Started licensing process in a state I will no longer be working in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oedipa Maas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I started the application process for my unrestricted license in two different states. The initial intent was to work in both states, but this will no longer be the case. What do I do about this pending incomplete application? Am I stuck with completing it and renewing it indefinitely? Would it be held against me to not complete it somehow? I haven't been able to find much information about this.

Members don't see this ad.

While it's true that not completing the process won't have any realy impact on you, I did discover recently that some states (*cough* Washington *cough*) will consider a previously incomplete application that is later reopened a flag that will delay your application and result in a bunch of bulls*** hoops to jump through the 2nd time around.

It didn't cost me anything but time and aggravation, but knowing what I know now, I probably would have just completed the process the first time and kept the license (which my employer would have paid for anyway).

But if you're never going to work in that state, forget about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ignoring things is never a good idea...call the board, tell them your situation, get their advice. We definitely can't even guess at any other advice if we don't even know your state. If you really don't have the hold time free, send them an email. The little bit of effort is certainly worth it if your plans ever change in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure most state boards have an option to withdraw the application without consequence. Something similar happened to me once and they said just withdraw the application and it basically goes away.

Counterpoint: Finish the application. If you're starting a new job you never know how the job you end up with will go and it is a lot easier to find a new one in that other state if you are already licensed. Not to mention additional benefits of licenses in a few states for telehealth reasons (even if for like, weird startups that you're doing for side cash). If you've already started the process and half the headache is already done, I'd just finish it. The few hundred bucks every few years is worth it for flexibility if it's somewhere you were willing to move.

Reactions: 2 users
Counterpoint: Finish the application. If you're starting a new job you never know how the job you end up with will go and it is a lot easier to find a new one in that other state if you are already licensed. Not to mention additional benefits of licenses in a few states for telehealth reasons (even if for like, weird startups that you're doing for side cash). If you've already started the process and half the headache is already done, I'd just finish it. The few hundred bucks every few years is worth it for flexibility if it's somewhere you were willing to move.

I agree with this. I have seen credentialing apps where even a withdrawn state medical license application can trigger having to write out a long explanation etc etc…

To avoid any possibility of problems, I’d just finish the app and be done with it. You don’t have to renew it later if you don’t want to.

Reactions: 1 user