Pharmacy school is so depressing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah! Im so nervous to start pharmacy school in September. I still have a lot of time. Do you think it is necessary for me to review on specific topics before entering? 9 months is quite a bit of time away from the books. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go over anything before school starts. I didn't do any preparing ahead of time, and I did fine first semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go over anything before school starts. I didn't do any preparing ahead of time, and I did fine first semester.

That depends on the individual student's background though.

Everyone comes from a different background, so we have to consider that.

That depends on the individual student's background though.

Everyone comes from a different background, so we have to consider that.

I think just taking the time off to relax is best. That's just my opinion. Before I started pharmacy school, I had a year off, so nothing was really fresh. I just think there will be lots of time to study and worry once school actually starts, and you can focus on what you actually need to know vs just studying a bunch of things that might not be of any use to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
With time/age comes perspective. Yes I understand a great deal has changed over the 27 years I have been out of school. But grades are a snapshot in time. They are not all encompassing. You of course went with the personal attack against a grammatical error and where I choose to practice. Of course you present no logical argument against the point I made. I guess logic and argument were two subjects not included in your education. What good is getting an A on a college course if 10 years later you don't know the material when you need it? When was the last time you asked your doctor/dentist/lawyer/pharmacist where they went to school and what their GPA was before you decided to use their services? Does it matter that I graduated with honors? Does it matter I won the clinical award in my senior year? No, it doesn't mean anything to the people I take care of every day. Not once did I say it's not important to do well in school or strive for excellence. I just don't consider test scores the ultimate measure of your ability. As I pointed out there are many people who cram for exams, get high grades and forget everything 10 minutes later.

As long as you know you have disparaged the 65% of the pharmacists who practice in the retail setting with your diatribe against community practice. I won't dignify that with a response. Your stupidity stands alone out there for the all world to see.

Where above did I say that grades a) matter or b) predict performance as a pharmacist?

Where?

Show me.

I'd like to see!

Copy and paste it.

All I said was that I have my own reasons for wanting to do well. That's it. Is that a crime?

As far as disparaging pharmacists, well I won't apologize for speaking the truth. You don't need to learn the material in Pharmacy school to work as a pharmacist. Receive prescription, fill it, see you later...lol..I've even heard retail pharmacists say they can't believe people spend 8 years in school to do that job hahah

As far as disparaging pharmacists, well I won't apologize for speaking the truth. You don't need to learn the material in Pharmacy school to work as a pharmacist. Receive prescription, fill it, see you later...lol..I've even heard retail pharmacists say they can't believe people spend 8 years in school to do that job hahah

Truth, you having only a passing acquaintance with same....

It's been nice speaking with you. All good things must come to an end. Just let me know what hospital you get a job with so I can stay the hell out.

Where above did I say that grades a) matter or b) predict performance as a pharmacist?

Where?

Show me.

I'd like to see!

Copy and paste it.

All I said was that I have my own reasons for wanting to do well. That's it. Is that a crime?

I don't see why that matters. He's just giving you advice and you're refusing to take it. You could at least read what the pharmacist has to say and at least keep that in mind for later.

You never to know what kind of a situation can show up in retail until you run into one.

It bugs me when ppl try to talk me out of wanting to do well.

I want to get A's. I have my reasons. What's it to you?

They say C's make PharmD's, blah blah.....

+1

Getting all A's = ~10K scholarship at my school
You would be a fool to not get it. LOL....

+1

Getting all A's = ~10K scholarship at my school
You would be a fool to not get it. LOL....

That is one heck of an awesome incentive. Besides knowing that you did well too obviously. LOL

I guess I'm just different than a lot of people, but I'm not satisfied with just getting average grades even if it seemingly 'doesn't matter'. I didn't need a 4.0 in high school but it felt good to do it. Then I ****ed up my junior year in college and got C's and it felt horrible. Maybe I'm just weird... I don't need above average grades to feel good about myself but if I KNOW I can do it then I feel bad if I do less.

That is one heck of an awesome incentive. Besides knowing that you did well too obviously. LOL

I guess I'm just different than a lot of people, but I'm not satisfied with just getting average grades even if it seemingly 'doesn't matter'. I didn't need a 4.0 in high school but it felt good to do it. Then I ****ed up my junior year in college and got C's and it felt horrible. Maybe I'm just weird... I don't need above average grades to feel good about myself but if I KNOW I can do it then I feel bad if I do less.

