Pharmacy is such a dead end career- ranting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am thinking about tech but dont want to go to school or boot camp. I have been looking into federal and insurance company jobs to see if I can find desk job. Like I said before I am willing to take pay cut. I have thought about doing some tech courses on coursera.

do you know any federal jobs that I can do with pharmacy degree besides working as pharmacist.

definitely dont rule it out
the tech jobs are amazing. Like i said i know an rph who did a boot camp and got a sick job in tech way better than any pharmacist job could be other than the pay cut of course....but the pay can equalize after time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am thinking about tech but dont want to go to school or boot camp. I have been looking into federal and insurance company jobs to see if I can find desk job. Like I said before I am willing to take pay cut. I have thought about doing some tech courses on coursera.

do you know any federal jobs that I can do with pharmacy degree besides working as pharmacist.
you dont need boot camp. Just try self teaching your self.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realized this before going into the field; before school even.

I'm pretty good at that

But ever naive Boomers and their progeny are tricked by the press. Schools & banks make money, and corporations get cheap labor

I'll let you know if I think of anything that can help you

So i quit my retail Pharmacist job 6 months after graduation. I am thinking about switching fields/ jobs to other health care field. I am willing to take pay cut in exchange of better work environment. I have been looking up jobs for past two days and I can’t find many jobs where pharmacy skills are transferable. Sorry if I am wrong. But I am regretting going to pharmacy school so much. Are there any pharmacists out there that arent practicing pharmacy? if so what positions are you working at.
I was in the same boat. Now I work at an independent pharmacy and loving life. Have you looked for independent pharmacies that are hiring?

Doing well on my sprints. I get the most story points on my scrum team.
Oh very nice. So my follow up question is did you get hired just from projects uploaded to github or did you have a degree/cert.?

Oh very nice. So my follow up question is did you get hired just from projects uploaded to github or did you have a degree/cert.?
I don't have any projects uploaded to my github since school. I pass technical interviews and get a job offer. Simple concept. I have a degree but that is meaningless as if I fail to invert a binary tree, i will not get hired.

I don't have any projects uploaded to my github since school. I pass technical interviews and get a job offer. Simple concept. I have a degree but that is meaningless as if I fail to invert a binary tree, i will not get hired.
You act as if that degree does not make you stand out along with the projects on github. Learning on your own is also meaningless as if you fail to do any sort of binary tree traversal, you will not get hired(if that is what you are tested on at least). At least with a degree you are aware of such types of data structures.

Members don't see this ad :)
You act as if that degree does not make you stand out along with the projects on github. Learning on your own is also meaningless as if you fail to do any sort of binary tree traversal, you will not get hired(if that is what you are tested on at least). At least with a degree you are aware of such types of data structures.
You don't need a degree to learn algos

So guys I was able to find non pharmacy healthcare office job but pay is ****. It’s remote and flexible hours. I wonder how much pay cut is acceptable.

What do you guys think of this list with pharmacy #12 and computer science #21? LoL.

So i quit my retail Pharmacist job 6 months after graduation. I am thinking about switching fields/ jobs to other health care field. I am willing to take pay cut in exchange of better work environment. I have been looking up jobs for past two days and I can’t find many jobs where pharmacy skills are transferable. Sorry if I am wrong. But I am regretting going to pharmacy school so much. Are there any pharmacists out there that arent practicing pharmacy? if so what positions are you working at.
If you want to abandon pharmacy, you can go to other choices where the bulk of your prerequisite courses can be reused for credits, whether it's healthcare profession or other fields.

Do new grads qualify for a 500k loan to open their own pharmacy these days? They still have 100-300k student loans to pay off.

You absolutely should not start from scratch.

You have to find a partner who is willing to pay the cost of purchasing a pharmacy with established customers and a good cash flow, agree on a 25-75% split on ownership. You do all the work of running the pharmacy, the paperwork, either work there yourself or pay an RPh to work there (in the beginning its better to work there yourself so you don't have to worry about paying an RPh).

Say for example the cost of purchasing was $400,000. For 25% ownership, technically you were supposed to put in $100,000. Say the profit is, $500,000 the first year. $125k of that is yours. You can either pay off your balance with your partner and then just keep $25k, or do something like pay your partner $33.3k for 3 years while keeping a higher share of the profit for yourself.

Two of my friends started one from scratch and they are now doing 200+ scripts a day. Iirc they purchased it like 5-6 years ago. They are so busy that they have a waiting list for new customers for transfers. They can’t keep up increased volume.

So, it depends..

100% agree with the OP. A PharmD is a joke these day

Last edited:
Yeah I am looking up all those stuff at the moment. My plan is do some courses myself and see if I can apply for tech jobs.
I just took my A+ exams with the aid of the Mike Meyers' videos on Udemy and Professor Messer's videos on YouTube. Taking Network+ and Security+ next, all with study books, video courses, etc. Cheaper than any bootcamp by a long shot. The only thing bootcamps used to offer was networking with colleagues and companies, but that benefit is fairly neutered due to COVID.

I just took my A+ exams with the aid of the Mike Meyers' videos on Udemy and Professor Messer's videos on YouTube. Taking Network+ and Security+ next, all with study books, video courses, etc. Cheaper than any bootcamp by a long shot. The only thing bootcamps used to offer was networking with colleagues and companies, but that benefit is fairly neutered due to COVID.
Is this a hobby or an occupation? You realize that you can get comped by VA as a veteran on this matter?

Please keep us updated. Im curious to see how quickly you can land a job with these certifications with, I am assuming, no internships.

I'm turning a hobby into an occupation. I just got approved for Ch. 31 benefits to go back to school for it.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking of for vo-rehab. Profession's that bad, eh?

If you can still maintain your clearance, let me know someday when you are trained and I will introduce you to some of the Beltway Bandits who pay top dollar for discretion unless you're crazy enough to go back into Civil Service for half the pay (but honestly, work a third as hard).

Yeah, that was what I was thinking of for vo-rehab. Profession's that bad, eh?

If you can still maintain your clearance, let me know someday when you are trained and I will introduce you to some of the Beltway Bandits who pay top dollar for discretion unless you're crazy enough to go back into Civil Service for half the pay (but honestly, work a third as hard).
What’s your experience with dual nationals getting clearance? I had Secret when I was a single, but then I said I’d support the Queen and eat biscuits, etc.