Pfizer covid vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope they are correct with a 90% efficacy rate. Only time will tell if the immunity lasts. I am glad they didn't take government money as to not show any signs of political manipulation. The storage requirment will be a challenge to say the least. Have they released any of the actual data other than the press statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not taking that vaccine until and unless it's been out a while; that's all I'm going to say about it.

I'm not taking that vaccine until and unless it's been out a while; that's all I'm going to say about it.
It's funny....I did an informal poll of pharmacists at the LTC place where I work. This is a sample of people I consider educated and informed. None of them have expressed a desire to be first in line. Was kind of surprised. I am personally a critic of the flu vaccine due to it's generally substandard efficacy and the overzealous way prescribers and retail chains seem to push it on everyone. I'm honestly not sure I've ever had the flu, and I do know of a few people I met though my career who had serious complications following a flu shot. I'm not an anti vaxxer or anything, and if they ever come up with one that works vs all strains I might be on board. The general consensus is everyone seems to worry that the vaccine was "rushed". Even when studies aren't rushed, meds make it out onto the market that still hold some nasty surprises (anyone remember "Omniflox" from the nineties?). So you certainly won't be alone in holding off...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

(Hopefully this does not get hit with a TOS violation.)
I have my pet personal conspiracy theory about the safety profile based on who actually gets the vaccine first. If the government keeps the first 20M or so for their own use and rich people like the PPE was hogged for them by FEMA earlier this year, then it's probably safe. If the government makes it a point to give it to IHS, 301b, etc., then I would think that the experts do not actually think the vaccine is safe, and the first RNA vaccine is going to have a lot of what Trump would consider to be worthless people as voluntary guinea pigs. Remember that this will be the first genetic vaccine (DNA or RNA) approved, so YMMV on the lifetime effects.

Recall though that there is already 20M doses right now at the ready through OWS funding, Pfizer and two of the other candidates are manufacturing ahead of the testing, there is major concern among us that the vaccine is in a too big to fail situation.

Somehow though, for as little the number of patients involved in the arguably Phase I study, that high a number is expected. Whether it works as it mutates is something else, but honestly, I'm going to let people who want it get what they want. I can afford to be cozy for another two years, it grows on you.

But my own pessimistic guess is that COVID-19 is just like every other coronavirus (SARS, HKU) where immunity is fleeting, and immunity to one strain is not immunity to next season's.

Reactions: 3 users
lol- Sadly your theory is probably right on track. I've also wondered whether this will become another yearly "hit or miss" (mostly miss) vaccine. If that is the case then I'm out. But some are already suspecting the immunity will be lucky to last a whole season.... I'm sure the retail chains are salivating. Another vaccine to push ad nauseum and line their pockets with the profits

I hope they don’t force healthcare workers to get it as a condition of employment like they do the flu shot.

I hope they don’t force healthcare workers to get it as a condition of employment like they do the flu shot.
Some places probably will. I can see hospitals doing that. Almost all of the local ones mandated flu shots. Many nursing homes require it as well, and as hard as they are being hit with COVID I wouldn't be surprised if they made it mandatory in addition to flu shot.

Consider me first in line because I can barely take another day of this.

If I can go back to freely taking my family in vacation and rid myself of the constant anxiety/worry of this thing - I’m all in.

I dunno how I feel about it’s safety. It’s just something that has to be done. I think we should all be aware that we have never had a vaccine like this before and this type of “vaccine” has only ever been used for horses and West Nile virus. The number of unknowns vastly outweighs the knowns here.

In any case - it’s coming and we will all have to take it... that is - if we want to work of coarse

Reactions: 4 users
ADE! ADE! ADE!

Chant it like "lock her up!" "lock her up!" "lock her up!"

• Haha
Two dose covid vaccine is going to ruin retail especially if you work in an area with few floaters available in remote areas.

• Wow
Two dose covid vaccine is going to ruin retail especially if you work in an area with few floaters available in remote areas.

People are going to walk around comfortably after just getting the first dose and may not even go back for the 2nd dose lol.

I'm suspicious as to why Pfizer's CEO sold 62% of his stock the same day the company announced success in vaccine trials ... :unsure:
There's some information they aren't sharing

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Consider me first in line because I can barely take another day of this.

If I can go back to freely taking my family in vacation and rid myself of the constant anxiety/worry of this thing - I’m all in.

I dunno how I feel about it’s safety. It’s just something that has to be done. I think we should all be aware that we have never had a vaccine like this before and this type of “vaccine” has only ever been used for horses and West Nile virus. The number of unknowns vastly outweighs the knowns here.

