Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. I did call today, and they said for the initial license, it depends on when the license is approved, and when my birthday is. Since my license was approved March 2010, and my birthday is in April, that means the license will only run to April 2011. Seems like a strange process to me, but that's how it is.

I was getting nervous because I was going to a follow up interview for a pharm tech position at UCSF (with the interviews being done through a staffing agency) and my renewal was still being processed. I was hoping to find out it was actually a typo, and tell them I could work right away. (They had said they were looking to hire as soon as this week.)

Turns out they never even asked about the status of my license today. He just wanted to make sure that I have my Certification (which doesn't have to be renewed for months yet), and looks like there are multiple positions to be filled, and they do know I have class until the 26th, which doesn't seem to be a problem. They said that although they're not guaranteeing anything, they did like me, and they'll be finishing their interviews by Friday, so I should be hearing from them again soon enough.

[Note: I never sent my information to them. It was sent by the Pre-Pharmacy Association I was in, over a year ago. I woke up on my birthday to find an email telling me about a possible pharm tech position so I took the opportunity. My renewal was going to be fully processed by the time the semester finished, the time when I was going to be job hunting.]

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. I did call today, and they said for the initial license, it depends on when the license is approved, and when my birthday is. Since my license was approved March 2010, and my birthday is in April, that means the license will only run to April 2011. Seems like a strange process to me, but that's how it is.

Yeah, if you had waited until after your birthday 2010 to get it then it wouldn't expire until your birthday 2012. Kinda sucks to have a month long year. Vehicle licensing works that way too only it's yearly.

Hey guys, I'm looking to start working as a pharmacy technician.

I need to study for the PTCE and need recommendations on which books to use to study for it.

The pharmacist at the grocery store I work at gave me the company training manual to use but I'd really like to have a PTCE Review book to use alongside it.

I really need the certification because in Florida it's next to impossible to find a job without being certified.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm looking to start working as a pharmacy technician.

I need to study for the PTCE and need recommendations on which books to use to study for it.

The pharmacist at the grocery store I work at gave me the company training manual to use but I'd really like to have a PTCE Review book to use alongside it.

I really need the certification because in Florida it's next to impossible to find a job without being certified.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

pm me your email address I'll send it to you for free (might want to pay ~$10 to print out tho)

Hi everyone,

I live in Texas and was wondering the same thing. Would I be able take the PTCB exam and become a licensed pharmacy technician? I remember reading on a website that you had to complete technician trainee application and employee based training?

And for those of you who have taken the PTCB exam, how much did you study? What's the best way to go about studying and passing? Does the exam cover a lot of drug related questions like generic/brand/dosage/usage? What other area's are covered? I know there's math, law, brand/generic, is there more?

Can we skip a question and come back to it later, or is it strictly a forward-moving test ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

And for those of you who have taken the PTCB exam, how much did you study? What's the best way to go about studying and passing? Does the exam cover a lot of drug related questions like generic/brand/dosage/usage? What other area's are covered? I know there's math, law, brand/generic, is there more?

Can we skip a question and come back to it later, or is it strictly a forward-moving test ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The test was 70% math and translating the script language into dispensing directions. The rest was..I can't remember. I'm saying this since I took the PTCB test without any knowledge of brand/generic drugs and the working knowledge of pharmacy technician in general. Still, I passed. I studied a book though to familiarize myself with what was going to be on the test though. I would say, don't sweat it, just prep for 1 week with a good book from amazon and you'll pass it definitely.

Hey all, is it true you have to attend a school to get a pharmacy tech certification now?
A friend told me this, if it's not true, what's the quickest way to get certified?

Hey all, is it true you have to attend a school to get a pharmacy tech certification now?
A friend told me this, if it's not true, what's the quickest way to get certified?

Don't believe your friend.

Take the test, and pass.

Depends on the state. In FL, if you have no experience, you must take a class. Your state's Board of Pharmacy website should have that info. Good Luck. :luck:

Congrats SMITHEK. I'm not sure how you pulled it, but you pulled it good. Wal-greens is a hard one to infiltrate, but you did it. I got my CPhT and got educated at a good college that offered pharm tech course. Called and showed up at over 40 local pharmaceutical companies and pharmacies (long-term care and retail), spoke to Pharmacists, submitted my resume and applied online (Walgreens, CVS, walmart, target, you name it), and followed through with calls. I know this might not sound believable, but despite of all that hard work, none of those methods worked and none had given me a call. I have an impressive resume. Sometimes I have to show myself in person so they don't belittle me after seeing my last name, it's quite hard being a male hispanic nowadays trying to infiltrate the pharmacy industry, because you get so many profiling and biases from hiring managers/pharmacists inspite of your friendliness and sincerity. What makes it worse is this economy we're in. So hats off to you amigo, and give yourself a pat in the back. Either God is with you or fortune is with you, or both. I happen to be a biochem/pre-pharmacy student as well but a little way back. I feel for the other grads (CPhT or PT) out there today who's been lured into this career by colleges for monetary means and were promised a good landing on a job after graduation, but in reality only to be left in the dust.

