Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my friend had class notes...abbreviations like:

ii= 2
tid= twice daily
po- orally
sl- sublinguil

etc...

Ok, gotcha :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this is a really stupid question, but it's regarding registration for the PTCB exam.

If I sign up for the next available window (Nov-Dec), can I take the test on any day within that window? Or do they give you a specific test date to show up to their center? Sorry if this is idiotic, but I searched all over their website and couldn't find anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, this is a really stupid question, but it's regarding registration for the PTCB exam.

If I sign up for the next available window (Nov-Dec), can I take the test on any day within that window? Or do they give you a specific test date to show up to their center? Sorry if this is idiotic, but I searched all over their website and couldn't find anything...

when you go to the website, it'll show you all the dates you can take the test. its almost every single day morning and afternoon.

Well it shows testing windows. So that means I can schedule to take the test at any time during the testing window that I registered for, right? (assuming it's not a holiday or something)

Where on the site does it show the actual dates and times I can take the test?

You can't see the actual dates and times until after you've registered and paid. You'll then get an authorization to register or something like that and you can log into the site to see what time spots are still available. If you register early in the application window, practically all days and times will be open. Wait until closer to the deadline and you'll have slimmer pickings.

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I hope they test on weekends...

Nobody really cares what your actual score was unless you feel like telling them. Aside from just knowing that you're certified, employers care much more about your length and depth of prior pharmacy experience.

Nobody really cares what your actual score was unless you feel like telling them. Aside from just knowing that you're certified, employers care much more about your length and depth of prior pharmacy experience.

That is true. I have proof to support that response. The University of Colorado hospital emailed me after I applied for the Pharmacy Technician Oncology Department and he asked me if I had experience. I emailed him back immediately saying a lot of things (it was 3 questions so I made it long like an essay..lol!!) but I did say that I had experience in the 12 week course class I took to prepare the PTCB exam. Will this be enough??

Anyways, he said he will respond to me in one week if I get selected. I will update to you guys, if I get the interview (by the way, what do you wear in a interview for a hospital? like a suit or what??).

EDIT: LOL, I looked at this thread for fun and forgot to update this. It's 02-07-2008 now and never got a called from the hospital, I guess they didn't like what I wrote in my email....anyways, I wish you all luck in finding a job!

Last edited:
That is true. I have proof to support that response. The University of Colorado hospital emailed me after I applied for the Pharmacy Technician Oncology Department and he asked me if I had experience. I emailed him back immediately saying a lot of things (it was 3 questions so I made it long like an essay..lol!!) but I did say that I had experience in the 12 week course class I took to prepare the PTCB exam. Will this be enough??

Anyways, he said he will respond to me in one week if I get selected. I will update to you guys, if I get the interview (by the way, what do you wear in a interview for a hospital? like a suit or what??).

Best wishes to you. I'm sure you'll get selected for an interview. I would wear a suit. :thumbup:

let me know if you need study material. i might have some notes~

just pm me :)

I sent you a PM...please check your mail when you get a chance. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it :thumbup:

ii= 2
tid= twice daily
po- orally
sl- sublinguil

etc...

I believe "tid" means three times a day. "bid" is twice a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol don't worry, they spelled the word sublingual wrong too...

PharmD321 was kind enough to point out that I spelled a word wrong. Thanks.

I believe "tid" means three times a day. "bid" is twice a day.

Rycetrix corrected me "tid". He made sure nobody got confused between "bid" and "tid". Thanks a lot.

so many of these topics... just study law/abbreviations (BID, TID, etc) and make sure you have the math down.

jyw...did you get my pm in regards to the study notes????

Best wishes to you. I'm sure you'll get selected for an interview. I would wear a suit. :thumbup:

Ehh, for a pharmacy tech job, a suit isn't necessary. I'd just wear some slacks with a nice shirt and a blazer/sport jacket.

I mean, for a job that you wear jeans and a t-shirt for, you don't have to use a suit for the interview.

Ehh, for a pharmacy tech job, a suit isn't necessary. I'd just wear some slacks with a nice shirt and a blazer/sport jacket.

I mean, for a job that you wear jeans and a t-shirt for, you don't have to use a suit for the interview.

:thumbup:

I agree with what you said but only in retail setting. I was talking about a hospital! The Oncology department! isn't that much more professional compared to retail??

I agree with what you said but only in retail setting. I was talking about a hospital! The Oncology department! isn't that much more professional compared to retail??

