Best scrubs for dad bod friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raiderette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a graduation/intern gift for a friend. He insisted that he didn't need scrubs, but joked with me today that the two rotations that allowed scrubs suddenly became 1/3 of his residency. He is my friend, but I am not buying him Figs, so does anyone have good recommendations for men's scrubs?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you Figs are so uncool...may I suggest
1593149472453.png

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Have you confirmed that his program allows personal scrubs for physicians? Many hospitals only allow their internal ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you confirmed that his program allows personal scrubs for physicians? Many hospitals only allow their internal ones.
Yes. He told me that he got an email saying he could wear them.

Why not Figs? During covid changed out the shirt and slacks for scrubs, and nurses are all over the Figs!

Because I have heard they are quite fitted for guys, and I don't think he wants to show off his quarantine belly.
Why not Figs? During covid changed out the shirt and slacks for scrubs, and nurses are all over the Figs!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure he will lose his weight running around as an intern.
I am genuinely shocked nobody has actually answered seriously. Every time I see a suggestion for scrubs, it is for women. Hard to find honest reviews for men.
In that case, maybe giving him some money towards a Peloton would be more useful....

I am genuinely shocked nobody has actually answered seriously. Every time I see a suggestion for scrubs, it is for women. Hard to find honest reviews for men.

I am not convinced that he’ll definitely lose weight during intern year. There is “running around” for sure, but that’s usually not enough to keep weight down (as the cardiologists at my residency hospital were so fond of telling us.) There is usually a lot of junk food available at all hours, and that’s usually the easiest thing to eat on the run, too.

I’m a little confused as to why you would like to buy your friend scrubs, seeing as all hospitals provide them for house staff. If he doesn’t really care about how they fit (i.e. doesn’t want to get them tailored in order to show off his body) then why not just wear the hospital issued scrubs? I didn’t buy scrubs until I became an attending.

I wanted to get him some scrubs that felt nice. From my rotations, I would rather wear my own soft, comfortable scrubs, and it is one thing I know he will use.
I am not convinced that he’ll definitely lose weight during intern year. There is “running around” for sure, but that’s usually not enough to keep weight down (as the cardiologists at my residency hospital were so fond of telling us.) There is usually a lot of junk food available at all hours, and that’s usually the easiest thing to eat on the run, too.

I’m a little confused as to why you would like to buy your friend scrubs, seeing as all hospitals provide them for house staff. If he doesn’t really care about how they fit (i.e. doesn’t want to get them tailored in order to show off his body) then why not just wear the hospital issued scrubs? I didn’t buy scrubs until I became an attending.

Yes, he is just a friend, considering he officiated my wedding. As for if he is a real dude, I think being comfortable is not a feminine trait. Thanks, though. Considering the pre-med pages have 2000 pages on Men's interview attire, I really thought SDN would have a recommendation or two. I know I found a decent scrub recommendation when I was looking for myself.
You sure this is just a "friend"? Just let him wear the scrubs free from the hospital. If he a real dude, he don't care about how soft they are. And give him a gift card for Outback so he can eat well.

Hmmmmm...."genuine shock?".......bees dying off, deserts growing, modern slavery, blood smuggling, rise of robots and artificial intelligence,
income inequality, climate change........seems to me that the aforementioned events, are surprising, upsetting or bring on a feeling of horror or disgust, in a word shocking.........but not receiving a timely recommendation regarding scrubs for your corpulent friend ...may be a bit....what can i say.....overly dramatic....nah your are correct....i'll do my best to come up with a soft, comfortable clothing combination of top and bottom..........hmmm...dont the the scrubs in most every surgical locker room fit that definition.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to get him some scrubs that felt nice. From my rotations, I would rather wear my own soft, comfortable scrubs, and it is one thing I know he will use.

I see.

Your thread has me thinking back to intern year. I honestly would have been a little bit annoyed if someone had bought me scrubs, to be honest. The hospital ones are often very soft, because they’ve been washed so much. Plus, the hospital washes them for you! If you get urine, blood, vomit, pus, poop, or amniotic fluid on your scrubs (which happens, as you probably know), I don’t have to bring that home and wash that stuff in my home washing machine. Or, worse, wash that stuff in a washing machine that I share with other people in my apartment building.

When I was an intern, I definitely would have preferred comfortable shoes over my own set of scrubs. Or coffee. OMG, so much coffee.

I like my Dickies scrubs. I'm a big fan of the pockets. I don't consider myself to be overweight, just muscular (not as muscular as before COVID though).

5.11 has some nice cargo pants, too.

As a resident I rarely had to wear scrubs, so I bought a pair of Carhart ones on the recommendation of a male RN. They were for my weekend call days. I thought they looked more substantial than the hospital ones, where I felt I wasn’t wearing anything. Maybe some guys like that feeling, but I don’t.

Now with COVID, I have quite a few pairs and I wear them everyday. I stopped wearing a shirt and slacks. They hold up well. I like that there’s a button and zipper fly. And pockets are great.

I think the thought will be what matters. I'd consider getting him really comfortable walking shoes if he's not a surgical resident. I' all for comfort but I really don't think scrubs really matter. Go a size up on scrubs to ensure that they are not form-fitting.

recently saw a friend wear a pair of charcoal figs, looked really good, At first i couldn’t even tell they were scrubs, he has a dad-ish bod. I don’t know how figs are fitted, like do you give them your sizes and they make them custom or just get something off the rack? If there is a Return policy he could just say they are too tight. Also typically people wear them with a hoody or white coat or something, to my knowledge personalized scrubs are not allowed in the OR, at least in the 4 tertiary hospitals I’ve been in. So as long as they are comfortable I doubt he will be self-concious if they are too fitted. Usually too me fitted scrubs for guys mean they are a little tight in the chest and sleeves but the belly is give a margin of safety

Thank you. I called him today to see how it felt to be called Dr. He did wear scrubs today, and he said he wished the hospital scrubs had more pockets. Guess he will appreciate the gift and I will go for cargo pant scrubs.
I do like my own Figs, though I prefer Jaanuu, but I am obviously not a guy.
recently saw a friend wear a pair of charcoal figs, looked really good, At first i couldn’t even tell they were scrubs, he has a dad-ish bod. I don’t know how figs are fitted, like do you give them your sizes and they make them custom or just get something off the rack? If there is a Return policy he could just say they are too tight. Also typically people wear them with a hoody or white coat or something, to my knowledge personalized scrubs are not allowed in the OR, at least in the 4 tertiary hospitals I’ve been in. So as long as they are comfortable I doubt he will be self-concious if they are too fitted. Usually too me fitted scrubs for guys mean they are a little tight in the chest and sleeves but the belly is give a margin of safety