Pharmacy school is so depressing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought it was related to this thread, so I thought I'd post here instead of making a new thread.

I've read some posts where people have said that pharmacy school is depressing but they got a little better after they got out of school. Well, I'm not the best person to deal with depression and it takes me a while to get over things. I dunno if this is just me, but there have been days this semester when I would avoid some of my classmates so I don't have to talk about certain things that would make me more depressed. There was also one time when some of my classmates said "You look like you're so out of it today." Things like that have happened 4-5 times this semester. If this keeps up and the semesters get more difficult, then pharmacy school might get depressing once every two weeks or so, and I'm not sure how I would handle that. I could go talk to a shrink, but that could get expensive.

Does it usually help people to get over these things and feel better if they:
  • are married?
  • have kids?
  • have fiancés/fiancées?
  • have boyfriends/girlfriends?
  • live with a room mate?
  • live with a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Would it help a little if I worked on the weekends? That way I could see people who are not in my class and wouldn't feel like they're trying to compete with me or remind me of how much I need to study because it feels like they always talk like they know more than I do.

Nothing helps more than endorphins. Go to the gym. Thats how I deal with stress from school. It works every time.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was related to this thread, so I thought I'd post here instead of making a new thread.

I've read some posts where people have said that pharmacy school is depressing but they got a little better after they got out of school. Well, I'm not the best person to deal with depression and it takes me a while to get over things. I dunno if this is just me, but there have been days this semester when I would avoid some of my classmates so I don't have to talk about certain things that would make me more depressed. There was also one time when some of my classmates said "You look like you're so out of it today." Things like that have happened 4-5 times this semester. If this keeps up and the semesters get more difficult, then pharmacy school might get depressing once every two weeks or so, and I'm not sure how I would handle that. I could go talk to a shrink, but that could get expensive.

Does it usually help people to get over these things and feel better if they:
  • are married?
  • have kids?
  • have fiancés/fiancées?
  • have boyfriends/girlfriends?
  • live with a room mate?
  • live with a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Would it help a little if I worked on the weekends? That way I could see people who are not in my class and wouldn't feel like they're trying to compete with me or remind me of how much I need to study because it feels like they always talk like they know more than I do.

Hit the gym. Totally dude. Work up a good sweat and all of your troubles will melt away. Dude, don't be sedentary. Work hard and play hard dude!

Last edited:
Nothing helps more than endorphins. Go to the gym. Thats how I deal with stress from school. It works every time.

I was going to say the same thing about the OP. Nothing can be worse for your physical and mental health than going cold turkey from something like college football to nothing at all. I've done some sort of team physical activity since I was in grade school all the way through college. I honestly think if it wasn't for that, college would have been MUCH harder, regardless of not having to squeeze it in and make time for it in my schedule. If I get accepted to a pharmacy school one of the first things I do in the fall is look for a gym. I HATE traditional working out like running/lifting weights/etc but you just have to find what works for you. It helps to have interaction with various types of people outside your immediate classmates and school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to say the same thing about the OP. Nothing can be worse for your physical and mental health than going cold turkey from something like college football to nothing at all. I've done some sort of team physical activity since I was in grade school all the way through college. I honestly think if it wasn't for that, college would have been MUCH harder, regardless of not having to squeeze it in and make time for it in my schedule. If I get accepted to a pharmacy school one of the first things I do in the fall is look for a gym. I HATE traditional working out like running/lifting weights/etc but you just have to find what works for you. It helps to have interaction with various types of people outside your immediate classmates and school.

Well, I tried some of that this semester. Then I realized that I had to study more than I thought, and so I focused a lot more on studying and school work. Then I got to the point where I was so busy that I didn't have time to make plans about hanging out with people who were not in my class. It was hard, even with people in my class, to find someone to hang out with.

I thought about taking out more money in loans and live on campus or somewhere away from home and closer to campus. But my parents keep saying that I should try to work and pay for rent and utilities with the money I earn instead of using the money I get from loans. Of course, I'm not going to listen to them on everything. But some people in my class would agree with my parents though.

well during school time i do look and feel pretty horrible but afterwards on weekends i feel like a champ (non test weekends)

I agree! Whatever works for you as long as you steer clear from the sedentary life style, which can generally be associated with extreme amounts of studying and caffeine! :thumbup:

I agree! Whatever works for you as long as you steer clear from the sedentary life style, which can generally be associated with extreme amounts of studying and caffeine! :thumbup:

Well, I haven't figured out a good balance after all of the years I've spent in school. On the semesters where I do best in school, I'm most stressed out, yell at people I don't like, rarely meet anyone, stay at home/in my dorm studying and doing homework, stay up late reading for my classes rather than talking to friends on Facebook or AIM.