I admit I probably made a mistake choosing this career at the wrong time and wrong state (California). To add insult to injury, California has a ratio of 1:1 of pharmacist to techs. I believe there already is a saturation or congestion of new pharm tech grads fighting for a job or intership everywhere. I don't want to go back to my old career, but I don't have much choice for now if no one wants to accept me (a top of the class graduate). It's really frustrating.

I forgot to mention that I submitted so far over 50 applications to job openings in HOSPITALS as a pharm tech in different cities (locally and outside of California), none returned my call since they want someone who resides locally. How unlucky can someone get! I tried offering them UNPAID 40/hrs internship as well just to get my foot in, but the pharmacist would say "i'll give you a call".. but they never do, and hide from me when I call back. I don't know what it is, I'm a very good looking guy. I'm gonna stop this silliness and just go to Dubai or Qatar maybe.

I need pharm tech experience. Can someone help me out with this? I've already applied to all of the large chain pharmacies like CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. I called Target Pharmacy, but they said that they're looking for someone with a pharm tech license. I know it's hard to find a job without a license, but I also know that there should be some out there. If anyone has any information on where else I should look, can you please help me out? Thanks A lot!

We're in the same boat my friend. I will let you know. Send me a private message by clicking on my public profile... I will send you my email addie so we can keep in touch and keep each other posted. We landed into a tough market as grads... it's not looking so good right now. Over 200 techs fighting for 1 position.

Look at independents as well and just shadow them for a bit for experience. While it isn't paid it would still be good for experience for pharm school and also for applying to a pharmacy. Some states need a pharmacist to sign off on a license anyway and going to work at an independent (paid or not) lets you get the license and knowledge for certification. Now you are ahead of the curve compared to everyone else.

You can also try hospitals, clinics, and the like. Get to networking so that when something opens up you have a way to get into the field. It worked for me for CVS in that I knew a manager and when they needed a tech I was one of the first people to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who might be familiar...

as a tech, would you prefer working as a tech at a big hospital(filling mainly?) or a medication program coordinator (paperwork, not much filling but leadership?) for a community clinic mainly serving undeserved community?

I am pre-pharm, recent grad and applying to pharm school wondering which is a better option for me. thanks for the advice

You have to be attending a pharmacy school to get a pharmacy intern license, not a tech license.

For a pharmacy tech license, most states have the option of attending a tech school OR doing on-the-job training. Most companies (especially retail) will offer you the training you need on the job to get your license. Just look up the State Board of Pharmacy in your state to read the rules.

Hi everyone,

haven't had time to read all the posts on this thread so this was probably asked/answered already

i'm studying for the ptcb's now and i wanted to know what to focus on more. I read that math and law would be most important. right now im on the chapter of terminology, like all the root words/prefix/suffixes, is that important? I feel overwhelmed with them all and i really don't want to memorize all this if I don't have to cause i've heard the exams not that hard

Hi everyone,

haven't had time to read all the posts on this thread so this was probably asked/answered already

i'm studying for the ptcb's now and i wanted to know what to focus on more. I read that math and law would be most important. right now im on the chapter of terminology, like all the root words/prefix/suffixes, is that important? I feel overwhelmed with them all and i really don't want to memorize all this if I don't have to cause i've heard the exams not that hard

Study the top 200 brand-generic names. That can be integrated into many questions and there are questions that flat out want you to know them (what is the brand name of metformin?)

There are different types of tests that focus on hospital, law, retail, etc. I think there were 4 the last time I checked. Definitely know the math and laws and the brand-generic names. Those are found on almost all the tests. If you do that then anything else would help benefit from extra points. Also, if you work retail, focus more on the hospital side since you don't know much about that area. Know the regulating agencies of hospital,laminar flow hoods vertical vs horitzontal, sterile technique, and etc. If you get a hospital test (like I did) then this will benefit you greatly.

I also had some random questions on crash carts, like 5 of them. They could have been experimental because I didn't find them in my books but it might benefit you to know who uses them, how they are refilled, what drugs are on them, and etc.

So I'm trying to apply to take the PTCE and one of the screens is asking for the school that I was trained at. However, I didn't go to a school for training, I wanted to just take the exam, but it won't let me continue with the application without answering the question. How do I get past it?

So I'm trying to apply to take the PTCE and one of the screens is asking for the school that I was trained at. However, I didn't go to a school for training, I wanted to just take the exam, but it won't let me continue with the application without answering the question. How do I get past it?

