Pharmacy school is so depressing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surely you realize, WVU, that I wasn't talking to you or about you with my reply. I know you're not that obtuse. Do you bitch about residencies? Sure, but you don't come off as being above the people doing one/that have done one. That's the attitude I can't stand with pharmdstudent.

Oh, I know its not directed at me...but everyone gets to hear my opinion because I'm an internet loudmouth. Best invention ever it is. The internet. Not my opinion. Although my opinion comes in a close second.

Members don't see this ad.

To say that PharmDstudent is belittling residencies because he/she can't handle it is immature.
Thank you.

I just don't get off by sacrificing myself, is all. I've done enough self-sacrificing in my life, as I'll be walking out of generational poverty in about 7 months... So, the idea of working sooooo hard for half the pay just to be called "the resident" doesn't sit very well with me... even though people won't stop asking if I'm going to do a residency! I just hear it from people way too much... like they expect me to do one... and that irritates me.

Oh, and I don't plan on going into retail full-time, whoever brought that up! I would like a mix, maybe as a retail floater or relief pharmacist here and there on days off from the hospital.

So yeah... Screw all y'all haters! :laugh: j/k... sorta... :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Thank you.

I just don't get off by sacrificing myself, is all. I've done enough self-sacrificing in my life, as I'll be walking out of generational poverty in about 7 months... So, the idea of working sooooo hard for half the pay just to be called "the resident" doesn't sit very well with me... even though people won't stop asking if I'm going to do a residency! I just hear it from people way too much... like they expect me to do one... and that irritates me.

Oh, and I don't plan on going into retail full-time, whoever brought that up! I would like a mix, maybe as a retail floater or relief pharmacist here and there on days off from the hospital.

So yeah... Screw all y'all haters! :laugh: j/k... sorta... :smuggrin:

If you don't do a residency how can you get a job in a hospital? I thought the only option you have is retail unless you do a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't do a residency how can you get a job in a hospital? I thought the only option you have is retail unless you do a residency.

Not at all. You're confusing "clinical" hospital jobs with the non-clinical types. Most, but not all, clinical jobs require a residency. Staffing positions, which are by far the more common type, need no such thing (for the most part).

This may change down the line, as residency training becomes more prevalent, but there are many, many career paths in pharmacy that don't require a residency. I hate that schools almost fool students into thinking that the only way out of retail is through a residency. I personally plan on doing one, but it is by no means a necessary career choice.

The hospital pharmacy I worked at didn't have anyone who did a residency in the pharmacy proper. Even the ICU pharmacies had non-residency trained PharmD's and even some older RPh's. The clinical pharmacists that worked on the floors though all had some sort of residency under their belt. So it is possible to work in a hospital without a residency but you are limited to "indirect" patient care.

That's what the schools and residency programs want you to think, along with ASHP (which has called for all pharmacists who "provide direct patient care" to have a residency by 2020- I think that's the date). However, when you actually get out and start talking to people, it's not completely necessary unless you want to do something specialized, like oncology.

Thanks for all the quick responses! :D I am still not sure if I want to do a residency or not...and I am still undecided on what I want to do when I get out...I just know I am 99.999999999% sure it will not be retail! :laugh:

The job market is getting more and more competitve everyday...I really hope it doesn't eventually lead to required residencies.

The job market is getting more and more competitve everyday...I really hope it doesn't eventually lead to required residencies.
Me too.
I live in a state that has a chronic shortage of hospital pharmacists, so I'm not worried about it at all (unless I get settled in and want to move into a clinical position that requires more than BCPS certification).

Right now though, I want to graduate and enjoy my life for a little while. Is that so strange??? :p

Oh, and I remember only about 5 students in our pharmacy class raising their hands when asked if they planned on working in a hospital pharmacy... so that should tell you something about hospital job prospects around here... even with this economy! :D

Graveyard pharmacist anyone? ;)

The hospital pharmacy I worked at didn't have anyone who did a residency in the pharmacy proper. Even the ICU pharmacies had non-residency trained PharmD's and even some older RPh's. The clinical pharmacists that worked on the floors though all had some sort of residency under their belt. So it is possible to work in a hospital without a residency but you are limited to "indirect" patient care.
Says who? Since when? Did they change what you can do with a PharmD or something? :confused:

Come on... humor me... :D

I guess with some people, if they feel forced to jump through a ring of fire, then they will. I'd rather walk around it...

