Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alloquots (spl) for sure. Ratios and percentages and some basic addition and subtraction. I vaguely remember a question on how much change to give someone if they paid with a 10 dollar bill.

There might be some conversions- like 1000ml = 1L, for example.

Members don't see this ad.

All right all right. I bet this question has been asked numerous times, but I just have to ask!

Can't I just take the PTCB exam and become a licensed pharmacy technician in the state of California?

Must I REALLY have to go to a school for training that would cost $11,000? I went to their first week of class and I already know everything. Everything that I could do on my own.

Please Please Please tell me there's a better way!

Yeah..that's exactly how I did it.:thumbup: I studied out of a book, took the PTCB and passed it, and then applied for a CA tech license. Trust me you don't need to go to school to take this test...its really really easy. Spend 25-30$ on a good book and save your money. I ended up getting an 830/900.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm studying the calculations, some I'm getting others I'm not. Then there are more & more:eek: Does anyone know which calculations sre used most on the test? Trying to narrow down my confusion.

Marika

Memorize the basic ones that are used in pharmacy. Once you work in a pharmacy you will know these like the back of your hand because you use them so much.

5 mL = 1 Teaspoon
3 Tsp = 1 Tbsp
1 oz = 30 mL
1 ml = 20 drops
1 pt = 473 ml
1 grain = 65 mg
1 L = 1000 mL

memorize these and you should be able to do any calculation on the PTCB exam.

Memorize the basic ones that are used in pharmacy. Once you work in a pharmacy you will know these like the back of your hand because you use them so much.

5 mL = 1 Teaspoon
3 Tsp = 1 Tbsp
1 oz = 30 mL
1 ml = 20 drops
1 pt = 473 ml
1 grain = 65 mg
1 L = 1000 mL

Great! I was studying the correct calculations :thumbup:. Thanks for sharing!!

This might have been asked before, but how does one apply for a CA tech license once one has passed the exam? How does one know their score? I took my test on July 1st and it is already the 15th and I have gotten nothing in the mail.

5 mL = 1 Teaspoon
3 Tsp = 1 Tbsp
1 oz = 30 mL
1 ml = 20 drops
1 pt = 473 ml
1 grain = 65 mg
1 L = 1000 mL

Only at CVS. Elsewhere 1 ml = 15 drops.

Hey Guys/Gals,

I lost my pharm tech certification about 6 months ago because I could not get all the CE credits done on time. Anyway, when I checked the CPHT Board website they said you can get reinstated if you finish the hours within a year from your expiration date and pay a reinstatement fee. So I finished the hours about a month ago and mailed my paperwork and check. The check has been cashed by CPHT Board, but I have not been notified by mail or email if I've been reinstated.

Just curious if anyone has gone through the same process. I didn't know if I should expect some sort of notification or just expect to receive my new certificate since my check has been cashed.

Thanks!

As a pre-pharmer, and a man who grew up with a father as a pharmacist. I am still optimistic about the profession. If you work harder than other people, put in your time and look for opportunities you can succeed. At least that is my plan. I also believe that we as future pharmacists need to grow up and stand up for our profession. That’s right be an active voice for the role of the pharmacist. Lobby state, local and Federal government to secure the role of pharmacists!!! You need to talk to whoever will listen about the benefits of their community pharmacist! I cannot count the number of times from working in a pharmacy I encounter people who have no idea what pharmacist do, and the skills they have! So you educate them! That is the only way we will survive as a profession in the medical profession crunch.

I personally would like to stay in rural Maryland, but will move anywhere in the US for a job when I get out of school. I do not care because I will need a job, to provide for my family and pay off debt. Even if it’s to work at a CVS, Walgreens, or a small hospital in nowhere USA whatever I am down for it! Physicians have the AMA, Dentists ADA, and Nurses have their own association. We have a tone of associations….JOIN THEM All AND GET INVOLVED! If you do not like what is happening in BC then in the USA you make sure it will not happen by fighting the ass hat multinational corps who only care about profits.

To my fellow Pre-pharmers who are wining and bitching the sky is falling, get an umbrella or find a new path! There are other things you can do for a living!

