Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am "applying" online (making my profile) to take the PTCB exam on the PTCB site and it wants me to pay $129 in order for me to continue registering. It claims that this amount is the application fee. Does anyone know what this fee covers? I would like to know before I fill out my credit card info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am "applying" online (making my profile) to take the PTCB exam on the PTCB site and it wants me to pay $129 in order for me to continue registering. It claims that this amount is the application fee. Does anyone know what this fee covers? I would like to know before I fill out my credit card info. Thanks!

You're basically purchasing a test voucher for $129. When you feel ready, you can go to the Pearson Vue website to schedule a test time. I think you have a two month time period after purchasing the test voucher to do so.

Whoever took the ptcb exam, did you guys have to know how to compound drugs? Theres a huge long chapter about it in the book im studying from and its making me fall asleep. i dont want to memorize this! do i have to know it for the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever took the ptcb exam, did you guys have to know how to compound drugs? Theres a huge long chapter about it in the book im studying from and its making me fall asleep. i dont want to memorize this! do i have to know it for the test?

I don't recall any questions about compounding...

I didn't study drug names/classifications at all...

I knew some information about laws/regulations...

I knew EVERYTHING about how to solve the math problems...

I PASSED. ^^

I don't recall any questions about compounding...

I didn't study drug names/classifications at all...

I knew some information about laws/regulations...

I knew EVERYTHING about how to solve the math problems...

I PASSED. ^^

thanks! just took my exam today and passed also :D

So I picked up "Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Second Edition" of Amazon and I noticed there isn't a section in here that goes over the math calculations. How do you guys recommend studying/learning the conversions?

I used a website to study pharmacy-tech-study.com it covers everything on practice exams. I have not taken my test yet, but I've been getting 90s on practice tests. I also bought the newest mosby book and took it's 120 question quiz and aced it. I am just waiting for money I'm maxes out on bills and currently attempting to survive on unemployment.

I have a question though, I was wondering with my current knowledge would it be logical to start calling pharmacies asking if they're seeking techs? I know I am not certified yet, but I am enrolled in pre-pharm. Is they're any tips for what or who I should talk to or do? They're has been a couple of third shifts advertised for about a month in a couple of local hospitals that I have my eye on, but I figured I would wait till I was certified till I app to those. Also is it better to apply in person or online? Let me know thanks!

Sorry for grammar I am on a iphone

Also I was wondering if they're are some differences in the ptcexam and practice tests. For exAmple a practice exam has equally distributed question subject areas. Does the exam focus on mostly one type of math? Or is flow rate, pRoportions, youngs & Clarke forumla all evenly distributed on the exam? Because I am great at the math with the exception of allegations, the way I was taught them was horrid And 40 million steps. Also drug names I know all the sea scheduled drugs, most of the popular 200 drugs, and I'm great with laws and misc info such as a laminar flow hood And crash cart. Are these areas of info important?

Also I found a great app to help study on the app store. It has everything in flashcard form. It's free to!

Okay I know its probably mentioned in this thread a few times, but i used the search option and its really confusing.

I wanted to know HOW i can become a pharmacy technician in New York.
Basically I would like to have the certificate in order to increase my chances to get accepted to pham school, and if I can find a job thats a plus!

So right now the first step i should take is what?? register for the PTCB?
I'm not sure because it seems like the website is only for people who previously taken the test.

Any info on how and what i should do is appreciated! :)

Hello guys,

I plan on trying to become Pharmacy Technician certified within the next week, if possible. What is the best way to prepare for the PTCE?

I've read that Mosby's book is great for studying the exam, but I've also heard in other places that if you have no previous pharmacy experience, you'll need additional study. Unfortunately, I do not have any pharmacy experience.

However, I have an Associate's Degree in Science, and I have completed all pre-pharmacy courses with the exception of Organic Chemistry II. I just completed Calculus I with an A, so I think my math skills are up to par.

So if I just study Mosby's review guide with no experience in a pharmacy environment, should I be able to pass the PTCE? Thanks.

I'm sorry you had to repeat yourself twice in a forum. Don't do that again. Edit your other one to be requested for deletion.

A lot of chain store pharmacies these days require certification. I know in Texas they implemented fingerprinting into state certification, so it's (even more) serious business these days.

You really don't need to volunteer in a pharmacy before getting certified.

One suggestion - have you tried volunteering at independent pharmacies? Good Neighbor, although it's more of a chain, has an independent feel to it. Otherwise, it's the mom n' pop shop(pe)s that are your best bet.

Sorry I'm going to bother you :p
It seems to me like you live in Texas, so (stupid question coming up here) how do I register to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy? I've been lingering around on their website but I don't think I'm doing this right.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I picked up "Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Second Edition" of Amazon and I noticed there isn't a section in here that goes over the math calculations. How do you guys recommend studying/learning the conversions?