Don't y'all just love me? :p I love y'all!!! :)

aboveliquidice,
Was that sassy enough for you? :D
PharmDstudent :love:

Last edited:
Says who? Since when? Did they change what you can do with a PharmD or something? :confused:

Come on... humor me... :D

I thought by putting indirect in quotation marks I was making it clear... apparently not.

In the hospital where I worked the pharmacists that did not do a residency were the ones that worked in the actual, physical pharmacies. They did "indirect" patient care as in approving meds through Cerner and whatnot and checking the pyxis meds before they went to the floor. They in no way had direct patient contact. This is not to say that they wouldn't be able to do direct patient care if they wanted to, they just chose not to.

PS: On a side note, isn't great how this thread went from a pharmacy student needing some encouragement to get through pharmacy school to an argument about residencies?

On a side note, isn't great how this thread went from a pharmacy student needing some encouragement to get through pharmacy school to an argument about residencies?

Yes!!!

I thought by putting indirect in quotation marks I was making it clear... apparently not.

In the hospital where I worked the pharmacists that did not do a residency were the ones that worked in the actual, physical pharmacies. They did "indirect" patient care as in approving meds through Cerner and whatnot and checking the pyxis meds before they went to the floor. They in no way had direct patient contact. This is not to say that they wouldn't be able to do direct patient care if they wanted to, they just chose not to.

PS: On a side note, isn't great how this thread went from a pharmacy student needing some encouragement to get through pharmacy school to an argument about residencies?
"Indirect" is clear. It brings to mind "order-entry".
I had a problem with the word "limited".

I just finished a rotation at a hospital where pharmacists had mixed duties, "order-entry" and "clinical". It was cool! :)
Sometimes you have to call out the workaholic, gunner-type complainers (who put themselves in that situation in the first place) for what they are... even though it makes me feel bad :(... as strange as that sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just finished a rotation at a hospital where pharmacists had mixed duties, "order-entry" and "clinical". It was cool! :)

Sometimes you have to call out the workaholic, gunner-type complainers (who put themselves in that situation in the first place) for what they are... even though it makes me feel bad :(... as strange as that sounds.

Ok, I see how "limited" could be seen as having a negative connotation there, but that's not what I meant. I'm sure each hospital has different policies but the one I worked at definitively separated the clinical from non-clinical pharmacists. I think having mixed duties would be great and I hope I can find myself in that situation when I graduate.

Seriously, get over yourself. No one here complains about being a resident. I'm going the way of Glycerin and using the ignore function for the first time ever.... I have yet to see you type anything worth reading in my yrs of posting here. Useless babble...

Seriously, get over yourself. No one here complains about being a resident. I'm going the way of Glycerin and using the ignore function for the first time ever.... I have yet to see you type anything worth reading in my yrs of posting here. Useless babble...
:laugh: What a poor sport!

Ah, the great lie. That's really what they want....this new concept that only people who have a PGY-1 done residencies can do "clinical" things in hospital. That's total bull****. The idea that some kid who did an extra year of clinical rotations (even if its 180 hours a week or whatever) is more apt towards doing crap like going on medicine rounds than a 15 year vet is ridiculous...but those in academia are seriously painting the picture of how the world works that way.

At UPMC in Pittsburgh, I'll see ads that require either 2 years of hospital experience or a PGY-1 residency as a requirement for a job. I guess I could buy that. If they really spend 60 hours a week at work, perhaps one year of residency is equal to two year of generalized working in a hospital.

But I totally agree with PharmDStudent. It never ends. People just keep wanting to get more an more titles. First there was just the BS...then they made the PharmD standard...now they are trying to make a residency standard.

And this is the part where she and I see eye to eye and I wish everyone in the profession would take a second to think about...

What is really happening is that more and more of the financial burden of training is being pushed upon the individual while the hospitals and corporations spend less money on labor and training. All you have to do is mask it all with the facade of prestige and everyone will accept it. It's quite simple. It's great for them, "Hmm...we used to have to spend months training people out of school...at full pay...now we can pay them essentially minimum wage for a year while getting 1.5 years of work out of them. Woohoo!"

Somewhere an evil corporate henchmen is wringing his fingers, laughing...thinking to himself, "They bought it...hook...line...sinker..."

Residents need to demand full pay. Everyone else is getting paid a full, competitive salary to be trained post-graduation. You folks are devaluing the worth of new graduates. Stop and think about that for a second...