Thank you for posting this! I have been in technology sales for years and am working on my pre-pharm courses now. It has been pretty sad to read all the posts from individuals that are so down on pharmacy as a profession. A career is what you make it. If you want it bad enough and work hard enough, you will get to where you want to be. There is no easy path to being successful even with a quality education. You have to fight for what you want and be proactive about it. Sales is a tough business in a recession, but I am having an incredible year and am rapidly paying down debts and being able to cashflow my education. I'm not super-woman, I just realize that if I want to succeed I have to get up every day and work my butt off.

All industries change. It doesn't mean the change will necessarily be bad. And we can affect that change by making sure our voices are heard and that the individuals that are proposing the changes are educated about the effects.

As pharmacy technicians, what would you say was your most valuable experience you gain?

yeah. it was open. the manager said there were about 200 people that were interviewed before me :eek:
hopefully I get at least a callback :xf:

that's a load of bull...there is no way they are gonna take the time to interview even 100 people

As pharmacy technicians, what would you say was your most valuable experience you gain?

You gain the ability to be conversational in things pharmacy-related. When you answer questions during your school interview, you can use anecdotes related to your time in the pharmacy and demonstrate that you aren't naively choosing pharmacy as a profession.

It's not a requirement to be a tech to get into pharmacy school, but it is definitely a great thing to do. In some cases, it might even make you realize you want to pursue a different career. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
You gain the ability to be conversational in things pharmacy-related. When you answer questions during your school interview, you can use anecdotes related to your time in the pharmacy and demonstrate that you aren't naively choosing pharmacy as a profession.

It's not a requirement to be a tech to get into pharmacy school, but it is definitely a great thing to do. In some cases, it might even make you realize you want to pursue a different career. :smuggrin:

I am starting to think about a different career after working for CVS for a week and a half.:laugh:

I finished studying math and law portions but would like to really know how much of the drug names we to know. I really didn't even touch it but want to see if theres anything quick i can go over before i take the exam.:scared:

I have a question about hourly wage while working at cvs. I had a technician license before I was hired and I have been working about 2 months. My hourly wage is about 10.65 right now but Would I get raise in hourly rate as soon as I finish my training? Some of my friends I know that work at cvs gets paid about 15 dollars an hour.

Hey, this is my first post here at SDN pharmacy,
I was trying to sign up for the PCTB at PCTB.org, I have not, nor plan to, attended any kind of training course or class and was intending to self-study. When I tried to sign up to register for the test and it asked in which state I was trained and by which company. I know from some of the threads I have been reading that it is possible to sign up for the PCTB without taking a course, but I have scoured the pctb website and cannot find out how to do so, any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Darkarden

Hey, this is my first post here at SDN pharmacy,
I was trying to sign up for the PCTB at PCTB.org, I have not, nor plan to, attended any kind of training course or class and was intending to self-study. When I tried to sign up to register for the test and it asked in which state I was trained and by which company. I know from some of the threads I have been reading that it is possible to sign up for the PCTB without taking a course, but I have scoured the pctb website and cannot find out how to do so, any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Darkarden

Leave it blank! You can move on with registration w/o entering company/class in. There is also a similar thing you'll face after you take the exam, as an exit survey thing. It'll ask you what class you attended, etc... I left it all blank. "Self-study" was not an option in "how did you prepare for this test?" When in doubt, leave it blank!

I need pharm tech experience. Can someone help me out with this? I've already applied to all of the large chain pharmacies like CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. I called Target Pharmacy, but they said that they're looking for someone with a pharm tech license. I know it's hard to find a job without a license, but I also know that there should be some out there. If anyone has any information on where else I should look, can you please help me out? Thanks A lot!

Thanks for the response! However, I tried leaving it blank, or rather as "Not listed." The problem is the options for your answers are drop down menus, so Its either "Select State" and "Select School" or "Not listed", If I leave it as the former it won't let me continue, if I leave not listed I feel I've misrepresented myself. There is no option for "Not trained" or the like, and as I said I have scoured the site looking for some sort of alternative option and there is none. Any insight?
Thanks,
Darkarden

Thanks for the response! However, I tried leaving it blank, or rather as "Not listed." The problem is the options for your answers are drop down menus, so Its either "Select State" and "Select School" or "Not listed", If I leave it as the former it won't let me continue, if I leave not listed I feel I've misrepresented myself. There is no option for "Not trained" or the like, and as I said I have scoured the site looking for some sort of alternative option and there is none. Any insight?
Thanks,
Darkarden

I don't remember what I put (I was in the same situation as yours), but I called PTCB. I'd suggest doing the same since you're totally unsure.

