Pharmacy school is so depressing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*sigh* My life is miserable. Its not even cold outside yet (Chicago).... the suns still out everyday, what am I gonna do when its cold outside and theres never sun?

Why am I always in such a funk? I dont even know how to be a person anymore... yes I overextend myself with presidency this and fellowship that... but its necessary if I want to be able to delegate my responsibilities on other people in my life.

And pharmacy school makes you ugly too. I played college football... I came into pharmacy school a STUD *zzzzzzz* Hot stuff baby. But now Im fat and sloppy and not funny, and geekier. God please just get me through this P2 year and my P3 year. My life really sucks I'm sitting in med chem right now and i know I look fromp... and this s**** is hard...

Whys pharmacy school gotta make u so depressed and lower your self esteem?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what academia is for. It's a place where people can gain employment as professional sadists while getting to feel important. Unfortunately, young people are the ones put through the ringer.

Don't worry though...once it's all over, you'll work your 40 hours a week...get back to hitting the gym, or in my case, playing basketball, you'll get back into shape, you'll have money, you'll have time, and it will all get better. I mean this and I speak from experience. Pharmacy school made me DEPRESSED AS ****. Especially when they started f'ing with my future. Although, unlike you, it seemed to make me have a better sense of humor...though I think that's mostly because I had more things to complain about. But once you get that diploma, its like a new lease on life...you're free...no more tests, no more bull****...it's just you and the future. Trust me. Just hold out a little bit longer.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what academia is for. It's a place where people can gain employment as professional sadists while getting to feel important. Unfortunately, young people are the ones put through the ringer.

Don't worry though...once it's all over, you'll work your 40 hours a week...get back to hitting the gym, or in my case, playing basketball, you'll get back into shape, you'll have money, you'll have time, and it will all get better. I mean this and I speak from experience. Pharmacy school made me DEPRESSED AS ****. Especially when they started f'ing with my future. Although, unlike you, it seemed to make me have a better sense of humor...though I think that's mostly because I had more things to complain about. But once you get that diploma, its like a new lease on life...you're free...no more tests, no more bull****...it's just you and the future. Trust me. Just hold out a little bit longer.

Can you further explain the school "f'ing with your future"? I gotta know what I'm in for haha I'm just a P1.

I'm about to finish week 5 and it really hasn't been hard thus far. 3 of my 5 test scores have been 95 or higher. From the horror stories I've heard, I wish they'd spread out some of the P2 courses to P1, which could easily be done by eliminating some of these fluff courses. It sounds like P2 will be CRAMMED since P1 is mainly a continuation of the sciences I took my undergrad years and P3 is simply rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* My life is miserable. Its not even cold outside yet (Chicago).... the suns still out everyday, what am I gonna do when its cold outside and theres never sun?

Why am I always in such a funk? I dont even know how to be a person anymore... yes I overextend myself with presidency this and fellowship that... but its necessary if I want to be able to delegate my responsibilities on other people in my life.

And pharmacy school makes you ugly too. I played college football... I came into pharmacy school a STUD *zzzzzzz* Hot stuff baby. But now Im fat and sloppy and not funny, and geekier. God please just get me through this P2 year and my P3 year. My life really sucks I'm sitting in med chem right now and i know I look fromp... and this s**** is hard...

Weird, I lost weight due to pharmacy school, but I've probably destroyed my lungs. I no longer study at Panera Bread or Starbucks where I would drink tons of lattes and eat tons of carbs while studying. I now study at a hookah lounge that also serves healthy persian food, but I probably smoke 4-5 hookahs daily.

Take a weekend off, get laid, and remember grades dont matter! :D

Why I love Touro, we actually get a Fall Break. Since it's a Jewish sponsored school we're getting a week off for some holiday called Sukkot.

I have 16,000 rounds of paintball ammo sitting around in my garage. I'll probably use 1/2 of that at the paintball fields in 1 day, and the rest I'll use for my paintball sentry gun that I set up every halloween.

Reactions: 1 user

Wow... thanks for that... refreshingly uplifting!

I dunno. I actually had MORE free time in pharmacy school. Much, much more. Working my 44 hours per week, I barely have any free time at all. And when I do, I'm recuperating from working my 44 hours per week.

Then again, I'm in retail chain.

Then again, I just got out of school.

I have to say though, you are free after school.