THIS is what myself and PharmDStudent object to so adamantly...

Ah, the great lie. That's really what they want....this new concept that only people who have a PGY-1 done residencies can do "clinical" things in hospital. That's total bull****. The idea that some kid who did an extra year of clinical rotations (even if its 180 hours a week or whatever) is more apt towards doing crap like going on medicine rounds than a 15 year vet is ridiculous...but those in academia are seriously painting the picture of how the world works that way.

At UPMC in Pittsburgh, I'll see ads that require either 2 years of hospital experience or a PGY-1 residency as a requirement for a job. I guess I could buy that. If they really spend 60 hours a week at work, perhaps one year of residency is equal to two year of generalized working in a hospital.

But I totally agree with PharmDStudent. It never ends. People just keep wanting to get more an more titles. First there was just the BS...then they made the PharmD standard...now they are trying to make a residency standard.

And this is the part where she and I see eye to eye and I wish everyone in the profession would take a second to think about...

What is really happening is that more and more of the financial burden of training is being pushed upon the individual while the hospitals and corporations spend less money on labor and training. All you have to do is mask it all with the facade of prestige and everyone will accept it. It's quite simple. It's great for them, "Hmm...we used to have to spend months training people out of school...at full pay...now we can pay them essentially minimum wage for a year while getting 1.5 years of work out of them. Woohoo!"

Somewhere an evil corporate henchmen is wringing his fingers, laughing...thinking to himself, "They bought it...hook...line...sinker..."

Residents need to demand full pay. Everyone else is getting paid a full, competitive salary to be trained post-graduation. You folks are devaluing the worth of new graduates. Stop and think about that for a second...

I totally see where you are coming from. It's more of a supply and demand. 20 years ago there was an actual shortage of pharmacists and therefore corporations were the "beggers" and desperately needed pharmacists to work for them. Corporations would offer sign on bonuses, full training+ generous salaries, NO residencies required, just a BS will do. With such a shortage back then corporations can't afford to be picky. However, times have changed since then...now pharmacists are at a huge surplus, there are more pharmacists out there than there are actual jobs available and pharmacists are now the "beggers" and desperately need jobs from corporations. Maybe not right now, but I can see residencies being mandatory in a few years from now. There is just too many pharmacists graduating each year and not enough positions...a residency is require to weed out people is what I see. Beggers can't be choosers. :rolleyes: The only way to get rid of residencies is to get rid of all these new pharmacy schools popping up every year creating a surplus of pharmacists.

Thank you. :) *sigh* I was getting tired...

One person from my class of 85 landed a staff hospital position upon graduation. And she had interned at that hospital for 3 years and still had to fight for that position.

I do not feel disrespected in my residency, nor do I feel underpaid. I do happen to be at one of the higher paying residencies (making $19K/yr more than the lowest paying one I interviewed with). The reason to do thos is the breadth of experience- not only am I rounding, but I have administrative duties that none of the staff pharmacists here or at mt prior hospital did. A lot of it is meetings, but if you're interested in the DOP or clinical coordinator route, it's important to see where they spend their time.

I'm tired. I am working very hard. I don't disrespect those who went into retail (thank you!! So I don't have to!) Because we all enjoy different facets of the profession. Nor do I look down on those who chose not to do a residency - but why do you feel the need to rag on my choice? Its an opportunity to test drive a place to live with no obligation to be there longer than 1 year.

but why do you feel the need to rag on my choice?.

Because it devalues the worth of a new graduate. The more popular they become, the more the retail places will see "value" in a residency, they will start to require them, and even more financial burden is shifted to young pharmacists. It isn't the residency itself. It's that its set up to take advantage of you.

Last edited:
JamesL1585 said:
yes I overextend myself with presidency this and fellowship that... but its necessary if I want to be able to delegate my responsibilities on other people in my life

LOL... if you mean you want to get promoted to manager one day so you can hand off your duties to someone else and live a carefree worryfree life u should know that the responsibility and stress only goes up with promotions.. so dont overextend yourself in school with the hope of shirking your responsibilities one day- its a false hope.

One person from my class of 85 landed a staff hospital position upon graduation. And she had interned at that hospital for 3 years and still had to fight for that position.