Odd. There should be a skip option. If not, just write not applicable.

I took the test and got certified at the end of last year, and I'm finally happening upon a job... so my question is, exactly what do pharmacists expect you to know 100%? Things like the top 200 drugs, that are pure memorization, I'm obviously way rusty on. Long term retention for that sort of thing is horrible, given that I couldn't put it into practice until six months down the road. I've been trying to brush up on all that recently, but I thought I'd see if somebody had some insight. If it matters, the pharmacy I'll be working at is retail... Wal-Mart.

I took the test and got certified at the end of last year, and I'm finally happening upon a job... so my question is, exactly what do pharmacists expect you to know 100%? Things like the top 200 drugs, that are pure memorization, I'm obviously way rusty on. Long term retention for that sort of thing is horrible, given that I couldn't put it into practice until six months down the road. I've been trying to brush up on all that recently, but I thought I'd see if somebody had some insight. If it matters, the pharmacy I'll be working at is retail... Wal-Mart.

Knowing top 200 drugs brand/generic and their indications helps, but it's something you can pick up while working.

Knowing the law, the company policies, and the general workflow in the pharmacy would probably be more important.

Learning strengths and dosage forms is something you'll pick up, and therapeutic categories and classes are something you'll pick up even later.

If you get used to constantly looking up something when you don't know it, and try to find a way to use it while working (like telling another coworker when they have questions, answering the pharmacists' questions when they're quizzing you, etc), it will help you remember.

How busy is the Wal-Mart where you're gonna be working? >1000 per day? 500-1000 per day? <500 per day?

Knowing top 200 drugs brand/generic and their indications helps, but it's something you can pick up while working.

Knowing the law, the company policies, and the general workflow in the pharmacy would probably be more important.

Learning strengths and dosage forms is something you'll pick up, and therapeutic categories and classes are something you'll pick up even later.

If you get used to constantly looking up something when you don't know it, and try to find a way to use it while working (like telling another coworker when they have questions, answering the pharmacists' questions when they're quizzing you, etc), it will help you remember.

How busy is the Wal-Mart where you're gonna be working? >1000 per day? 500-1000 per day? <500 per day?

Agree with bob.

I would add knowing how many drops per ml, converting ounce to mls, and calculating number of days supply would be helpful. Also mls per teaspoon/tablespoon.

Agree with bob.

I would add knowing how many drops per ml, converting ounce to mls, and calculating number of days supply would be helpful. Also mls per teaspoon/tablespoon.

Don't forget scruples and drams! Easily the most important measurements to know. I had 5 doctors all decide that they hated pharmacists and use those measurements. The pharmacist called them up and was like "WTF is wrong with you people?"

Don't forget scruples and drams! Easily the most important measurements to know. I had 5 doctors all decide that they hated pharmacists and use those measurements. The pharmacist called them up and was like "WTF is wrong with you people?"

I would have to look those up. :laugh:

Just be grateful we don't have to actually know/use the old system. I picked up a book from the early 40's (I think it's Materia Medica) and took a pic of this page:

163089_907668174222_68131774_45820045_3031472_n.jpg

Hi everybody
I will also take a PTCB exam this summer and I already bought Mosby's review book. My question is will study only one book ensure chance for me to pass this test? If not, any suggestion? Thanks:)

Hi everybody
I will also take a PTCB exam this summer and I already bought Mosby's review book. My question is will study only one book ensure chance for me to pass this test? If not, any suggestion? Thanks:)

I'm honestly convinced I can pass the exam if I study pre-made notecards on Quizlets and the stuff on this website. The book seems to be only good for practice tests.

I have a question, or maybe just a complaint, as a pharmacy technician.

I work at a busy pharmacy, and we have a pharmacy clerk who does not like to actually do work. When our workload slowed down one day, another tech and I decided to make a list of things for him to do, because he was "bored." The pharmacist working was a floater pharmacist, and he kept to himself and left us to our work.

We asked the clerk to alphabetize all of the prescription bags that were ready for pick up, to which he replied "Are you serious?"
He complained and argued with us when we told him we were. After we found that he was only doing it based on the first 2 letters of the last name, we had to teach him the correct way to alphabetize, because he actually did not know how to. Scary, I know. What's worse is that he has worked here for over 2 years. He refused to alphabetize any more after he did the H's.

Is this NORMAL? Should I talk to the regular pharmacist when he is back from vacation? I have worked here a month now, and our efficiency could really use a boost.

I don't know, that sounds like a terrible use of someone's time. There was nothing else that could be done? If it is that slow, send someone home. Just my two cents.

It isn't a fun job, but the bags are all thrown into the bins. When a customer has more than one bag they are usually not near each other and they can get missed, just due to the volume of bags in the bins.

