Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^what in the bloody hell did I just read?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all I want to thank you for your response. I think you misunderstood me. I do not want to find another golden ticket career, I want to find one that is just more practical. I want to thank you again nonetheless but I suppose I should rephrase my question as what career fields would qualify as not "hot" or flavor of the month and how I could figure this out? Like I said before, people have mentioned accounting and searching Indeed reveals a lot of job opportunities (~7,000) but that are also people saying that accounting is becoming saturated and will pass on from flavor of the month status very soon. You could argue a mortician is a path less traveled but who really wants to stare at dead people for the rest of their life at least for a full time job. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again in advance.

Idk how serious you are about jumping ship but:

Air traffic controller.
They rarely open up applications to the general public but it is open right now for a limited time (maybe a week or so) on USAJobs. You need 3 years of work experience or 3 years of college or a combination of both. Starting salary is around $40,000-$60,000/year for training depending on the size of the airport. Then after a year or so of training you can make around $90,000. The union is pretty good about getting Air Traffic Controllers salary increases every year.

My mom was an air traffic controller for about 30 years. Just retired. It's government so you get great benefits. I think it takes like a year after the application process for them to actually send you to the academy though.

Even if you're not sure, apply and see if you are accepted and then make your decision from there. It never hurts to have options! There's no interview process or anything. If you qualify and pass the quiz they give you on USAJobs then you're in. That doesn't mean it's easy. I've known about 5-10 people who have applied over the years and only one that got in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all I want to thank you for your response. I think you misunderstood me. I do not want to find another golden ticket career, I want to find one that is just more practical. I want to thank you again nonetheless but I suppose I should rephrase my question as what career fields would qualify as not "hot" or flavor of the month and how I could figure this out? Like I said before, people have mentioned accounting and searching Indeed reveals a lot of job opportunities (~7,000) but that are also people saying that accounting is becoming saturated and will pass on from flavor of the month status very soon. You could argue a mortician is a path less traveled but who really wants to stare at dead people for the rest of their life at least for a full time job. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again in advance.

I seriously have no clue anymore anymore, but one thing for sure is to not trust Yahoo articles as they are behind the times by at least 5-10 years. I think they even mentioned pharmacology (not pharmacy) employeers have 0% unemployment rate, I'm going to have to find that article and post a link when I can find one.

Air traffic controller.
They rarely open up applications to the general public but it is open right now for a limited time (maybe a week or so) on USAJobs. You need 3 years of work experience or 3 years of college or a combination of both. Starting salary is around $40,000-$60,000/year for training depending on the size of the airport. Then after a year or so of training you can make around $90,000. The union is pretty good about getting Air Traffic Controllers salary increases every year.

My mom was an air traffic controller for about 30 years. Just retired. It's government so you get great benefits. I think it takes like a year after the application process for them to actually send you to the academy though.

Even if you're not sure, apply and see if you are accepted and then make your decision from there. It never hurts to have options! There's no interview process or anything. If you qualify and pass the quiz they give you on USAJobs then you're in. That doesn't mean it's easy. I've known about 5-10 people who have applied over the years and only one that got in.

I agree with this post. My dad was an ATC for 25 years and then became a manager and worked for 15 more years. His salary was never below 100k and he had no college education whatsoever. This is a very good career path to look into... just saying

Anyone--tell me about Midwest. Saturated? Not so much? Which states would be good to get licensed in? (retail)

I applied to 6 jobs within the last 3 months.

I Got a call back for all but 1... And was offered and in person interview at 4. The 5th filled the position a couple of days after my phone interview.

Market is not that bad.
Thank you

Msweph, which state are we talking about?

I agree with this post. My dad was an ATC for 25 years and then became a manager and worked for 15 more years. His salary was never below 100k and he had no college education whatsoever. This is a very good career path to look into... just saying

Sign me up! This career is good ROI if no college degree required. These Yahoo authors . . . how much do they get paid to publish nonsense?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/10-college-majors-lowest-unemployment-rates-163049193.html

Computer programming is also a relatively easy path to a $100k salary. You can learn it in 2 years at a community college for very little tuition, or go to a programming school for $10-20k.