I do not feel disrespected in my residency, nor do I feel underpaid. I do happen to be at one of the higher paying residencies (making $19K/yr more than the lowest paying one I interviewed with). The reason to do thos is the breadth of experience- not only am I rounding, but I have administrative duties that none of the staff pharmacists here or at mt prior hospital did. A lot of it is meetings, but if you're interested in the DOP or clinical coordinator route, it's important to see where they spend their time.

I'm tired. I am working very hard. I don't disrespect those who went into retail (thank you!! So I don't have to!) Because we all enjoy different facets of the profession. Nor do I look down on those who chose not to do a residency - but why do you feel the need to rag on my choice? Its an opportunity to test drive a place to live with no obligation to be there longer than 1 year.
I'm very proud of your work... :) Keep up the good work!

because it devalues the worth of a new graduate. The more popular they become, the more the retail places will see "value" in a residency, they will start to require them, and even more financial burden is shifted to young pharmacists. It isn't the residency itself. It's that its set up to take advantage of you.
Quoted for truth...

LOL... if you mean you want to get promoted to manager one day so you can hand off your duties to someone else and live a carefree worryfree life u should know that the responsibility and stress only goes up with promotions.. so dont overextend yourself in school with the hope of shirking your responsibilities one day- its a false hope.

And you know this from experience?

JamesL1585 said:

And you know this from experience?

nope, just my opinion.. take it or leave it.. or ask a manager anywhere.

Another clueless student...

To compare a medical and pharmacy residency is silly. They are different practices with different responsibilities. It is different kind of stress. Medical residents do put in more hours than me at the hospital, but I take a lot more work home with me. We do patient care part, plus a slew of other projects and presentations that medical residents don't do. I see death in the hospital all the time. Our pharmacists are in charge of the medication cart in a code situtation....pulling meds, drawing up doses (hell I've even been asked to do a few chest compression since I was the first person in the room)...it is stressful for everyone involved.

so what if they are different? why can't i compare and contrast the educational processes of two different professions? There may be research out there that does just that.

You say that they can't be compared, then go on to compare yourself to the medical residents by saying that you take home more work, projects, presentation, and "a slew of other...that medical residents don't do." The last part is untrue, btw. You've seen death, congrats, I guess the presentations in pharmacy residency are just as stressful as physicians saving lives.:cool:

so what if they are different? why can't i compare and contrast the educational processes of two different professions? There may be research out there that does just that.

You say that they can't be compared, then go on to compare yourself to the medical residents by saying that you take home more work, projects, presentation, and "a slew of other...that medical residents don't do." The last part is untrue, btw. You've seen death, congrats, I guess the presentations in pharmacy residency are just as stressful as physicians saving lives.:cool:

she isn't comparing the two residencies on how they might be similar. she's telling you about the differences and how IF you tried to compare the two, you'd be comparing apples to oranges.

Again, you really don't know what you are talking about... Pharmacy and medical residents do different work...the stress is different. Working in a hospital is not as glorified as it looks on TV. There is a lot of making phone calls and a lot of writing notes in charts. The goal of all health care professionals is to save lives...

You want to be a pharmacist and all you do is belittle the profession...why not go to medical school then?

Weird, I lost weight due to pharmacy school, but I've probably destroyed my lungs. I no longer study at Panera Bread or Starbucks where I would drink tons of lattes and eat tons of carbs while studying. I now study at a hookah lounge that also serves healthy persian food, but I probably smoke 4-5 hookahs daily.

How many times have you brought up the fact that you study at hookah bar on these forums?

she isn't comparing the two residencies on how they might be similar. she's telling you about the differences and how IF you tried to compare the two, you'd be comparing apples to oranges.

i see. so we're comparing them to show that comparing them is illegitimate. makes sense :cool:

i don't care if they're different. they can still be compared, to illuminate their differences.

i can compare apples & oranges, who says i can't? If i wanted to compare apple to apple, i would compare one pharmacy residency against another. but we're comparing apples & oranges, yes, but that is perfectly acceptable. for example, we can compare the taste, the conditions needed for growth, the price, the vitamins, the sugar content, etc. in both apples and oranges. or we can compare within apples. both are acceptable. i am comparing medical residencies to pharmacy residencies. you're telling me their different? oh really? thanks for the helpful information!! haha...they can still be compared, and when we compare them, the difference in difficulty/stress/how much you learn is night and day.

Again, you really don't know what you are talking about... Pharmacy and medical residents do different work...the stress is different. Working in a hospital is not as glorified as it looks on TV. There is a lot of making phone calls and a lot of writing notes in charts. The goal of all health care professionals is to save lives...