I dunno. I actually had MORE free time in pharmacy school. Much, much more. Working my 44 hours per week, I barely have any free time at all. And when I do, I'm recuperating from working my 44 hours per week.

Then again, I just got out of school.

I have to say though, you are free after school.

Then again, you work for cvs....

meh, its P3 year I am taking 9 classes and I work out 3x a week, play hockey one day, go out on the weekends and work 15 hrs a week. I don't feel overwhelmed at all.

You are pissing and moaning about 44 hours a week?!?!?!?!

I would be off most weeks by Wednesday evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
44 hours is too much to work in a week. 40 hours is a tad too much, but doable. 35 seems about right. That's what they do in Europe. Just because you douchebags were tricked into working 60 hours a week doesn't mean its normal or acceptable. Hell, I only work 4 days a week. Haha.

if you think pharmacy school is depressing, try residency.

it's just a different kind of work than school, but I've never worked this hard in my life. And I've had multiple manual labor jobs

44 hours is too much to work in a week. 40 hours is a tad too much, but doable. 35 seems about right. That's what they do in Europe. Just because you douchebags were tricked into working 60 hours a week doesn't mean its normal or acceptable. Hell, I only work 4 days a week. Haha.

hell yeah for 10-12 hr shifts right??!! are these jobs common or easy to get?? Do many retail chains offer them?

hell yeah for 10-12 hr shifts right??!! are these jobs common or easy to get?? Do many retail chains offer them?

What, working 4 days a week? It's common for hospital staffers. Retail? Hell if I know. But my friend over in retail hell works 7-12s over 14 days for CVS. I told him I work 4 days a week and he's like, "Well I work 3.5 days, bitch. Ha." I cried.

Work less and enjoy life. Your well being is much more important.

You guys should really channel some of that 40hr/wk "work less and enjoy life" perspective to the medicine people. I swear, over there, the number of hours worked per week is like a penis size contest or something.

Gunner A: "Now that I'm pregnant, I can't believe I'm working only 40 hrs a week now."

Gunner B: "Oh, I did 60 hrs a week until the week before labor."

Gunner C: "You women are all weak. 80 hrs is where it's at."

Gunner D: "Pssh.. 80 is nothing. I lie to the accreditation board that I work only 80 hrs. I actually clock over 100 hrs a week. 80 hr weeks are for pansies. I can't imagine how spoiled our generation of surgeons are going to be."

I haven't been too overwhelmed yet. I'm sure it's going to happen eventually though since I'm only a P1. I actually had a fellow student complain to the pharmaceutics professor today that there would be no periodic table to look up valence for the molecules we're going to be tested on. What the hell?! Did they not pay attention in Chem 101? Who doesn't know that Na is +1 or Ca is +2? It just goes to show that being overwhelmed can mean different things to different people.

You are pissing and moaning about 44 hours a week?!?!?!?!

I would be off most weeks by Wednesday evening.

Amen. Hour 44 for me is sometime during Thursday morning.
if you think pharmacy school is depressing, try residency.

it's just a different kind of work than school, but I've never worked this hard in my life. And I've had multiple manual labor jobs
Suckers! :p

At the end of this rotation, today, they just asked me if I was going to do a residency, and I responded by saying something like... "I don't like the set-up of a residency. I'd rather work..." :laugh: To which they responded, "Ok. :)"

Suckers! :p

At the end of this rotation, today, they just asked me if I was going to do a residency, and I responded by saying something like... "I don't like the set-up of a residency. I'd rather work..." :laugh: To which they responded, "Ok. :)"

You're so passive aggressive.

Although, it is a common trait within the walls of pharmacy!

Although, it is a common trait within the walls of pharmacy!
You think? I guess I can see that. I find conflict disturbing and counter-productive... get red-faced if someone starts picking at my flaws, which I already obsess about regularly... discipline myself before making others do it... etc.

I like for things to go as smoothly as possible, which people tend to really appreciate. It makes me "needed"... or so I've learned. It can also make me seem passive-aggressive, too, I suppose.

