Perks of being a doc: NO SCRUBS!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently some of you think that my previous warning to stay on-topic and not to discuss race in this thread was a joke.

It wasn't. Please take any further racial commentary to the Sociopolitical Forum.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa. Your patients know you by your bearing, your command of language, your knowledge, and your skills. I wear nothing but scrubs, never wear my white coat, and no patient has ever addressed me as anything other than "Doctor," even patients who don't know me and even before I introduce myself.

Typically, the patient or a family member will be talking on their cell phone and when I walk in the room will say, "let me call you back, the doctor just walked in."

My attendings wear scrubs and there is no denying that they are in charge. Many of our patients wear expensive clothes and have all the accessories but they are still uneducated, working at low-skill jobs, and I never feel like they are putting me in my place.

You have issues, don't you?

I just want to point out, Panda, that if you were a woman, the phone call goes more like "let me call you back, the nurse just walked in". There's no amount of starch on the white coat, no blazing orange nametag, no diamond encrusted personalized stethoscope that'll stop people from assuming a female hospital employee is a nurse. Conversely,male hospital employees are automatically doctors or orderlies-and I assume you don't carry a bedpan.

no diamond encrusted personalized stethoscope

Geez, women will put diamonds on anything these days. (Oh, God, no, KentW, don't give me another warning!! Aieee!!)

You all hijacked my thread. I don't like that. make your own thunder! :smuggrin:

I would wear a suit every day except I only have one and don't really want to wear the same one every day. The way to go is black tie, black pants, black suit coat, black shoes and whatever color of shirt you want. I also believe the tie is optional as just a shirt and coat can really look as sharp (check out the new avatar for an example). It is not about looking better, it is about looking RICHER than everyone . . . sorry, reading misterioso's posts makes me laugh and inspires me to make attempts at humor.

If you insist on wearing scrubs all the time PLEASE tuck in your top! I know many people (usually women who need to lose a few pounds--nurses and doctors) that don't tuck in their scrub top. It makes them look like slobs and guess what :eek: . . . I can still see your belly! Oh, and if you wear a coat over your scrubs then button the stupid thing!

As far as perks . . . I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I feel for finishing medical school, when I know I did everything I could for every patient I saw in a day and when I see how happy my family is because I am providing for them.

It is also fun to answer a page in a public place with "This is Dr. ______, I was paged?"

Tell the folks at the Mayo Clinic that. Apparently you can't appreciate a well-dressed professional in the workplace.

Where I went to medical school the surgeons all wore shirt and tie on rounds with a clean white coat. Shirt and tie mandatory for the clinic. Scrubs were only for the OR. People see you as more professional when you look the part. I enjoyed being part of that culture and somewhat miss that now during residency where some attendings will round in jeans on the weekends.

I never said I can't appreciate a well dressed professional. To each his own. I just prefer to wear what I feel comfortable in. Many students at my school HATE rotating at Mayo because of their dress code. How on earth can we, as med students, afford 5 different suits?

If you insist on wearing scrubs all the time PLEASE tuck in your top! I know many people (usually women who need to lose a few pounds--nurses and doctors) that don't tuck in their scrub top. It makes them look like slobs and guess what :eek: . . . I can still see your belly!

Usually the surgery residents are the only ones to tuck in their scrub tops - everyone else tends to just let it flop out. :)

I don't mind dressing up. In fact I dislike wearing scrubs.

However, I can see the point of view that ties are a fomite and should be done away with in medicine. I've seen ties dip into all kinds of stuff when doctors are leaning over to examine patients. :scared:

Maybe there should be some kind of rule - when you're wearing ties, button your white coat over it so it doesn't fall out and touch the patient's wound (or whatever else is dirty).

Or go into surgery where you only wear ties in clinic. :)

Maybe there should be some kind of rule - when you're wearing ties, button your white coat over it so it doesn't fall out and touch the patient's wound (or whatever else is dirty).

Or go into surgery where you only wear ties in clinic. :)

78% of respondants say that ties look oh so sharp and are oh so dirty (not in a good way). I also think that ties look better under a suit coat or a buttoned white coat.