Computer programming is also a relatively easy path to a $100k salary. You can learn it in 2 years at a community college for very little tuition, or go to a programming school for $10-20k.

I've seen some of those programming schools for $14K around where I live, but it's a 3 month crash course! The people that completed the course are good enough to write up their own apps now. For me, I would opt to do the community college route and if I really enjoyed it, would finish the 4 year degree at state school because it gives me time to process the information instead of cramming.

Ok. So we have AK, FL. Any other votes? Maybe someone from Midwest? (Retail).

Members don't see this ad :)
#4 but hoping to upgrade to #6 in the future.

Air traffic controller.

I have a degree in ATC and have been applying since 2009. Still haven't been hired and I'm a very competitive applicant. Good luck getting into that field.

I have 2 job offers and 90% of my class has either residency position or a job offer/accepted one. Yes, they are not all ideal jobs but there are some out there, you've got to start somewhere to advance.

I'm still looking for a PIC..midland/Odessa TX area. $5K sign on and $130K per year in salary--M-F ONLY 8:30-5:30PM NO WEEKENDS or Holidays

Reactions: 2 users
...because getting a Ph.D. is so much easier? :p As someone who has experienced both research and clinical applications, the Ph.D. is by far the hardest route one could take. Considering most professional programs in medicine or pharmacy have an acceptance rate between 20-44% (depending on location and profession), Ph.D.'s have an acceptance rate of 3-8% traditionally. Not only this, but Ph.D. programs typically admit people in the top percentiles of applicants. So, while a very large majority of people can get into a DO, MD of Pharm.D. program with a GPA ranging between 3.0-3.9, Ph.D. students average 3.6-4.0, the gap is much more narrow for Ph.D. students. Not only is that a problem, but you really have to LOVE research and have a general idea of what you want to do. Imagine Ph.D. program like a job offer, the professor will admit maybe 1 student a year, providing them with funding, with the hopes you will stay all 5 years and be productive and 99% of the time, have an interest in academia. This is the state for a fairly large majority of Ph.D. students (even in history, sociology, etc.).

So, to put things in perspective, it would be much easier for me right now to go back, spend 2 years to take pre-reqs and apply for a professional program like PA, nursing, DO, Pharm.D. school than it would be to try to get the best GRE score, and best grades in the word to compete for 3-8% of slots available that year. So, simply saying "you might as well apply for the Ph.D. with no debt coming out of it" is huge distortion of reality. Sad thing is, when you graduate with a Ph.D., you MIGHT get a job paying you $50K to start (this is assuming you are not coming from from a top 10 schools, which comparatively, are very few in comparison with other state and private universities in the country). At least with pharmacy, you can get out probably start with a 6 figure salary. I recently heard of CVS making a new rule that fresh graduates that they hire will get paid approx. $100K starting. And I see people complaining about this...really? $100K to start with the opportunity to grow, even if that means gaining 1-2 years of experience and leaving for another company that will pay better? You will complain about $100K starting?

My dad is a PhD chemist at a major pharma company. He says entry level PhDs start at 90-100k; he started with 50 k in the early 90s and now makes 250k+/year and he isn't even that high up the ladder. Definitely a lot more room to grow in the pharma industry.

Says one of the rare breed of those not admitted to pharmacy school
Racism is real and alive brother, besides who wants to pay $200k for a paper to not finding a job when finished. Although I could easily get in applying out of state but I was trying to get in near home

Racism is real and alive brother, besides who wants to pay $200k for a paper to not finding a job when finished. Although I could easily get in applying out of state but I was trying to get in near home
Who the **** pays 200k? I'll be at 100K.

Someone who either 1) goes to a private school or 2) goes to school in an expensive area. It's closer to $250k if both #1 and #2 apply (i.e. USC and all the other private schools in Southern California).

Going outside your state you automatically pay up to $150k and if you go to an accelerated one its even more which if you think about it those that go into a three year program end up having to work an extra year to pay it off which is pointless to struggle harder to finish when you end up with more loans to pay.

Going outside your state you automatically pay up to $150k and if you go to an accelerated one its even more which if you think about it those that go into a three year program end up having to work an extra year to pay it off which is pointless to struggle harder to finish when you end up with more loans to pay.

Problem solved... Go to an instate public school or don't go at all.