I'm really just a big baby who doesn't want to hurt anyone, ever! :love: For example, I told my boss that I needed to go to church, because this down-and-out tech-in-training (who has practically nothing going for her) makes me so angry; she leaves all of this unfinished work behind and no one does anything about it... which just keeps making me mad over and over again, especially if I work behind her. I even flipped out on her one day, because I was tired of the BS, so that's one reason why I said that I needed to go to church. I feels like I'm getting mad at a homeless person, or something, whenever I should just be that much more sympathetic towards her. Actually, she was homeless not too long ago... :oops:

I don't think you're passive-aggressive, Requiem. So, how does that differ in terms of how you practice pharmacy?

Quoted for truth.

I'm not complaining about residency or the amount of work or time it requires. I'm not a "sucker." I love that I'm doing the residency I'm doing and am glad that I am here.

Pharmdstudent, I really wonder why you can't just get off this schtick you have with bashing residency or the people doing one? It's fine that you don't want to do one. We get it. I'm not sure if you're insecure or what. I almost feel sorry for you...almost.

Quoted for truth.

I'm not complaining about residency or the amount of work or time it requires. I'm not a "sucker." I love that I'm doing the residency I'm doing and am glad that I am here.

Pharmdstudent, I really wonder why you can't just get off this schtick you have with bashing residency or the people doing one? It's fine that you don't want to do one. We get it. I'm not sure if you're insecure or what. I almost feel sorry for you...almost.
I agree with WVU, concerning residencies.
It's nothing personal... "Gliiiisiiiireeeen" ... or however Gavin Rossdale sings it. :D
It's a ****ed-up system and that's why I bash it. There's a lack of: efficiency, pay, and respect associated with doing a residency.

Oh, and I'm not a debater, so I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, so the "We get it" nonsense is way-off -base. I just complain about it, because I think it's ****ed-up. That's all... maybe that's just too simple for you to understand...

Last edited:

My 46 year old uncle works 56 hours a week at the pharmacy he owns and he called me a p***y for thinking 35 hours a week was "about right".

Last edited:
What, working 4 days a week? It's common for hospital staffers. Retail? Hell if I know. But my friend over in retail hell works 7-12s over 14 days for CVS. I told him I work 4 days a week and he's like, "Well I work 3.5 days, bitch. Ha." I cried.

Yea, I'm pretty excited about that schedule. I'm starting at a hospital as a staff pharmacist, goodbye weekends, holidays, 70-80 hours a week :D

I worked about 100-120 hours a pay period (every 2 weeks) for Walgreens in Phoenix. Sucked, but I'm glad I did it, got 3 new vehicles paid for, student loans taken care of, and a house I hope to pay off in another 8 years.

Now I have more your attitude, 40 is plenty ;)

It's nothing personal... "Gliiiisiiiireeeen" ... or however Gavin Rossdale sings it. :D
It's a ****ed-up system and that's why I bash it. There's a lack of: efficiency, pay, and respect associated with doing a residency.

Oh, and I'm not a debater, so I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, so the "We get it" nonsense is way-off -base. I just complain about it, because I think it's ****ed-up. That's all... maybe that's just too simple for you to understand...

:laugh:

You're pathetic and are acting like a ****. I'm not the only one that feels this way about your posts, either. The truth of the matter is types like you aren't cut out to handle a residency, so you bash them and people doing them just to feel better about yourself. Really, I'm tired of the waste of space you are on this forum, and I don't have time for people that want to show e-peens and nothing of substance, so I'm going to utilize the ignore function.

Seriously, everyone is tired of the whining, really it is old.

And please, lack of respect? I think pharmacists in retail are the epitome of being disrespected... I have a great deal of respect from my administration, physicians, and pharmacists. I'm not being told that I need to fill more prescriptions or answer the phone withing 20 seconds. That is respect? I get medication therapy questions from physicians looking for my expertise in making a recommendation. I'm not ringing up Fritos... 1-2 yrs of residency is a drop in the hat for a better lifestyle.

And please, lack of respect? I think pharmacists in retail are the epitome of being disrespected... I have a great deal of respect from my administration, physicians, and pharmacists. I'm not being told that I need to fill more prescriptions or answer the phone withing 20 seconds. That is respect? I get medication therapy questions from physicians looking for my expertise in making a recommendation. I'm not ringing up Fritos... 1-2 yrs of residency is a drop in the hat for a better lifestyle.

I will have you agree with you. Retail sucks. I am considering a job in industry, mail order or pharmaceutical sales. I will take what I can get, anything BUT retail.

Is a fellowship the same as a residency? whats the difference? What does it take to get a residency or fellowship??? Beside keeping your GPA at 3.8+, anything else you recommend?