In any case - it’s coming and we will all have to take it... that is - if we want to work of coarse
Right there with you.
I know several people who participated in the trials - none had issues, but obviously that is a small sample size and who knows years down the road. Since they didn't take govt money, I am more inclined to take it. Once I see the government giving it to the higher ups, I will be more comfortable. I want to get back to normal, so willing to take a shot

Members don't see this ad :)

My employer isn't willing to commit to this just yet. I'm sure the supply issues will make it difficult to ensure your entire workforce is vaccinated within a reasonable timeframe. They sent quite a few of us home to become remote workers as well, so I'm sure we are low on the totem pole.

god I hope so - we need some more conspiracy talk around here since that last guy got banned
there will also be some crazy person come out of the woodwork, likely the same 2-3 people who just keep changing their names.

If you made me get shot I'd stick to recombinant subunit (like one of Sanofi's candidates)

You guys have fun with your viral vector / mRNA / DNA vaccines~

This post confuses me. What is “unchained”?
Unchained was a regular anti-vax poster/conspiracy theorists who's posts served some good laughs. Sad how persistent/serious he/she was in anti-vax opinion/stance/perspective. VERY DEFENSIVE in anti-vax stance made for some hilarious back-and-forth drama

Hmmm, with vaccines, benefits usually outweigh risks...frankly, I'm getting tired of all the nonsensical hysteria from the general public

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Not sold on the mRNA technology yet either. Corporate and government going to ram this down our throat that it is safe and effective but so far it has just been political. The cold storage logistics is a cluster**** all by itself.

Once all this covid crap clears up we got work to do... people skipping routine tests and screening means more severe disease at initial diagnosis. Not good for pretty much anything. Mental health and deaths from despair way up unfortunately. Cant provide official numbers tho...

• Sad
If you made me get shot I'd stick to recombinant subunit (like one of Sanofi's candidates)

You guys have fun with your viral vector / mRNA / DNA vaccines~
Got viral vector from Vaxart. 0 side effects for now.

Once Pfizer/Moderna vaccine is in my fridge, I'll get that one too.

I'm that guy who got 3 tdap shots in 3 yrs.

It's funny....I did an informal poll of pharmacists at the LTC place where I work. This is a sample of people I consider educated and informed. None of them have expressed a desire to be first in line. Was kind of surprised. I am personally a critic of the flu vaccine due to it's generally substandard efficacy and the overzealous way prescribers and retail chains seem to push it on everyone. I'm honestly not sure I've ever had the flu, and I do know of a few people I met though my career who had serious complications following a flu shot. I'm not an anti vaxxer or anything, and if they ever come up with one that works vs all strains I might be on board. The general consensus is everyone seems to worry that the vaccine was "rushed". Even when studies aren't rushed, meds make it out onto the market that still hold some nasty surprises (anyone remember "Omniflox" from the nineties?). So you certainly won't be alone in holding off...

I was in school when Omniflox came out. Manoplax and Duract came along a few years later, and thankfully I was off work the day Vioxx was withdrawn.

The one person I have known personally who died from influenza was about 70 years old and had several chronic health conditions, including an autoimmune disorder. We do miss her, but honestly, her QOL wasn't good before she got sick. My dad took his first flu shot in 1957, when he was in the Army, so declining it was not a choice, and he's always believed he got the flu from it. For many years, he refused to take it, but now he always calls my sibs and I when they start talking flu shots, to make sure we get ours.

I'm pretty sure I've had influenza a couple times. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

Not sold on the mRNA technology yet either. Corporate and government going to ram this down our throat that it is safe and effective but so far it has just been political. The cold storage logistics is a cluster**** all by itself.
I think pfizer not taking government money does eliminate some of the political concerns, but not all.

I think I heard in regards to the cold storage, that you can keep it with dry ice for 15 days- our lab has one of those super cold fridges, so I could see hospitals using them to help store.

Got viral vector from Vaxart. 0 side effects for now.

Once Pfizer/Moderna vaccine is in my fridge, I'll get that one too.

I'm that guy who got 3 tdap shots in 3 yrs.
Insurance actually covered all 3? Thought I was super adamant on tdap getting Q5 years (insurance covers) as opposed to Q10 years...I do play around with tons of metal objects in my spare time

People are going to walk around comfortably after just getting the first dose and may not even go back for the 2nd dose lol.
so true. I'd say already a good 30% or so of people I had for Shingrix miss their 2nd dose and go oh I didn't know, why didn't you call me etc. why didn't you put it in your ical/google calendar...

so true. I'd say already a good 30% or so of people I had for Shingrix miss their 2nd dose and go oh I didn't know, why didn't you call me etc. why didn't you put it in your ical/google calendar...
I swear to God, some people think it's your responsibility to hunt them down like a wild animal for dose #2...there's only so much you can do, write down the date range for dose #2, tell them to call the day before/reserve ensure shingrix is in stock/make an actual appointment if crunched for time. #Self responsibility

Although, I do have a lot of people claim shingrix being unavailable (probably have some tech/RPhs/floaters inform of being OOS when there is plenty) and go elsewhere...just make some effort on having plenty of shingrix on hand...haven't had any backorder issues for some time now (not like when it first became available)

Last edited:
A good chunk of people are basically animals/automatons/eaters

• Haha
Insurance actually covered all 3? Thought I was super adamant on tdap getting Q5 years (insurance covers) as opposed to Q10 years...I do play around with tons of metal objects in my spare time
A lot of time you get them at work for free- I know I got 2 within 3 years (when they added pertussis)

I got the moderna vaccine.

