People with dual physician parents - are you rich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My only real issue with my wealthier classmates is that many of them try to play up any minor difficulty they had in life in some sort of attempt to gain clout. "I struggled with this one minor thing and I overcame it! I struggled just as much as you guys who had parents making less than 50K a year, went to **** public schools, etc." I won't shame them for the luck of having wealthy parents, but don't try and kid yourself into believing you had a similarly challenging situation growing up and especially don't try to bull**** me about it. There is no pecking order to struggle and it doesn't make them look any better to those who can recognize their exaggerations.

My issue is people who brag that they're not going to have loans, or really even if they just kinda dismiss it like "well i wont have any loans so..."

To me its pretty tone-deaf to brag about it when having hundreds of thousands of debt with all the uncertainty in medicine compounded with its natural stressors isn't too fun. If it was me I would only mention it if directly asked and definitely acknowledge how lucky I was.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My issue is people who brag that they're not going to have loans, or really even if they just kinda dismiss it like "well i wont have any loans so..."

To me its pretty tone-deaf to brag about it when having hundreds of thousands of debt with all the uncertainty in medicine compounded with its natural stressors isn't too fun. If it was me I would only mention it if directly asked and definitely acknowledge how lucky I was.
Yeah I tried to minimize my lack of loans through school and residency.

Definitely wasn't lucky though as the money was my dad's life insurance policy from when he died unexpectedly 2 months before I started med school.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
If it was me I would only mention it if directly asked and definitely acknowledge how lucky I was.

Such PC bull that is starting to become a fabric of our society. No one should brag at how good they have it. But there is no reason to apologize that you are lucky.

If someone's parents paid for their school, had no loans, bought them a place to live, got them a high end sports care then GREAT for them. There is NO reason for them have to acknowledge how lucky they are.

I don't believe anyone should brag but it sounds so way to PC pandering to have to acknowledge that you have successful parents.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Such PC bull that is starting to become a fabric of our society. No one should brag at how good they have it. But there is no reason to apologize that you are lucky.

If someone's parents paid for their school, had no loans, bought them a place to live, got them a high end sports care then GREAT for them. There is NO reason for them have to acknowledge how lucky they are.

I don't believe anyone should brag but it sounds so way to PC pandering to have to acknowledge that you have successful parents.

I think there's a big difference between acknowledging and apologizing. Also, this is just me, personally I do not like coming across as a braggard or an ungrateful ****

People in this thread (and physicians in general) really have no concept how most of the population lives. That's kinda disheartening but I guess that can be the consequence of this profession...
I suspect that's true of any high earning profession, and honestly I'd bet we are more aware than most of that group on the whole.

• Hmm
People in this thread (and physicians in general) really have no concept how most of the population lives. That's kinda disheartening but I guess that can be the consequence of this profession...
Or we are aware and realize the discipline, sacrifice and hard work that we put in that the rest didn’t. We did not live out or youth years carefree in hopes of having something special for us and our families in our middle age.

Reactions: 6 users
You must not live in the real world...six figures today does not make you rich, IMHO.
It depends on what you consider the “real world”. In the region of the US I’m from, the median household income is about $45k...so yes, six figures in that area would make you “rich”, comparatively speaking. This is not a small region either, it spans multiple states and contains about 15 million people.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what you consider the “real world”. In the region of the US I’m from, the median household income is about $45k...so yes, six figures in that area would make you “rich”, comparatively speaking. This is not a small region either, it spans multiple states and contains about 15 million people.
So, lets say you earn $100,000 in your region with four kids, please tell me if you believe that family is rich?

Or we are aware and realize the discipline, sacrifice and hard work that we put in that the rest didn’t. We did not live out or youth years carefree in hopes of having something special for us and our families in our middle age.
Serious question: How much poverty do think it directly related to a carefree youth?

So, lets say you earn $100,000 in your region with four kids, please tell me if you believe that family is rich?
I have experience on both ends of this spectrum, having earned both the lower salary as well as the higher and more with more than 4 kids. The six figure plus salary did feel “rich”, because I knew that a busted appliance or a vehicle repair wasn’t going to drain my emergency savings and we weren’t living paycheck to paycheck. We drove nice, newer vehicles and were easily able to pay our bills, fund the kids’ extracurricular activities, help them with college, eat out anytime we wanted, and had several months’ expenses in savings. We lived in a nice home with land and bought all of our driving kids good vehicles...not brand new because of depreciation, but low mileage, great condition.