Why don't you guys compromise and wear a tie with scrubs and have the scrubs hiked up to your nipples so you can tuck the tie into the scrubs?

I never button my white coat (when I wear it which is seldom) and I tuck in my scrub top. Doesn't everybody?

Man, some of you have some real hang-ups. For my part, I have not worn anything but scrubs for the last fourteen months ever since I left that hell-hole of old-school ridiculousness which I will only call "Earl" for fear of calling down the ire of its many rabid defenders.

I never button my white coat (when I wear it which is seldom) and I tuck in my scrub top. Doesn't everybody?

I can't say I've ever seen a physician with his/her scrub top untucked but I suppose others have as evidenced by posts here. I rarely button my coat, if only because its a nuisance when I put it on and off so many times a day.

Personally, I wear scrubs almost all the time, top tucked in of course (try scrubbing and remaining sterile with that thing flapping all over the place!), and hardly ever wear my white coat. Then again, it's a short white coat here... :(

BTW, for those that untuck their scrub tops, how do you quickly get to your pager?

BTW, for those that untuck their scrub tops, how do you quickly get to your pager?

It's a pager not a bomb and having a scrub top loose isn't like being Houdini and you're chained to a chair or something. Does your program execute you if you take more than three seconds to answer a page? ;)

It's a pager not a bomb and having a scrub top loose isn't like being Houdini and you're chained to a chair or something. Does your program execute you if you take more than three seconds to answer a page? ;)

True, the pager thing was just an additional thought that crossed my mind. But for us in surgery, not only is an untucked scrub top sloppy, but it can inadvertently contaminate your sterile hands when you're scrubbing/drying/gowning.

Tell the folks at the Mayo Clinic that. Apparently you can't appreciate a well-dressed professional in the workplace.

Where I went to medical school the surgeons all wore shirt and tie on rounds with a clean white coat. Shirt and tie mandatory for the clinic. Scrubs were only for the OR. People see you as more professional when you look the part. I enjoyed being part of that culture and somewhat miss that now during residency where some attendings will round in jeans on the weekends.

Right on bro. That's one of the reasons Mayo is in a league of it's own. Nobility from around the world fly in to be treated at Mayo. You can't be rounding on royalty looking like you were hired that morning outside of Home Depot.

Right on bro. That's one of the reasons Mayo is in a league of it's own. Nobility from around the world fly in to be treated at Mayo. You can't be rounding on royalty looking like you were hired that morning outside of Home Depot.

You know, we fought a war 231 year ago so we wouldn't have to kiss the asses of royalty. "Nobility." Har. That's a laugh. Just one more reason I'm glad to have left "Earl" which, as it is a world-class medical center on par with the Mayo Clinic, sees its fair share of "nobility."

It is should be embarrassing to any red-blooded American to have to kow-tow to any hereditary nobility.

You know, we fought a war 231 year ago so we wouldn't have to kiss the asses of royalty. "Nobility." Har. That's a laugh. Just one more reason I'm glad to have left "Earl" which, as it is a world-class medical center on par with the Mayo Clinic, sees its fair share of "nobility."

It is should be embarrassing to any red-blooded American to have to kow-tow to any hereditary nobility.

It does not concern you, commoner. You go back to treating any degenerate that crawls through the door of your ER and let the high class docs take care of the important people who can buy and sell you and your family if they wanted to.

regal1.jpg

PB, you've got me laughin...I can just visualize some surgeon in clinic
with his tie tucked into his nipple high scrub pants...I am lovin' this.

Back on track with the perks.

Getting up before the sun rises and going home long after the sun sets.
Doing digital rectal exams.
Filling out insurance forms.
Never going outside during the day.
Bacterial vaginosis!

These perks rock!!

True, the pager thing was just an additional thought that crossed my mind. But for us in surgery, not only is an untucked scrub top sloppy, but it can inadvertently contaminate your sterile hands when you're scrubbing/drying/gowning.

What? How is this possible? If your untucked scrub top threatens to contaminate you in this way, it's either three sizes too big, or it's alive and moving on its own.