You want to be a pharmacist and all you do is belittle the profession...why not go to medical school then?

So we agree. They do different work, and the stress is different, insofar as medical residents have more stress. I didn't say working in a hospital was full of glory. Yes there is a lot of making phone calls, especially if you're a pharmacist. I'm not belittling the profession. Why does it hurt the profession to say that it's less stressful or less work than another profession? Less stress is one of the reasons I chose this profession.

So far for this second round of tests....the medicinal, pharmacology and some therapeutics for Antihistamines, Skeletal Muscle Relaxants, General Anesthetics, Local Anesthetics, Sedative Hypnotics.......jfdskla;ghjkgfnx,nvzx,m.fhewkjeriowhr

At least I got to watch House tonight!

I never thought the toughest test I ever took in my life, at least so far, would be the Public Health test I took today.

I can honestly say I had to make an educated guess on 35 of the 50 questions.

FML! LOL

I never thought the toughest test I ever took in my life, at least so far, would be the Public Health test I took today.

I can honestly say I had to make an educated guess on 35 of the 50 questions.

FML! LOL

Was that due to ambiguous questions or is the material just extremely difficult? Perhaps some other reason?

Was that due to ambiguous questions or is the material just extremely difficult? Perhaps some other reason?

Not only was it ambiguous, but the questions were based on information that was far more detailed than what was in the book. It was honestly a test I could see being given to MPH students.......This is an introductory course and the material was grad level.

In addition, since this is the first test we've ever had with her, we found out that her choices look like this:

A. Correct choice
B. Could be correct choice if she didn't decide to manipulate so factor
C. Have no idea what the heck is going on here, but it sounds correct
D. Choices A and C
E. Choices A and B
F. All of the above

Not only was it ambiguous, but the questions were based on information that was far more detailed than what was in the book. It was honestly a test I could see being given to MPH students.......This is an introductory course and the material was grad level.

In addition, since this is the first test we've ever had with her, we found out that her choices look like this:

A. Correct choice
B. Could be correct choice if she didn't decide to manipulate so factor
C. Have no idea what the heck is going on here, but it sounds correct
D. Choices A and C
E. Choices A and B
F. All of the above

Ah, your first encounter with a typical pompous professor teaching some BS introductory (fluff) class and taking it way too seriously.

Welcome to pharmacy school.

Ah, your first encounter with a typical pompous professor teaching some BS introductory (fluff) class and taking it way too seriously.

It seems that it's always the professors who teach fluff classes who take the class extremely seriously, whereas the professors teaching harder classes are more laid back.

You just summed up my Public Health class and the drug information class that I had last semester. When I took drug information I had tons of assignments due each week with the most devilish professor ever. Now, they switched the professor, and the P-1s haven't had an assignment due all semester.

Who knows what the hell is going to happen with this class, but Drug Information gave me my first B in years.........:laugh:

Hmm, don't wanna read the whole argument up there. I thought its pretty easy to get a clinical job without a residency.

then why would anyone bother with a residency?

No, he thought right. Not in the bigger cities where they can be picky and have fallen for the residency crap...but here I am...50/50 clinical job...

WVU is correct again. I know of pharmacies hiring for clinical positions that dont require a residency. (they are 50/50 too).

What I've heard from a few people is that hospital jobs can be acquired sans residency but clinical jobs are mostly requiring residencies now.

I thought it was related to this thread, so I thought I'd post here instead of making a new thread.

I've read some posts where people have said that pharmacy school is depressing but they got a little better after they got out of school. Well, I'm not the best person to deal with depression and it takes me a while to get over things. I dunno if this is just me, but there have been days this semester when I would avoid some of my classmates so I don't have to talk about certain things that would make me more depressed. There was also one time when some of my classmates said "You look like you're so out of it today." Things like that have happened 4-5 times this semester. If this keeps up and the semesters get more difficult, then pharmacy school might get depressing once every two weeks or so, and I'm not sure how I would handle that. I could go talk to a shrink, but that could get expensive.

Does it usually help people to get over these things and feel better if they:
  • are married?
  • have kids?
  • have fiancés/fiancées?
  • have boyfriends/girlfriends?
  • live with a room mate?
  • live with a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Would it help a little if I worked on the weekends? That way I could see people who are not in my class and wouldn't feel like they're trying to compete with me or remind me of how much I need to study because it feels like they always talk like they know more than I do.