Veterans Affairs (GS-13) Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner Job Offer - Room to Negotiate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've received my first job offer within the VA system for an ambulatory care pharmacist (PACT pharmacist) position. I've been offered GS-13 step 1 upon completion of my residency. Some additional details:

1) COLA-locality plus position equates to ~$129k
2) PGY-2 trained within the VA system (PGY-1 was elsewhere)
3) Although the plan is to sit for BCACP after start date, I do not have a BPS cert at this time

I am waiting for other offers (if any) to hopefully have "somewhat" of negotiation of step 1 vs step 2, but as some of you may know, the Veterans Health Administration overspent there 2024 budget by ~$1.8 billion, causing many facilities to start out with a deficit in their budget for this year, which has unfortunately pulled many positions that were once available (including my facility).

With all that, is there at least a negotiation to start at step-2 given my 1-year federal position as a resident? I know many areas vary differently, but thought I'd put this up for further discussion to see what others have experienced (especially in this difficult hiring phase).

Any and all feedback is welcome -

Members don't see this ad.

step 1 is a bit low for someone with PGY2....I would think you should get step 2, especially since your PGY2 was in the VA. But then again there's the deficit. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try, but don't count on them saying yes. As far as the board cert, wait until after you are hired and start. Otherwise they may not do the step increase for a board cert that you already have.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently, I'm submitting some documents with some communication that some consideration will take place (sounds like fluff). For my own timeline, I'll post when/if I here back concerning any increase during this year of deficit.