I'm one of those pariahs who don't tuck in the tops when wearing scrubs. I wouldn't tuck in a t shirt when I wear jeans, and although I would never admit this in public, the idea of tucking in a scrub top feels similarly dorky to me. I realize my viewpoint on scrub fashion is in the minority, but the idea that an untucked scrub top is some kind of dangerous handicap is ridiculous.

I agree with Entei.

Generally, I wear my scrub top untucked and have no problem with it. Although let me note that when scrubbing in for OR, I do tuck it in.

Maybe I'm just a fence-sitter.....:D

What? How is this possible? If your untucked scrub top threatens to contaminate you in this way, it's either three sizes too big, or it's alive and moving on its own.

I'm one of those pariahs who don't tuck in the tops when wearing scrubs. I wouldn't tuck in a t shirt when I wear jeans, and although I would never admit this in public, the idea of tucking in a scrub top feels similarly dorky to me. I realize my viewpoint on scrub fashion is in the minority, but the idea that an untucked scrub top is some kind of dangerous handicap is ridiculous.

I agree...the chances of contaminating yourself in this fashion are slim.

When I was trained to scrub, we were required not only to tuck in the top but the strings as well. Made sense to me if you weren't scrubbing but rather just leaning into watch, but I was never sure how that lessened by chances of contamination when scrubbing.

It's only been a few weeks. You'll see. :)

When I was trained to scrub, we were required not only to tuck in the top but the strings as well.

I've heard of that as well.

Usually the surgery residents are the only ones to tuck in their scrub tops - everyone else tends to just let it flop out. :)

That's funny, because the only people here that have it untucked are surgeons and anesthesiologists. :laugh: To be fair though, the surgeons that are very aware of sterile technique always wear it tucked in.

I am a somewhat tall guy (6'1") and a large top is just too short and becomes untucked too easily unless I really do pull my bottoms up to my nipples. Therefore I need the extra large top. While the jump in length from L to XL is small (but enough) the jump in girth is MASSIVE. I am fairly thin (about 165 lbs.) and I am just swimming in the stupid thing. This is the same for the pants. I wear the XL or XXL for the length and could easily fit 2 of me in them girth-wise. They need to come out with an XL-tall size scrub.

When I was trained to scrub, we were required not only to tuck in the top but the strings as well. Made sense to me if you weren't scrubbing but rather just leaning into watch, but I was never sure how that lessened by chances of contamination when scrubbing.

Only makes sense if you're standing on your head while you're watching. How do you contaminate something with your drawstrings while you lean in to watch something? Are you twirling them like a lasso?

Wearing scrubs is also one of the perks you get in jail, isn't it?

Then again, it's a short white coat here... :(

You wear a short white coat? I thought you were a resident?

And, also, for those that untuck your scrub tops - doesn't the edge of your pager dig into your skin whenever you sit down? (If you ever get a chance to sit down, that is.) That's why I started tucking in my scrub tops - I was tired of sitting down at morning report, and then quickly standing up again after the pager edge poked my stomach.

Only makes sense if you're standing on your head while you're watching. How do you contaminate something with your drawstrings while you lean in to watch something? Are you twirling them like a lasso?

I agree its probably uncommon but I have seen some come dangerously close with the strings when standing on a stool and leaning into see something better. These also tend to be the students who wear their badge on their chest pocket and have it dangling perilously close to the sterile field.

But at any rate, I didn't make the rules...I just mindlessly follow them.;)

There was some major intra-mod owning going on in this thread. :D

:laugh:

True

Alternatively you can buy a pair online for like $5 but whatever.

I agree its probably uncommon but I have seen some come dangerously close with the strings when standing on a stool and leaning into see something better. These also tend to be the students who wear their badge on their chest pocket and have it dangling perilously close to the sterile field.

But at any rate, I didn't make the rules...I just mindlessly follow them.;)

I know what you mean. After I was "indoctrinated" in proper scrub-wearing techniques during my third-year surgery rotation, they stuck with me throughout residency, even outside the OR.