1st dose: didn’t feel a thing besides a sore arm, was pretty sure I got the placebo

2nd dose: more of the same.. until the next day where I got fever / chills / some diarrhea. Had to stay in bed for a good few hours, took some apap and ibu (I never take meds for anything really, felt like I had to this time). The day after I was all good again.

I got the moderna vaccine.

1st dose: didn’t feel a thing besides a sore arm, was pretty sure I got the placebo

2nd dose: more of the same.. until the next day where I got fever / chills / some diarrhea. Had to stay in bed for a good few hours, took some apap and ibu (I never take meds for anything really, felt like I had to this time). The day after I was all good again.
APAP/ibuprofen will lower the vaccine efficacy. I ain't taking it unless my fever is over 103+

The Vaxart vaccine I took gave me 0 side effects so far. I got lucky Moderna kicked me out due to max capacity of 30k volunteers. Went with Vaxart for $5350 1 year follow ups vs Moderna $1200 2 yrs long follow ups.

Last edited:
ADE! ADE! ADE!

Chant it like "lock her up!" "lock her up!" "lock her up!"
Yeah...that is like my worst fear. I'm one of the most pro-vaccination people I know, but that's really freaking me out.

Antigenic drift with influenza strains... ehhh that's to be expected.

Antigenic drift with SARS-COV-2.... ehhh that's a problem

I'm not an anti-vaxxer but? Then you spout antivaxer garbage.

How so? I'm anti flu vaccine because it's so unreliable and generally poorly effective. 30% effectiveness is a joke. I have no problem with the ones that actually prevent disease, like pediatric vaccines. I'm still on the fence with COVID despite the hype. Call it healthy skepticism. If you think I'm spouting "antivaxxer garbage" then clearly you've never argued with a true antivaxxer. I suggest you do that, then you can make your accusations or whatever it is you are attempting to do here.

How so? I'm anti flu vaccine because it's so unreliable and generally poorly effective. 30% effectiveness is a joke. I have no problem with the ones that actually prevent disease, like pediatric vaccines. I'm still on the fence with COVID despite the hype. Call it healthy skepticism. If you think I'm spouting "antivaxxer garbage" then clearly you've never argued with a true antivaxxer. I suggest you do that, then you can make your accusations or whatever it is you are attempting to do here.
Effective at what? Yes it is anywhere from 30-80% effective in preventing the flu, But is almost 100% effective on keeping you from dying from the flu. That is what the vaccine is for. What percentage of people who die from influenza have received the vaccine? It is very low. That is anti-vaxer BS you are spouting

Reactions: 3 users
Effective at what? Yes it is anywhere from 30-80% effective in preventing the flu, But is almost 100% effective on keeping you from dying from the flu. That is what the vaccine is for. What percentage of people who die from influenza have received the vaccine? It is very low. That is anti-vaxer BS you are spouting
Bingo. The flu vaccine isn't about prevention nearly as much as it is reduction in severity.

Alrighty then....

So everyone in retail ready for Shingrix 2.0? Got an email that vaccines are being shipped mid Dec to 2 CVS facilities near me. They even asked for volunteers to help give them to long term care facilities. Anyone else get emails?

You got the vaccines but not the healthcare staff to administer because everyone is at the bedside taking care of patients during the surge.

Or maybe hire a bunch of new grad pharmacist but you got to pay them. State and hospital budgets are strained. You have to find the funding.

I saw CVS (I have a friend is a DM and posted this as well) is hiring for surge positions, curious as to how temporary they are.

You got the vaccines but not the healthcare staff to administer because everyone is at the bedside taking care of patients during the surge.

Or maybe hire a bunch of new grad pharmacist but you got to pay them. State and hospital budgets are strained. You have to find the funding.
It's so easy to give shots that a lack of personnel is only due to federal government failure. You can train 50 people to give shots in 1-2 hours. Pay $20-25/hr and I'm sure you'll have plenty of unemployed people applying to be vaccinators.

Pure speculation from me...

Flu shot 'surge' hours were in place for 7-8 weeks. I am not sure the company hit the expected demand though. It was busier than your typical flu shot season but they wanted more. Considering Covid vaccine distribution, storage, and multi shot administration, I think 10-12 weeks has to be bare minimum for these positions. 4-6 months sounds more reasonable if we are trying to get 60-70% of population vaccinated.