On the semesters where I feel happiest, meet people, can treat people nicely and show that I care about them, I do the worst. I just could never figure out what this means to me. Are the smartest students in school always at least slightly miserable and can't wait to be done? Do they tend to be the ones who are mean and stress out easily? It seemed that way when I was in undergrad. Smartest people never seem to have any time to hang out with me.

Well, I haven't figured out a good balance after all of the years I've spent in school. On the semesters where I do best in school, I'm most stressed out, yell at people I don't like, rarely meet anyone, stay at home/in my dorm studying and doing homework, stay up late reading for my classes rather than talking to friends on Facebook or AIM.

On the semesters where I feel happiest, meet people, can treat people nicely and show that I care about them, I do the worst. I just could never figure out what this means to me. Are the smartest students in school always at least slightly miserable and can't wait to be done? Do they tend to be the ones who are mean and stress out easily? It seemed that way when I was in undergrad. Smartest people never seem to have any time to hang out with me.

Everyone is different. I know so many people that maintain a very active social life and still maintain high marks. You have to find that what works for you even if it means reevaluating your current study habits. Id experiment with different ways to relieve from stress. Maybe start studying with groups of people. You kill two birds with one stone that way. Socializing (when appropriate) and studying! :thumbup:

I assume by smartest you mean the people who do the best on exams. That really depends on the person. Some people get good grades because they work harder than everyone else and some people get good grades because they learn things faster than everyone else. Life is good when you are in the second group because you don't have to work as hard and you still get the results.

I assume by smartest you mean the people who do the best on exams. That really depends on the person. Some people get good grades because they work harder than everyone else and some people get good grades because they learn things faster than everyone else. Life is good when you are in the second group because you don't have to work as hard and you still get the results.

For me that depends on what class it is and how I am tested on the material. In classes like pharmaceutics and biochem, I picked up on things very quickly and did well on those exams when people thought it was difficult. But on tests where we have to memorize a bunch of stuff, I had a hard time while everyone else did fine or just great.

On some of the stuff we had to memorize, if you asked a question about explaining things, I did well on those while most people did just ok.

For me that depends on what class it is and how I am tested on the material. In classes like pharmaceutics and biochem, I picked up on things very quickly and did well on those exams when people thought it was difficult. But on tests where we have to memorize a bunch of stuff, I had a hard time while everyone else did fine or just great.

On some of the stuff we had to memorize, if you asked a question about explaining things, I did well on those while most people did just ok.

weird thing but you said that when you are isolated from people you study better but when you are socializing you do worse. Ever thought of a study group? That way you don't have to be alone and you can get your studying on.

weird thing but you said that when you are isolated from people you study better but when you are socializing you do worse. Ever thought of a study group? That way you don't have to be alone and you can get your studying on.

Study groups are awesome. I like to make sure I know the material very well before I join a study group. That way you spend your time teaching and explaining material to other students, which helps story material in longer term memory. When I am in study groups unprepared it can be a big mess.

Study groups are awesome. I like to make sure I know the material very well before I join a study group. That way you spend your time teaching and explaining material to other students, which helps story material in longer term memory. When I am in study groups unprepared it can be a big mess.

Yes. Study groups only work when everyone knows the material otherwise its just a bunch of people studying on their own and talking about unrelated topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah? I was doing fine for a first few weeks. Socializing and asking questions with the smart classmates. Then after the second exams, everybody ex-communicate with me for some odd reasons. Then things get really weird, there were assigned seats, weird questions on exams with weird answers, weird grades (a mother D on my exams? I wanted to faint)

Yeah? I was doing fine for a first few weeks. Socializing and asking questions with the smart classmates. Then after the second exams, everybody ex-communicate with me for some odd reasons. Then things get really weird, there were assigned seats, weird questions on exams with weird answers, weird grades (a mother D on my exams? I wanted to faint)

That is weird. Do you guys talk about your grades with your classmates? Some people in my class tend to do that, and it makes me get frustrated sometimes and avoid people who brag about their grades all the time.

That is weird. Do you guys talk about your grades with your classmates? Some people in my class tend to do that, and it makes me get frustrated sometimes and avoid people who brag about their grades all the time.

My whole class basically does. However, I only talk about grades within my group. I don't really discuss my grades with people I rarely talk to, and if they ask me how I did on a test, I'd probably tell them "I did good, I did okay, not go good, etc." I don't like people asking me my grades when we don't even talk any other time. It's just being nosy.