The only thing we weren’t able to do at that income level was fly first class on lavish vacations, but we went to several pro sports events for birthdays and on a ton of road trips during those good years, and did a couple of really cool trips where we did fly somewhere.

Maybe some of you are laughing at me when I describe that as “feeling rich”, but I didn’t go on my first vacation until I was married, and we ate out about 5 times a year when I was a kid...it was such a big event to drive to the town 30 min away that we had to shower and change into church clothes to go, so that income level is very different from how I grew up.

I think one thing that gets overlooked in the rich vs not rich debate is the security that comes with knowing that you can pay for vehicle repairs, medical bills, household repairs, etc without hardship. That’s one major thing that makes lower income folks “feel rich” when they can now afford to put away 6 months of expenses into savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
I have experience on both ends of this spectrum, having earned both the lower salary as well as the higher and more with more than 4 kids. The six figure plus salary did feel “rich”, because I knew that a busted appliance or a vehicle repair wasn’t going to drain my emergency savings and we weren’t living paycheck to paycheck. We drove nice, newer vehicles and were easily able to pay our bills, fund the kids’ extracurricular activities, help them with college, eat out anytime we wanted, and had several months’ expenses in savings. We lived in a nice home with land and bought all of our driving kids good vehicles...not brand new because of depreciation, but low mileage, great condition.

The only thing we weren’t able to do at that income level was fly first class on lavish vacations, but we went to several pro sports events for birthdays and on a ton of road trips during those good years, and did a couple of really cool trips where we did fly somewhere.

Maybe some of you are laughing at me when I describe that as “feeling rich”, but I didn’t go on my first vacation until I was married, and we ate out about 5 times a year when I was a kid...it was such a big event to drive to the town 30 min away that we had to shower and change into church clothes to go, so that income level is very different from how I grew up.

I think one thing that gets overlooked in the rich vs not rich debate is the security that comes with knowing that you can pay for vehicle repairs, medical bills, household repairs, etc without hardship. That’s one major thing that makes lower income folks “feel rich” when they can now afford to put away 6 months of expenses into savings.
Indeed. Living within means but having enough left over to pay for emergencies is probably the first most important step. Then, wealth (rich is too meaningless a term) is accumulated through investments. However, if you don't have the means to pay for emergencies in the first place, you can never acquire wealth as there is no money for investments.

Of course, if you start out with wealth, then the only thing you can do is accumulate more unless you A) murder someone and get caught or B) have a crippling vice or C) trust someone with your wealth who robs you of it or D) all of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don't know whether I should agree with you or not, but just like you, I was at somewhat both end of the spectrum. ~120k/year combined before med school and now ~60k. I was (or we were) not rich, but boy! we did not have to think when will be our next payday.

However, limiting your mortgage/rent to a very reasonable amount makes a HUGE difference. The average American spend ~35% of their net income in rent/mortgage. I was spending probably a little bit over half of that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a state of mind. My father is somewhere in the >.1%, but his lifestyle is indistinguishable from that of someone who makes 60k per year.

Probably has to do with being raised on the tail-end of the Great Depression.

This is so important. Did the rest of the population take organic chemistry? Or the MCAT, or the USMLEs, or countless of other high stakes classes/exams sacrificing their entire 20s putting in slave labor while dealing with crippling anxiety with the uncertainty that comes with this training? Anytime you feel badly about how the other half lives, think about that and remember that most other people partied their way through life/college (if they went at all) during this time going into a profession that takes not even 1/10th of the effort.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
This is so important. Did the rest of the population take organic chemistry? Or the MCAT, or the USMLEs, or countless of other high stakes classes/exams sacrificing their entire 20s putting in slave labor while dealing with crippling anxiety with the uncertainty that comes with this training? Anytime you feel badly about how the other half lives, think about that and remember that most other people partied their way through life/college (if they went at all) during this time going into a profession that takes not even 1/10th of the effort.
And there are poor people who work harder, and deal with more stress than we can ever imagine. It doesn't do well to equate work/stress to income, especially in this society, as they are not equal.