I don't know, I just assumed that it was part of the job.

It isn't a fun job, but the bags are all thrown into the bins. When a customer has more than one bag they are usually not near each other and they can get missed, just due to the volume of bags in the bins.

I don't know, I just assumed that it was part of the job.

I don't know - we just throw them in the bins. It's part of pickup to say "how many are you expecting" and if they don't know, you look through the whole bin.

What is the point of having someone completely alphabetize the bins if they aren't going to stay that way? I am not a fan of busy work. If you want bins completely alphabetized it needs to be done every day, every time scripts are put into the bins, not every-so-often when so-and-so works, if it's not too busy.

Study the top 200 brand-generic names. That can be integrated into many questions and there are questions that flat out want you to know them (what is the brand name of metformin?)

So do they ask you just conversion btw brand name/generic name, or do they also ask the general functions of those drugs?

hey guys quick question
do u have to take classes to become a pharm tech- cant u just take the test and become certified? i live in md btw!

I was wondering if anyone had a podcast with the top 200 drugs I could possibly download/borrow? I tried making my own flashcards but it's taking some time. Thanks ^.^

Ok. I ran into a hurdle. I live in NH and just finished my freshman year of undergrad-decided to pursue pharmacy. So, now I'm looking to become a certified tech. In NH, you just have to register with the board and it's not required, but it can't hurt to see a certification on my app. when it comes time to apply for pharm school.

Anyways, im on the national test site and it says that I need to have completed a program or worked a full year. I have done neither. However, I can apply for a waiver form.

I just can't seem to find where to apply for the waiver form :'(

Why is this process so convoluted???!?!

Ok. I ran into a hurdle. I live in NH and just finished my freshman year of undergrad-decided to pursue pharmacy. So, now I'm looking to become a certified tech. In NH, you just have to register with the board and it's not required, but it can't hurt to see a certification on my app. when it comes time to apply for pharm school.

Anyways, im on the national test site and it says that I need to have completed a program or worked a full year. I have done neither. However, I can apply for a waiver form.

I just can't seem to find where to apply for the waiver form :'(

Why is this process so convoluted???!?!

Is there a phone number for a helpdesk? Do they have a box where you can type in "waiver form" to do a search?

If it's neither, then I'd try it from google and include the name of the site in the search bar.

I am in Florida, so this may not apply to you.

I received a one year temp. license until I proved that I was certified. Once sending in certification my license was extended two years. Therefore my initial license was for three years, with renewals every two years thereafter.

Call and ask.

Hey amox!

I'm in Florida too, and I was looking to get my license. I had a couple of questions.. I would really appreciate it if you could help me :)

I am currently filling out the application for the Pharmacy Technician license. I am qualifying by the PTCB Certification. So what do I do with the section about the Affidavit Of Completed Coursework? Do I leave it blank?

Does anybody know any tricks or ways to get a tech job that is NOT in retail. I haven't gone through any training; I just took the test. Also I don't want to go through any training, I don't have time for it. Is there hope that I can find a tech job that is not retail in the state of Texas?

Does anybody know any tricks or ways to get a tech job that is NOT in retail. I haven't gone through any training; I just took the test. Also I don't want to go through any training, I don't have time for it. Is there hope that I can find a tech job that is not retail in the state of Texas?

Have you tried applying and following up? Not sure how many places will be willing to hire you if you are not willing to train though. If you have no time for training how will you have time to work?

Does anyone know how the requirements work in Oklahoma? I researched and all i could find was that you have to work in the pharmacy, get a basic orientation, apply for the test, pass, and then the pharmacist coaches you along.

http://www.nhanow.com/pharmacy-technician/requirements/oklahoma.aspx

above is the link to my findings. please let me know your interpretations. also i am not yet enrolled in any college classes. I am finishing my current marine corp contract. It ends August 2011 and i plan to attend pre-pharmacy in January 2011.

Does anyone know how the requirements work in Oklahoma? I researched and all i could find was that you have to work in the pharmacy, get a basic orientation, apply for the test, pass, and then the pharmacist coaches you along.

http://www.nhanow.com/pharmacy-technician/requirements/oklahoma.aspx

above is the link to my findings. please let me know your interpretations. also i am not yet enrolled in any college classes. I am finishing my current marine corp contract. It ends August 2011 and i plan to attend pre-pharmacy in January 2011.

Unless you live in a state that requires a formal pharm tech program (I think I recall someone mentioning Washington but I could be wrong), you can simply study for the test, take the test and pass, and apply for your certification. Some states (like mine) offer a "trainee" license that you can obtain to you can work in a pharmacy even before you are certified. Your best bet is to shoot an e-mail over to your state board of pharmacy and ask them directly. It's not that difficult to become a pharm tech and the test is pretty easy.