My whole class basically does. However, I only talk about grades within my group. I don't really discuss my grades with people I rarely talk to, and if they ask me how I did on a test, I'd probably tell them "I did good, I did okay, not go good, etc." I don't like people asking me my grades when we don't even talk any other time. It's just being nosy.

Definitely. One thing that bugged me this semester was when I was studying hard for a test, and people were talking about how they don't have to do that well on the test to get an A in the class. It made me get even more frustrated with them for saying such a thing to me, because it always sounds like they think they're so much better than everyone else.

Definitely. One thing that bugged me this semester was when I was studying hard for a test, and people were talking about how they don't have to do that well on the test to get an A in the class. It made me get even more frustrated with them for saying such a thing to me, because it always sounds like they think they're so much better than everyone else.

maybe it is just me but people like that make me want to study harder and beat them on an exam. I don't know why but people like that get under my skin so I end up trying harder and getting better grades cause of them. so inadvertently they help me. haha.

that's true! that doesn't matter what you study pharmacy and medicine, of physics and mathematics, i you spend some time daily in a gym, or in a swimming pool, you'll definitely show better results!

cmon now! it's our winter break!~ let's make the best out of it!!!

cmon now! it's our winter break!~ let's make the best out of it!!!

I've been trying. A week and a half more and I get to see my classmates again :) I seriously love my classmates though. It feels like we're a big family sometimes, but only with those who sit the closest to me.

But so far, I haven't seen anyone who lives close to me.

i got a b+:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:mad::thumbdown:thumbdown

.........in a bull**** class

I don't like to talk about exams even with my friends. We take our exams and have some time to kill before we learn how we did. I tend to do really well on the exams. So during this break, people like to talk about how hard the exam was. I would participate but I realize it won't look so good if I whine about how hard it was too and then end up with a 100%. The whole discussion is a bonding ritual but if you score on the really high side, there is the potential to make yourself look like an *ss.

I don't like to talk about exams even with my friends. We take our exams and have some time to kill before we learn how we did. I tend to do really well on the exams. So during this break, people like to talk about how hard the exam was. I would participate but I realize it won't look so good if I whine about how hard it was too and then end up with a 100%. The whole discussion is a bonding ritual but if you score on the really high side, there is the potential to make yourself look like an *ss.

Also a potential to be really worried until you get your test back. I've made that mistake few times this semester.

Another thing that bugged me about that was when people say they think the test was easy or just fine, and I thought it was really hard, it makes me freak out and worry a whole lot.

It bugs me when ppl try to talk me out of wanting to do well.

I want to get A's. I have my reasons. What's it to you?

They say C's make PharmD's, blah blah.....

That's fine...you don't need to explain why...but also don't expect any sympathy from anyone :)

I agree with you. They will make the half ass pharmacists. :thumbup:

Do you mean those who intentionally shoot for a C or those who shoot for an A but aren't smart enough to get said A?

All in all, GPA is not a good indicator of how well one will do as a pharmacist. :thumbup:

Do you mean those who intentionally shoot for a C or those who shoot for an A but aren't smart enough to get said A?

All in all, GPA is not a good indicator of how well one will do as a pharmacist. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

I dunno about pharmacists, but for doctors, the adcoms say that straight A students are the best researchers and straight C students are the best doctors.

Checking in, another depressed pharm student.

I haven't been around on this site lately because I've been so busy with pharm school...and they say the first year is supposed to be the easiest! I'm dreading for Spring semester to come along in a week...

Checking in, another depressed pharm student.

I haven't been around on this site lately because I've been so busy with pharm school...and they say the first year is supposed to be the easiest! I'm dreading for Spring semester to come along in a week...

Same here. I've heard PDA is supposed to be ridiculously hard. I guess I'll find out in a little bit. I'm prepared to be a hermit if that's what it takes.

Same here. I've heard PDA is supposed to be ridiculously hard. I guess I'll find out in a little bit. I'm prepared to be a hermit if that's what it takes.

I'm guessing PDA = Medchem?

Our professor said the first day that the class "would be the hardest class you've ever loved." And it's true...but she also might be the best professor I've ever had...so I don't think medchem is that bad. Still didn't do all that well in the class :p

I'm guessing PDA = Medchem?

Our professor said the first day that the class "would be the hardest class you've ever loved." And it's true...but she also might be the best professor I've ever had...so I don't think medchem is that bad. Still didn't do all that well in the class :p

Nope. At my school it's Principles of Drug Action, which is a semester before Med Chem.

Nope. At my school it's Principles of Drug Action, which is a semester before Med Chem.