I agree, being a physician is a grueling path, and there are 'easier ways' to make an equivalent amount of money, but the comparison makes it sound like someone's future income/wealth is related to their integrity / the work they put in. Being able to be a physician still requires some sense of privilege. You have to be able to go to undergrad, your chances increase exponentially if you have a family that can support that, or are or know physicians, and people often forget this but intelligence in itself is a privilege. Some people, no matter what resources they have and no matter how hard they work can't go on to be a physician.

Plus, the point of this thread isn't about if these people "earned" it or not. It's just asking if they'd be rich. And yes, most of society would consider a physician couple to be rich.

And there are poor people who work harder, and deal with more stress than we can ever imagine. It doesn't do well to equate work/stress to income, especially in this society, as they are not equal.

I agree, being a physician is a grueling path, and there are 'easier ways' to make an equivalent amount of money, but the comparison makes it sound like someone's future income/wealth is related to their integrity / the work they put in. Being able to be a physician still requires some sense of privilege. You have to be able to go to undergrad, your chances increase exponentially if you have a family that can support that, or are or know physicians, and people often forget this but intelligence in itself is a privilege. Some people, no matter what resources they have and no matter how hard they work can't go on to be a physician.

Plus, the point of this thread isn't about if these people "earned" it or not. It's just asking if they'd be rich. And yes, most of society would consider a physician couple to be rich.
Tell me that 'easier' way and I will leave medicine today...

Tell me that 'easier' way and I will leave medicine today...
Lol fair point. Medicine is certainly the safest way, you get through school you have a high income job. But you can make more money relatively "easier" through engineering/software dev/finance/running a small business. Hell, I made enough off meme stocks the last 3 months to pay for med school + undergrad debt but that's definitely a 'rarity' situation.

I know plenty of tradesmen with private businesses that make as much as your 'average' physician. And they got to start making that sooner, with less debt.

Some of the above is obviously not as safe and potentially not as consistent as well, and perhaps unrewarding (finance imo, I hated the last 3 months lmao).

Either way, there's obviously a lot more to careers though than the income. That's why I'm going into a relatively low-paying specialty despite having the opportunity to do otherwise.

Not when it counted. I was in construction, it was hard work, but it was "easy". Mindnumbing. There was no sense of struggle to learn something, constantly, at a break-neck pace, for months/years at a time.

I don't know if people in SDN try to be humble. There was a thread a few months back about the average Joe (aka average IQ) can become a physician. Maybe people in SDN don't interact that much with average person. Or maybe my entourage is not representative of the average. Being a tutor in the past of mostly nursing students, I frankly think the average US citizen is just dumb.

Reactions: 6 users
Not when it counted. I was in construction, it was hard work, but it was "easy". Mindnumbing. There was no sense of struggle to learn something, constantly, at a break-neck pace, for months/years at a time.

I worked in construction for almost two decades as well, but what someone considers easy and hard is gonna vary. Some people judge difficulty by cerebral aspects, some by physical. You can't really compare em.

I consider my time now, as a med student at least, 1000x easier than when I worked my ass off in construction.

You may have a different opinion of course, which you are entitled to because what is easier and harder is relative.

Last edited:
I don't know if people in SDN try to be humble. There was a thread a few months back about the average Joe (aka average IQ) can become a physician. Maybe people in SDN don't interact that much with average person. Or maybe my entourage is not representative of the average. Being a tutor in the past of mostly nursing students. I frankly think the average US citizen is just dumb.

Oh yeah agreed. I'm the only one amongst my friends to go on to college let alone professional school. Come from a blue-collar family that work your regular jobs (retail, construction, etc). No matter what, they wouldn't be able to enter medicine.

You could argue perhaps it was their upbringing, the impact it had on their development, etc etc. but either way as they are now, nothing will change that.

Lol fair point. Medicine is certainly the safest way, you get through school you have a high income job. But you can make more money relatively "easier" through engineering/software dev/finance/running a small business. Hell, I made enough off meme stocks the last 3 months to pay for med school + undergrad debt but that's definitely a 'rarity' situation.

I know plenty of tradesmen with private businesses that make as much as your 'average' physician. And they got to start making that sooner, with less debt.

Some of the above is obviously not as safe and potentially not as consistent as well, and perhaps unrewarding (finance imo, I hated the last 3 months lmao).