You could always call human resources and find out. That's what I did for my inpatient pharmacy interview and they said business casual was fine.

ii= 2
tid= twice daily
po- orally
sl- sublinguil

etc...

Ummm. TID is three times a day not twice daily thats bid. lol. anyways, the ptcb was extremely easy.....

shouldn't this thread be in the Licensure forum?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=157

The test is pretty simple. I studied 4 days from a book from 2005. Knowing the core concepts without memorizing the drugs allowed me to pass last month with ease. It's nothing to stress out too much about, and I believe you can retake the exam without paying again.

(its 'easiness' reminded me of the Ca Real Estate exam)

Because I'm terrible at math, that was the hardest part for me, but even that wasn't too bad.

The law, assisting pharmacist, and abbreviations were easy, just a couple hours of practice would be enough for most people. I studied way too much, including paying for a stupid practice test from PTCB.

It's kinda silly, though, how much stuff was on that test that a tech at Wags or CVS will never use (Laminar flow hood, lol?). I don't think I've ever seen a CphT at wally word mixing an IV, either.

Useless. At least no one is yet forced (I don't think) to pay the stupid amount of money for the worthless class.

Your certification is good for three years, I think. I took the test and received my certification in less than a week. Good luck!

Because I'm terrible at math, that was the hardest part for me, but even that wasn't too bad.

The law, assisting pharmacist, and abbreviations were easy, just a couple hours of practice would be enough for most people. I studied way too much, including paying for a stupid practice test from PTCB.

It's kinda silly, though, how much stuff was on that test that a tech at Wags or CVS will never use (Laminar flow hood, lol?). I don't think I've ever seen a CphT at wally word mixing an IV, either.

Useless. At least no one is yet forced (I don't think) to pay the stupid amount of money for the worthless class.

you are forced to take a class in Virginia... $80 is the cheapest I've found.. plus the price of the test of course.

That laminar flow hood stuff is for techs who work at nuclear pharmacies and hospital pharmacies.

Can someone tell me what I need to know about "mixing IVs" and "hospital pharmacy" information. I'm taking it on Monday and have a guide that doesn't talk about those specifics.

Can someone tell me what I need to know about "mixing IVs" and "hospital pharmacy" information. I'm taking it on Monday and have a guide that doesn't talk about those specifics.

My test had no questions on mixing IVs at all. I think the only thing hospital pharmacy related on my test was a question or two about parts of syringe. I would just study math conversions because you can't really guess on those.

Just study the math (really you should not need to study at all) and the different sig abbreviations, these alone are at least 2/3 of the test.

I've been doing a few practice tests. However I keep running into questions similar to this one:

How many grams of 2.5% lidocaine jelly should be mixed with 360gm of 0.25% lidocaine jelly to make a 1% jelly?

and I just cannot do it!

Can someone explain how to do that one.. haha I know its really sad I can't do this.. as the math is probably impossibly easy.

I've been doing a few practice tests. However I keep running into questions similar to this one:

How many grams of 2.5% lidocaine jelly should be mixed with 360gm of 0.25% lidocaine jelly to make a 1% jelly?

and I just cannot do it!

Can someone explain how to do that one.. haha I know its really sad I can't do this.. as the math is probably impossibly easy.

I really should know how to do that but I would just use trial and error to find the answer.

I'll give you a hint, 2.5% lidocaine jelly has 2.5g lidocaine / 100 grams jelly.

0.25% lidocaine jelly has 0.9g lidocaine/ 360g jelly.

I really should know how to do that but I would just use trial and error to find the answer.

I'll give you a hint, 2.5% lidocaine jelly has 2.5g lidocaine / 100 grams jelly.

0.25% lidocaine jelly has 0.9g lidocaine/ 360g jelly.

Is it 180 g? Does it require algebra or is there a more simple and elegant way of working it out?

I was thinking about doing an aliquot but I am going to have to reread that section of pharmaceutics.

That is the correct answer.

Awesome! It would be neat if there were PTCB question(s) of the day on the forum. I'm here reading all these posts but I can't even get around to opening my PTCB book. :laugh:

FIGURED IT OUT!

STEP 1

(X)(0.025)+(360)(0.0025)
------------------------- = 0.01
360+X

STEP 2

0.025X + 0.9 = 0.01(360 + X)

STEP 3

0.025X + 0.9 = 3.6 + 0.01X

STEP 4

0.015X = 2.7

STEP 5

X = 180

Yay!