Ours is called Drug Mech, and we have it this coming semester. I heard it's tough. Luckily, everyone said the professor is really good, which is really important to me. Ugh, I'm not ready to start back so soon! :p

Listen to me and listen good. I have 27 years of experience. I graduated in 1982. Grades don't mean anything at all. You are there to learn the material. You need to know the answer 10 years from now. What good do you do your patient's if you don't know the material. Master the material and screw the exams. You need to do well enough to graduate and that's all grades are for.

There were people who got better grades because they crammed for exams and forget everything 10 minutes later. I didn't cram and made sure I learned the material. So when my class took a practice state board exam at the end of school, I polished 150 questions in 45 minutes and got the highest grade in my class. Master the material. Nobody cares about your GPA except your parents so they can brag to their friends. Billy got a 4.0 at whatsamatta U.

Listen to me and listen good. I have 27 years of experience. I graduated in 1982. Grades don't mean anything at all. You are there to learn the material. You need to know the answer 10 years from now. What good do you do your patient's if you don't know the material. Master the material and screw the exams. You need to do well enough to graduate and that's all grades are for.

There were people who got better grades because they crammed for exams and forget everything 10 minutes later. I didn't cram and made sure I learned the material. So when my class took a practice state board exam at the end of school, I polished 150 questions in 45 minutes and got the highest grade in my class. Master the material. Nobody cares about your GPA except your parents so they can brag to their friends. Billy got a 4.0 at whatsamatta U.

Stop starting every post with a self assuring stroke to your credibility. We get it; you're old, and in all that time, you haven't yet learned how to use apostrophes. Do you realize that a lot has changed in the world of Pharmacy and Pharmacy Education over the last 27 years? I would put more weight on the opinion of someone who has been out of school for 7 years than 27 years. Why would I even learn the material if I was going to do retail pharmacy? A monkey could do that job. So it's true, for retail pharmacy, grades don't matter much- the most important criteria is that you have a pulse. If you were dirt poor like me, you too would realize why grades *do* matter!

Stop starting every post with a self assuring stroke to your credibility. We get it; you're old, and in all that time, you haven't yet learned how to use apostrophes. Do you realize that a lot has changed in the world of Pharmacy and Pharmacy Education over the last 27 years? I would put more weight on the opinion of someone who has been out of school for 7 years than 27 years. Why would I even learn the material if I was going to do retail pharmacy? A monkey could do that job. So it's true, for retail pharmacy, grades don't matter much- the most important criteria is that you have a pulse. If you were dirt poor like me, you too would realize why grades *do* matter!

With time/age comes perspective. Yes I understand a great deal has changed over the 27 years I have been out of school. But grades are a snapshot in time. They are not all encompassing. You of course went with the personal attack against a grammatical error and where I choose to practice. Of course you present no logical argument against the point I made. I guess logic and argument were two subjects not included in your education. What good is getting an A on a college course if 10 years later you don't know the material when you need it? When was the last time you asked your doctor/dentist/lawyer/pharmacist where they went to school and what their GPA was before you decided to use their services? Does it matter that I graduated with honors? Does it matter I won the clinical award in my senior year? No, it doesn't mean anything to the people I take care of every day. Not once did I say it's not important to do well in school or strive for excellence. I just don't consider test scores the ultimate measure of your ability. As I pointed out there are many people who cram for exams, get high grades and forget everything 10 minutes later.

As long as you know you have disparaged the 65% of the pharmacists who practice in the retail setting with your diatribe against community practice. I won't dignify that with a response. Your stupidity stands alone out there for the all world to see.

Ours is called Drug Mech, and we have it this coming semester. I heard it's tough. Luckily, everyone said the professor is really good, which is really important to me. Ugh, I'm not ready to start back so soon! :p

I start school on the 4th, but classes start on the 6th.

:thumbup:

With time/age comes perspective. Yes I understand a great deal has changed over the 27 years I have been out of school. But grades are a snapshot in time. They are not all encompassing. You of course went with the personal attack against a grammatical error and where I choose to practice. Of course you present no logical argument against the point I made. I guess logic and argument were two subjects not included in your education. What good is getting an A on a college course if 10 years later you don't know the material when you need it? When was the last time you asked your doctor/dentist/lawyer/pharmacist where they went to school and what their GPA was before you decided to use their services? Does it matter that I graduated with honors? Does it matter I won the clinical award in my senior year? No, it doesn't mean anything to the people I take care of every day. Not once did I say it's not important to do well in school or strive for excellence. I just don't consider test scores the ultimate measure of your ability. As I pointed out there are many people who cram for exams, get high grades and forget everything 10 minutes later.

