and wonder if being a pharmacist is even worth it anymore. Try finding a job volunteering in a pharmacy at a local hospital or something.

I wish I could but I have to work to put myself through school this semester. I don't have the money to just volunteer and not work.

It might just be a waiting game (until the pharmacy is desperate enough). I was certified and had NO previous experience in a pharmacy, or anything remotely close. I even forgot that I'd applied. Two months after applying I got the call, did the interview and was hired in the same day.

What about getting a job at Subway or Office Depot or In'n'Out for this semester while still putting the applications through to Pharmacies? I live in an area that the deprecession hit pretty hard and fast food joints and such are still hiring, some for upward of 30 hrs/week if you wanted.

Granted that's not ideal but I mean if it's that vs. you not being able to continue your push to pharmacy school it seems obvious to me.

I wish I could but I have to work to put myself through school this semester. I don't have the money to just volunteer and not work.

I volunteered with the Red Cross in a military pharmacy and I only volunteered four hours a week. I know there was one guy who only volunteered two. If it is the difference between having experience or not, maybe you could find a position where you only need to go a few hours a week and still work to support yourself.

if you don't mind the possibility of being chased by druggies/squatters, know how to board up windows, and don't mind driving a lot...my firm is hiring, haha.

sit tight and find an alternate job for now (if you can--even fast food spots are tough to find now). Stuff is geographic too...so be prepared to drive around to ask if they're hiring.

if you don't mind the possibility of being chased by druggies/squatters, know how to board up windows, and don't mind driving a lot...my firm is hiring, haha.

sit tight and find an alternate job for now (if you can--even fast food spots are tough to find now). Stuff is geographic too...so be prepared to drive around to ask if they're hiring.

I don't mind a driving job. I wouldn't wanna be a cabbie, but I wouldn't mind being a transporter for medical equipment. One time my friend had to get some stuff up to Massachusetts for a surgery, he got pulled over on the way there, explained the situation to the officer, and he let him go.