And does mail order require any further education? I will take mail order over any retail job anyday! :laugh:

CHEER UP! Just think about all the $$$ you will make when you get out! :love:

now you're looking down on retail pharmacists. the lack of respect is everywhere. i'm not naive enough to think that being a resident earns that respect. what's wrong with filling more rxs, answering 20-sec phone calls, or ringing up Fritos? if the business went bankrupt, where would you be? nobody looks down on people working hard to earn a living, like ringing up Fritos. "1-2 yrs of residency is a drop in the hat for a better lifestyle"-hmm, i wonder...

Sorry to hear that your life sucks.

Don't really know what you're going through exactly but I firmly believe we can take control of our lives and adjust for the better.

As many have already said, the education phases in our lives are only temporary. And since you overextended yourself this year, then take on less responsibilities and set aside time for working out at the gym next year.

Last edited:
now you're looking down on retail pharmacists. the lack of respect is everywhere. i'm not naive enough to think that being a resident earns that respect. what's wrong with filling more rxs, answering 20-sec phone calls, or ringing up Fritos? if the business went bankrupt, where would you be? nobody looks down on people working hard to earn a living, like ringing up Fritos. "1-2 yrs of residency is a drop in the hat for a better lifestyle"-hmm, i wonder...

Being a resident doesn't earn you respect. Working hard and establishing your expertise earns you respect. This is hard to do in a retail setting because it isn't about what you know. I don't look down on retail phamacists, hell, I was a retail pharmacist for a while. Retail is a tough life and not once did I say that retail pharmacists do not work hard. Most of my friends are retail pharmacists. The fact is that as a retail pharmacist, you get disrespect from corporate, the patients, and medical staff... How many threads do we see of pharmacists complaining about CVS and Walgreens?

If that business went bankrupt, I would still have a job. I won't have to work evenings, few weekends, or holidays. To me, yes that is a better lifestyle.

You guys should really channel some of that 40hr/wk "work less and enjoy life" perspective to the medicine people. I swear, over there, the number of hours worked per week is like a penis size contest or something.

Gunner A: "Now that I'm pregnant, I can't believe I'm working only 40 hrs a week now."

Gunner B: "Oh, I did 60 hrs a week until the week before labor."

Gunner C: "You women are all weak. 80 hrs is where it's at."

Gunner D: "Pssh.. 80 is nothing. I lie to the accreditation board that I work only 80 hrs. I actually clock over 100 hrs a week. 80 hr weeks are for pansies. I can't imagine how spoiled our generation of surgeons are going to be."

Wow. What a bunch of ******s.

The truth of the matter is types like you aren't cut out to handle a residency

It can't be that hard, you're doing it.

*oh SNAP*

:smuggrin:

I would argue that I'm not cut out for a residency. Not because its intellectually challenging or whatever bull****...it's because I'd get kicked out for insubordination right quick.

On the other hand, I wonder if you folks could handle my job...high stress, no respect, need for high level of broad knowledge...150 patients...all alone...just you...we've had 2 pharmacists get up and leave because they couldn't handle it just since I've been there...lmao...

On the other hand, I wonder if you folks could handle my job...high stress, no respect, need for high level of broad knowledge...150 patients...all alone...just you...we've had 2 pharmacists get up and leave because they couldn't handle it just since I've been there...lmao...

I did your job on top of my 60 hour per week residency my first year out....6am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday. I had one technician who for most of the day would bitch about her job, peruse wedding websites, or take at least an hour to do any task that involved her fat ass leaving the pharmacy. She was largely useless. Obviously I kicked ass at it.

I did your job on top of my 60 hour per week residency my first year out....6am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday. I had one technician who for most of the day would bitch about her job, peruse wedding websites, or take at least an hour to do any task that involved her fat ass leaving the pharmacy. She was largely useless. Obviously I kicked ass at it.

So you took care of 160 patients all alone as the only pharmacist in the entire building? Mmmhmm....

So you took care of 160 patients all alone as the only pharmacist in the entire building? Mmmhmm....

You got me there, as I would never set foot in the type of hospital you describe working in. Definitely not as an employee, and certainly not as a patient.

You got me there, as I would never set foot in the type of hospital you describe working in. Definitely not as an employee, and certainly not as a patient.