As bad as pharmacists have it these days with tuition costs and saturation, it's still better off than most health professions. Veterinarians, Optometrists, and Physical Therapists all face similar tuition burdens (often over $200k) and in the case of Vets and PTs, a much, much lower salary than pharmacists. And job saturation is already a huge issue in these fields to varying degrees. I honestly wonder how Vets and PTs graduating are going to be able to repay loans often $200k-300k making less than $70k a year in mostly saturated job markets.

That said pharmacy is no longer as financially profitable as it used to be, although I feel like I'm in no place to complain after getting to know about other health professions students and their huge debt burdens & job outlook for veterinary, optometry, and PT students. Health professions in general just aren't what they used to be.

I don't think pharmacy students/pharmacists have it good, but I think a lot aren't aware of how much worse it is in other markets when they complain about pharmacy. A lot just compare pharmacy world today to the booming pharmacy world of 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Problem solved... Go to an instate public school or don't go at all.

Even in-state public schools are no longer financial smart choices necessarily. My local state school is about $130k in tuition and fees alone, not including tuition increases or cost of living expenses or unsubsidized interest accruing. There are private schools including 3 year private schools that are cheaper than this.

Last edited:
Talking about $130k a year don't ever put down numbers you won't ever see in your life lmaoooo
How is this poster even allowed on this board? Honestly Mods, eliminate this nuisance...

I can't speak for many of the places you mentioned, but after working in Indianapolis for a couple of years and moving out east, you can find work in the hospital environment if you're willing to deal with mass layoffs and ridiculous cost savings measures. Hospital systems are becoming more and more uncomfortable to work in as nurse-to-patient ratios are becoming dangerously low and pharmacists are expected to deal with the increased workload with reduced pay and less help. Since I left my facility last summer, I've heard that about 8 pharmacists have left already. Move to a rural area not far from a metro city, find a stable job, and save up!

How is the job market in Tampa, Orlando, Indianapolis, Baltimore, and Nashville?

I have some Hospital experience but looking to relocate.

New
I can't speak for many of the places you mentioned, but after working in Indianapolis for a couple of years and moving out east, you can find work in the hospital environment if you're willing to deal with mass layoffs and ridiculous cost savings measures. Hospital systems are becoming more and more uncomfortable to work in as nurse-to-patient ratios are becoming dangerously low and pharmacists are expected to deal with the increased workload with reduced pay and less help. Since I left my facility last summer, I've heard that about 8 pharmacists have left already. Move to a rural area not far from a metro city, find a stable job, and save up!

Even Alaska is (almost) all stocked up. I predict that Barrow, Kotzebue, and Nome will be fully staffed for the first time EVER, sometime in the next 3 years. I know the Anchorage jobs are getting ~60 applicants for every position. If you're a pre-pharm (or even pharm) student-- cut your losses and switch to PA, PT, MD, DO, DMD, or nursing. It's going to be a rough adjustment for the next 15 years.

Even Alaska is (almost) all stocked up. I predict that Barrow, Kotzebue, and Nome will be fully staffed for the first time EVER, sometime in the next 3 years. I know the Anchorage jobs are getting ~60 applicants for every position. If you're a pre-pharm (or even pharm) student-- cut your losses and switch to PA, PT, MD, DO, DMD, or nursing. It's going to be a rough adjustment for the next 15 years.

Jeez. I guess the next thing to happen is newer grads asking for significantly less money...

economy is shaky all over; whatever you choose.. just be smart with your finances, drive for uber in your spare time and save all your money

Still looking for a non-retail job in NJ. Finishing my MBA so hoping that will open some doors.
My dream job is a consultant pharmacist. Hopefully something will work out in the next year so I can leave retail.

I wrote a long winded post three years ago Explaining why pharmacy was dead as a profession for new grads. [ pg 21 of this thread., post #1016]

The main prepharm student arguing with me tooth and nail that it was a great career choice seems to have taken y words to heart after all... He enrolled in med school! So looks like Posting how terrible the market MAY actually have an effect on the prepharm kids after all even when they argue and call you a troll.... Luckily user Chemguy79 came to his senses and prob owes me a thank you for not ruining his own life after bashing me so hard ha :laugh:

Preach on preachers... Pre professionals are like teens... they think they know it all but when all is said and done they really do appreciate your advice after they've grown up a bit and the real world has smacked them in the face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just happened to run across this forum. Don't know if this is useful for anyone or not.