But it DOES matter....it matters too much! :laugh: People that don't think grades matter also believe that there is still a huge shortage of pharmacists AND that they are guarantee to get a job easily after graduation. :rolleyes: I have heard a few people in my class say...C= degrees and everyone is guarantee a job anyways!!! Well, those people still live in la la land...LOL...with the current saturation I will not be surprise that jobs will be so hard to find that it would almost be impossible to find a job without having done some sort of residency. Grades matter especially since jobs aren't GUARANTEE upon graduation like it was 20 years ago.

Plus it does feel damn good to see a 4.0 GPA on my transcript every semester! ;)

But it DOES matter....it matters too much! :laugh: People that don't think grades matter also believe that there is still a huge shortage of pharmacists AND that they are guarantee to get a job easily after graduation. :rolleyes: I have heard a few people in my class say...C= degrees and everyone is guarantee a job anyways!!! Well, those people still live in la la land...LOL...with the current saturation I will not be surprise that jobs will be so hard to find that it would almost be impossible to find a job without having done some sort of residency. Grades matter especially since jobs aren't GUARANTEE upon graduation like it was 20 years ago.

Tell that to the people opening up more pharmacy schools. If that was really going on, it will be just a waste of money to have so many more schools and increasing enrollment in the new schools also.

Plus it does feel damn good to see a 4.0 GPA on my transcript every semester! ;)

SNOB :laugh:

It seems like finding pharmacy school internships during the summer outside of retail is hard. Blah. I'm applying to a really good one for this summer, but I'd like to look for some back ups. I guess more internet searching for me. :)

Oh, and to add to what I was saying to SHC, if jobs aren't guaranteed, then my school would not have increased class sizes over the past years.

According to salary surveys from my school's website, 96% of the graduates in '08 and 96% of the graduates in '09 accepted positions before graduating.

Oh, and to add to what I was saying to SHC, if jobs aren't guaranteed, then my school would not have increased class sizes over the past years.

Schools increase class size to increase in THEIR personal profit...let's see 100 students X 30K each per year for tuition IS NOT as much as 150 students X 30K each per year for tuition!
The schools increase their class size has nothing to do with the demand for pharmacists, they could care less if you have a job or not when you graduate. The only thing the schools care about is making money and collecting tuition from as many people as possible.
The same thing is true for new schools. They are opening up to make $$$. Who doesn't want 30K a year from 100 to 200 people EACH for free? :laugh: Whether or not the students get a job or not is the last thing they care about.

Everything that opens is for PERSONAL PROFIT only. Do you think restaurants open b/c 1) they want to make $$$ or 2) they only opened b/c they care about feeding people and making sure they never go hungry again.

Which one do YOU think is the reason? LOL...

Last edited:
Schools increase class size to increase in THEIR personal profit...let's see 100 students X 30K each per year for tuition IS NOT as much as 150 students X 30K each per year for tuition!
The schools increase their class size has nothing to do with the demand for pharmacists, they could care less if you have a job or not when you graduate. The only thing the schools care about is making money and collecting tuition from as many people as possible.
The same thing is true for new schools. They are opening up to make $$$. Who doesn't want 30K a year from 100 to 200 people EACH for free? :laugh: Whether or not the students get a job or not is the last thing they care about.

Everything that opens is for PERSONAL PROFIT only. Do you think restaurants open b/c 1) they want to make $$$ or 2) they only opened b/c they care about feeding people and making sure they never go hungry again.

Which one do YOU think is the reason? LOL...

I see what you are saying, but if people start not getting as many jobs, then there will be a decrease in the number of students in the applicant pool, and that will eventually decrease the class sizes and some schools might have to close.

If 100 people graduate and maybe only 80 get jobs, then years after that, it could eventually go down to where only 80-90 people actually want to start pharmacy school. And that would keep them from opening new schools and some of the schools that have already opened would just have smaller class sizes and not as many graduates.

The only thing you should be doing to prepare to start school is saving money. The random stuff you need $$$ for is ridiculous.

I see what you are saying, but if people start not getting as many jobs, then there will be a decrease in the number of students in the applicant pool, and that will eventually decrease the class sizes and some schools might have to close.

If 100 people graduate and maybe only 80 get jobs, then years after that, it could eventually go down to where only 80-90 people actually want to start pharmacy school. And that would keep them from opening new schools and some of the schools that have already opened would just have smaller class sizes and not as many graduates.

Interesting. how supply and demand can almost instantaneously equilibrate

Last edited:
Wow, come on, people. No need to play the part of kill joy.