The other unmentioned benefit of tucking in the ties is that they're less likely to inadvertently catch on something and come untied, resulting in a sudden "de-pantsing." The weight of a pager virtually guarantees a rapid descent.

Never tuck my scrub top, never had it become a problem with sterile field either. I can't fathom how it can contaminate you scrubbing because your arms are supposed to stay higher than your waist anyway, then it's covered by the gown when you gown up. How can it contaminate you?

I'm a big guy, both in height and girth so that may be why it's never been a problem (need to lose weight badly).

As someone else said, that would feel like tucking in a t-shirt.

The reason I wear scrubs is for comfort and to keep blood off my clothes, tucked in isn't as comfortable.

Now now, don't forget radiologists...they've been known to do that too. :)

That's what we call the radiology 'mullet' --
The biggest fashion faux pas in medicine- scrub tops and khaki pants...
You might as well complete the ensemble with sandals and white socks.

Just don't do it!

I always tuck my t-shirts in but I guess the same isn't true for men...I suppose its gotten a little geeky.

I'm a female and I haven't tucked in my t-shirt in years. I don't like to tuck in scrub tops either. Usually, I don't even wear my scrub top. Instead, I wear a cotton T-shirt with my scrub bottoms(not tucked in of course, but my tshirts are not long.) I don't really like the scrub bottoms either. On several occasions, I have seriously considered buying nice female scrub bottoms that are actually designed to fit women, similar to the ones you see female doctors on TV shows wearing. The nurses in the hospital actually wear some decently-fitting scrubs that actually look cute on women. Since I only wear scrubs on call days and in the ICU, I've held off on buying them.

That's what we call the radiology 'mullet' --
The biggest fashion faux pas in medicine- scrub tops and khaki pants...
You might as well complete the ensemble with sandals and white socks.

Just don't do it!

Agreed!

I am a somewhat tall guy (6'1") and a large top is just too short and becomes untucked too easily unless I really do pull my bottoms up to my nipples. Therefore I need the extra large top. While the jump in length from L to XL is small (but enough) the jump in girth is MASSIVE. I am fairly thin (about 165 lbs.) and I am just swimming in the stupid thing. This is the same for the pants. I wear the XL or XXL for the length and could easily fit 2 of me in them girth-wise. They need to come out with an XL-tall size scrub.

I deal with the exact same problem. If you are tall, you are forced to wear scrubs that are gigantic in the waist just to get the length. If I wear the proper size waist, I look like I'm wearing capri pants. Whoever sizes these things must think that if you grow three to four inches in height you must gain 50 to 60 pounds.

I'm about to give up and buy my own dang scrubs.

I deal with the exact same problem. If you are tall, you are forced to wear scrubs that are gigantic in the waist just to get the length. If I wear the proper size waist, I look like I'm wearing capri pants. Whoever sizes these things must think that if you grow three to four inches in height you must gain 50 to 60 pounds.

I'm about to give up and buy my own dang scrubs.

HAHA! I have grabbed L bottoms that were incorrectly placed in the XL spot and been in too much of a hurry to really notice until sometime later when I am sitting down and the bottom of my pants are halfway up my lower leg (I know that in medicine just "leg" means lower leg but old habits die hard).

I know what you mean. After I was "indoctrinated" in proper scrub-wearing techniques during my third-year surgery rotation, they stuck with me throughout residency, even outside the OR.

The other unmentioned benefit of tucking in the ties is that they're less likely to inadvertently catch on something and come untied, resulting in a sudden "de-pantsing." The weight of a pager virtually guarantees a rapid descent.

We had a CT fellow once who was in the middle of a CABG one day when one of his pagers went off. He was carrying three at the time and had them all positioned right next to the drawstrings in front. He asks the circulator to check his pager. She has to reach under his gown and around front and is fumbling for the pager (and trying not to accidentally get anything else!) and in the process, his scrubs come untied. The weight of 3 pagers dropped his pants to the floor. Rather than scrub out, he finished the case in his boxers! From then on, he never forgot to take his pagers off and give them to the circulator BEFORE scrubbing. :)