Last edited:
How do you do this one:

What is the flow rate to be used to infuse 1200 ml of dextrose 5% in water over 4 hours if the set delivers 15 drops per ml?

How do you do this one:

What is the flow rate to be used to infuse 1200 ml of dextrose 5% in water over 4 hours if the set delivers 15 drops per ml?

1200/240(minutes from 4 hours)*15 = 75 gtt/min

Your welcome :)

google for a blog that has a pretty decent ptcb test exam with answers.

on a side note: I applied for a license to be a pharm tech in CA early April and have not heard a reply. They did however cash my check :confused:. I tried sending an email but I just received a stock email saying that they are very busy. Does anyone know how long the process normally takes?

google for a blog that has a pretty decent ptcb test exam with answers.

on a side note: I applied for a license to be a pharm tech in CA early April and have not heard a reply. They did however cash my check :confused:. I tried sending an email but I just received a stock email saying that they are very busy. Does anyone know how long the process normally takes?
I don't know how long it normally takes, but I would call today to find the status of your application. According to their recorded phone message, June 8 is the first day that you are able to call requesting updates on your status. Good luck!

That laminar flow hood stuff is for techs who work at nuclear pharmacies and hospital pharmacies.

Notice I mentioned Walgreens and CVS, not nuclear or hospital pharmacies?

Most techs do NOT work in nuclear or hospital pharmacies, and for those techs (at LEAST 90%, yeah?) it's worthless information and they'll never need it.

That should be an added CE or module for working in that setting, not something everyone needs to know (LOok at driver's licenses - Not everyone drives a Semi or Motorcycle, thus the techniques of using said vehicles is not covered by your standard license exam).

The test is pretty easy. Most of the stuff that entails the pharmacy techs job is pretty intuitive. You just gotta use common sense.

I started volunteering in a hospital pharmacy this summer. I can do so much more once I have my certificate, so I just bought the Mosby PTCB book. I figured that since I aced calc and general chem, and based on the posts here, it would be easy, but this definitely does not look like easy, common sense, intuitive info. The practice tests have things that there'd be no way to know if you didn't study for it (which book does this come from - the orange book, or the equivalence of g to gr - I never studies grains before!) Hopefully after reading through this book, it will seem easy to me.

I started volunteering in a hospital pharmacy this summer. I can do so much more once I have my certificate, so I just bought the Mosby PTCB book. I figured that since I aced calc and general chem, and based on the posts here, it would be easy, but this definitely does not look like easy, common sense, intuitive info. The practice tests have things that there'd be no way to know if you didn't study for it (which book does this come from - the orange book, or the equivalence of g to gr - I never studies grains before!) Hopefully after reading through this book, it will seem easy to me.

It's really not that bad. I studied for a week and passed. But ofcourse I made flashcards and put a few hours into it daily.

Well, I mentioned the conversions and Pharmacy law that you'll need to study for above and beyond 'common sense' things. However, there's a large enough margin of error between Pass and Fail that even if you get almost all of one section wrong, for example, you can still Pass (I believe the passing score is 600 out of 900, but it's been a while).

I think that might be part of the reason everyone insists it was so easy...

It's almost frightening that you can get 1/3 wrong and still pass! After studying a couple hours yesterday, I'm sure I will be ready to take this in a couple wks. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hello, well I took my first ptcb exam in march and failed. i received 596 of 900. although i have experience working in a walgreens specialty pharmacy, i have a big language barrier because i was born and raised in poland. I did worst on the "assist Pharmacist in serving patients" section, and am asking for just a general guide of what to study. What would be some good material to study for this section? i have both the PhTech Workbook and certification Review and The Pharmacy Technician books but they aren't too helpful. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks

P.S. are there any good books out there that offer practice tests and/or study guides?

There's a book on Amazon: Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians by Noah Reifman. I lucked out and found a copy cheap locally. But it's the only book I studied out of for about a week before taking the exam. It pretty much teaches you the exam.

For example: It has a paragraph discussing how to clean a hood area. There's no lead up to the topic or anything related close by. It's just "oh, if there's a question about working under a hood..."

Working as an engineer previously, I just had to learn the apothecary conversions (as far as math goes). Had no CLUE what any of the generics were at the time I took the test. :lol:

thanks for the quick reply, yes i am debating whether or not to study the drugs (generic, uses, interactions, etc) because from what i've heard it is only a small portion of the test relative to all the other stuff. In your opinion would i be able to pass just studying the math and law and only knowing a little bit about drugs?