Either way, there's obviously a lot more to careers though than the income. That's why I'm going into a relatively low-paying specialty despite having the opportunity to do otherwise.
I don't know about business, but I have 3 close friends that are engineers for 10+ yrs.

Civil < 100k after 10 yrs
Computer ~120k working for the feds
Software ~ 160k working in the private sector

Only in SDN running a small business is 'easy'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I don't know if people in SDN try to be humble. There was a thread a few months back about the average Joe (aka average IQ) can become a physician. Maybe people in SDN don't interact that much with average person. Or maybe my entourage is not representative of the average. Being a tutor in the past of mostly nursing students, I frankly think the average US citizen is just dumb.
The average American is dumb but the mental horsepower required in medical school is comically overplayed. There isn't anything hard to learn in med school for boards. It requires many other skills that make it inaccessible for the average American.

To be honest, it sounds like you are really not well informed or are just trolling.

• Hmm
Only in SDN running a small business is 'easy'.

Fair point there. My dad's small business averaged 35k a year over his career. He would've been better off with a union job. And I suppose private practices are small businesses, with on average more upward potential than most.

The average American is dumb but the mental horsepower required in medical school is comically overplayed. There isn't anything hard to learn in med school for boards. It requires many other skills that make it inaccessible for the average American.
I actually agree that once you get into med school, it's not extremely difficult to make it out, but we are talking about the average Joe here.

Perhaps, but the sheer volume of information and the vast amount of time needed just to pass each stage of training is not something most people can handle. That just goes for med school/residency. What you need to master in undergrad (premed requisite coursework) does require a high level of intelligence/aptitude that not everyone can achieve. For some classes in undergrad (notably organic chemistry, physics, etc) sheer time dedication doesn't always lead to favorable results. And that is just what you need to do to get to the starting line towards becoming a physician.

Last edited:

Much of the material is abstract and conceptually complex, and there is a large volume of information to learn. What’s doable for an average medical student (>90th percentile IQ) isn’t necessarily doable for the majority of the US population.

I worked in construction for almost two decades as well, but what someone considers easy and hard is gonna vary. Some people judge difficulty by cerebral aspects, some by physical. You can't really compare em.

I consider my time now, as a med student at least, 1000x easier than when I worked my ass off in construction.

You may have a different opinion of course, which you are entitled to because what is easier and harder is relative.
Anyone who thinks construction or a tradesman with a small business is easy is just misguided. My best friend I hunt and fish with has a small contracting business. His day doesn't end at 4:30 pm. After working on the job, chasing down materials, hitting the punch list at a completed job, looking at new jobs, spending 3 or 4 hrs after dinner doing estimates, is not for everyone. Contractors don't just crack a beer and put their feet up when they get home.

Perhaps, but the shear volume of information and the vast amount of time needed just to pass each stage of training is not something most people can handle. That just goes for med school/residency. What you need to master in undergrad (premed requisite coursework) does require a high level of intelligence/aptitude that not everyone can achieve. For some classes in undergrad (notably organic chemistry, physics, etc) shear time dedication doesn't always lead to favorable results. And that is just what you need to do to get to the starting line towards becoming a physician.
We agree here.

Much of the material is abstract and conceptually complex, and there is a large volume of information to learn. What’s doable for an average medical student (>90th percentile IQ) isn’t necessarily doable for the majority of the US population.
There is pretty much nothing complex about M1 and M2 compared to undergrad coursework. In fact, undergrad usually has intellectually challenging course work by comparison.

Ha. The thread went to 11 on the “doctors are just better people, period” mentality.

Noice.
Which is great because my experience has been that a pretty decent percentage of doctor's... kinda suck. Not sure if its above the population level of jerks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were exceptional in that particular regard.

• Haha
Which is great because my experience has been that a pretty decent percentage of doctor's... kinda suck. Not sure if its above the population level of jerks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were exceptional in that particular regard.
512mp8.jpg

• Haha
I think many Docs take themselves way too seriously. These are the ones who were gunners in undergrad and worry about prestige of schools or residencies.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
pretty decent percentage of doctor's... kinda suck.
I think that is a stretch to say a "pretty decent percentage". Sure, there are those that do suck, but anecdotally saying that s decent amount seems unfair to be honest, unless you have actually come across 100s that actually sucked and can make that statement.