I used what the user below you used pharmacy-tech-study.com I memorized 2 drugs and memorized everything else on the website and also did the practice quizzes. My friend did the same thing. :)
There was a question in CD of that review book that was really weird, it asked something like what is a cat's claw used for or something :confused:

Today is March 14th 2011, I live in the East Bay and called CVS Vallejo, CVS Fairfield, CVS Sacramento and spoke with the pharmacists. I asked about the job market for pharmTechs and the prospects are dismal. CVS pharmacist Fairfield said there are more pharmTechs doing something besides working in pharmacy. CVS Sacramento said the hours have been cut so much for all retail pharmacies, CVS Vallejo said only 1 in 100 of their applicants gets the job.

I was considering taking the PTCB but given the outlook I might as well hang onto my $129.

I am so depressed upon reading so many threads about how dismal the job market is for pharmtechs. I've got my certification for the license after taking the PTCB and now I don't know if I should go with the $80 + $51 fees for the actual CA license to practice as a pharmtech.

I've got a ****ty GPA for my BA and am going to attend post-bacc to try and get a 4.0 GPA there. Loans up the wazoo for attending uni and post-bacc and not even a pharmtech job to support myself away from home?!!!:(

I hope this doesn't count as a necro but...how hard is the math on the exam? I'm studying off of "The Pharmacy Technician" 3rd edition by the American Pharmacists Association. Is the math contained in that book sufficient for the exam? :xf:

I hope this doesn't count as a necro but...how hard is the math on the exam? I'm studying off of "The Pharmacy Technician" 3rd edition by the American Pharmacists Association. Is the math contained in that book sufficient for the exam? :xf:

I would say; "yes".

Does anyone know if I take the PTCE this month and pass, what the issue date and expiration date on my certification will be? Thanks in advance!

Does anybody know any tricks or ways to get a tech job that is NOT in retail. I haven't gone through any training; I just took the test. Also I don't want to go through any training, I don't have time for it. Is there hope that I can find a tech job that is not retail in the state of Texas?

I think you're talking about a formal training class, rather than on-the-job training, right? I'm not sure what the job market looks like in Texas - in AZ, looks like a lot of places want some experience of some kind, with the glaring exception of some retail jobs.

My plan, should I need to leap-frog into a pharm tech position, is to either 1) apply to Wags or some other retail job for experience, then apply elsewhere starting at 6 months; 2) have my mum put a good word in for me at the hospital & apply there. :p

Does anyone know if I take the PTCE this month and pass, what the issue date and expiration date on my certification will be? Thanks in advance!

IIRC, your license is issued after your test score is completed. I took it in November, and my license expiration date is December each year. It's good for 2 years.

OTOH, my tech license is up in October (I guess it's standard) and is up on the off-year from my PTCB certification. (PTCB is up in 2012; tech license is up in 2011.) They caught me up the first year I registered - so I was only licensed from Jan to October the first time. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm going to bother you :p
It seems to me like you live in Texas, so (stupid question coming up here) how do I register to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy? I've been lingering around on their website but I don't think I'm doing this right.

Fill out the application on the website and pay the fee. After the initial processing, they'll send you instructions on how to register for fingerprinting.

Does anybody know any tricks or ways to get a tech job that is NOT in retail. I haven't gone through any training; I just took the test. Also I don't want to go through any training, I don't have time for it. Is there hope that I can find a tech job that is not retail in the state of Texas?

Volunteer and impress the pharmacy managers.

Pull strings if there are any.

Has anyone gotten certified in Florida since the beginning of this year who wasn't a tech prior to 2011? I was under the impression that I could just self study and take the PTCE, get certified, and start working. After viewing FL's website it seems they switched over to requiring a "formal training program", is there any way around this?

Because I'm only 100% positive that I can do a better job learning the little there is to learn in a couple days then paying Everest University 3 grand for it over the course of months. Hell, after looking at the programs Florida OK'd it pretty much seems like for profit schools paid someone off.

Has anyone gotten certified in Florida since the beginning of this year who wasn't a tech prior to 2011? I was under the impression that I could just self study and take the PTCE, get certified, and start working. After viewing FL's website it seems they switched over to requiring a "formal training program", is there any way around this?

Because I'm only 100% positive that I can do a better job learning the little there is to learn in a couple days then paying Everest University 3 grand for it over the course of months. Hell, after looking at the programs Florida OK'd it pretty much seems like for profit schools paid someone off.