Thanks,
Darkarden

Hm, it was a long time ago, but I too was self-trained (Mosby's!) and had no formal schooling for it. If you can't progress forward via any answer, I totally can't remember how to do it. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will remember!

Ah, I'll call them up tomorrow then, thanks a bunch! :)

Darkarden

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the PTCB test without having a high school diploma? I don't have either of them but I'll have my BS in Biochemistry in Dec, and plus it just doesn't make sense to me that a BS holder is not qualified to take the test.

In California, is there any reason that I would need to renew my PTCB certification in addition to my CPhT? Just to clarify/restate, I am already certified as a pharmacy technician by the Calfornia State Board of Pharmacy, and I am planning to renew that license.

In California, is there any reason that I would need to renew my PTCB certification in addition to my CPhT? Just to clarify/restate, I am already certified as a pharmacy technician by the Calfornia State Board of Pharmacy, and I am planning to renew that license.

You are REQUIRED to maintain your California Pharmacy Tech License, the PTCB certification you can lapse on that if you wish, but in most places you get a pay raise for being certified. I am a tech at Walgreens and being certified nets me a $1.00 raise per hour of working. If you work at a retail establishment they will most likely foot the bill for your recertification as well =]

hey guys..i have a question..so i took the exam and got the certification from the PTCB...however, Do i also need to get the license from the CA board to call myself a pharmacy technician?...can i claim the title of "pharmacy technician" with just my PTCB certification?

If I remember right, the "CPhT" (Certified Pharmacy Technician) is the title granted to people who pass the PTCE and who are in good standing with the PTCB.

State registration doesn't give you a title (except maybe "registered" or something like that).

However, if you lived in a state where certification wasn't required and you just had to register, your "title" would be granted just based on the fact that you'd be working as a Pharm Tech.

You are REQUIRED to maintain your California Pharmacy Tech License, the PTCB certification you can lapse on that if you wish, but in most places you get a pay raise for being certified. I am a tech at Walgreens and being certified nets me a $1.00 raise per hour of working. If you work at a retail establishment they will most likely foot the bill for your recertification as well =]

So just to be clear, in the state of California, you DON'T need your PTCB certification to be renewed to maintain your Pharmacy Tech license correct? I work at Rite Aid so I don't get anything extra for being certified. I had already renewed my license which now expires in 2012. PTCB just sent me a letter a few weeks ago to renew my certification but if I don't have to then I won't. I just couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. I've contacted the California Pharmacy Board and they have not responded. PTCB just gave me a roundabout answer and NABP was not able to help.

So I just took my tech test and I passed. I now need to get my actual license, but I feel really stupid because I cannot find the application online, can anyone send me a link? I know you have to get passport pictures, fingerprinted and send in an application, but I cannot find where all this information is, so any help would be great!!

Also I used to work at CVS and most give about a 2$ pay raise after you pass the PTCB, so make sure to ask about that!!! Also fyi private pharmacies pay much better!!!

So I just took my tech test and I passed. I now need to get my actual license, but I feel really stupid because I cannot find the application online, can anyone send me a link? I know you have to get passport pictures, fingerprinted and send in an application, but I cannot find where all this information is, so any help would be great!!

Also I used to work at CVS and most give about a 2$ pay raise after you pass the PTCB, so make sure to ask about that!!! Also fyi private pharmacies pay much better!!!

I work at CVS as a CPhT and they do not give a pay raise if you pass the PTCB exam.

I have a question guys- Is it better to self study for the PTCE and then take the test OR apply to Walgreens/CVS and while working there take the PTCE? Is it possible to get a Pharmacy Tech job without a license but get a license after you pass the exam/done with training. I'm just confused after reading some posts on this thread. I want to self study for the exam and take it but how am I supposed to get experience since most employers require experience?