I think that is a stretch to say a "pretty decent percentage". Sure, there are those that do suck, but anecdotally saying that s decent amount seems unfair to be honest, unless you have actually come across 100s that actually sucked and can make that statement.
I'd say easily 25% of the probably 100-150 doctors I know are very unpleasant to deal with.

So yes I feel that I can say that.

Wow, that's a huge number. Would not want to be at your facility.
This has been across 4 hospital systems. My wife had similar experiences across 2 other ones.

so either the state of South Carolina has way more jerk doctors than everywhere else, or a decent percentage of doctors are jerks.

I strongly suspect the latter.

• Haha
This has been across 4 hospital systems. My wife had similar experiences across 2 other ones.

so either the state of South Carolina has way more jerk doctors than everywhere else, or a decent percentage of doctors are jerks.

I strongly suspect the latter.
Y'all be rolling your joints in Palmetto fronds is the problem....

• Hmm
At the med student panel at one of my interviews (at a T10 school), someone asked how the students' experiences were with the financial aid at the school. All 3 medical students there responded along the lines of "sorry, both of my parents are doctors, so I don't have experience with need-based aid." It was definitely an eye-opener to me, whose parental income is <$50k/year, and made me wonder how much their privilege helped them in getting to that prestigious position.

Dude, seriously, get over it. I grew up on food stamps. Snarking at others and discounting their accomplishments just because you're seething with jealousy is not cool. At all.

This thread seems to be full of people who don't understand wealth. I didn't either in college, but a dose of the real world will teach you quick that wealth and being rich isn't about how much you make and someone earning 200K doesn't necessarily mean they're rich. Can they be? Sure thing, just like the guy making 60K a year can be rich. Wealth is all about net worth. You'll all make 200K+ coming out of residency. For many of you, your net worth will be in the negative or slightly positive for several years after. Those of you living in San Fran, NYC, Miami, Boston will take longer to reach financial independence and thereby declare yourself "rich."

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Some perspective here. While we all worked hard and while we deserve every penny we end up making, it doesn't mean we're the only ones who work hard nor that everyone else was partying their way through college. There are a ton of people who can't even afford college and/or didn't have parents to keep them on the right track in school, people who were orphans and grew up in foster care, people who grew up in abusive households, people who didn't have the opportunities most of us had that got us here, and many of the ones who did go to college worked their butt off too, but not on this track. THOSE people are the ones who make up "most other people", not the party animals from the frat house who majored in European Literature.

Dude, seriously, get over it. I grew up on food stamps. Snarking at others and discounting their accomplishments just because you're seething with jealousy is not cool. At all.

This thread seems to be full of people who don't understand wealth. I didn't either in college, but a dose of the real world will teach you quick that wealth and being rich isn't about how much you make and someone earning 200K doesn't necessarily mean they're rich. Can they be? Sure thing, just like the guy making 60K a year can be rich. Wealth is all about net worth. You'll all make 200K+ coming out of residency. For many of you, your net worth will be in the negative or slightly positive for several years after. Those of you living in San Fran, NYC, Miami, Boston will take longer to reach financial independence and thereby declare yourself "rich."
Absolutely, well said.

Some perspective here. While we all worked hard and while we deserve every penny we end up making, it doesn't mean we're the only ones who work hard nor that everyone else was partying their way through college. There are a ton of people who can't even afford college and/or didn't have parents to keep them on the right track in school, people who were orphans and grew up in foster care, people who grew up in abusive households, people who didn't have the opportunities most of us had that got us here, and many of the ones who did go to college worked their butt off too, but not on this track. THOSE people are the ones who make up "most other people", not the party animals from the frat house who majored in European Literature.

Also the idea that med students have been/will always be the smartest and hardest working ever. Top 10% for sure but a lot of people are really smart and work really hard and don't have a chance at touching physician-level salaries

It is simply a fact that one's achievements are not solely the manifestation of their own merit. It is also a reflection of their upbringing and other people in their lives. And I'm sorry but you are not convincing me that a household making 10x the amount of income my family does is not "richer."

Good point. And I didn’t mean to disparage against others who genuinely come from underprivileged backgrounds. You are correct that I was mainly referring more specifically to other college educated individuals. No doubt that there are people with far fewer opportunities, but it should be noted that our system does go out of its way to help people from those backgrounds so they have at least some chance to move up.