...and that's why I tell them if I go unconscious, my wish is to be stabilized and shipped anywhere else ASAP. I got that **** in writing on my desk.

I actually rather enjoy the challenge...and it is a challenge. I have to fill employee prescriptions at the same time, too. It's like living the hours of 530-9 on a sheet of thin ice.

I'm pretty sure I *am* pretty ****ing crazy to work there though....

...and that's why I tell them if I go unconscious, my wish is to be stabilized and shipped anywhere else ASAP. I got that **** in writing on my desk.

I actually rather enjoy the challenge...and it is a challenge. I have to fill employee prescriptions at the same time, too. It's like living the hours of 530-9 on a sheet of thin ice.

I'm pretty sure I *am* pretty ****ing crazy to work there though....

From my weekend staffing duties as a first year, I definitely believe you that it is a challenge. I also fully believe you when you say the most clinical thing you do is order entry, you are honestly making sure people do not get killed all evening/night while being under pressure.

All you residents, chill...not like you're doing a medical residency. Nothing special.

To say that PharmDstudent is belittling residencies because he/she can't handle it is immature.

All you residents, chill...not like you're doing a medical residency. Nothing special.

To say that PharmDstudent is belittling residencies because he/she can't handle it is immature.

The hell isn't it like a med residency....you are overworked....underpaid...and seek to specialize...

The hell isn't it like a med residency....you are overworked....underpaid...and seek to specialize...

not as overworked as medical residents. I just talked to one who spent 36 hrs straight in the hospital, managed to sleep ~4 hours while there. plus the material is harder. also, more stressful...death and what not. also longer than 2 yrs.

I don't look down on retail phamacists, hell, I was a retail pharmacist for a while.

I'm going off topic here, but how long were you a retail pharmacist before you started your residency? After graduation, I want to work, save up a little bit, and then look into a residency. However, my professors make it sound like it's impossible to get a residency unless you go right out of pharm school.

I'm going off topic here, but how long were you a retail pharmacist before you started your residency? After graduation, I want to work, save up a little bit, and then look into a residency. However, my professors make it sound like it's impossible to get a residency unless you go right out of pharm school.

To be fair, it was less than a year... I worked full time in retail for 3 months and then switched to full time in hospital but keeping 10-15 hrs/wk in retail. I don't mind working retail in small doses. It keeps you real and makes you like your other job much better!

not as overworked as medical residents. I just talked to one who spent 36 hrs straight in the hospital, managed to sleep ~4 hours while there. plus the material is harder. also, more stressful...death and what not. also longer than 2 yrs.

Another clueless student...

To compare a medical and pharmacy residency is silly. They are different practices with different responsibilities. It is different kind of stress. Medical residents do put in more hours than me at the hospital, but I take a lot more work home with me. We do patient care part, plus a slew of other projects and presentations that medical residents don't do. I see death in the hospital all the time. Our pharmacists are in charge of the medication cart in a code situtation....pulling meds, drawing up doses (hell I've even been asked to do a few chest compression since I was the first person in the room)...it is stressful for everyone involved.

It can't be that hard, you're doing it.

*oh SNAP*

:smuggrin:

I would argue that I'm not cut out for a residency. Not because its intellectually challenging or whatever bull****...it's because I'd get kicked out for insubordination right quick.

Surely you realize, WVU, that I wasn't talking to you or about you with my reply. I know you're not that obtuse. Do you bitch about residencies? Sure, but you don't come off as being above the people doing one/that have done one. That's the attitude I can't stand with pharmdstudent.

I see plenty of folks looking down their nose on here. I wouldn't blame somebody for doing a residency and getting that paper. If it's what you really want to do and the job will make you happy, more power to you. If you want to go into retail for awhile and bang out some big bucks and work a lot of OT (that's what I did) when you get out of school, then I certainly don't blame you.

Different strokes for different folks. I have a couple of friends who kinda look down on me for not doing a residency. Of course they get quiet when I tell them all my stuff is paid for.

I see plenty of folks looking down their nose on here. I wouldn't blame somebody for doing a residency and getting that paper. If it's what you really want to do and the job will make you happy, more power to you. If you want to go into retail for awhile and bang out some big bucks and work a lot of OT (that's what I did) when you get out of school, then I certainly don't blame you.

Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly how I feel. We need pharmacists in every aspect of pharmacy.