I have a question guys- Is it better to self study for the PTCE and then take the test OR apply to Walgreens/CVS and while working there take the PTCE? Is it possible to get a Pharmacy Tech job without a license but get a license after you pass the exam/done with training. I'm just confused after reading some posts on this thread. I want to self study for the exam and take it but how am I supposed to get experience since most employers require experience?

I would probably apply and start studying at the same time. If you get the job, then continue studying. If you don't, then continuing studying and pass the exam. I waited a year and attended an evening class at the college for Pharmacy Technicians before attempting to take the test.

My reasoning: I didn't deserve to be certified without any experience or actual working knowledge. This was my opinion. I am glad I chose to wait because I felt better prepared for the exam. Honestly, the pharmacists I worked with didn't really care if you had no experience but just got your certification. They knew that training would still be needed.

Best,

Steven

Do you know if the tech jobs at Walgreens/CVS require certification or no?

Do you know if the tech jobs at Walgreens/CVS require certification or no?

No they don't "officially" but if they had 2 similar applications for 1 job the one certified will probably get it (without outstanding experience differences or something).

CVS is who I worked for. They will start you from beginning to end (clerk to pharmacy associate to pharm tech to certified pharm tech.)

If you finish all the training and have been there 6 months (heard they might make it a year) then they pay for your certification and you SHOULD get a pay raise (some districts were wimping out on it though.)

Just get in the door, they will teach you the rest when it comes time. But if they want someone certified, get certified. In some states (NC for example) techs who are nationally certified don't count again the pharmacist-technician ratio instilled by the state (according to my PIC at least).

Also, I would wait if possible just like rx said. When I took the exam there were some questions that I never remembered reading in any review books (what temp do you store liquid furosemide, which is room temp) and brand-generic names come a lot easier as well as the basic interactions with coumadin and such. It's easier to learn it with application than reading although the law and hospital stuff you will just have to learn.

All right all right. I bet this question has been asked numerous times, but I just have to ask!

Can't I just take the PTCB exam and become a licensed pharmacy technician in the state of California?

Must I REALLY have to go to a school for training that would cost $11,000? I went to their first week of class and I already know everything. Everything that I could do on my own.

Please Please Please tell me there's a better way!

I know this is an old thread but would like to share my experience. I took the excpt exam and pass the first try. But I believe that there's a difference between the two exams.
The only con I see by taking the exam is that I didn't have formal training or experience that I would have obtain from the school. It was difficult to obtain a job with no experience of formal training but I know most of the stuff from the science classes that I was taking.
What I did was walked up to pharmacy and asked to talk to a pharmacist to see if he/she was busy and explain that I was a pre-pharm student looking for experience.
It took about a 1-2 years to obtain a job in the field but know I work for a private compounding pharmacy.
Hope this benefit you!!!

Anyone know what hospital tech positions pay in relation to retail positions? I was making $12.50 at my last job in retail w/o certification, now Im interviewing for a hospital tech job with certification and Im trying to figure out what I should request for pay If i am asked.

Is it worth getting a License now?

I just got accepted into graduate school, and I'm taking off Mid April-July for traveling. July, I start school.

So right now its 1/21/2011. I was thinking of taking the test on the 24, and applying for jobs right away to work for 2 1/2 months. (of course, in the interview I will say I want to work for forever) Will anyone even hire me considering that I won't have my certification exactly? I heard you have to get registered etc even once you pass the test, and that registering takes a while 1-2 months?

That being said, even though I pass the test, I can't technically worked until I'm registered or something? I'm really considering putting down the 130$ for the test...but on the other hand, if I can't even get a job, whats the point of wasting money.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I'm from CA.

Is it worth getting a License now?

I just got accepted into graduate school, and I'm taking off Mid April-July for traveling. July, I start school.

So right now its 1/21/2011. I was thinking of taking the test on the 24, and applying for jobs right away to work for 2 1/2 months. (of course, in the interview I will say I want to work for forever) Will anyone even hire me considering that I won't have my certification exactly? I heard you have to get registered etc even once you pass the test, and that registering takes a while 1-2 months?