As long as you know you have disparaged the 65% of the pharmacists who practice in the retail setting with your diatribe against community practice. I won't dignify that with a response. Your stupidity stands alone out there for the all world to see.

Well done.

I start the 4th. :( I'm just trying to enjoy what's left of my vacation.

Me too. Then it's back to school and studying everyday like I did last semester, except this time I have to study even more and put more effort, while dealing with all of my classmates, club meetings, etc. I just hope that things might get better since I'm supposed to be getting used to pharmacy school and my classmates.

Can any of the upper class students (P2,P3, or P4) say anything about how the other semesters compare to the first semester of the P1 year? All I've heard so far, is that it gets more difficult, which is what I would expect. But what about other things?

Me too. Then it's back to school and studying everyday like I did last semester, except this time I have to study even more and put more effort, while dealing with all of my classmates, club meetings, etc. I just hope that things might get better since I'm supposed to be getting used to pharmacy school and my classmates.

Can any of the upper class students (P2,P3, or P4) say anything about how the other semesters compare to the first semester of the P1 year? All I've heard so far, is that it gets more difficult, which is what I would expect. But what about other things?

At my school, I heard P2 year is the worse. I think I've heard the same from other people. P3 gets a little better, and P4 is the easiest since you're just doing your rotations.

At my school, I heard P2 year is the worse. I think I've heard the same from other people. P3 gets a little better, and P4 is the easiest since you're just doing your rotations.

I hear the P2 students think P3 year gets easier, but the P3 students that actually went through it said that they would give anything to go back to P2 year. That sounds really scary to me.

I hear the P2 students think P3 year gets easier, but the P3 students that actually went through it said that they would give anything to go back to P2 year. That sounds really scary to me.

Ah! Im so nervous to start pharmacy school in September. I still have a lot of time. Do you think it is necessary for me to review on specific topics before entering? 9 months is quite a bit of time away from the books. :rolleyes:

Why would I even learn the material if I was going to do retail pharmacy? A monkey could do that job.

Wow. Are you serious? It's not only untrue but also a poor mentality to hold of your colleagues.

The educational disparity between clinical/retail pharmacy is small. Any pharmacist having an elitist pov for one over the other is a ****.

Ah! Im so nervous to start pharmacy school in September. I still have a lot of time. Do you think it is necessary for me to review on specific topics before entering? 9 months is quite a bit of time away from the books. :rolleyes:

I would recommend going over
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Biochemistry
  • Calculus
  • Statistics
  • Microbiology
  • Immunology
  • Genetics
Of course, I'm giving you recommendations based on my school's curriculum, so you can probably pick out what you think is important based on your school's curriculum. If you feel very confident about any of the topics, then simply skimming over what you have learned will be enough until school starts.

Are you going to be working as a pharm tech or doing any shadowing? When I shadowed a pharmacist, she recommended shadowing different types of pharmacists. I know you probably know about retail, independent, and hospital pharmacy, but you could also look into things like nuclear pharmacy.

I know there's a Cardinal Health out in Elmhurst, because I've considered going there for a summer internship (even though I won't be able to do that now even if they offer me an internship position). You could go talk to them and ask if you can shadow since you're going to be a P1 at Midwestern.

I would recommend going over
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Biochemistry
  • Calculus
  • Statistics
  • Microbiology
  • Immunology
  • Genetics
Of course, I'm giving you recommendations based on my school's curriculum, so you can probably pick out what you think is important based on your school's curriculum.

Are you going to be working as a pharm tech or doing any shadowing? When I shadowed a pharmacist, she recommended shadowing different types of pharmacists. I know you probably know about retail, independent, and hospital pharmacy, but you could also look into things like nuclear pharmacy.

I know there's a Cardinal Health out in Elmhurst, because I've considered going there for a summer internship (even though I won't be able to do that now even if they offer me an internship position). You could go talk to them and ask if you can shadow since you're going to be a P1 at Midwestern.

At the moment, my only plan is to continue working for an independent pharmacy. I have considered obtaining some volunteer experience at other pharmacy setting, but my heart is set on working for a small community pharmacy. I am definitely interested in learning about nuclear pharmacy. I think I would like to get more information on that field.

At the moment, my only plan is to continue working for an independent pharmacy. I have considered obtaining some volunteer experience at other pharmacy setting, but my heart is set on working for a small community pharmacy. I am definitely interested in learning about nuclear pharmacy. I think I would like to get more information on that field.

If you want to learn about nuclear pharmacy in general, you could send a pm to SpirivaSunrise who is a nuclear pharmacist.