My wife graduated with her PharmD in 2000 and has worked in retail since. We live in the Mid-Atlantic area. She recently decided to leave her employer. Through networking, she contacted 2 potential retail employers, interviewed with both and had an offer from both after the in person interview in the first week. She accepted one of the offers and continues her gameful employment without missing a step.

My sister-in-law just graduated with her PharmD, got a retail job very fast with signing bonus and just relocated near the beach on the east coast.

^^^ Obvious shill that works in academia or pre-pharmacy student ^^^ Regardless one case like above, even though fake, means nothing

My sister-in-law just graduated with her PharmD, got a retail job very fast with signing bonus and just relocated near the beach on the east coast.

BTW this immediately lets us know you're lying.

Reactions: 3 users
I just happened to run across this forum. Don't know if this is useful for anyone or not.

My wife graduated with her PharmD in 2000 and has worked in retail since. We live in the Mid-Atlantic area. She recently decided to leave her employer. Through networking, she contacted 2 potential retail employers, interviewed with both and had an offer from both after the in person interview in the first week. She accepted one of the offers and continues her gameful employment without missing a step.

I recently graduated and while I don't think the job market is (currently) as bad as some make it out to be, a signing bonus is a straight lie. These just don't happen anymore. It's not 2004.

Also, please note: it's gainful employment, not gameful. Unless she actually gets to play games at work, which would be awesome.

Ok, the signing bonus might be me remembering my wife getting a signing bonus for her first job after graduating. My wife doesn't think our sister-in-law got the bonus, but she will ask her and let me know.
Sorry for that if I am wrong.

Walgreens bought a friend of mine an MTM Mobile as a sign on bonus.

Sure it's just a van with 'MTM' written in sloppy, red letters on the side but the thought is still very sweet. It apparently helps him meet his metrics...

Reactions: 1 users
I recently graduated and while I don't think the job market is (currently) as bad as some make it out to be, a signing bonus is a straight lie. These just don't happen anymore. It's not 2004.

I have some classmates who got signing bonuses, but all of them involved moving to very rural areas and having to commit to multiple years there. Personally, I wouldn't move somewhere that rural for even one year, let alone several years, for the measly $20,000 they got, but they did get it.

Also, please note: it's gainful employment, not gameful. Unless she actually gets to play games at work, which would be awesome.

Got sign on in 2014

I know someone given a sign-on bonus by a retail chain to assume a manager position at an underperforming store (major east coast city). I've also received advertisements for sign-on bonuses with a retail chain in some presumably undesirable locations in the southern U.S.

I have some classmates who got signing bonuses, but all of them involved moving to very rural areas and having to commit to multiple years there. Personally, I wouldn't move somewhere that rural for even one year, let alone several years, for the measly $20,000 they got, but they did get it.

Ah, I remember my first sign-on bonus....in my naivete, I planned on banking the bonus, and figured if I didn't like the job, I would just repay the bonus and move on. And then I got the check for my bonus, and realized I had forgotten the thousands of dollars that would go to the IRS. I then realized I was in bondage, there was no leaving my job, because I didn't have the money to repay the bonus, because a good portion of the bonus I never received. It was a scary moment, that worked out OK, because I liked the job. Life's lesson's like that, aren't taught in school. Sign-on bonuses can be a very good thing, but they are not without risk.

Reactions: 3 users
I know someone given a sign-on bonus by a retail chain to assume a manager position at an underperforming store (major east coast city). I've also received advertisements for sign-on bonuses with a retail chain in some presumably undesirable locations in the southern U.S.

People still don't get it. Sign on bonuses are still given today not because they can't find a pharmacist. Instead they are used to FORCE you to stay at a job your employer knows you will hate and will leave as soon as you can. That is much better than rehiring another pharmacist who will also leave within 6 months.

Your yearly pay raise may even be less because they know you are not going anywhere. They may even send you to the worse locations because again they know you have already spent the bonus and can't pay it all back. They have you locked up. You just don't know it yet.

Reactions: 5 users