That being said, even though I pass the test, I can't technically worked until I'm registered or something? I'm really considering putting down the 130$ for the test...but on the other hand, if I can't even get a job, whats the point of wasting money.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I'm from CA.

I feel that having a tech license is great for students that are planning to apply to pharmacy school someday, as it does make the individual's application look much more competitive, however, since you've been accepted already, the school will most likely advise the students to apply for the intern license, thus the tech license wont be needed.

This is definitely a SCAM..EVERYONE, DO NOT register for the course at Virtual Institute of Pharmacy, Career Academy of New York, www.virtualcoursehost.com, www.pharmacytech.org!!!... I've taken the course and there's no such thing as a diploma or certificate of completion, when you are near completion, they stopped responding to your inquiry they say they're accredited by the ASOPP, if you click on that website, both websites are set up the same way and are affiliated!!! TRUST ME, i have been a victim and if you google this website, several others have the same issue!! Their address is a PO BOX, and no one ever picks up on their contact numbers and if you leave a message, no one will return your call!!!!

Hello I couldnt help but notice you post. I recently came across the virtual institute online and I have actually spoke with someone from the school regarding the course but I was a bit leary about signing up for the progra, So this is a SCAM? Thank you,

There is a section in the CA pharmacy tech application that states

"AFFIDAVIT OF COMPLETED COURSEWORK OR GRADUATION"
This portion must be completed by the university, college, school or course provider

Is it required to bring this application back to my college for them to fill it out for me? :confused:

There is a section in the CA pharmacy tech application that states

"AFFIDAVIT OF COMPLETED COURSEWORK OR GRADUATION"
This portion must be completed by the university, college, school or course provider

Is it required to bring this application back to my college for them to fill it out for me? :confused:

Today is March 14th 2011, I live in the East Bay and called CVS Vallejo, CVS Fairfield, CVS Sacramento and spoke with the pharmacists. I asked about the job market for pharmTechs and the prospects are dismal. CVS pharmacist Fairfield said there are more pharmTechs doing something besides working in pharmacy. CVS Sacramento said the hours have been cut so much for all retail pharmacies, CVS Vallejo said only 1 in 100 of their applicants gets the job.

I was considering taking the PTCB but given the outlook I might as well hang onto my $129.

I got a Walgreens to agree to give me a month long 40hr/week unpaid internship...that then resulted in a job. I am not certified. If you're willing to put in the work, you'll find a way.

Hi everyone, I know I should be frequenting these forums more often, and I'll likely do so now that I'm actually registered. But I have a question.

I got my pharm tech license (in CA) last year for the first time in March 2010, and my license says it expires today April 30, 2011. Yet everything I've read saying that the license needs to be renewed every two years.

Is that expiration a typo? Should it actually say April 30, 2012? Is there any circumstance when the license would only be for one year?

My certification appropriately has the two year window for expiration.

Any info is appreciated.

Hey guys, rather than start a new thread I found this one and figured I would ask my questions here instead.

I am currently nineteen years old and looking for work, and I've been heavily considering the idea of working as a Pharmacy Tech.

-From what I understand, you merely have to pass the test in the state of Indiana in order to be qualified--is that correct? And if that's the case, would you recommend taking any courses or merely studying on your own? If the latter, what books do you recommend using?

-Also, would there be any benefits in the career of medicine with having Pharmacy Tech experience under your belt? I am not interested in being a Pharmacy student, but I am interested in other aspects of medicine.

I plan on aiming for this even if it doesn't give me any sense of benefit, because honestly it sounds more appealing to me than working in fast food or other retail jobs throughout college like I have been.

Hi everyone, I know I should be frequenting these forums more often, and I'll likely do so now that I'm actually registered. But I have a question.

I got my pharm tech license (in CA) last year for the first time in March 2010, and my license says it expires today April 30, 2011. Yet everything I've read saying that the license needs to be renewed every two years.

Is that expiration a typo? Should it actually say April 30, 2012? Is there any circumstance when the license would only be for one year?

My certification appropriately has the two year window for expiration.

Any info is appreciated.

I am in Florida, so this may not apply to you.

I received a one year temp. license until I proved that I was certified. Once sending in certification my license was extended two years. Therefore my initial license was for three years, with renewals every two years thereafter.

Call and ask.