I think you can get around it if your employer has a training program approved by the board that you can go through.

how did I miss this thread? Like it
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Can you fill in the Pharm Tech job applications after passing the PTCE, or is it necessary to wait for the official certificate from PTCB to arrive in mail (about 3 weeks I suppose)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey you guys, good thread. I was just wondering if people are still having luck in California getting certified by the PTCB, getting the state license and then applying directly to retail pharmacies? Can you actually get a job like this without experience? And how are you applying: direct walk-ins, mailing the applications, etc? I've pretty much given up on the online applications, as they take about 30 minutes and I don't think anyone even reads them! Just a bunch of silly questions....

Edit: I should add that I have my PTCB cert. and am just waiting for my state license (they sure take their time; I applied for it in April and they said it "should" be here by October! Can I still apply for a job before it gets here, and just make a note on my resume saying that my state licensure is on its way?

Last edited:
I'm taking my PTCE this Saturday for the first time. Did a self study on the material. Any last minute tips?

I plan on applying for pharm tech jobs here in CA after I pass this weekend. :)

I took the PTCE and passed it today! Now just gotta find a PT job...in California...

So I recently submitted my California pharm tech license application and WARNING to all future applicants, they have added additional required documents as part of new laws that were passed in California. Apparently, now you also have to submit a copy of your high school transcript or some other form of general education proof AND you must also submit a self-query report. It's a bit frustrating for me because this requires more money to get a pharm tech license and delays the application process because of the additional paperwork needed. So I just wanted to share this piece of information with all of you.. hope it helps!

So I recently submitted my California pharm tech license application and WARNING to all future applicants, they have added additional required documents as part of new laws that were passed in California. Apparently, now you also have to submit a copy of your high school transcript or some other form of general education proof AND you must also submit a self-query report. It's a bit frustrating for me because this requires more money to get a pharm tech license and delays the application process because of the additional paperwork needed. So I just wanted to share this piece of information with all of you.. hope it helps!

:confused:
I just mailed my pharmacy tech license application to CA BOP and all I did was fill out the couple pages, included a certified copy of my PTCB certificate, and completed a Live Scan. I didn't see any indication of high school transcript. Where did you see that in writing?

Edit:
Nevermind. I see it now at http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf
That's weird. When I printed out the application a week ago, it wasn't there...

Last edited:
Did anyone just take the test without going to a pharm tech program?

I just took the test and didn't know what to do with the pharm tech school section, so I just left it blank and sent it in. Still haven't received the license yet.

I just took the test and didn't know what to do with the pharm tech school section, so I just left it blank and sent it in. Still haven't received the license yet.

You can do this if you don't live in a state that now requires you to complete a state board of pharmacy certified training program (like Florida.)

I live in FL and was "grandfathered" into a PT job before they instituted that stupid rule. It's not like being a tech is rocket science, and who wants to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a job which might pay you slightly more than minimum wage? The only, ONLY reason I think anyone should go through with something like that is if they want to go to pharm school and they really need experience.

I took the PTCE here in CA without attending a pharm tech program. Just did a self study. I left the school section blank too.

Does the state of California require a Pharmacy Technician to hold both the certificate and a license? I have both but my certificate expires Nov 30th so I was wondering if I'd be okay to just have a license?? I emailed the California Pharmacy board but they never replied -__-

Does the state of California require a Pharmacy Technician to hold both the certificate and a license? I have both but my certificate expires Nov 30th so I was wondering if I'd be okay to just have a license?? I emailed the California Pharmacy board but they never replied -__-

Yes, you have to recertify every 2 years.

Yeah the BOP is extremely slow. But I find that emailing them is more efficient since whenever I call them I can never get a live person to talk to.:eek:

Yes, you have to recertify every 2 years.

Yeah the BOP is extremely slow. But I find that emailing them is more efficient since whenever I call them I can never get a live person to talk to.:eek:

Thanks!...now i'm pretty much screwed then =.= gotta somehow get 20 CE credits by Nov! I never was able to get hired as a tech so I have no credits. Any suggestions for quick and free CE credits besides science courses?

Okay, I did the self-study and passed the exam on my first trial. So I got my certificate few weeks ago. And now I try to log on to the website. The problem is that I only have the certification number, but not the password.

I don't remember creating the password, except when I register for the exam. So I tried to use that password, but it didn't work. I clicked the "forget the password" and so I entered my email, the one that I use for the exam registration exam. It said that there's no information...

What should I do now? Should I call them or email them?

Okay, I did the self-study and passed the exam on my first trial. So I got my certificate few weeks ago. And now I try to log on to the website. The problem is that I only have the certification number, but not the password.

I don't remember creating the password, except when I register for the exam. So I tried to use that password, but it didn't work. I clicked the "forget the password" and so I entered my email, the one that I use for the exam registration exam. It said that there's no information...

What should I do now? Should I call them or email them?

Did you figure out what to do yet?

Yeah I did :) I had to wait a couple of days for my information (my e-mail) to get registered into the system.

Now, to find a job....... :xf:

Best of luck! I hope to find one asap once I get my license from CA BOP.